What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I quit smoking! (1 Viewer)

Tipsy = 6 days + 9 hours as an ex-smoker.Saved about $38.35192 cigarettes not smoked. :) 5 pounds gained. :(
I've been giving away some 'achievement' CD's in the "Have you dreamed of being more successful" thread I started yesterday. The CD's cover "lifelong habits" and how to break them. You in?BTW, noone came in at a better bid for the Gordons Blue book. Let me know and I'll PM you my address so you can send the infant... :ph34r:

Tipsy = 6 days + 9 hours as an ex-smoker.Saved about $38.35192 cigarettes not smoked. :) 5 pounds gained. :(
I've been giving away some 'achievement' CD's in the "Have you dreamed of being more successful" thread I started yesterday. The CD's cover "lifelong habits" and how to break them. You in?BTW, noone came in at a better bid for the Gordons Blue book. Let me know and I'll PM you my address so you can send the infant... :ph34r:
:confused: about the last part.

Tipsy = 6 days + 9 hours as an ex-smoker.

Saved about $38.35

192 cigarettes not smoked.

:)

5 pounds gained.

:(
:confused: about the last part.
your first born

Still...thanks for the encouragment. Most of my friends chuckle & say good luck. Not that I don't deserve that. :bag:
Stop looking for signs of encouragement or a sense of accomplishment from other people. Look at yourself and be honest with yourself. You have gone 6 F'ing days without a smoke! There had to have been a day in the near past in which you said, "I honestly don't think I could go 5 hours without a smoke, much less 6 days." Guess what, you have F'ing gone 6 days!

Tipsy, I have a question for you. Doesn't talking about it make you think about it more? I would think that while you're going through this you wouldn't want to think about it because it would make you want a cigarette.

BlueOnion said:
tipsy mcstagger said:
Still...thanks for the encouragment. Most of my friends chuckle & say good luck. Not that I don't deserve that. :bag:
Stop looking for signs of encouragement or a sense of accomplishment from other people. Look at yourself and be honest with yourself. You have gone 6 F'ing days without a smoke! There had to have been a day in the near past in which you said, "I honestly don't think I could go 5 hours without a smoke, much less 6 days." Guess what, you have F'ing gone 6 days!
Honestly, I have not felt like smoking again since I decided to quit last week. A bunch of triggers & the physical withdrawl..sure. But I never thought I couldn't do it. Part of the new mind over matter technique I guess, but I feel superior to that stupid habit. I hope to Allah that I never pick them up again.And I don't really care what anyone else thinks. If I cannot do this, I have promised myself a bullet in the head. How is that for motivation.? :)

Mrs. BSR said:
Tipsy, I have a question for you. Doesn't talking about it make you think about it more? I would think that while you're going through this you wouldn't want to think about it because it would make you want a cigarette.
Talking about it does not make me want one. Finishing a meal, drinking my coffee, driving the car, etc: Those are things that make me forget I have quit for a moment or two. The wife even left her full pack on the counter today (must be jonesing at work :bye: ) and that doesn't even do it. I do not want to be a smoker anymore. Embracing the horror straight on and being fully aware of every craving is helping, so far.

Mrs. BSR said:
Talking about it does not make me want one. Finishing a meal, drinking my coffee, driving the car, etc: Those are things that make me forget I have quit for a moment or two. The wife even left her full pack on the counter today (must be jonesing at work :bye: ) and that doesn't even do it. I do not want to be a smoker anymore. Embracing the horror straight on and being fully aware of every craving is helping, so far.
:thumbup: so far, so good - well done

11 Days, 9+hours

342 cigarettes not smoked

$68.35 saved

The amount of time is great, but j.h.christo.....342 & 68 bucks in that short amount of time. what a freaking waste. That alone should be motivation to anyone.

I feel freaking great. Smells are strong. Cigarettes smell nasty to me big time. I had a bad mood day on Saturday, but that was more sleep related than anything i think. Even then I didn't want one.

Yesterday at the Dome (Geaux Saints :pickle: ) , where I normally would get up every 10-15 minutes to go smoke, was a big reality check for me. I was reflecting at the half that I used to hate going to games when they outlawed smoking in the seats because I was always trying to smoke one while not missing any action. Everything I have done for the last 20 years has been tainted with that "this is great...but when can I go smoke" game. :loco: I'm sort of pissed at myself for wasting all that time.

18 hours not wasted (2 mins each) on that freaking habit in less than 2 weeks.... shameful. I'm convinced the math is wrong it seems so ridiculous.

Anyway...props to me, blah blah blah. I realize there are still major hurdles to get past with this, but I really feel like I am out of danger at this point. My resolve is stronger than that stupid habit. I'm going to do something stupid and go on a walk now. :shock:

I always fond talking about it prepared me for urges, instead of urges taking me 'off guard'. Heck, when quite smoking I still take time to go on a smoke break with my friends so I can see exactly what I am missing. There is something galvanizing about going on a smoke break and being able to mentally tell myself, "I am alright."

11 Days, 9+hours342 cigarettes not smoked$68.35 savedThe amount of time is great, but j.h.christo.....342 & 68 bucks in that short amount of time. what a freaking waste. That alone should be motivation to anyone.I feel freaking great. Smells are strong. Cigarettes smell nasty to me big time. I had a bad mood day on Saturday, but that was more sleep related than anything i think. Even then I didn't want one. Yesterday at the Dome (Geaux Saints :pickle: ) , where I normally would get up every 10-15 minutes to go smoke, was a big reality check for me. I was reflecting at the half that I used to hate going to games when they outlawed smoking in the seats because I was always trying to smoke one while not missing any action. Everything I have done for the last 20 years has been tainted with that "this is great...but when can I go smoke" game. :loco: I'm sort of pissed at myself for wasting all that time.18 hours not wasted (2 mins each) on that freaking habit in less than 2 weeks.... shameful. I'm convinced the math is wrong it seems so ridiculous.Anyway...props to me, blah blah blah. I realize there are still major hurdles to get past with this, but I really feel like I am out of danger at this point. My resolve is stronger than that stupid habit. I'm going to do something stupid and go on a walk now. :shock:
Spectacular work. From what I've read you're past the tough physical craving part so stay focused on the advantages of not smoking and keep doing the right thing. :thumbup:Edit:Do you notice any positive physical effects? Going up stairs getting any better? Can you take a full lungful of air w/o coughing when you exhale? When you cough do you sound like a human or like a rock crushing machine? Stuff like that. My father is 40yr smoker and he has problems w/ all of the things I just mentioned.

Last edited by a moderator:
2 weeks!

Cold Turkey!

Never even close to having one so far!

:pickle:

Keeping my sig updated to remind me and anyone else paying attention how stupid the habit is. $86 bucks in 2 weeks is criminal.

Perhaps a bump here on the month, 6 month, year, etc.

great job. remember though there is the rule of 3. people slip in multiples of 3..at week 3, 3 months, 3 years, 3 decades, etc. it's a good general rule to keep you on your toes.

2 weeks!Cold Turkey!Never even close to having one so far!:pickle:Keeping my sig updated to remind me and anyone else paying attention how stupid the habit is. $86 bucks in 2 weeks is criminal. Perhaps a bump here on the month, 6 month, year, etc.
awesome!

It sounds like I'm being a :rooster:, but I really feel like I am done. Being around many of my out of town friends last night (in for VooDoo Fest) with all of them smoking like a chimney was another moment where I just went :rolleyes: at them for smoking. It was disgusting to me, even more so when I could smell my clothes this morning from a room away :X . I never even for a second considered it something I wanted, even when my friend offered me one 4 times during the night. I feel like I have finally convinced myself how nasty & stupid the habit is and that I don't want any part of it.

It sounds like I'm being a :rooster:, but I really feel like I am done. Being around many of my out of town friends last night (in for VooDoo Fest) with all of them smoking like a chimney was another moment where I just went :rolleyes: at them for smoking. It was disgusting to me, even more so when I could smell my clothes this morning from a room away :X . I never even for a second considered it something I wanted, even when my friend offered me one 4 times during the night. I feel like I have finally convinced myself how nasty & stupid the habit is and that I don't want any part of it.
Same here, I drink heavily every weekend, all my friends smoke butts.Not to mention I used to smoke a butt every time after I blazed. Last weekend and this weekend wasn't hard at all to not smoke, I actually feel much better about it, and feel like I can actually notice a difference.

I quit on the 23rd of this month, cold turkey mostly and I am still going pretty strong. By saying cold turkey mostly, my wife and I had a plan that we would smoke what we have left and when we ran out, that was it-we would be done right then. So, my last cigarette was Monday afternoon, outside my office and I threw away the empty pack and gave my lighter to my boss and over.

Of course, my wife being freshly pregnant is a huge thought for us and the reason we are quitting. My desire for a good healthy child are going to kick the crap out of the desire for a cigarette.

1 month, 17 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds

Since I became a Non-Smoker.

1453 cigarettes not smoked.

$291.10 saved.

I have been updating my sig for some reason everyday, and is a small reminder each morning to myself that I don't do it anymore. I feel much better. You haven't been in the FatBallGuys Thread where I talk about the exercise I have been able to do lately. Last week = 14 jogging, 16 walking. I've immediately gained about 10 pounds (i think) after quitting, and decided I needed to do something about that. Committed to myself it was time to get healthy all around.

I'm about 15 pounds lighter than I was on 10/16, 2 weeks after I had quit.

Thanks for asking, I'm done with the nasty buggers. :yes:

1 month, 17 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds Since I became a Non-Smoker.1453 cigarettes not smoked.$291.10 saved.I have been updating my sig for some reason everyday, and is a small reminder each morning to myself that I don't do it anymore. I feel much better. You haven't been in the FatBallGuys Thread where I talk about the exercise I have been able to do lately. Last week = 14 jogging, 16 walking. I've immediately gained about 10 pounds (i think) after quitting, and decided I needed to do something about that. Committed to myself it was time to get healthy all around.I'm about 15 pounds lighter than I was on 10/16, 2 weeks after I had quit.Thanks for asking, I'm done with the nasty buggers. :yes:
1453 cigs saved in six weeks or so? That's like 30/day :shock:

1 month, 17 days, 10 hours, 4 minutes and 58 seconds Since I became a Non-Smoker.1453 cigarettes not smoked.$291.10 saved.I have been updating my sig for some reason everyday, and is a small reminder each morning to myself that I don't do it anymore. I feel much better. You haven't been in the FatBallGuys Thread where I talk about the exercise I have been able to do lately. Last week = 14 jogging, 16 walking. I've immediately gained about 10 pounds (i think) after quitting, and decided I needed to do something about that. Committed to myself it was time to get healthy all around.I'm about 15 pounds lighter than I was on 10/16, 2 weeks after I had quit.Thanks for asking, I'm done with the nasty buggers. :yes:
pack and a half a day. i've known people who smoke more. i never actually added up how many i used to smoke. i was a pack a day guy, so that means around 600 a month. that means that since i quit 4 years ago, i've not smoked 28,800 cigarettes. :shock: makes it seem like much more of an accomplishment when you state it that way.also, nice job tipsy. :thumbup: keep up the exercise. it helps a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm an addict...that was an average. There were days it was over 2 packs. The savings in $ not spent have about 2 weeks left before I pay for that iPod i bought for myself when I had stopped for 2 weeks. Gross, stupid habit.At one point a couple of years ago in a "quit" time when I had actually secretly started again, I would steal them from my wife in the middle of the night (3 or 4) so I could smoke them later while she was gone. :bag:

2 months!

1841 cigarettes not lit up

$369 not spent on the nasty buggers

:pickle: :pickle: :pickle: :pickle:

Holy cow what a difference 2 months make. Started to gain a bunch of weight & started the weight loss challenge again...which i've now lost over 16 pounds in, and have started running almost daily. My mood swings are less extreme, and I have been a better manager since I'm not spending an hour outside each night huffing away.

My wife however is fairly annoyed with me since she continues to smoke and hasn't tried to quit (other than the 9 months she was carrying the boy...why she started again :shrug: ) I have been giving her the guilt something fierce I must say...not sure how else to approach it however. What is really strange is I'm not tempted at all by her going out to have them...I actually cringe knowing I will smell that crap on her. I kissed her bye the other day as she had just finished exhaling, and I immediately turned away and spit...the taste of the cig was terrible. I didn't mean to react like that and I did apologize for hurting her feelings, but told her how nasty that taste was.

Thanks again for the support y'all. Honestly though...if you want to quit smoking yourself, just be bigger than the disease. It only takes 3 days to get over the hardest part. Your mind is stronger than an addiction. DO IT!

I still remember the 'day':

I was 16. I was with my friends in the mall on a friday night. One of my friends produces a pack of cigs. He hands them out, and I said 'nah!'. It wasn't for health reasons, or money, to look 'anti-cool'. I was scared ####less of my parents.

Most of my friends smoke to this day, complaining and wanting to quit.

Thanks Dad!

Although I am not a smoker, let it be known that beginning on Saturday, Dec. 9th, I quit dipping.

It's only been three days, but I am craving a dip right now. There's a can in my desk drawer, which I am reluctant to open. I hear the faint cry of my name "Sclaffer... sclAFFer..." coming from the drawer. I'm trying to ignore it. I know I should just through it away and be done with it.

It's been three days. Today is the fourth day. I'm struggling.

Although I am not a smoker, let it be known that beginning on Saturday, Dec. 9th, I quit dipping.It's only been three days, but I am craving a dip right now. There's a can in my desk drawer, which I am reluctant to open. I hear the faint cry of my name "Sclaffer... sclAFFer..." coming from the drawer. I'm trying to ignore it. I know I should just through it away and be done with it.It's been three days. Today is the fourth day. I'm struggling.
If you really quit, then why is there a can of dip still in your desk?

I still remember the 'day':I was 16. I was with my friends in the mall on a friday night. One of my friends produces a pack of cigs. He hands them out, and I said 'nah!'. It wasn't for health reasons, or money, to look 'anti-cool'. I was scared ####less of my parents. Most of my friends smoke to this day, complaining and wanting to quit.Thanks Dad!
My parents took a positive incentive approach. Basically what thay said was that if I did not smoke by the time I was 18 they would sponsor something specific for me, something all children in Denmark would want. In my case that was a driver's licence which is rather expensive to get (mandatory classes etc.)I turned down cigarettes so many times in my teenage years that I never felt like saying yes when I was freed of my commitment by accomplishing not starting to smoke by 18.E.g. "Pay your way through college - sure son - don't smoke and keep the grade average up..."

Although I am not a smoker, let it be known that beginning on Saturday, Dec. 9th, I quit dipping.It's only been three days, but I am craving a dip right now. There's a can in my desk drawer, which I am reluctant to open. I hear the faint cry of my name "Sclaffer... sclAFFer..." coming from the drawer. I'm trying to ignore it. I know I should just through it away and be done with it.It's been three days. Today is the fourth day. I'm struggling.
If you really quit, then why is there a can of dip still in your desk?
:goodposting: Seriously, you cannot ever have nicoteen again if you have been addicted to it. After 72 hours of staying away from it you only have your mind to battle as the physical cravings end 100%.

Users who are viewing this thread