What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

If you were Unlucky, which 11 would you pick? (1 Viewer)

There are a ton of good applicants and I'm sure Unlucky is going to have a very hard time deciding. I figured it would be interesting to see who others would select. Perhaps a thread like this would end up making his job easier.Based on the applications thus far, I'd go with these guys:EastBayFunkRebel34Twilightbostonfredpurplehaze67General MalaiseLHUCKSJosephCouch PotatoGregRradballsThere were some very tough choices and it was hard to leave some guys out but with only 11 available spots, the competition is fierce. No offense intended to anyone I left off my recommendation list. It would be easy to fill 24 spots with the guys that applied.I'd also like to point out that purplehaze, GregR, LHUCKS, and bostonfred deserve to be included as they all finished in the top-5 of Survivor II last year.I know I'm staff now and will be competing against this team, but I think this would be a very strong group and I'm sure their commentary would be entertaining and informative. Either way, I'm looking forward to seeing who is chosen.
Thanks for the props AaronR28. :thumbup: Unlucky has a tough choice only selecting 11 canidates out of a fine crop of MB'ers.HEY YUDKIN! I sure hope you're ready to get your ### kicked when I'm selected to the team. As stated in my application I am not your regular FBG. In fact I sincerely think I'm the next choice to become a FBG Staff Member *member number 34 even*. Especially since I give Joe & David so much love on the air to HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people in a single breath, and that is just in the Denver metro area. I respect all the staffers, but you sir are on the top of my #### list. :football:It's not wise to upset a Rebel! :cX:

Last edited by a moderator:
HEY YUDKIN! I sure hope you're ready to get your ### kicked when I'm selected to the team. As stated in my application I am not your regular FBG. In fact I sincerely think I'm the next choice to become a FBG Staff Member *member number 34 even*. Especially since I give Joe & David so much love on the air to HUNDREDS OF THOUSANDS of people in a single breath, and that is just in the Denver metro area. I respect all the staffers, but you sir are on the top of my #### list. :football:It's not wise to upset a Rebel! :cX:
Like this will happen, especially with me now in charge of FBG recruiting. Since I am committed on my path of total worldwide domination, I have no time for rogue rebels who will be squashed like grapes or flattened like road kill.Just so you know, I have size 11 shoes, and those will be the size of the footprints when I walk all over you in what amounts to this Staff/Message Board "scrimmage."We're eagerly awaiting your team announcement so we can embroider your names on the body bags. In terms of caskets, we have something very nice for you in mahogany.The sad part from our perspective is that only 8 staff guys can make the final 8, so we're drawing straws to see who won't be able to abvance.Your torch will be extinguished soon enough! I hear there are plenty of good seats available for the games in Week Two!

Yuk-it-up-kid. Your team has grown fat and complacent. Dodds makes a living feasting on inferior "so-called experts" from other sites. Maxwell and Grey have spent to much time in FFA to be of any use. Heck, Chase moped up the staff last year using a 2001 cheatsheet from ESPN. The only smart one among the group is J who decided to use some discretion and save himself the embarrassment.

I'm surprised we haven't seen JoeT mentioned more often. I've witnessed this guy win 4 survivor leagues in one season (2003) and win 2 the year prior (2002). His reputation on this board is that of a pure winner, his writeups are witty, intelligent and he is well spoken - including being versed in what is rumored to be 2 different languages.I wasn't surprised to see Unlucky get the captain nod but I know JoeT was at least the runner up.Throw in sandbagger and gatorman and you've got a triangle survivor offense that this board has never seen.

It seems like a lot of the same names keep appearing on the lists that keep popping up, which means the guys on there are probably pretty good.

However, the only problem with keep picking the same guys is that, well. you never see what anyone else has, and you have the same clique year after year. I know that's fun and all for you guys but sometimes it's hard to stomach watching everyone pat each other on the back.
You know, Cowboy has a good point. It would be nice to see what some of the other guiys can do. BUT this is about beating the staff. Let's put up the best team we can!Let's not just beat these guys but humiliate them to the point where they know the posters have exceeded the so-called masters. After all, it's obvious that one of the qualifications for staff membership is that you have to have plenty of time to goof-off on your hands. (Slackers! :P )

You know, Cowboy has a good point. It would be nice to see what some of the other guiys can do. BUT this is about beating the staff. Let's put up the best team we can!

Let's not just beat these guys but humiliate them to the point where they know the posters have exceeded the so-called masters. After all, it's obvious that one of the qualifications for staff membership is that you have to have plenty of time to goof-off on your hands. (Slackers! :P )
Would it not be all that much more humiliating if a bunch of no names were to put them in their place though.

I'm surprised we haven't seen JoeT mentioned more often. I've witnessed this guy win 4 survivor leagues in one season (2003) and win 2 the year prior (2002). His reputation on this board is that of a pure winner, his writeups are witty, intelligent and he is well spoken - including being versed in what is rumored to be 2 different languages.I wasn't surprised to see Unlucky get the captain nod but I know JoeT was at least the runner up.Throw in sandbagger and gatorman and you've got a triangle survivor offense that this board has never seen.
I still believe this triangle to be isosceles even with Joe T

It seems like a lot of the same names keep appearing on the lists that keep popping up, which means the guys on there are probably pretty good.However, the only problem with keep picking the same guys is that, well. you never see what anyone else has, and you have the same clique year after year. I know that's fun and all for you guys but sometimes it's hard to stomach watching everyone pat each other on the back.
Good Points :thumbup:

It seems like a lot of the same names keep appearing on the lists that keep popping up, which means the guys on there are probably pretty good.However, the only problem with keep picking the same guys is that, well. you never see what anyone else has, and you have the same clique year after year. I know that's fun and all for you guys but sometimes it's hard to stomach watching everyone pat each other on the back.
Good Points :thumbup:
I agree to...fresh blood would be good for this draft.

Well I for one believe that documented expert survivor experience and success are very important. Until you've thought through the intricacies of expert survivor drafting you're a wildcard in my opinion...and it's completely obvious with many of the comments in the applications. Survivor experience and success is the only tangible criterion that is directly related to what the messageboard is trying to accomplish. The short timeline set by Dodds and co. only further necessitates experience. I feel it took me a full two years to fine-tune my Survivor Theory and I would like to think I'm just as bright and analytical as most. If selected I have written a 2-page outline on detailed survivor strategy that I plan on giving to my teammates...no way could I have written it up before taking part in a survivor draft. As an example, I had one person assisting me with my draft during Survivor II, that's right an assistant...a small team. This isn't gut drafting...not if you want to run out all of the ground balls.My reason for writing this is to set expectations for the 100 folks or so that applied. I'd rather not see 5 threads about how somebody was short-changed or blown off etc. etc. Again I would like to emphasize that everybody that applied is a FF Expert, Hardcore FF'er, Reasonably Bright Person and could easily be the best at Survivor FF...you can only get so much verifiable information from an application though. Good Luck To All, LHUCKS

Survivor experience and success is the only tangible criterion that is directly related to what the messageboard is trying to accomplish. The short timeline set by Dodds and co. only further necessitates experience.
Very well put! :thumbup:

Well I for one believe that documented expert survivor experience and success are very important. Until you've thought through the intricacies of expert survivor drafting you're a wildcard in my opinion...and it's completely obvious with many of the comments in the applications. Survivor experience and success is the only tangible criterion that is directly related to what the messageboard is trying to accomplish. The short timeline set by Dodds and co. only further necessitates experience. I feel it took me a full two years to fine-tune my Survivor Theory and I would like to think I'm just as bright and analytical as most. If selected I have written a 2-page outline on detailed survivor strategy that I plan on giving to my teammates...no way could I have written it up before taking part in a survivor draft. As an example, I had one person assisting me with my draft during Survivor II, that's right an assistant...a small team. This isn't gut drafting...not if you want to run out all of the ground balls.My reason for writing this is to set expectations for the 100 folks or so that applied. I'd rather not see 5 threads about how somebody was short-changed or blown off etc. etc. Again I would like to emphasize that everybody that applied is a FF Expert, Hardcore FF'er, Reasonably Bright Person and could easily be the best at Survivor FF...you can only get so much verifiable information from an application though. Good Luck To All, LHUCKS
Please get a 2nd assistant to track bye weeks. Or is that me? :rotflmao: And yes, I know you did better than me last year. ;)

Well I for one believe that documented expert survivor experience and success are very important.  Until you've thought through the intricacies of expert survivor drafting you're a wildcard in my opinion...and it's completely obvious with many of the comments in the applications.  Survivor experience and success is the only tangible criterion that is directly related to what the messageboard is trying to accomplish.  The short timeline set by Dodds and co. only further necessitates experience.  I feel it took me a full two years to fine-tune my Survivor Theory and I would like to think I'm just as bright and analytical as most.  If selected I have written a 2-page outline on detailed survivor strategy that I plan on giving to my teammates...no way could I have written it up before taking part in a survivor draft.  As an example, I had one person assisting me with my draft during Survivor II, that's right an assistant...a small team.  This isn't gut drafting...not if you want to run out all of the ground balls.My reason for writing this is to set expectations for the 100 folks or so that applied.  I'd rather not see 5 threads about how somebody was short-changed or blown off etc. etc.  Again I would like to emphasize that everybody that applied is a FF Expert, Hardcore FF'er, Reasonably Bright Person and could easily be the best at Survivor FF...you can only get so much verifiable information from an application though.  Good Luck To All, LHUCKS
Please get a 2nd assistant to track bye weeks. Or is that me? :rotflmao: And yes, I know you did better than me last year. ;)
LOL Bagger. You pre-emptively struck yourself. I look forward to kicking your butt again this year! BTW...in the beginning of the draft my assistant was underneath the desk :excited:

If selected I have written a 2-page outline on detailed survivor strategy that I plan on giving to my teammates...no way could I have written it up before taking part in a survivor draft. As an example, I had one person assisting me with my draft during Survivor II, that's right an assistant...a small team.My reason for writing this is to set expectations for the 100 folks or so that applied.
If this is true, then as long as you are picked the odds for all rooks just got a whole lot better. Thanks.

If selected I have written a 2-page outline on detailed survivor strategy that I plan on giving to my teammates...no way could I have written it up before taking part in a survivor draft.  As an example, I had one person assisting me with my draft during Survivor II, that's right an assistant...a small team.My reason for writing this is to set expectations for the 100 folks or so that applied.
If this is true, then as long as you are picked the odds for all rooks just got a whole lot better. Thanks.
My objective was not to talk about the outline or myself. The only reason why I mentioned it was to illustrate that there are many different layers to Survivor drafting...layers that are not necessarily intuitive.

I would not select any werewolf players, baseball fans, or anyone who doesn't have an alias.

The only reason why I mentioned it was to illustrate that there are many different layers to Survivor drafting...layers that are not necessarily intuitive.
LHUCKS: For your information, there's a lot more to Survivor Drafts than people think.jurb26: Example?LHUCKS: Example? Okay, um, Survivor Drafts are like onions.jurb26: [sniffs] They stink?LHUCKS: Yes. No!jurb26: They make you cry?LHUCKS: No!jurb26: You leave them out in the sun, they get all brown, start sprouting' little white hairs.LHUCKS: No! Layers! Onions have layers! Survivor Drafts have layers! Onions have layers.You get it? they both have layers. [sighs]jurb26: Oh, they both have layers. Oh. [sniffs] You know, not everybody likes onions. Cake! Everybody loves cakes! Cakes have layers.LHUCKS: I don't care... what everyone likes. Survivor Drafts are not like cakes.jurb26: You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.LHUCKS: No! You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden! Survivor Drafts are like onions! End of story. Bye-bye. See ya later.

I'll give you this...you have a unique sense of humor.My favorite phrase, "miniature beast of burden"

The only reason why I mentioned it was to illustrate that there are many different layers to Survivor drafting...layers that are not necessarily intuitive.
LHUCKS: For your information, there's a lot more to Survivor Drafts than people think.jurb26: Example?LHUCKS: Example? Okay, um, Survivor Drafts are like onions.jurb26: [sniffs] They stink?LHUCKS: Yes. No!jurb26: They make you cry?LHUCKS: No!jurb26: You leave them out in the sun, they get all brown, start sprouting' little white hairs.LHUCKS: No! Layers! Onions have layers! Survivor Drafts have layers! Onions have layers.You get it? they both have layers. [sighs]jurb26: Oh, they both have layers. Oh. [sniffs] You know, not everybody likes onions. Cake! Everybody loves cakes! Cakes have layers.LHUCKS: I don't care... what everyone likes. Survivor Drafts are not like cakes.jurb26: You know what else everybody likes? Parfaits. Have you ever met a person, you say, "Let's get some parfait," they say, "Hell no, I don't like no parfait"? Parfaits are delicious.LHUCKS: No! You dense, irritating, miniature beast of burden! Survivor Drafts are like onions! End of story. Bye-bye. See ya later.
LMAO! :rotflmao:Put him on the team. :D

There is a huge difference between early survivor drafts and regular drafts at the start of the regular season. There is a huge difference in playing against people with similar drafting skills, similar cheatsheets, and similar tools. There's almost $700 on the line for him individually in this - league winner gets $500, and the best player from the message board team gets $170. That's decent money for a draft you're not paying for. As nice as it sounds to have "fresh blood", it makes little sense to pick someone who doesn't post in the Shark Pool, hasn't drafted in an early Survivor league, and hasn't drafted against these guys before.

As nice as it sounds to have "fresh blood", it makes little sense to pick someone who doesn't post in the Shark Pool, hasn't drafted in an early Survivor league, and hasn't drafted against these guys before.
:thumbup: Its all about experience and success in drafting in survivor leagues.

As nice as it sounds to have "fresh blood", it makes little sense to pick someone who doesn't post in the Shark Pool, hasn't drafted in an early Survivor league, and hasn't drafted against these guys before.
I'd also want people who are drafting in the MBSLs (or something similar) right now. The MSBL uses the same scoring system as this league, but the only downside as a mock is it has 16 people. FanEx is a decent mock for this, too - although I actually think the competition level here is better.

I'd also want people who are drafting in the MBSLs (or something similar) right now. The MSBL uses the same scoring system as this league, but the only downside as a mock is it has 16 people. FanEx is a decent mock for this, too - although I actually think the competition level here is better.
I think having 16 teams makes it even harder. Any leagues with 16 sharks, no trading, and no FA pick ups would be very difficult to win. I didn't know FanEx was a survivor style draft. I doin't usually follow those very closely.

Like this will happen, especially with me now in charge of FBG recruiting.
That's easy, I'll just go over your head Yudkin. I have the ability to bring thousands of more people over to FBG's. Just ask Dave Dodson, he listened to my show and understands that with the #1 sports show in Denver comes a lot of clout.Keep disrespecitng us MB'ers and it will only land you on the sidelines come week 2. :boxing:

Users who are viewing this thread