What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If Vince Young is Done in TEN (1 Viewer)

Bob Magaw

Footballguy
SEA could be a possibility... carrol saw him first hand, has already had success with one reclamation project (mike williams), took on another player with ??? (lynch)... hasselbeck is old, whitehurst may not be the answer...

ARI needs a QB as bad as anybody, but i don't see HC wanting to deal with him...

MIN could be needing a QB, depending on how high the organization is on jackson (especially since it looks like childress is not long for the team)...

CAR could be in need... again, if clausen is viewed as the answer or not... maybe VY brought in as insurance... at his salary, no way he is back in TEN, if he lasts that long... what would VY command in a trade (probably not a lot... holmes went for a 5th... QB is a more premium position, but it would seem like even a 4th would be a stretch)... if not, he seems destined to be cut, where he could choose his landing spot...

WAS, if mcnabb isn't back... shanahan had success with another running QB, but like ARI, i can't see him wanting to deal with a problem personality...

mccoy looks like the answer in CLE, so that is a negative...

JAX? garrard is not young, has been very up and down... his status is probably in flux (like that of del rio)...

fitzpatrick looks like a keeper in BUF...

MIA may need a QB...

i think OAK could make the most sense (with SEA as next most likely destination)... campbell also very up & down, gradkowski is gutsy...

al davis likes speed, and VY, when on his game, is a dangerous runner... OAK also stockpiles high pedigree picks like i do miles catalog... and OAK is notorious for taking on personalities other teams want nothing to do with... and the raiders have certainly has success with castoff QBs before (though campbell has been a mixed bag this year)...

Last edited by a moderator:
No disrespect to the OP, but who cares?

Dude is a mental midget that doesn't possess the intestinal fortitude to be a quality NFL quarterback. I don't care about his won-lost record, the dude is an airhead.

Regardless of his mentality, he's one of the best 32 QBs in the league. A team like MIN, ARI, SF, or CAR would be stupid to not look his way unless they feel they have their QB of the future already or kind find him in free agency or the draft.

Dallas. He's a borderline starter as is. Kitna retires and Jones gets another guy the fans would like to have around. Jones has to consider it with VY's popularity in Texas.

No disrespect to the OP, but who cares?Dude is a mental midget that doesn't possess the intestinal fortitude to be a quality NFL quarterback. I don't care about his won-lost record, the dude is an airhead.
On a badly managed team, causing the other players to lose all hope.
Mentally weak individual is all I can say.
I dont think he can start anywhere else. He'll be someone's backup from here on out.
:thumbdown: I actually got a sick feeling yesterday and thought, "Wow, I hope he doesn't kill himself." I'm not being cruel or sick, I actually am a little worried. He is a dumb guy who cannot handle adversity.

Regardless of his mentality, he's one of the best 32 QBs in the league. A team like MIN, ARI, SF, or CAR would be stupid to not look his way unless they feel they have their QB of the future already or kind find him in free agency or the draft.
I think Young would make a very good backup, but he does not have the mental toughness to be a starting NFL QB. He cannot be counted on to lead his team.

Dallas. He's a borderline starter as is. Kitna retires and Jones gets another guy the fans would like to have around. Jones has to consider it with VY's popularity in Texas.
This is why the cowboys havent won a playoff game in eonsHe is physically gifted, but....dumb

I think Young would make a very good backup, but he does not have the mental toughness to be a starting NFL QB. He cannot be counted on to lead his team.
There are not 32 people that have the mental toughness and QB skills needed to be a starting QB in the NFL. Too bad there are 32 teams. Teams have to think about winning now to put fans in the seats and Young would be an improvement over any of the current starting QB options on teams I listed assuming Favre retires.

This actually makes alot of sense. This whole situation is Mack Brown and UT's fault for treating him like he was some kind of god the whole time he was in college.

This is why the cowboys havent won a playoff game in eonsHe is physically gifted, but....dumb
No he's not dumb.(two threads grrr...)As I said in the other thread, look at his rookie year. The NFL game isn't too fast for him, the defenses aren't too complex or anything. He's got serious depression issues and immaturity issues. Lack of game intelligence is sooo not a problem for Vince.

This is why the cowboys havent won a playoff game in eons
Dallas won a playoff game last year against the Eagles.
IMO Romo is one the worst with the game on the line and Vince is one of the best. Who knows, maybe Vince would help Romo. No doubt Romo is a top QB the rest of the game, the rest of the season, but put him in a big game and the guy seems to get so nervous. I'm not a "Vince as 'my' QB" type fan and think both he and the Titans are better off without him around but his running ability added to his leadership ability and nerves of steel with the game on the line are super impressive. He has proven me wrong more often than not when I thought the Titans wouldn't win. It's definitely something to see to wholly understand.Why is he 'money' super late in games and not the rest of the game? I have no idea but I'd be willing to bet that that's part of Fisher's frustration

two things-I also specified game intelligence and that is not a wonderlic test. Do you really think they have choices like D) scramble away from the opposing defender, call an audible or whatever it said?

This is not just a test for football players, it's used by HR folks in many different industries before hiring an employee and for all sorts of reasons. it was developed by a psychologist or professor and....do you seriously think there's football Qs in the test?

Plus it's like a ten minute test and those doodles would take some time and....oy

http://www.efplfp.stealingisgood.com/wpt.html

It's sad. He is very gifted. But he is very immature and does not understand there is more to being an NFL QB than just showing it on the field.

It's all about leadership on and off. He is showing off the field he can't handle it.

Vince Young better get his act together quick or he will be out of the league in the next couple of years. This is not high school or college.

No he's not dumb.(two threads grrr...)As I said in the other thread, look at his rookie year. The NFL game isn't too fast for him, the defenses aren't too complex or anything. He's got serious depression issues and immaturity issues. Lack of game intelligence is sooo not a problem for Vince.
:goodposting: But it's those other issues that make him to much of a risk to hand him the keys to your team. I agree with those who think he will be a backup. Any team that would trust him to be their team leader is making a very poor choice based on his history in dealing with these types of situations. Don't get me wrong - I feel horrible for the guy, He has the physical skills to play the position at a very high level. He just seems to struggle with the pressure. It's similar to baseball players who suddenly can't throw the ball to first - but worse, as the QB is the leader ofyour entire team. You know he's capable of doing the job, but there comes a point when you just come to realize that you just cant trust him to be the head of your franchize.Now, if he were to seek help (psychiatric) - and show some signs of being able to deal with the emotional pressures of being a starting NFL QB better, then I think there should be a long list of teams looking to acquire a new starting QB. But until that point, I think GMs will look at him as a nice backup.

two things-I also specified game intelligence and that is not a wonderlic test. Do you really think they have choices like D) scramble away from the opposing defender, call an audible or whatever it said?

This is not just a test for football players, it's used by HR folks in many different industries before hiring an employee and for all sorts of reasons. it was developed by a psychologist or professor and....do you seriously think there's football Qs in the test?

Plus it's like a ten minute test and those doodles would take some time and....oy

way to over analyze a joke.

way to over analyze a joke.
woosh, yep sorry

He won't be coming to Carolina under any circumstance. Too much of a risk for Jerry to be a Rae Carruth repeat.

It was less than a year ago that Young had one of the greatest drives in NFL history -- 99 yards, three 4th down conversions and the game winning TD pass as time expired against the Cardinals.

This year he was having his best statistical season. His problem is not production. It's everything else. But seeing as how there aren't many people who can do what he can on the football field, I'm sure he'll get another chance. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him succeed. Quarterbacks sometimes need a change of scenery, and Jeff George is a good example of that. Sure, he was terrible in Indy but he was very good in Atlanta and Minny. Kerry Collins got run out of Carolina due to immaturity issues; who would have ever guessed that he'd still be in the league a dozen years later?

It was less than a year ago that Young had one of the greatest drives in NFL history -- 99 yards, three 4th down conversions and the game winning TD pass as time expired against the Cardinals. This year he was having his best statistical season. His problem is not production. It's everything else. But seeing as how there aren't many people who can do what he can on the football field, I'm sure he'll get another chance. And it wouldn't surprise me at all to see him succeed. Quarterbacks sometimes need a change of scenery, and Jeff George is a good example of that. Sure, he was terrible in Indy but he was very good in Atlanta and Minny. Kerry Collins got run out of Carolina due to immaturity issues; who would have ever guessed that he'd still be in the league a dozen years later?
I just don't think I could take it if he goes somewhere else and makes it...

Is this the same badly managed team that was considered a sensible landing spot for Moss because of a strong coaching presence?
I think he was answering the "Where will he land?" question, not commenting on the Titans.
Exactly. Fisher works wonders over there. If Adams foolishly fires him, Fisher will hit the unemployment line for about 10 seconds.

Maybe in Dallas as a backup to Romo if Kitna does not return.

Youngs immaturity will prevent a team from bringing him in as a starter.

I wonder why he isn't listening to Kerry Collins or why Collins isn't mentoring him. Vince's career seems to be starting off, alot like Kerry's did.

As for a landing spot Houston would have to make the list as a back up to Schaub. Teams are going to jump for this guy because of his athletic ability.

Teams have to think about winning now to put fans in the seats and Young would be an improvement over any of the current starting QB options on teams I listed assuming Favre retires.
He's a barely mediocre QB on a good team. What do you think would happen on a bad team?

The quote that stuck with me from 104.5 here in Nashville this morning, "Vince Young is dealing with Harvard problems and getting Community College advice..."

The main line of the discussion this morning was centered around how they think Vince is done in Nashville. A lot of the callers wanted Fisher gone too, but Frank Wycheck shot a lot of that talk down. The hosts of the show (Wycheck, Mike Keith - Radio voice of the Titans, and the other guy that I did not know) said that they think Randy Moss of all people is going to need to step up and lead this team. He was one of the few people at the end of regulations still trying to get people pumped up to play. Apparently he has a good connection with Rusty Smith.

Teams have to think about winning now to put fans in the seats and Young would be an improvement over any of the current starting QB options on teams I listed assuming Favre retires.
He's a barely mediocre QB on a good team. What do you think would happen on a bad team?
He'd put up mediocre numbers and lose most of his games. He'd do a better job than T. Jackson, Alex or Troy Smith, J. Clausen (maybe, he is still a rookie), D. Anderson, or M. Hall though. Unless a team thinks they have a bad QB that will improve with experience they should be looking to get the person that gives them the best chance to win.

I hate to say it, but I can actually see him traded to Houston for Leinart. Fisher is a USC guy, and probably thinks Leinart could work in Tennesee. :thumbup:

The quote that stuck with me from 104.5 here in Nashville this morning, "Vince Young is dealing with Harvard problems and getting Community College advice..."

The hosts of the show (Wycheck, Mike Keith - Radio voice of the Titans, and the other guy that I did not know) said that they think Randy Moss of all people is going to need to step up and lead this team.
:thumbup:

Really bad thought process there. Have they not been paying attention to Moss's career and especially this season?

I'll throw another team in the mix and that is KC. Strong run-first mentality, underwhelming back-up, meh starting QB, not a larger city/smaller media.

I can't imagine another team bringing in Young to be a starter. But maybe someone will give him a chance as a backup a-la Mike Vick.

For those that think VY can still be successful as a starting QB in the NFL, I would say it is not going to happen until

he realizes that he needs to do more in preparation for a game than just show up.

Look at Michael Vick. He is a player who basically relied on his physical talents when he was with the Falcons. Look at

how far he has come this year now that he has actually learned the Eagles offense and is making the proper reads of the defense.

Vick obviously hit rock bottom in his life and this caused him to re-evaluate everything that he did. Young's performance won't

change until he re-evaluates his approach to game preparation. He is no longer BMOC. He's not in Austin anymore.

If Rex Grossman can be a backup and teams can still show interest in J. Russell, Vince can still be a starter in the NFL. I think he'ld do better than McNabb is in washington. Bringing in a guy like VY fits the Redskins M.O.

I hate to say it, but I can actually see him traded to Houston for Leinart. Fisher is a USC guy, and probably thinks Leinart could work in Tennesee. :excited:
Houston's offense requires a pocket passer, it wouldn't work. Of course we could have new coaches next year at this rate.

Chase brings up a great point. Kerry Collins was a mediocre passer who almost drank himself out of the league, and even had accusations of being a racist or rather using racial slurs (which I hope were not true). A decade later he's still in the league and making 8 figures.

Young can still right himself, but it strikes me that he's got confidence and trust issues that HE needs to figure out how to get past, I don't think anyone can coach that out of him.

Is this the same badly managed team that was considered a sensible landing spot for Moss because of a strong coaching presence?
I think he was answering the "Where will he land?" question, not commenting on the Titans.
Exactly. Fisher works wonders over there. If Adams foolishly fires him, Fisher will hit the unemployment line for about 10 seconds.
Seriously. Not only would the Dallas and Vikings of the world be salivating, I think you could see a coach you never thought was on the firing line, be let go for Fischer.

San Francisco is another option. He would have a good running game and good WR and TE to throw to. He could have success playing there.

Users who are viewing this thread