What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I really like Elizabeth Warren (1 Viewer)

It's not just him. I keep reading and hearing stuff about her, how terrible she is, how hypocritical and awful, and there's never any specifics. The only specific I ever hear is the Cherokee story, and it makes no sense that this story would cause the amount of scorn she gets.

The Chamber of Commerce declared Warren an "enemy of free enterprise", but they haven't offered specifics either. And it's especially ironic since the Chamber was pretty grateful for TARP, and she was one of the main people in charge of that program. If she truly hates the big banks, why would she want to rescue them?
She pretty much personifies the egghead left-wing professor type. That's why a lot of liberal folks like me love her. But it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
There are some progressives that I find truly despicable. Maxine Waters for instance- always saying stuff designed to antagonize people. Conservatives put Warren in that category, and I just don't see it: when I hear her interviewed, she seems like an incredibly nice person, and very down to Earth. As far as "egghead" goes, it's a term I despise, because it lends itself to the anti-intellectualism of the Tea Party types. Still, there ARE smug, know it all type progressives that can be really irritating in their presentation: Paul Krugman is the most obvious example. But again Warren doesn't come off that way.
My only exposure to her was during the debates with Brown and at times she had a schoolmarmish condescending tone, which plays into the stereotype of those who resent professors/intellectuals.
I didn't see those. My exposure was her interviews on Bill Maher and MSNBC. I liked the schoolmarmish tone. I didn't think it was that condescending.
It's easy to look less loony when the hosts are stealing all of your thunder.
It's easy to put a label on someone that allows you to ignore what they say. It's much harder to think about what they say, decide whether you agree or not, and come up with a reasoned response.EDIT: For what it's worth, I live in Massachusetts and voted for Scott Brown.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elizabeth Warren is a fraud who won an election against a superior candidate because she ran in a state in which voters flocked to the polls and voted for a political party and not a person.
A point like this is virtually meaningless with all the gerrymandering that has happened. Dems got 1.4 million more house votes but the GOP still holds 33 more house seats.

It's not just him. I keep reading and hearing stuff about her, how terrible she is, how hypocritical and awful, and there's never any specifics. The only specific I ever hear is the Cherokee story, and it makes no sense that this story would cause the amount of scorn she gets.The Chamber of Commerce declared Warren an "enemy of free enterprise", but they haven't offered specifics either. And it's especially ironic since the Chamber was pretty grateful for TARP, and she was one of the main people in charge of that program. If she truly hates the big banks, why would she want to rescue them?
She pretty much personifies the egghead left-wing professor type. That's why a lot of liberal folks like me love her. But it rubs a lot of people the wrong way.
There are some progressives that I find truly despicable. Maxine Waters for instance- always saying stuff designed to antagonize people. Conservatives put Warren in that category, and I just don't see it: when I hear her interviewed, she seems like an incredibly nice person, and very down to Earth. As far as "egghead" goes, it's a term I despise, because it lends itself to the anti-intellectualism of the Tea Party types. Still, there ARE smug, know it all type progressives that can be really irritating in their presentation: Paul Krugman is the most obvious example. But again Warren doesn't come off that way.
She looks like she could be on the cover of Ms. What else do they need?

She just flat out sucks. A true loathesome individual , a hypocrite's hypocrite if you will. As big of phony as you will find in politics. Give me Mo Cowan anyday over her for MA senators , he's genuine.A big :thumbup: to all the ham & eggers she has fooled because of the D next to her name
I still don't get this. In what way is she loathsome or a phony? Is this all because of the Cherokee thing or is there something else? Not getting the hate here.
Well for startersShe railed against house flipping but she bankrolled &predatory banks but yet she made a fortune out of flipping foreclosed houses by bankrolling her brothershe rightly campaigned about the high cost of a college education but she pulled in 350k teaching one classthe dnc bankrolled her while scarring away other opponents with veiled threats like Stephen Lynch in the primary

She just flat out sucks. A true loathesome individual , a hypocrite's hypocrite if you will. As big of phony as you will find in politics. Give me Mo Cowan anyday over her for MA senators , he's genuine.A big :thumbup: to all the ham & eggers she has fooled because of the D next to her name
I still don't get this. In what way is she loathsome or a phony? Is this all because of the Cherokee thing or is there something else? Not getting the hate here.
HellToupee likes his politicians to be genuine and uncompromising, like Mitt Romney.
The country lost a tremendous opportunity not electing a good man like Mitt

Well for startersShe railed against house flipping but she bankrolled &predatory banks but yet she made a fortune out of flipping foreclosed houses by bankrolling her brothershe rightly campaigned about the high cost of a college education but she pulled in 350k teaching one classthe dnc bankrolled her while scarring away other opponents with veiled threats like Stephen Lynch in the primary
Interesting. Never heard any of this before, and I have no idea how accurate it is.

While working to change the rules, why wouldn't you play within the current rules structure?

'HellToupee said:
OK, so I managed to look closely at some of this last night. All of it seems to stem from the Boston Herald, from columnists with an apparent axe to grind against Warren. While most of the facts seem to be correct, the interpretation, much like yours, is a little questionable. Here's how I see it:1. Warren did not "make a fortune" bankrolling her brother. The two of them made some money in the 90s flipping a few houses. According to the report, her brother bought one house for $30,000 and sold it a few weeks later for $39,000. They did this at least 3 other times. That's not bad, but it's hardly a fortune. Still, it would be hypocritical if Warren really rallied against house flipping, but she didn't. She was concerned about the environment that created the flipping and correctly predicted that corporate speculation, on a grand scale, would lead to a smash up for the consumer. I think trying to make a connection between this stance and her private business dealings is pretty tenuous at best. 2. Warren has in the past sought cheaper college education for students AND higher pay for teachers. The reason that she was highly paid is that she is a huge name and attracts attention to the school- like a celebrity athlete, she makes money for those who pay her, and that is why they pay her. There's no connection between what she was paid and the cost of education, and she is hardly a hypocrite for earning whatever she's worth.3. First off you are blaming Warren for what the DNC did to Stephen Lynch- Warren is not responsible for that. But beyond this point, both the DNC and the RNC do this sort of thing all the time. They often choose the candidate they want and do everything they can to dissuade other candidates. Sometimes it gets a little underhanded, but that's politics. To isolate this case out as if it were special, and then to blame it on Warren, is absurd.So, you got anything else? Because I still don't see the reason for the hatred. There's nothing there.

'HellToupee said:
OK, so I managed to look closely at some of this last night. All of it seems to stem from the Boston Herald, from columnists with an apparent axe to grind against Warren. While most of the facts seem to be correct, the interpretation, much like yours, is a little questionable. Here's how I see it:1. Warren did not "make a fortune" bankrolling her brother. The two of them made some money in the 90s flipping a few houses. According to the report, her brother bought one house for $30,000 and sold it a few weeks later for $39,000. They did this at least 3 other times. That's not bad, but it's hardly a fortune. Still, it would be hypocritical if Warren really rallied against house flipping, but she didn't. She was concerned about the environment that created the flipping and correctly predicted that corporate speculation, on a grand scale, would lead to a smash up for the consumer. I think trying to make a connection between this stance and her private business dealings is pretty tenuous at best. 2. Warren has in the past sought cheaper college education for students AND higher pay for teachers. The reason that she was highly paid is that she is a huge name and attracts attention to the school- like a celebrity athlete, she makes money for those who pay her, and that is why they pay her. There's no connection between what she was paid and the cost of education, and she is hardly a hypocrite for earning whatever she's worth.3. First off you are blaming Warren for what the DNC did to Stephen Lynch- Warren is not responsible for that. But beyond this point, both the DNC and the RNC do this sort of thing all the time. They often choose the candidate they want and do everything they can to dissuade other candidates. Sometimes it gets a little underhanded, but that's politics. To isolate this case out as if it were special, and then to blame it on Warren, is absurd.So, you got anything else? Because I still don't see the reason for the hatred. There's nothing there.
######### pompous blowhard

'HellToupee said:
Hmm. I was kind of hoping for a slightly more thoughtful response...

'HellToupee said:
From him? He always acts like Warren ran over his dog.

'HellToupee said:
I tried to take him seriously. I spent a long time last night looking at his complaints carefully. I expressed my thoughts, and this is what I get? Waste of time.

I tried to take him seriously. I spent a long time last night looking at his complaints carefully. I expressed my thoughts, and this is what I get? Waste of time.
Why would you, based on his past history? This is the same guy who started a thread to discredit Obama before the election last year with a supposedly "newly discovered" incriminating video on the Drudge site:http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=660709&st=0&p=14841703&fromsearch=1entry14841703

When the thread blew up in his face and made him look foolish (the video had been online since 2007) he deleted his OP and changed the title of the thread to Micro Four Thirds Camera Talk and this was after the thread had already run 7 pages and people were still actively discussing it in this forum,

Why would you, based on his past history? This is the same guy who started a thread to discredit Obama before the election last year with a supposedly "newly discovered" incriminating video that Drudge found:http://forums.footba...

When the thread blew up in his face and made him look foolish (the video had been online since 2007) he deleted his OP and changed the title of the thread title to Micro Four Thirds Camera Talk and this was after the thread had already run 7 pages and people were still actively discussing it in this forum,
I didn't know that. I seem to recall the thread, but I didn't realize it was him.Hell Toupee has generally been rude to me before, despite my support of Romney. But rudeness doesn't bother me. I was honestly curious about this strong dislike of Warren, and I thought he could shed some light on it.

'HellToupee said:
She just flat out sucks. A true loathesome individual , a hypocrite's hypocrite if you will. As big of phony as you will find in politics. Give me Mo Cowan anyday over her for MA senators , he's genuine.

A big :thumbup: to all the ham & eggers she has fooled because of the D next to her name
Well for startersShe railed against house flipping but she bankrolled &predatory banks but yet she made a fortune out of flipping foreclosed houses by bankrolling her brother

she rightly campaigned about the high cost of a college education but she pulled in 350k teaching one class

the dnc bankrolled her while scarring away other opponents with veiled threats like Stephen Lynch in the primary
OK, so I managed to look closely at some of this last night. All of it seems to stem from the Boston Herald, from columnists with an apparent axe to grind against Warren. While most of the facts seem to be correct, the interpretation, much like yours, is a little questionable. Here's how I see it:1. Warren did not "make a fortune" bankrolling her brother. The two of them made some money in the 90s flipping a few houses. According to the report, her brother bought one house for $30,000 and sold it a few weeks later for $39,000. They did this at least 3 other times. That's not bad, but it's hardly a fortune. Still, it would be hypocritical if Warren really rallied against house flipping, but she didn't. She was concerned about the environment that created the flipping and correctly predicted that corporate speculation, on a grand scale, would lead to a smash up for the consumer. I think trying to make a connection between this stance and her private business dealings is pretty tenuous at best.

2. Warren has in the past sought cheaper college education for students AND higher pay for teachers. The reason that she was highly paid is that she is a huge name and attracts attention to the school- like a celebrity athlete, she makes money for those who pay her, and that is why they pay her. There's no connection between what she was paid and the cost of education, and she is hardly a hypocrite for earning whatever she's worth.

3. First off you are blaming Warren for what the DNC did to Stephen Lynch- Warren is not responsible for that. But beyond this point, both the DNC and the RNC do this sort of thing all the time. They often choose the candidate they want and do everything they can to dissuade other candidates. Sometimes it gets a little underhanded, but that's politics. To isolate this case out as if it were special, and then to blame it on Warren, is absurd.

So, you got anything else? Because I still don't see the reason for the hatred. There's nothing there.
:lmao:

'HellToupee said:
She just flat out sucks. A true loathesome individual , a hypocrite's hypocrite if you will. As big of phony as you will find in politics. Give me Mo Cowan anyday over her for MA senators , he's genuine.

A big :thumbup: to all the ham & eggers she has fooled because of the D next to her name
Well for startersShe railed against house flipping but she bankrolled &predatory banks but yet she made a fortune out of flipping foreclosed houses by bankrolling her brother

she rightly campaigned about the high cost of a college education but she pulled in 350k teaching one class

the dnc bankrolled her while scarring away other opponents with veiled threats like Stephen Lynch in the primary
OK, so I managed to look closely at some of this last night. All of it seems to stem from the Boston Herald, from columnists with an apparent axe to grind against Warren. While most of the facts seem to be correct, the interpretation, much like yours, is a little questionable. Here's how I see it:1. Warren did not "make a fortune" bankrolling her brother. The two of them made some money in the 90s flipping a few houses. According to the report, her brother bought one house for $30,000 and sold it a few weeks later for $39,000. They did this at least 3 other times. That's not bad, but it's hardly a fortune. Still, it would be hypocritical if Warren really rallied against house flipping, but she didn't. She was concerned about the environment that created the flipping and correctly predicted that corporate speculation, on a grand scale, would lead to a smash up for the consumer. I think trying to make a connection between this stance and her private business dealings is pretty tenuous at best.

2. Warren has in the past sought cheaper college education for students AND higher pay for teachers. The reason that she was highly paid is that she is a huge name and attracts attention to the school- like a celebrity athlete, she makes money for those who pay her, and that is why they pay her. There's no connection between what she was paid and the cost of education, and she is hardly a hypocrite for earning whatever she's worth.

3. First off you are blaming Warren for what the DNC did to Stephen Lynch- Warren is not responsible for that. But beyond this point, both the DNC and the RNC do this sort of thing all the time. They often choose the candidate they want and do everything they can to dissuade other candidates. Sometimes it gets a little underhanded, but that's politics. To isolate this case out as if it were special, and then to blame it on Warren, is absurd.

So, you got anything else? Because I still don't see the reason for the hatred. There's nothing there.
Are you honestly trying to suggest that the high cost of college education is directly related to large salaries paid to celebrity teachers??Even for you, that's quite a stretch.

Interesting quote by Warren on Republican Dan Winslow who is currently vying for the Republican nomination for Senate in an upcoming special election, "I advise everyone to pay very close attention to Dan Wilson's platform. He has a 100 percent ranking from the gun lobby, and he's for the legalization of marijuana. He wants us armed and stoned."

:thumbdown: on her pro-prohibition stance.

My link

Interesting quote by Warren on Republican Dan Winslow who is currently vying for the Republican nomination for Senate in an upcoming special election, "I advise everyone to pay very close attention to Dan Wilson's platform. He has a 100 percent ranking from the gun lobby, and he's for the legalization of marijuana. He wants us armed and stoned."

My link
The quote was supposed to be a joke at the St. Patrick's Day thingee they do every year where politicians try to be funny. Warren might want to stick to her day job.With that said, a bit of googling does confirm that Warren was asked about legalization when she was running for Senate and she said she didn't support it. So I agree that's a flaw.

ETA: But it seems like she supports medical marijuana. I guess that's a step in the right direction.

My link
Well, there goes my liberaboner :kicksrock:

Are you honestly trying to suggest that the high cost of college education is directly related to large salaries paid to celebrity teachers??Even for you, that's quite a stretch.
It's more a symptom of the problem, but the money paid to them obviously comes from somewhere and is built into the cost.

My link
Loon. /thread

This lady is FOR THE PEOPLE...

Simply awesome.

We need way way way more of this from our elected officials.

A Democrat that gets it. Warren for President in 2014.

“Some people say that we can’t afford to help our kids through school by keeping student loan interest rates low,” said Senator Warren. “But right now, as I speak, the federal government offers far lower interest rates on loans, every single day–they just don’t do it for everyone. Right now, a big bank can get a loan through the Federal Reserve discount window at a rate of about 0.75%. But this summer a student who is trying to get a loan to go to college will pay almost 7%. In other words, the federal government is going to charge students interest rates that are nine times higher than the rates for the biggest banks–the same banks that destroyed millions of jobs and nearly broke this economy. That isn’t right. And that is why I’m introducing legislation today to give students the same deal that we give to the big banks.”“Big banks get a great deal when they borrow money from the Fed,” Senator Warren continued. “In effect, the American taxpayer is investing in those banks. We should make the same kind of investment in our young people who are trying to get an education. Lend them the money and make them to pay it back, but give our kids a break on the interest they pay. Let’s Bank on Students… Unlike the big banks, students don’t have armies of lobbyists and lawyers. They have only their voices. And they call on us to do what is right.”

“Some people say that we can’t afford to help our kids through school by keeping student loan interest rates low,” said Senator Warren. “But right now, as I speak, the federal government offers far lower interest rates on loans, every single day–they just don’t do it for everyone. Right now, a big bank can get a loan through the Federal Reserve discount window at a rate of about 0.75%. But this summer a student who is trying to get a loan to go to college will pay almost 7%. In other words, the federal government is going to charge students interest rates that are nine times higher than the rates for the biggest banks–the same banks that destroyed millions of jobs and nearly broke this economy. That isn’t right. And that is why I’m introducing legislation today to give students the same deal that we give to the big banks.”“Big banks get a great deal when they borrow money from the Fed,” Senator Warren continued. “In effect, the American taxpayer is investing in those banks. We should make the same kind of investment in our young people who are trying to get an education. Lend them the money and make them to pay it back, but give our kids a break on the interest they pay. Let’s Bank on Students… Unlike the big banks, students don’t have armies of lobbyists and lawyers. They have only their voices. And they call on us to do what is right.”
I'm on board

Warren for President in 2014.
Good plan here.
Feature, not a bug. There's no an ounce of real fight in the current office holder.
I was coming in here to post something to the equivalent of ???, but I've reconsidered. I think it would be phenomenal to have our president have to keep his job via MMA or boxing match, once each year, against members of his own party that want to take his spot. Cheney vs. Bush. Obama vs. Biden or Pelosi.

For party nominations every 4 years, every debate should end in a free for all brawl. "I'll take your 9-9-9 tax plan and SHOVE IT UP YOUR ###!"

“And that is why I’m introducing legislation today to give students the same deal that we give to the big banks.”
I have no opinion on whether big banks should be loaned money at 0.75% interest. If they shouldn't, and if tying interest on bank loans to interest on student loans will help fix the problem, I could get behind Warren's proposal.

But if she's really just proposing that students should get below-market interest rates because she's fond of students — or especially if she's just fond of college administrators* — I don't favor her plan.

To the extent that the government subsidizes student loans, it is a transfer to college graduates. (That's who repays the loans.) There are a lot of people who are in need of government aid: the homeless, the unemployed, low-income single parents, and so on. College graduates, as a group, are not very high the list, IMO.

____

*Colleges will charge the market-clearing price for tuition. If interest rates on loans are reduced, tuitions prices will likely increase. That's how raises for administrators could be funded. :tinfoilhat:

This is head-bangingly stupid. The discount rate is a policy variable related to the type of monetary goals the Fed wants to set for the banking system and money supply. By design, it is unrelated to the "proper" interest rate charged on student loans. If Elizabeth Warren wants to argue that the Federal Reserve should tighten its monetary policy and encourage banks to hold more reserves by raising the discount rate, that is fine, and if she wants to argue that student loans should have a lower interest that is fine too, but referencing the two together in her argument is literally a non sequitur.

This is actually a good one to scrapbook so we can reference it the next time somebody argues that the GOP is anti-science whereas the Democratic party is the party of smart people. I freely concede that the current GOP is dominated by nutjobs, but this is the kind of screed that can only be spoken by or resonate with someone who is largely ignorant of the banking system, the Federal Reserve, and the market for loanable funds in general.

Edit: I am sure Paul Krugman will weigh in on this soon and correct Warren's Econ 101-level misunderstanding.

I like Warren, but this is pretty silly.

Here's what 20 years of watching Congress and the White House have taught me: Policy is for losers and think tanks. Win on the politics and then do whatever the #### you want. Warren is great on the politics.

Here's what 20 years of watching Congress and the White House have taught me: Policy is for losers and think tanks. Win on the politics and then do whatever the #### you want. Warren is great on the politics.
That's fine. But then you don't get to come back and laugh at Republican politicians who openly flirt with Young Earth Creationists, like Bobby Jindahl.

I like Warren, but this is pretty silly.
Not only what IK said, but the thought that your average knucklehead college student is somehow equal in importance to a big bank? That's some liberal craziness right there. Almost half of college students drop out. A lot of that loan money goes to beer and pot.

“And that is why I’m introducing legislation today to give students the same deal that we give to the big banks.”
I have no opinion on whether big banks should be loaned money at 0.75% interest. If they shouldn't, and if tying interest on bank loans to interest on student loans will help fix the problem, I could get behind Warren's proposal.

But if she's really just proposing that students should get below-market interest rates because she's fond of students — or especially if she's just fond of college administrators* — I don't favor her plan.

To the extent that the government subsidizes student loans, it is a transfer to college graduates. (That's who repays the loans.) There are a lot of people who are in need of government aid: the homeless, the unemployed, low-income single parents, and so on. College graduates, as a group, are not very high the list, IMO.

____

*Colleges will charge the market-clearing price for tuition. If interest rates on loans are reduced, tuitions prices will likely increase. That's how raises for administrators could be funded. :tinfoilhat:
She's referring to the discount rate, which is a really poor gauge of where interest rates in the market are really at. There are a couple of important facts that she conveniently neglects... those loans are only from the Fed to commercial banks, and usually only overnight. That makes it ultra-low risk, UNLIKE student loans which are setting records now in the default department. If she wants to get everyone even more steamed up, she should have mentioned the Federal Funds target rate is presently 0.25%.

The WSJ has recently been full of articles saying how all but the very top tier schools are feeling the squeeze as students are looking for more VALUE for their money and more students are deciding the benefits aren't worth the cost and looking at other alternatives. In the long run, I think that kind of marketplace pushback is a good thing.

Ivan has it exactly right. Too bad, because I sort of liked Warren before this absurdity.

I spend a lot of time around here attacking conservative populism (the Tea Party etc.). This is an example of liberal populism, and it is every bit as uninformed and dangerous.

Ivan has it exactly right. Too bad, because I sort of liked Warren before this absurdity. I spend a lot of time around here attacking conservative populism (the Tea Party etc.). This is an example of liberal populism, and it is every bit as uninformed and dangerous.
Warren is my all time least favorite pol from MA . ### #### I miss the days of Ted Kennedy & Kerry compared to this loon. If only stinking Martha Coakley defeated Scott Brown in the beginningwow god darn is censored

That's fine. But then you don't get to come back and laugh at Republican politicians who openly flirt with Young Earth Creationists, like Bobby Jindahl.
This is a really good point Ivan. I'd only amend it to say you can't complain about Jindahl's newfound love of Genesis. Especially not if it works. But laughing at and mocking stupid stuff the other side says is actually required.As for whether Adam and Eve riding dinosaurs is as strong a political winner as slamming the banks while pointing out the middle class is getting it with a tack-studded corn cob? Different strokes I guess.

Warren for President in 2014.
Good plan here.
Feature, not a bug. There's no an ounce of real fight in the current office holder.
Yep
I don't get this. Sure, Obama's not nearly as liberal as many of us would like, but the reality is he's moderate enough to get big things done. HCR is far bigger deal than you naysayers are giving him credit for.
He is a moderate Republican. He is willing to sell SS down the river so he can get some stupid ####### grand bargain and make the GOP like him never mind that they never will. He has expanded the imperial presidency he railed against. He has sold out his supporters on the left time and time again. He would rather kiss Republican ### than do what the people who actually voted for him want. And HCR was a massive give away to insurers.

Oh and as far as this particular bill, it's going nowhere. I think it was more about making a point that while we are getting ready to be charging people with less means a rather high rate we are letting the unpunished destroyers of the economy get off borrowing practically for free. And keep in mind they still aren't big on loaning to help small business.

Users who are viewing this thread