What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I live on the road in an RV with my family... any questions (1 Viewer)

Glad you started the thread.

How's home schooling going? How did you set that up?

How are the kids' attitudes toward the experiences and each other? Is the family a lot closer?

Can't decide if I would love this or hate it. I love my family but I need some alone/decompressing time once in a while. Also I image it's difficult to get super crazy with the wife with the kids so close. I get that you're making sacrifices and such, just not sure it'd be for me.

Congrats on you living your life how you want to though.

Didn't someone else post an life experience like this, and his wife ended up with some dud named camper Steve in the showers with her bra missing, I be watching the campground showers

Reading this now is very timely. My wife and i have been discussing doing something like this for years. We had decided against it about 8 years ago because it wouldn't have been fair to our dog Buster. Now that Buster is dead (aids just kidding) we talked about it again a few months ago but my wife doesn't want to because she has started a home business cutting hair and doesn't think she'd be able to translate the business to an RV lifestyle. I have actually argued the other way and think that people in RV parks and campsites would welcome a haircut at a fair price. What do you think. Would you pay 10 or 15 dollars for a haircut in an RV park? Where do you get your haircuts now? She says now her business is mostly friends and feels like it would be pushy to go knock on an RV door and offer a haircut. I said all you need is a sign and they would come to our door and knock. She doesn't like that either because what if she doesn't want to work at that moment they knock. She does nails too.

Do you feel bad youre ruining your children's lives?
Really?
home schooling, living in trailer parks, not having any friends. Sounds like every kids dream!
Come to think of it, my 17 yo self would love traveling around the country trying to hook up with new chicks every week.
Yea, the "hey, wanna come back to the RV I share with my parents & younger siblings?" line never fails.

I think I'd love this for a month or two, but then I'd have to murder everyone and head for the border.

Reading this now is very timely. My wife and i have been discussing doing something like this for years. We had decided against it about 8 years ago because it wouldn't have been fair to our dog Buster. Now that Buster is dead (aids just kidding) we talked about it again a few months ago but my wife doesn't want to because she has started a home business cutting hair and doesn't think she'd be able to translate the business to an RV lifestyle. I have actually argued the other way and think that people in RV parks and campsites would welcome a haircut at a fair price. What do you think. Would you pay 10 or 15 dollars for a haircut in an RV park? Where do you get your haircuts now? She says now her business is mostly friends and feels like it would be pushy to go knock on an RV door and offer a haircut. I said all you need is a sign and they would come to our door and knock. She doesn't like that either because what if she doesn't want to work at that moment they knock. She does nails too.
Love it.

On the raod again.

Where are they going to gain the perspective that can only come from associating with other close friends about the craziness that inevitably reigns in your tenement on wheels?

Many references to weird people. Be honest, are you and your family a bit...different? Or do you consider yourselves to be fairly normal?

Link to some pics of your RV model? Did you buy new or used? I assume you're selling it when you move back into a house next year? How's the resale value of these things?

How comfortable are the sleeping arrangements?

Do you think you'll go back to this lifestyle when your kids are out of HS?

Lombardi would you ask your wife if she would get her nails done by another person at the RV park? Between that and the hair I think my wife could make good money. And in addition to that I thought it of another business where we sell snacks. You can buy bags of chips for 25 cents and then sell them for a dollar. Buy cases of soda and sell them for a dollar. I think it would easily pay for gas, food and the RV park fees. Then we can bank the hair and nail money for retirement. we get a sign for the RV that lights up and says "Snips'N'Snacks" and they come knocking on our door. We could offer specials - haircut, chips and a drink for 16 bucks. I ask my wife give me one good reason why it won't work and she can't. And yet here we are sitting at home night after night.

Actually I feel bad that I'm raising to leave the second they turn 18. I can't imagine them sticking around the neighborhood once they're of age. I'm anticipating having to chase them around the country to visit my grand kids some day.

How many Bible verses are written on the outside of your RV?
Actually none. I cut too many people off to advertise my faith.

When everyone wants to not be behind the big giant RV, sometimes you have to just live by the biggest vehicle wins the merge maxim.

Glad you started the thread.

How's home schooling going? How did you set that up?

How are the kids' attitudes toward the experiences and each other? Is the family a lot closer?
Home schooling is going great so far, completely sold. No matter if we stop or not we're going to home school all the kids through middle school. Middle school is evil.

Can't decide if I would love this or hate it. I love my family but I need some alone/decompressing time once in a while. Also I image it's difficult to get super crazy with the wife with the kids so close. I get that you're making sacrifices and such, just not sure it'd be for me.

Congrats on you living your life how you want to though.
Thanks. It's a trade off. There are things I look forward too once we stop but none of the things we've sacrificed are even close to worth the amazing two years we've had. We've given the kids, and ourselves, a lifetime of memories and they're not even old enough to drive yet.

Really?
home schooling, living in trailer parks, not having any friends. Sounds like every kids dream!
Haterz gotta hate...

We actually are very sensitive to the kids needs. If you ask them about it they'll be honest about the things they miss and want when we get home but they LOVE travelling. They're not old enough to really appreciate some of it but they certainly recognize how amazing their life is right now. They all have loved the trip.

But you're probably right, I'm sure they'd be in much better hands going to public school and playing xbox all day. That way they'll fit in with the rest of society when they're older.

Willie Neslon said:
This is actually interesting. I've never seen it but if I did I would totally let someone in a camper cut my hair. Not sure if my mom would.

I think I would hang a sign or something outside my RV but not sure how many people would do it.

A better idea may be to call ahead to RV Parks, ask if you can do like a haircut event or seminar or something. Make it into some kind of activity and people will flock to it. Have her work for tips and she'll probably end up with more customers and average more than $10/$15 a cut. I don't know, that's a guess.

A lot of campgrounds are looking for someone to do activities, may even get some free weeks of camping out of it.

pollardsvision said:
Real tomato ketchup, Eddie?
Lombardi, I really have to know.....Around the holiday's when RV folk are emptying the "black tank" do they greet each other with a "Merry Christmas, ####ter was full!"
No, but if someone did I would fall out laughing. Not much socializing around the dump, kind of like being at a urinal. Do your business, keep to yourself, move along.

joffer said:
I think I'd love this for a month or two, but then I'd have to murder everyone and head for the border.
You'd be surprised. the first month or two take some adjustment but it really does bring the whole family together.

It worked for Robin Williams, it will work for anyone.

I worked from home for years so I was already used to being around all day every day, that would be a big adjustment for some guys.

T Bell said:
Where are they going to gain the perspective that can only come from associating with other close friends about the craziness that inevitably reigns in your tenement on wheels?
If anything we're giving these kids a perspective that most kids their age will have for another 10 years. The one thing I know we're doing right is opening up horizons and showing them possibilities. I wish I had this experience that young, i would have ruled the world in my late teens and 20's.

dgreen said:
Many references to weird people. Be honest, are you and your family a bit...different? Or do you consider yourselves to be fairly normal?

Link to some pics of your RV model? Did you buy new or used? I assume you're selling it when you move back into a house next year? How's the resale value of these things?

How comfortable are the sleeping arrangements?

Do you think you'll go back to this lifestyle when your kids are out of HS?
Actually we're pretty normal, we just make slightly radical big life decisions. We have tons of friends, we're considered very responsible and likeable. I think we're socially normal, we just don't feel like we have to conform to way of life many people live. We have made many financial sacrifices in our life for more time with each other (as a married couple), more time with our family, and more time to travel and experience things.

https://www.google.com/search?q=2007+wildcat+fifth+wheel&espv=210&es_sm=93&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=YDKQUprWKdTioAS6vYC4Cw&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1440&bih=808

We bought new from RVWHolesalers. Their price was REALLY good and I although I was looking used I couldn't find anything cheaper and new enough that made me turn away from the new model. Doing it over agian I would probably be more patient and look for a used deal on a 2-3 year old RV. I'm planning on keeping it. We'll do summer trips. Resale value sucks, more like car than a house.

Kids each have a bunk, 14yo is about 5'11" and it's getting a little tight for him. We have a queen sized bed with a crappy mattress but a 4" foam pad that makes it MUCH more comfortable.

I think when kids leave the nest we'll definitely at least part time, possibly full time. If I still have the kind of job that allows it. When we retire we probably will travel like this. We could live SO much cheaper this way if we werent sight seeing every day. Although we've discussed the possibility of learning to sail and getting a sailboat when we retire. Who knows.

Willie Neslon said:
Lombardi would you ask your wife if she would get her nails done by another person at the RV park? Between that and the hair I think my wife could make good money. And in addition to that I thought it of another business where we sell snacks. You can buy bags of chips for 25 cents and then sell them for a dollar. Buy cases of soda and sell them for a dollar. I think it would easily pay for gas, food and the RV park fees. Then we can bank the hair and nail money for retirement. we get a sign for the RV that lights up and says "Snips'N'Snacks" and they come knocking on our door. We could offer specials - haircut, chips and a drink for 16 bucks. I ask my wife give me one good reason why it won't work and she can't. And yet here we are sitting at home night after night.
I think some RV Parks might get upset because you're moving in on their camp store sales/concessions. Some of these places have small margins and I think you could run into trouble. I would definitely try to do this with the blessing of the Parks in some way. LIke I said, make it a nail/hair event or seminar. Charge a small fee or free and work for tips. Get something in return from RV Park like free stay.

Also, look for local fairs and festivals and maybe set up shop there and sell stuff. We're ALWAYS running across farmers markets and fairs. We ran into someone who make money mixing their own tea blends and putting htem in little mason jars iwth nice girly frilly ribbons and stuff. WE bought one (great tea). All kinds of people make a living selling stuff on the road.

eoMMan said:
Any pets?

How often do you and the Mrs. hump?

How many guns are you packing?
No pets except for my little girls stuffed animals.

I think I've given as much carnal info as I'm going to in this thread.

I don't have a gun but I actually wish I had gotten one before I left, just for safety. I've never needed it but sometimes we're really out in the boonies all by ourselves. YOu just have to watch where you are. Don't want to drive through NYC with your gun in the RV.

Willie Neslon said:
This has legs.

Binky The Doormat said:
How/when do you and your wife do the McLovin?
Already answered above. We have doors and we go to bed later.
Sorry - missed that. Isn't hard to be so incredibly quiet?
We already have kids, it's always an issue with children in the house unless you live in a larger house than we've ever had. Maybe slightly more so than at home but we're night owls so kids are asleep. As far as that all goes there really isn't much difference between being on the road and being home. Biggest difference is not having any dates on the road. Son is finally old enough to babysit so we're starting to get out some, but only for a couple hours. Dinner and a movie. We've laos had some friends watch kids for a day and even a overnight last year. That lack of alone time to just hang out with my wife is probably one of the harder things.

Users who are viewing this thread