What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

Hang in there. This could be one of the hardest things you will ever do in your life but you CAN do it. Take it one minute, one hour, one day at a time and count each as a success. If you happen to fall off the wagon resolve to jump back on the next day, do not look at falling off the wagon as an excuse to go on a nicotine binge but as a small mistep that you can easily recover from. Good luck!

You can do this, Tipsy.

Stop looking forward to your last cigarette. Tell yourself you've already smoked it. It's a bad relationship and it needs to end.I'm five months in now and I feel great. All those people who tell you how good it feels to be a non-smoker, they're not lying. It really does make you feel better.

:hot: Nice call however. :bag: You did miss one title.....The Last Day One!

Mind Over Habit.

I have been thinking about quitting again for the last few weeks after I got a head cold and had to deal with all the lung biscuits & such. It is quickly approaching my 35th birthday, I'm fat & in about as bad of physical shape as I ever have been, and I just generally feel like complete crappola.

I have tried & failed many times over my life, including quite a few here in this thread. I find it funny that I was giving advice in this thread....what an jack donkey. Not even sure why I would subject myself to the ridicule I deserve from this thread, other than I have to "talk" about it again and I don't want to with the people around me. Every move I make at work is subject to ridicule from my chef, and he loves to hound on me when he senses I am ready to snap. So I haven't told anyone in my real life, other than my wife. I will let the rest of them figure it out for themselves and do my complaining in here. Squirrels & Domepatrol: Support or Ridicule....it matters not. I am following your mind over habit advice from way back squirrels.

Day one: September 28th 2006

I did not smoke today.

Everything else sucked. I decided with my last cig of the day on Wednesday @ 11:55pm that would be it. I really decided the day before when I bought 2 packs to get me through 18 holes...freaking shameful. I had cravings every 2 - 3 minutes at first and nearly lost my cool after the first 3 hours. The physical side of this thing is something scary. By the end of the night I was walking around work with the 1000 yard stare going. I didn't engage anyone at work for more than 30 seconds. They all knew I was out of sorts when I first came in, but since I went outside & stayed outside most of the night I'm sure they assumed I was smoking.

I remember thinking to myself last night that once I got home I could steal one of my wifes cigs and have it after midnight so nobody would see me. I actually laughed out loud at my brain trying to convince me to have one.

Wish me luck, make fun of me, give me advice....whatever. Feel free to call me on my BS if I start giving out advice or get the holier than thou attitude again.
Tipsy, just quit. it's really hard. it sucks. it's boring. you miss your cig moments. you'll miss it watching football. you'll miss it playing golf, driving your car, and especially drinking with your buddies. you'll feel that you're not yourself. your brain will tell you it's ok to have one. you'll tell yourself you can have one and one only. you'll think you can't possibly miss anything more.but, it's nothing compared to how much your new baby will miss you WHEN you get unhealthy from your addiction. It may be only be shortness of breath and general malaise that sucks away your energy to play with your kid, or could be, god forbid, cancer that takes you away from your family permanently. just do it buddy. don't worry about this board and people's reaction. it's an addiction and a medical process. you can do it. think about your kid and the life you envision together. it's doesn't involve a nictoine addiction.

Last edited by a moderator:
I found that keeping really busy helped heaps. I played computer games one after the other for the first few days. GL

I also didn't post here much in advance. I also didn't tell anyone right when I quit to give myself some slack. Finally, I went through all the excuses that I would give myself to smoke just once and when I concluded that there will not be a sane reason to smoke I stopped.

<---Now look at me. I am fit, active, outgoing, flamboyant, and enjoy shoppping with the missus.

You can do this, Tipsy.Stop looking forward to your last cigarette. Tell yourself you've already smoked it. It's a bad relationship and it needs to end.I'm five months in now and I feel great. All those people who tell you how good it feels to be a non-smoker, they're not lying. It really does make you feel better.
I agree with this. I have ZERO credibility with anyone I know on this subject. Saying I have smoked my last one is something that should get a laugh out of my friends. I have said it dozens of times over the years. I am saying I'm done to myself. I have had my last cigarette. My mental power is stronger than this habit. I am a non-smoker. Blah, blah, blah. Why would anyone believe that from me? However, I have to say it to myself, and I have to believe it...which I do.

Tipsy, just quit. it's really hard. it sucks. it's boring. you miss your cig moments. you'll miss it watching football. you'll miss it playing golf, driving your car, and especially drinking with your buddies. you'll feel that you're not yourself. your brain will tell you it's ok to have one. you'll tell yourself you can have one and one only. you'll think you can't possibly miss anything more.but, it's nothing compared to how much your new baby will miss you WHEN you get unhealthy from your addiction. It may be only be shortness of breath and general malaise that sucks away your energy to play with your kid, or could be, god forbid, cancer that takes you away from your family permanently. just do it buddy. don't worry about this board and people's reaction. it's an addiction and a medical process. you can do it. think about your kid and the life you envision together. it's doesn't involve a nictoine addiction.
Thank you for your continued support in this matter HM. One change for me this time. It isn't for my kid, wife, or family & friends. This is for me. Besides, my kid will hate my guts in a few years anyway. :yes: Just ask the wife. :yes:

chiming in here as 17-year smoker who has been clean for 6.5 years. I quit cold turkey. there's a certain dignity in doing it without making a show of it. ask the mods to delete this thread (it's just another crutch you don't need). quitting is simply a case of mind over matter. just do it. what's the longest you've quit for? aim for that and when you get there, share your story. until then, you got nothing to say. gl

Good luck GB :thumbup:

My GF (korean chick from the dinner) quit 4 months ago after smoking for a decade+

Just did it..cold turkey. She was a huge ##### for a week or three but she got through it. She has NO willpower... you can do it.

You can do this, Tipsy.Stop looking forward to your last cigarette. Tell yourself you've already smoked it. It's a bad relationship and it needs to end.I'm five months in now and I feel great. All those people who tell you how good it feels to be a non-smoker, they're not lying. It really does make you feel better.
I agree with this. I have ZERO credibility with anyone I know on this subject. Saying I have smoked my last one is something that should get a laugh out of my friends. I have said it dozens of times over the years. I am saying I'm done to myself. I have had my last cigarette. My mental power is stronger than this habit. I am a non-smoker. Blah, blah, blah. Why would anyone believe that from me? However, I have to say it to myself, and I have to believe it...which I do.
I didn't know I'd smoked my last cigarette until after I smoked it. I went down to buy another pack later that day and I said to myself "#### this. Why am I buying more cigarettes? I don't want to smoke anymore." I work with a bunch of smokers. The ones who are 40 look 50. The ones who are 50 look like they're near death. You don't want to turn out like that, man. You don't want to end up like the people who were too weak to quit.

I agree with this. I have ZERO credibility with anyone I know on this subject. Saying I have smoked my last one is something that should get a laugh out of my friends. I have said it dozens of times over the years.
Who f'in cares? When you win the Superbowl you win the Superbowl. Doesn't matter if it took all 4 quarters. If the head coach's friends make fun of his victory speech, it's still a victory speech.

chiming in here as 17-year smoker who has been clean for 6.5 years. I quit cold turkey. there's a certain dignity in doing it without making a show of it. ask the mods to delete this thread (it's just another crutch you don't need). quitting is simply a case of mind over matter. just do it. what's the longest you've quit for? aim for that and when you get there, share your story. until then, you got nothing to say. gl
Trying not to make a show of it in real life. Here is just what you say...a crutch, but certainly an entertaining one I think. I have quit for over a year before, but not since I was barley 20 something. Right now, I will be very pleased with a month. Heck...today even.

' date='Sep 29 2006, 10:31 AM' post='5621496']Good luck GB :thumbup:My GF (korean chick from the dinner) quit 4 months ago after smoking for a decade+ Just did it..cold turkey. She was a huge ##### for a week or three but she got through it. She has NO willpower... you can do it.
No offense icon, but how did you land her? She seemed way out of your league to me. :yes: ;)

I'm sure being in the business and in the most party-friendly city in the world certainly doesn't help.

Have you thought about medication? I have some friends that had success with Wellbutrin. It's technically an anti-depressant, but for some reason, it's supposed to help people quit - not sure how or why :shrug:

I've never known anyone who has kicked using nicorrette or any of the like, but it's certainly not for lack of advertising.

Good luck :thumbup:

Hour 60.

Drinking a good amount of fruit juices to make up for blood sugar whammy going on right now.

Cutting back on coffee & tea as well as the caffine is increasing my uneasy jumpy feeling.

Doing a good job hiding my quitting from the staff. Nobody has said a word. I am basically hiding at the desk or just standing outside.

Eating a lot of carrots as a balance for the munchies I have now.

I have been exhausted for the whole quit time, but I felt very refreshed this morning after 7 hours last night.

$15 not spent so far. :)

I have not lashed out at anyone this time. I have just avoided everyone as much as possible.

Feeling mentally strong!

Hour 60. Drinking a good amount of fruit juices to make up for blood sugar whammy going on right now. Cutting back on coffee & tea as well as the caffine is increasing my uneasy jumpy feeling.Doing a good job hiding my quitting from the staff. Nobody has said a word. I am basically hiding at the desk or just standing outside. Eating a lot of carrots as a balance for the munchies I have now. I have been exhausted for the whole quit time, but I felt very refreshed this morning after 7 hours last night. $15 not spent so far. :) I have not lashed out at anyone this time. I have just avoided everyone as much as possible.Feeling mentally strong!
:thumbup:

good for you. I've been smoke free for almost 5 months now. I tried to quit several times, only thing that helped me was the patch good times right there.....Good luck and just keep your confidence up!!

my father died suddenly at the age of 51.  he had a 3 month old son.

he smoked all of his life.  he was outwardly completely healthy.

you can do this!
That is very sad & my heart goes out to you. I assume smoking killed him in some way?Lost my grandmother (paternal) when she was 55 due to lung cancer. She smoked filterless pall malls for 30+ years. She was diagnosed with lung cancer 3 months before it killed her. Her husband of roughly the same age quit smoking at that time and lived another 25 years...until a stroke got him.

My grandfather (fraternal) has had emphysema for a few years now, and has to carry around an o2 tank.

One of my best friends & fellow FBG just got a call yesterday about an friend from his group losing her 55 year old mother to lung cancer.

Lungs look like this when you get cancer.

Maybe I should stay quit?
yes tipsy, he had a heart attack which was attributed to his smoking unfiltered camels for 35+ years.i mentioned my little brother as an incentive to you. he is now 13 & never knew his dad. harsh but true.

do it for yourself & for the little guy in your av.
just a reminder.....do it for the right reasons.

Tipsy,

As you know I'm very good at quitting and restarting smoking too so just wanted to wish ya luck here man.

Aside from things we've discussed already, I read chocolate gives ya a good bit of caffeine or maybe it was that it has a similar effect to coffee....eh well I don't know. Every morning I drink way too much coffee and coffee "makes me" smoke. A candy bar has lessenned the amount of coffee some and I don't feel any less awake or anything so...maybe this will work for you.

My ma suggested a cinammon stick in the coffee. I have grabbed some of those old fashioned sticks of candy that were probably from 1950. Umm about the size+shape of a cinammon stick but a candy sucker...know what I mean? Anyhow, last time I put that in the coffee or nearby and it helped with the oral fixation stuff.

Brushing my teeth probably too often has always helped when trying to quit so I wasn't worried about candy+cavities for a short term solution when I'm brushing 6-7 times a day.

A friend suggested(I think our children are similar age, 1 or so not understanding much) I tell my daughter "I'm gonna smoke a cigarette" each time. I don't care if she can't understand what I'm saying, that's pretty rough to do. You'll know what I mean here and know I mean this with much respect to our children, otherwise I'd never have posted it. Hopefully their won't be an hecklers that misunderstand this.

Tipsy,

As you know I'm very good at quitting and restarting smoking too so just wanted to wish ya luck here man.

Aside from things we've discussed already, I read chocolate gives ya a good bit of caffeine or maybe it was that it has a similar effect to coffee....eh well I don't know. Every morning I drink way too much coffee and coffee "makes me" smoke. A candy bar has lessenned the amount of coffee some and I don't feel any less awake or anything so...maybe this will work for you.

My ma suggested a cinammon stick in the coffee. I have grabbed some of those old fashioned sticks of candy that were probably from 1950. Umm about the size+shape of a cinammon stick but a candy sucker...know what I mean? Anyhow, last time I put that in the coffee or nearby and it helped with the oral fixation stuff.

Brushing my teeth probably too often has always helped when trying to quit so I wasn't worried about candy+cavities for a short term solution when I'm brushing 6-7 times a day.

A friend suggested(I think our children are similar age, 1 or so not understanding much) I tell my daughter "I'm gonna smoke a cigarette" each time. I don't care if she can't understand what I'm saying, that's pretty rough to do. You'll know what I mean here and know I mean this with much respect to our children, otherwise I'd never have posted it. Hopefully their won't be an hecklers that misunderstand this.
That sounds insanely tough to do, but I bet it is very effective.

Tipsy,

This time it is for me & me alone. I am bigger than this stupid habit. 81 hours. Nicoten allegedly out of system now. I must admit I haven't had a physical craving yet today, and by this point 5 days ago I had already smoked 3 - 4 of them. The mental triggers are what I have to work on now for a long time. Everything I have done for the last 2 decades is a trigger for a smoke. Wake up....Have one. Drink coffee.. Have one. Finish the morning business.. Have one. Go to work to check paperwork from night before...have one. ETC, ETC.

Tipsy,

This time it is for me & me alone. I am bigger than this stupid habit. 81 hours. Nicoten allegedly out of system now. I must admit I haven't had a physical craving yet today, and by this point 5 days ago I had already smoked 3 - 4 of them. The mental triggers are what I have to work on now for a long time. Everything I have done for the last 2 decades is a trigger for a smoke. Wake up....Have one. Drink coffee.. Have one. Finish the morning business.. Have one. Go to work to check paperwork from night before...have one. ETC, ETC.
You sound exactly like me when I quit. Most people don't realize how much you train yourself into having a smoke. Just stay positive, sounds like your doing really good, gotten over the physical craving now it's just the mental stuff.

You sound exactly like me when I quit. Most people don't realize how much you train yourself into having a smoke. Just stay positive, sounds like your doing really good, gotten over the physical craving now it's just the mental stuff.
I feel positive & strong, but I am very aware that I have been here before & failed.

I feel positive & strong, but I am very aware that I have been here before & failed.
Do not ever forget that.I had 4 years and 11 months of quit time under my belt when I started smoking again.

Easily the dumbest thing I ever did was picking up a cigarette after all of that time and thinking that I could just have one.

Within having that one, I was smoking regularly again within about a month.

It took me 8 years to quit again.

As of Halloween, it will be 2 years quit, on my second attempt. I'm older (much) and wiser (not so much) and hope that my experience helps me through any hard time I have.

They are few and far between now, but they still happen.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Tipsy = 4 days + 10 hours as an ex-smoker.Saved about $26.50.130+ cigarettes not smoked. :)
:drive: You are one day closer to quiting. And don't be afraid to relish in your new found power to say 'No thank you'.

tipsy mcstagger said:
Tipsy = 4 days + 10 hours as an ex-smoker.Saved about $26.50.130+ cigarettes not smoked. :)
:thumbup: Next Sunday will be 9 months without a cigarette for me. I've found that the key to quitting is to remember your motivation for quitting, and making that motivation stronger than your desire for a cigarette. For me, it's as simple as being able to tell people that it's been X number of months (and eventually years) since my last cigarette. On the rare occasion that I have any kind of craving for a smoke (usually when I'm drunk), I just remind myself not to screw up all of my hard work for something that's not worth it. When it comes down to it, it's just not doing something. I know there's cravings and all of that, but at its most basic level, you control whether you put that cigarette to your lips, light it, and start puffing away.

:drive: You are one day closer to quiting. And don't be afraid to relish in your new found power to say 'No thank you'.
I'm a touch :confused: about the "one day closer" part.
I am on day 43 and still feel a considerable urge, so I consider myself 'in the process of quiting'. The worse thing I could do for myself is consider the task 'done' at day 43; this would only open me up to a moment of weakness.

I am on day 43 and still feel a considerable urge, so I consider myself 'in the process of quiting'. The worse thing I could do for myself is consider the task 'done' at day 43; this would only open me up to a moment of weakness.
what day = done then? trick question.

It is a trick question and I really don't know. I think it is different for each person but each person will recognize the day when it arrives.

It is a trick question and I really don't know. I think it is different for each person but each person will recognize the day when it arrives.
i'm a very unqualified amateur therapist and my take on this is as follows. you will never be a non-smoker. you will always be a smoker in recovery.

i'm a very unqualified amateur therapist and my take on this is as follows. you will never be a non-smoker. you will always be a smoker in recovery.
yep, it goes for all vices of man (alcohism, drug addict, shop-a-holic).

I am on hour 16 and I have the patch on, so far, so good.Good luck to all of us trying to kick that crap!
I remember when I quit I used the patch and about a week or so into it, I realized one evening that I had forgotten to wear one that day. I immediately started to jones. it's amazing how strong the psychological side is.

one thing that helped me thru the oral fixation cessation was the tooth pick. plus, it looks cool as a ###### and keeps your gums healty. value added

Users who are viewing this thread