What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

Tipsy, I'm going to attempt to quit again soon -- I plan to use this thread to let out some steam from time to time -- keep up the good fight :thumbup:
quit when you want to. find the motivation, then do it. ill be here for you....i hope.

Reading this thread is like watching a car wreck, I just can't turn away.  While part of me wants to say:

"Tipsy, go ahead, just have one last cigarette for old time sake" :stirspot:

The other part of me wants to say:

"Tipsy, you are doing great.  Just think about the extra time you will be able to spend with your kid(s), and one day hopefully granchild(ren).  Don't voluntarily cut your life short for a temporary nicotine satisfaction" :clap:

Honestly though I am pulling for you.  Cigarette smokers are not high on my list of people I root for, because I feel you are all weak minded fools.  But if there was a way to force you to stop (short of death) available, like maybe via pill or something, I'd donate some cash to the effort.

G'luck! :thumbup:
PM me for my paypal account #. I am taking cash donations!I am setting up a savings account for my son that I will put $5 a day in (or a once a week deposit of $35+) to show some of the fruit of this quitting.
Great idea..... :thumbup:

Ok. . .in

You make it to the end of fat camp (10/31) and I'll throw $10 into that account for your son. It would be more, but, well. . .I'm a 25 year old kid trying to get a life started. If we can get some other FBG's in on this you might have a nice little nest egg to add to the $140/month you're putting in the son fund.

For example, $200 plus $140 a month for 18 years assuming 8% return would mean your son would have over $68k for college or a down payment on a house. That's really cool.

C'mon, FFA. . .let's lend one of our own a hand.
I'm in. $10 for your son if you're still smoke free on 10/31 :thumbup:

Ok. . .in

You make it to the end of fat camp (10/31) and I'll throw $10 into that account for your son.  It would be more, but, well. . .I'm a 25 year old kid trying to get a life started.  If we can get some other FBG's in on this you might have a nice little nest egg to add to the $140/month you're putting in the son fund.

For example, $200 plus $140 a month for 18 years assuming 8% return would mean your son would have over $68k for college or a down payment on a house.  That's really cool.

C'mon, FFA. . .let's lend one of our own a hand.
I'm in. $10 for your son if you're still smoke free on 10/31 :thumbup:
Tipsy,Smoke free 10/31 = $10 from guru_007 too! You may have to PM me as I may forget all about this thread. But if you start smoking again..... :stirspot:

That and Tipsy is having a really rough time quitting, and he's doing it for really honorable reasons, imo, and if there's a shred of anything I can do to help someone like that out, I'll do it.
Then give your money to cancer research. The needs of the many, blah blah blah.

That and Tipsy is having a really rough time quitting, and he's doing it for really honorable reasons, imo, and if there's a shred of anything I can do to help someone like that out, I'll do it.
please see my sig or click here for Livestrong if you want to donate more than to just Tipsy (although he is a worthwhile cause ;) )

Last edited by a moderator:
Good luck, Tipsy, but its funny seeing you bash yourself constantly throughout this thread.I dont mean that in a bad way, its just funny seeing you yell at yourself.

This is funny; Please guys...no cash. That makes me feel all cheap inside. If I do indeed stay smoke free through october, than give me props. I would rather any extra money yall have go towards helping people who struggle to feed their families.Your support is all i want. And a good #### kicking if i fail.

This is funny; Please guys...no cash. That makes me feel all cheap inside. If I do indeed stay smoke free through october, than give me props. I would rather any extra money yall have go towards helping people who struggle to feed their families.

Your support is all i want. And a good #### kicking if i fail.
very honorable but if people want to help they should click here! :thumbup: edited to add: don't mean to harp on contributing to LAF but my friend's mom just passed away a few weeks from lung cancer after being diagnosed 2 months ago (at the time 100% healthy by all appearances). LAF has some great systems in place to deal with the battle including their free binder book that shows the steps to fight. Great operation IMO.

Good luck, Tipsy, but its funny seeing you bash yourself constantly throughout this thread.

I dont mean that in a bad way, its just funny seeing you yell at yourself.
I've tried everything else. I deserve to be yelled at & have someone be rigorously honest to me 24/7. Whom better than one of my own personalities?YOU ARE WEAK TIPSY!

Just because you have made it 85 hours without a smoke doesn't make you any stronger. Your stupid head will try to convince you tonight at work that one would be ok. I wouldn't be surprised if you did have one. Stupid piece of crap.

And don't get a big head thinking your 3.8 miles of walking this morning helped either. Now you are tired & want to smoke. Especially after that so called "healthy" lunch you had. :rant:

(actually, i feel ok right now...but am preparing myself for the eventual cravings tonight will bring.)

very honorable but if people want to help they should click here! :thumbup:

edited to add: don't mean to harp on contributing to LAF but my friend's mom just passed away a few weeks from lung cancer after being diagnosed 2 months ago (at the time 100% healthy by all appearances). LAF has some great systems in place to deal with the battle including their free binder book that shows the steps to fight. Great operation IMO.
The Lance foundation is a great org to give money too. I won't knock you for harping on it.

please see my sig or click here for Livestrong if you want to donate more than to just Tipsy (although he is a worthwhile cause ;) )
Me? I don't want to donate anything to anybody.

This is funny; Please guys...no cash. That makes me feel all cheap inside. If I do indeed stay smoke free through october, than give me props. I would rather any extra money yall have go towards helping people who struggle to feed their families.

Your support is all i want. And a good #### kicking if i fail.
I realize, and in no way intend to insinuate that you need the money. I'm sure you don't, and it's only $10.However, if you know that there's 15 people that want to help your son, and they're waiting on you to see if they can do it, I think that's a bit of extra motivation, and that's all I was trying to do.

My offer stands, but I'll in no way try to force you to accept. :thumbup:
I really appreciate the offer man. You have been very supportive during this battle. I will accept the money, but only as a contribution to some charitable org.I guess i'll choose the Lance Armstrong Foundation as what I would prefer ya'll contribute to.

Ok beaver, in the last year my money has gone to cancer research, diabetes research (grandmother died of it), the AIDS crisis in Africa, as well as my tithe. I'm not here to brag, but if I want to help another FBG out with a measley $10, it's none of your business. Let's see what charitable organizations you support before you start running your buck-toothed mouth.Good of you to judge me trying to help Tipsy out though. . .really Smoo, that's just top shelf. You should be proud of yourself.

Back on track. . .anybody else?

Edit. . . :own3d:
You almost completely failed to get the point, but carry on.

You almost completely failed to get the point, but carry on.
You almost completely failed to communicate any point, but I didn't bother pointing it out.
You're going to have to trust that the fact you didn't see a point doesn't automatically correlate to a failure on my end. My point was pretty clear.

I wanted to write a little bit about how hard this has been for the first 3 days while it is still fresh in my mind. Maybe my later cravings will afford me enough time to reflect on how hard this process is. My last smoke was extinguished on Sunday morning at 12:00 am (more like Saturday night...but you get it) on August 21, 2005. I came home from work that evening and looked at my son sleeping in his crib for about 30 minutes, nearly crying because I had failed on my earlier promise to quit smoking completely just two weeks before. I made the promise to anyone who would here it. My mom, my sister, my wife, my friends, co-workers, and even to my version of God. I had become a true junkie; sneaking smokes from coworker’s purses, taking their hand rolled tobacco from the break area out back, begging neighbors for them, and eventually just buying a pack. One pack became 2. 2 became 3. I knew I had totally relapsed within 1 week of trying to quit. My self-esteem was falling through the floor. I was not strong enough to quit. It really pissed me off. I had asked two of my good friends & fellow FBG's to give me grief if they suspected me of smoking. They complied...but I just ignored it. At least until I got home & realized how much of a dirt bag I had become. I had to do something. I broke my promise to my son. I suck.Saturday came. My mother came to town. I admitted to her that I was struggling with "quitting". She called BS & told me I wasn't quitting, I was kidding myself. I went to work around 4 pm & immediately found someone’s pack of camel lights (my brand no less) hanging out back. I of course helped myself to one...then 2...eventually smoking half this guys pack. It being someone I had always given smokes to, figure it was ok. "Didn't you just hang a sign up this week with a picture of your kid & the caption "please don't let my daddy smoke” my cook said to me when busting me stealing his smokes. "That’s just sad Tipsy. Have some self respect man...stop for your son." The shame spiral had finally hit bottom for me. I couldn't take it anymore. That is until about 5 more smokes that night while closing.I didn't sleep that night. At least not more than 30 minutes at a time. I was so disgusted with myself that I again made the promise to quit. This time, I just made the promise to myself.Day 1. Finally got out of bed around 9 am & proceeded to get more & more irritable. The eventual emotional outburst involved me yelling at my wife & my mother. It had only been about 10 hours since I had a smoke and already the withdrawals were intense. Each minute found a new "trigger" and not reacting to each one was making me very angry. I am pretty sure I caused my mother to leave a couple of hours earlier than she was planning due to the mood. By 5 pm or so, I was physically & mentally exhausted. I started eating everything in the house...even the bag of croutons I had for my wife’s salads. Took a xanex (1/2 actually) and fell asleep.Day 2. I cannot believe I went to work on Monday. Thank god we only had 8 tables that evening and a couple of brand new staff members. I had many opportunities to steal smokes from the guys in back, but managed to restrain myself. Chewed at least 10 pieces of gum that evening. My energy level was hitting complete bottom again at the end of the night. My irritability was unbelievable, even for me. Some table of German folks ordered an espresso around 930 & I had to make it...after cursing them out under my breath for a full minute..."stupid euro trash mf'ers...how the hell can you drink espresso at 930 pm, stupid idiots” and so on. New waitress sort of heard me and the look of disbelief on her face was priceless. She was truly scared of me at that point. I don't know how, but I managed to stay smoke free for another 24 hours. The 36 hours between noon on Sunday & midnight Monday were unbelievably difficult. Every 5 minutes at least had a trigger begging me to have a smoke. It was like walking around with Peens in my head going "just have a shmokeee" all day. :excited: (had to use that emoticon for Peens sake) Went to bed very unhappy with myself.Day 3. The energy started coming back. Cravings started coming down. But when they hit, they were just as tough as the first two days. I felt like I would burst out of my skin at any moment on Tuesday. Finally took some advice from the FFA & took the kid out for a mile walk or so. Also had some aggression therapy with the banana trees in my back yard for about an hour. Eventually went to the restaurant and spent the first hour of my shift watering the plants outside. Managed to only snap at my employees in the last hour of the shift. I heard one of them say, "I liked him better when he was a smoker" as I was walking out of the kitchen. I came back later and told this new cook that I too liked myself better as a smoker. But I had to quit and he had to suffer through with me or find a new job. what a #####. :hot: This is the kind of stuff I don't want to go through again. Being a raging jerk to everyone around me is not something I really enjoy. Being so gripped up that I have to go outside & butcher poor defenseless banana trees with a Chinese cleaver isn't cool. Needing to eat an entire jar of peaches, and 1/2 bag of croutons, 2 ham sandwiches, a box of Melba toast, and 2 liters of coca cola just won't cut it anymore.Rant over.

I thought smoo was trying to quit too.

Status?

Keep up the good work tipsy.
I quit 17 days ago. Calling it "trying" undermines the action. It's done.
you said yesterday you had one on day 6 or so and some puffs another time. sounds like you are still "trying". but to each his own. for me...no nicotine whatsoever or it is time to start over. My quit date reflects just that.86 hours since I 86'd smoking!

Status?

you said yesterday you had one on day 6 or so and some puffs another time. sounds like you are still "trying". but to each his own. for me...no nicotine whatsoever or it is time to start over. My quit date reflects just that.86 hours since I 86'd smoking!
Any chance you'll send a piece of Key Lime pie????? :wub:

Status?

You would have a point if my goal was to never have another cigarette again. That's not my goal and never has been. My goal is to not purchase cigarettes or smoke regularly. 2 cigarettes in 3 weeks is far from "regularly". I know a great many non-smokers who occasionally bum a smoke from a buddy for a quick rush. I am one of those people. I'm exactly where I intended to be.

Sweet, I check in to see how Tipsy is doing (been lurking since page 1) and get treated to a Smoo/Proninja slap-fest instead.And for what it's worth Tip, try not to degrade and belittle yourself so much. Making a conscience decision to quit is definitely a positive and something you should be proud of. Even if it isn't the first time you've made the decision. Especially considering you're doing this for your family, a very adult and 'manly' thing to do. The cravings and weakness are all normal. You're not feeling them just because you're weak. Each hour/day/week/month you fight and defeat those cravings is an opportunity to look at yourself in the mirror and feel proud.So go ahead, puff out your chest and strut your fat ### around a bit. You're kicking the habbit and winning. That's something to be happy and proud of. Of course, if you do fail, then feel free to call yourself every name in the book, and take the cat-o-nine-tails to your weak ### (Rev. Dimsdale style) if you want.

Status?

You would have a point if my goal was to never have another cigarette again. That's not my goal and never has been. My goal is to not purchase cigarettes or smoke regularly. 2 cigarettes in 3 weeks is far from "regularly". I know a great many non-smokers who occasionally bum a smoke from a buddy for a quick rush. I am one of those people. I'm exactly where I intended to be.
again; to each his own. I spent the last 2 weeks before this current round of quitting "not buying any". That led me right back to buying them within a week and a half. you have stated your goal is to not spend the money on them. good luck with that. I hope your nicotine habit is less strong than mine...which forces me to spend the money even when i don't want too just to shut that voice up. But again, it sounds like you don't want to be a nonsmoker, just a non purchaser of smokes. To me, that is the definition of addicted.

Sweet, I check in to see how Tipsy is doing (been lurking since day 1) and get treated to a Smoo/Proninja slap-fest instead.

And for what it's worth Tip, try not to degrade and belittle yourself so much. Making a conscience decision to quit is definitely a positive and something you should be proud of. Even if it isn't the first time you've made the decision. Especially considering you're doing this for your family, a very adult and 'manly' thing to do.

The cravings and weakness are all normal. You're not feeling them just because you're weak. Each hour/day/week/month you fight and defeat those cravings is a opportunity to look at yourself in the mirror and feel proud.

So go ahead, puff out your chest and strut your fat ### around a bit. You're kicking the habbit and winning. That's something to be happy and proud of.

Of course, if you do fail, then feel free to call yourself every name in the book, and take the cat-o-nine-tails to your weak ### (Rev. Dimsdale style) if you want.
I am calling myself out tounge in cheek style. I am proud of myself so far. I just cannot afford to be holier than thou or become complacent at this point. Its far better reading to see me yell at myself too! Enjoy!

Status?

again; to each his own. I spent the last 2 weeks before this current round of quitting "not buying any". That led me right back to buying them within a week and a half. you have stated your goal is to not spend the money on them. good luck with that. I hope your nicotine habit is less strong than mine...which forces me to spend the money even when i don't want too just to shut that voice up. But again, it sounds like you don't want to be a nonsmoker, just a non purchaser of smokes. To me, that is the definition of addicted.
:lmao: I think you missed the part where I've had 2 smokes in the last 17 days. I could convert that to hours for you if you like.I'm not trying to belittle your personal progress, I'm just saying you're going to have to trust me when I tell you I'm not getting uncontrollable cravings.

:lmao: I think you missed the part where I've had 2 smokes in the last 17 days. I could convert that to hours for you if you like.

I'm not trying to belittle your personal progress, I'm just saying you're going to have to trust me when I tell you I'm not getting uncontrollable cravings.
This is what it was like for me when I quit. . .I only smoked for a couple of years, so when I quit, yeah, it was tough, but I could have a cig and not jump right back into it. . .heck, had a couple last week, paid for it in the morning workout, and now have no desire to do it again.
:hot: I'll never be able to have one again. Nature of my addiction.

Status?

I think this can work.I smoke maybe 5 cigs a month. I don't get addicted and make sure i only do it while out having a drink or something.

I've done this for the past 8 years, so it works for me and doesn't cause me to become a full fledged smoker.

I should say (if i follow the teachings of Bill W. & other self help gurus) cannot have one today!BS. I have to tell myself I can't have them again. Quitting sucks & I never want to go through this again.

I think this can work.

I smoke maybe 5 cigs a month. I don't get addicted and make sure i only do it while out having a drink or something.

I've done this for the past 8 years, so it works for me and doesn't cause me to become a full fledged smoker.
I want to mention at this point that I am not trying to convert others into my program here. I am fine with whatever you choose to do, but have to adhere to strict nosmokingever policy for myself. I had 2 or 3 years without smoking once when I was 20 - 22. One night of drinking & having a couple led me right back to where I am today. Quitting as a 20 year old was much easier back then. I had only been a smoker for 6 years or so, and definitely didn't smoke as much as I have been until recently.

Status?

I think this can work.I smoke maybe 5 cigs a month. I don't get addicted and make sure i only do it while out having a drink or something.

I want to mention at this point that I am not trying to convert others into my program here. I am fine with whatever you choose to do, but have to adhere to strict nosmokingever policy for myself. I had 2 or 3 years without smoking once when I was 20 - 22. One night of drinking & having a couple led me right back to where I am today. Quitting as a 20 year old was much easier back then. I had only been a smoker for 6 years or so, and definitely didn't smoke as much as I have been until recently.
True, i was never a heavy smoker. It's probably different for someone who has smoked heavy for years.I mainly just use a smoke to get a quick rush when drinking to wake me up.

:lmao: I think you missed the part where I've had 2 smokes in the last 17 days. I could convert that to hours for you if you like.

I'm not trying to belittle your personal progress, I'm just saying you're going to have to trust me when I tell you I'm not getting uncontrollable cravings.
This is what it was like for me when I quit. . .I only smoked for a couple of years, so when I quit, yeah, it was tough, but I could have a cig and not jump right back into it. . .heck, had a couple last week, paid for it in the morning workout, and now have no desire to do it again.
:hot: I'll never be able to have one again. Nature of my addiction.
Do you have an addictive personality by nature? 'Cause I don't. I smoked because I liked it, and there may have been some chemical addiction, but at 17 days that's gone now. So I'm not having trouble not smoking, and I can have one now and then and not feel the need for another. But if you're a naturally addictive person, then it would of course be more difficult.

I was really just reiterating my need to never have one again. Curious as to how many you used to smoke in a day (average).
Anywhere from 15-20. More on weekends.

Do you have an addictive personality by nature? 'Cause I don't. I smoked because I liked it, and there may have been some chemical addiction, but at 17 days that's gone now. So I'm not having trouble not smoking, and I can have one now and then and not feel the need for another. But if you're a naturally addictive person, then it would of course be more difficult.
Like nobodys business. Just ask Domepatrol.

I was really just reiterating my need to never have one again. Curious as to how many you used to smoke in a day (average).
props to you then. i hate to wish this on ya, but i hope you stay poor enough so smoking isn't affordable to you. :)

props to you then. i hate to wish this on ya, but i hope you stay poor enough so smoking isn't affordable to you. :)
Ah, it's not just the cost, although that's a big part. I also started cycling again, and I quickly realized "I should be able to cycle farther than this. I shouldn't be this out of breath already." So that's another impetus for the change.

Ah, it's not just the cost, although that's a big part. I also started cycling again, and I quickly realized "I should be able to cycle farther than this. I shouldn't be this out of breath already." So that's another impetus for the change.
TWS

Sweet, I check in to see how Tipsy is doing (been lurking since page 1) and get treated to a Smoo/Proninja slap-fest instead.

And for what it's worth Tip, try not to degrade and belittle yourself so much. Making a conscience decision to quit is definitely a positive and something you should be proud of. Even if it isn't the first time you've made the decision. Especially considering you're doing this for your family, a very adult and 'manly' thing to do.

The cravings and weakness are all normal. You're not feeling them just because you're weak. Each hour/day/week/month you fight and defeat those cravings is an opportunity to look at yourself in the mirror and feel proud.

So go ahead, puff out your chest and strut your fat ### around a bit. You're kicking the habbit and winning. That's something to be happy and proud of.

Of course, if you do fail, then feel free to call yourself every name in the book, and take the cat-o-nine-tails to your weak ### (Rev. Dimsdale style) if you want.
:goodposting: Well said GP.

you are addicted. once an addict always an addict. you used to smoke 15-20/day and now only a few a month. doesn't matter. you're still an addict. i'm a smoking addict. i used to smoke a pack a day and now only with friends drinking. it's actually hard for me NOT to smoke around smokers when i'm drinking so i acknowledge I'm an addict and try to make a rational decision - I usually end up smoking and regretting it the next day. unfortunately now I feel like a good buzz has to include a smoke which is BS.

Hour number 87 has come & gone. And I didn't even have a craving!

:pickle:
i put your info in to the silkquit meter as a midnight sat night (really sunday) and smoking 25 cigs/day. here you go:Three days, 16 hours, 10 minutes and 18 seconds. 91 cigarettes not smoked, saving $17.22. Life saved: 7 hours, 35 minutes.

Users who are viewing this thread