What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

120 hours of non smoking. 5 full days. Good job Tipsy. I have had no major cravings today, just some mild "where are my smokes" and realizing "oh yeah, I quit. Cool.

120 hours of non smoking. 5 full days. Good job Tipsy.

I have had no major cravings today, just some mild "where are my smokes" and realizing "oh yeah, I quit. Cool.
:thumbup: I really shouldn't feel as proud as I do about someone I know only as "tipsy mcstagger," but, what the hey, I do. Good job. Keep it up.
I have appreciated your support here.

I quit smoking last summer, and am somewhat lucky because smoking now makes me sick as a dog.
How would you know smoking made you sick if you quit?
Because the couple times I had the drunk late night smoke, I was misrable the next day, beyond any hangover ever.
I guess your definition of quitting and mine are different. Quitting to me means you never smoke again.
. . . for some people, that does mean never doing it again.
:goodposting:

I quit smoking last summer, and am somewhat lucky because smoking now makes me sick as a dog.
How would you know smoking made you sick if you quit?
Because the couple times I had the drunk late night smoke, I was misrable the next day, beyond any hangover ever.
I guess your definition of quitting and mine are different. Quitting to me means you never smoke again.
That's not normal human behaviour.I understand that people with addictive personalities need to make these kind of pledges, but not everybody does. Millions of people every day engage in vice-like behaviour with acceptable degrees of moderation. They can do something a little bit without doing it full speed. There are millions of people who have a few drinks after woork quite often who are not alcoholics. There are millions of people who play the occasional game of poker without spending their lives gambling. And there are millions of people who have the occasional cigarette or cigar without immediately smoking an entire pack.

Quitting means no longer doing something at an addictive level. And yes, for some people, that does mean never doing it again. But it doesn't have to.
I realized that I had already responded to Pick once, and thought better of trying again.
:yawn:

I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe what I'm about to say is a Honda. I quit smoking 5 years ago after a 40+ years of doing 1 1/2 to 2 packs daily. I had tried to quit many, many times over that period, but I guess I just didn't want to quit badly enough. Eventually I got to the point where the smoking was like being in jail -- the cigarettes were controlling me. That's when I decided to quit.

My doctor helped big-time. He prescribed something called Wellbutrin and told me to use the patches along with it. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant medication, given to help relieve certain kinds of depression. But catch this: Wellbutrin is a brand name for bupropion, the same medication that's marketed as the stop-smoking drug Zyban. According to my doc, insurance complanies will not pay for a stop-smoking drug, but will pay for an antidepressant. Anyhow, this combination worked for me with, surprisingly, little effort. Within 90 days I was smoke-free and never went back.

But as I said, you have to want to do it.

<Stepping off soap box>

Good luck!

I haven't read all of this thread, so maybe what I'm about to say is a Honda. I quit smoking 5 years ago after a 40+ years of doing 1 1/2 to 2 packs daily. I had tried to quit many, many times over that period, but I guess I just didn't want to quit badly enough. Eventually I got to the point where the smoking was like being in jail -- the cigarettes were controlling me. That's when I decided to quit.

My doctor helped big-time. He prescribed something called Wellbutrin and told me to use the patches along with it. Wellbutrin is an antidepressant medication, given to help relieve certain kinds of depression. But catch this: Wellbutrin is a brand name for bupropion, the same medication that's marketed as the stop-smoking drug Zyban. According to my doc, insurance complanies will not pay for a stop-smoking drug, but will pay for an antidepressant. Anyhow, this combination worked for me with, surprisingly, little effort. Within 90 days I was smoke-free and never went back.

<Stepping off soap box>

Good luck!
How long were you on the Wellburton and the patches before you finally stopped all together?

<Stepping off soap box>

Good luck!
Very good to hear you kicked the bastiges....nice work. 132 hours!

Just had my 4th walk in 4 days. Today was more of a walk-run. Just a little under 6 miles! Feeling great!

It's kind of sad/funny that you're still counting the hours! (It's like when a child is born, and at first you talk about their age in days, then weeks, etc.) I'm sure all of us (incl. you) will feel better when you're talking in days, and then weeks, and then months or years. Of course for you, feeling better will take on more significance than our second-hand enjoyment of your progress. Keep at it!

How long were you on the Wellburton and the patches before you finally stopped all together?
I might have cheated a little at first (don't recall), but I remember that I dumped the patches after about a week and stayed with the Welbutrin for the 90-day period. With the Welbutrin, my cravings were never very strong right from the get-go, but after 90 days any cravings I had were gone entirely. Quitting with wellbutrin was really not hard at all!

Last edited by a moderator:
I might have cheated a little at first (don't recall), but I remember that I dumped the patches after about a week and stayed with the Welbutrin for the 90-day period. With the Welbutrin, my cravings were never very strong right from the get-go, but after 90 days any cravings I had were gone entirely. Quitting with wellbutrin was really not hard at all!
Thanks for responding. I'll let BSR know.

It's kind of sad/funny that you're still counting the hours! (It's like when a child is born, and at first you talk about their age in days, then weeks, etc.) I'm sure all of us (incl. you) will feel better when you're talking in days, and then weeks, and then months or years. Of course for you, feeling better will take on more significance than our second-hand enjoyment of your progress. Keep at it!
No-no...enjoy!I was going hour to hour until today mainly. It was a way of keeping the cravings in check for me. I find it amusing too, but it has helped to this point.

BTW: 45 minutes till a full 6 days without cigarettes. :)

Even with a major hurricane possibly bearing down on my city, I still don't want a cigarette.

Thats so cool! Let's see if this stays true when Nawlins is being destroyed.

6.5 days!

OK, I'll try to sweeten the pot for ya TM. Assuming Joe doesn't jack up the membership cost too much next year, if you can make it through till the day after the superbowl without lighting up, I'll buy your FBG membership next year. Seriously. I'll just have to take your word for it. It isn't a bet, just an incentive. If you don't make it, hey, at least I tried to help. BSR, if you're out there lurking and your wife confirms that you also don't smoke through the superbowl, I'll include you on the deal as well.I'm serious. A free year of fantasy football info (pretty good info at that) in exchange for not killing yourself or others around you with smoke for a few months. Hell with the money you save on cigs you could buy yourself 20 memberships or treat the wives to a nice night out. If that isn't incentive, I dunno what is.No, in all seriousness, the offer stands for both of you. Just keep us posted.

OK, I'll try to sweeten the pot for ya TM. Assuming Joe doesn't jack up the membership cost too much next year, if you can make it through till the day after the superbowl without lighting up, I'll buy your FBG membership next year. Seriously. I'll just have to take your word for it. It isn't a bet, just an incentive. If you don't make it, hey, at least I tried to help.

BSR, if you're out there lurking and your wife confirms that you also don't smoke through the superbowl, I'll include you on the deal as well.

I'm serious. A free year of fantasy football info (pretty good info at that) in exchange for not killing yourself or others around you with smoke for a few months. Hell with the money you save on cigs you could buy yourself 20 memberships or treat the wives to a nice night out. If that isn't incentive, I dunno what is.

No, in all seriousness, the offer stands for both of you. Just keep us posted.
ty very much. we have been over the incentive thing before....any cash you would want to offer me should be donated to a worthy cause (Lance Foundation, ACS, etc).I appreciate the offer, but at this point I just have a house to move back into next week!

And if I make it through this hurricane stress (like i have so far amazingly...haven't really craved at all during this) without it, I will be fine!

Pray for my city!

OK, I'll try to sweeten the pot for ya TM. Assuming Joe doesn't jack up the membership cost too much next year, if you can make it through till the day after the superbowl without lighting up, I'll buy your FBG membership next year. Seriously. I'll just have to take your word for it. It isn't a bet, just an incentive. If you don't make it, hey, at least I tried to help.

BSR, if you're out there lurking and your wife confirms that you also don't smoke through the superbowl, I'll include you on the deal as well.

I'm serious. A free year of fantasy football info (pretty good info at that) in exchange for not killing yourself or others around you with smoke for a few months. Hell with the money you save on cigs you could buy yourself 20 memberships or treat the wives to a nice night out. If that isn't incentive, I dunno what is.

No, in all seriousness, the offer stands for both of you. Just keep us posted.
ty very much. we have been over the incentive thing before....any cash you would want to offer me should be donated to a worthy cause (Lance Foundation, ACS, etc).I appreciate the offer, but at this point I just have a house to move back into next week!

And if I make it through this hurricane stress (like i have so far amazingly...haven't really craved at all during this) without it, I will be fine!

Pray for my city!
Fair enough. Hang in there bro......

Still not having one. Category 5 headed for my city doesn't make smoking an option today. StrongWill like bull. Penis like russian bear. :scared:

Last night was a moment I knew I was winning this fight. Several days of the stress of Katrina, hanging out at the house where I had my relapse back in Feb, and one of my friends acting like the devil & telling me it would be fine to smoke last night with them. I held fast & told him to stuff it.9 Days!

Not going to have one to celebrate getting through Katrina? Just one little old cigarette? :stirspot:

Holy Smokes. Good job Tipsy!
:lmao: i did say i would accept no excuses this time. i mean it too. i had to beat my friend off with a stick the other day whom kept tempting me.

big test this weekend. my group of ATL friends are coming here to p'cola for labor day (if they find gas :eek: ). I will be the only nonsmoker. :(

:lmao: i did say i would accept no excuses this time. i mean it too. i had to beat my friend off with a stick the other day whom kept tempting me.

big test this weekend. my group of ATL friends are coming here to p'cola for labor day (if they find gas :eek: ). I will be the only nonsmoker. :(
Hypercorrection! HYPERCORRECTION!

Hypercorrection! HYPERCORRECTION!
:yes:

I failed. No excuses. I'm a weak man. :hot:
Join the club.Still having trouble going more than 3-4 days without a dip.

I think I may have to wait until we move out of the in-laws' house to give this a solid effort.

I have not read through the whole thread yet, but I will. I am nearing my 1 year anniversary quit. I quit 2 weeks before last year's OU - USC national title game. It was a miracle I made it through that game without firing up. IT CAN BE DONE.I kept my mouth busy with sunflower seeds and jolly rancher no fat candies. I still keep a supply of these on hand. They have really helped me kick.The first 3 months are pure hell. If you cave in and have JUST 1, then you will fail. You have to fight. I have never endured anything tougher.11 + months in, I still have dreams about firing up a smoke. But my cravings really subsided around 9 months in.Things I noticed : I could taste food again, my sexual performance improved, and I could sleep better at night. Those 3 things alone make it all worth it.Good luck to those trying to quit. If you want to pick my brain for any suggestions on how to quit, feel free to PM me.

He probably has not responded because he is on his stoop having one right now. Just try not to think of that cute little kid while you smoke Tipsy. :bye:

He probably has not responded because he is on his stoop having one right now. Just try not to think of that cute little kid while you smoke Tipsy. :bye:
As a matter of fact I was just having one. It's a little stressful living here in New Orleans right now, but you wouldn't know anything about that since you bailed. :boxing: OK, now that i'm done bashing my best friend for taking a once in a lifetime type job during the evacutaion.....

I am weak. I need to stop. I was doing really well until that whole evacuation thing, but I caved...no excuses, just lame justifications.

To the guy who posted this morning, oukurt I think....Nice Freaking Job dude. :thumbup:

As a matter of fact I was just having one. It's a little stressful living here in New Orleans right now, but you wouldn't know anything about that since you bailed. :boxing: OK, now that i'm done bashing my best friend for taking a once in a lifetime type job during the evacutaion.....

I am weak. I need to stop. I was doing really well until that whole evacuation thing, but I caved...no excuses, just lame justifications.

To the guy who posted this morning, oukurt I think....Nice Freaking Job dude. :thumbup:
i don't know if you're still looking for suggestions, but here's how i finally quit after trying unsuccessfully countless times. i smoked a pack a day or more and quit new years day 2003. i made up my mind i was going to go cold turkey (i'd tried the gum, zyban, gum, etc. before. nothingworked). i lasted 3 days like that until i absolutely couldn't take it anymore. as a last resort, i went and bought a nicotine patch. 5 minutes after i put it on i was doing much better. i stepped down through the various patch strengths over the next couple of months. don't get me wrong, quitting still sucked. but i think getting to the point where i was about rip my hair out and then getting that relief from the patch really helped psychologically. i don't know. just my two cents.

Things I noticed : I could taste food again, my sexual performance improved, and I could sleep better at night. Those 3 things alone make it all worth it.
Tipsy, for your wife's sake, quit dammit! BSR finally agreed to quit after the holidays. Here's to success. :fingerscrossed:

My prediction for this thread...

The new day one

The new new day one

The new new day one (again)

The NEW day one

The newer day one

The new newer day one

The newest day one

The real day one

The official day one

The ***official*** day one

The new ***official*** day one

The serious this time day one

No reall, this time for real day one

I am ####### serious day one

AAAGH! Damnit.

Smoking day one

Smoking day 3,658
:hot: Nice call however. :bag: You did miss one title.....The Last Day One!Mind Over Habit.

I have been thinking about quitting again for the last few weeks after I got a head cold and had to deal with all the lung biscuits & such. It is quickly approaching my 35th birthday, I'm fat & in about as bad of physical shape as I ever have been, and I just generally feel like complete crappola.

I have tried & failed many times over my life, including quite a few here in this thread. I find it funny that I was giving advice in this thread....what an jack donkey. Not even sure why I would subject myself to the ridicule I deserve from this thread, other than I have to "talk" about it again and I don't want to with the people around me. Every move I make at work is subject to ridicule from my chef, and he loves to hound on me when he senses I am ready to snap. So I haven't told anyone in my real life, other than my wife. I will let the rest of them figure it out for themselves and do my complaining in here. Squirrels & Domepatrol: Support or Ridicule....it matters not. I am following your mind over habit advice from way back squirrels.

Day one: September 28th 2006

I did not smoke today.

Everything else sucked. I decided with my last cig of the day on Wednesday @ 11:55pm that would be it. I really decided the day before when I bought 2 packs to get me through 18 holes...freaking shameful. I had cravings every 2 - 3 minutes at first and nearly lost my cool after the first 3 hours. The physical side of this thing is something scary. By the end of the night I was walking around work with the 1000 yard stare going. I didn't engage anyone at work for more than 30 seconds. They all knew I was out of sorts when I first came in, but since I went outside & stayed outside most of the night I'm sure they assumed I was smoking.

I remember thinking to myself last night that once I got home I could steal one of my wifes cigs and have it after midnight so nobody would see me. I actually laughed out loud at my brain trying to convince me to have one.

Wish me luck, make fun of me, give me advice....whatever. Feel free to call me on my BS if I start giving out advice or get the holier than thou attitude again.

Users who are viewing this thread