What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

I'm reading a rumor: Larry Fitzgerald to the Patriots (1 Viewer)

Jewell

Footballguy
New England Patriots Rumors: Larry Fitzgerald to the Patriots?Chat Sports Link

It’s no secret – the New England Patriots are on the market for a top-tier wide receiver, and according to the latest rumblings out of Foxborough, they’re actively pursuing a trade for Larry Fitzgerald of the Arizona Cardinals. We mentioned this potential trade in our Patriots rumors roundup last Friday, giving the trade about a 20% probability of happening, but things have continued to heat up since.

Let’s be completely clear: nothing has been confirmed. This trade is not “imminent”, and while the Patriots would love to find a way to make this happen, all we can confirm is the Patriots really, really want to make this happen. The Cardinals are free to say no, Fitzgerald is free to say no, and there are dozens of ways this could fall through.

Fitzgerald is settled in Arizona, and the idea of moving all the way to New England in the middle of the season isn’t as appealing as it might be if he were younger. The Cardinals aren’t as desperate as a team like the Vikings or the Giants, and Fitzgerald isn’t outwardly unhappy or publicly engineering a move.

Still – the Patriots need an elite receiver. The Cardinals need draft picks. New England has the weight and the resources to make this happen if they decide to meet the Cards’ asking price – whatever that turns out to be. Fitzgerald is on the wrong side of 30, and if the Cardinals want to cash in, now is the time.

This could go down to the wire, and ultimately comes down to whether or not the Patriots decide to meet Arizona’s asking price. The Cardinals will probably demand a first-rounder and more up front, but we think they’d ultimately settle for something like two second-rounders and a third- or fourth-rounder. The Cardinals aren’t going anywhere with their current offense, and while there are a number of promising players on defense who they’ll want to keep, they may need to get worse before they can get better. The Patriots are giving them an opportunity to do that now rather than later, and it’ll be fascinating to see if they take that chance.

Updated probability: ~30%

Has this site ever had the scoop on a big trade/signing before? This is the first I've heard of the site and that rumor.

Isn't this outfit pretty much Bleacher Report without the page views? Why should we give this any credibility?
I'm not sure you should give this rumor credibility. Especially considering that no other site is reporting similar rumors. It's akin to the the Nicks to the Panthers heard it through the grapevine thread.Nonetheless, I'd like to see if (big if) this rumor has any truth to it, whether people think the Pats giving up the number of picks mentioned in the article for an aging receiver is worth it. Or even simply whether people think there's any chance of this alleged trade possibility actually happening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Isn't this outfit pretty much Bleacher Report without the page views? Why should we give this any credibility?
Perhaps you didn't see the 'updated probability' line at the bottom.

It was 20%, it's now 30. This one's got a bullet, boys!

Jewell said:
wdcrob said:
I'm not sure you should. Especially considering that no other site is reporting similar rumors. It's akin to the the Nicks to the Panthers heard it through the grapevine thread.Nonetheless, I'd like to see if (big if) this rumor has any truth to it, whether people think the Pats giving up the number of picks mentioned in the article for an aging receiver is worth it. Or even simply whether people think there's any chance of this alleged trade possibility actually happening.
Why not? The Golden Boy isn't going to be there forever, so it's all about the here and now. And if Fitz is at all interested in a Super Bowl ring, this would be his chance. I imagine Brady is lobbying hard for this, if it's being considered.

Wouldn't think the Pats would be doing this. Timing isn't right. This isn't the case of a player gone bad and picking him up for cheap. They would actually have to give a pretty penny for a still top 8 WR. That's not what the Pats have ever done. Maybe they'll consider this, as it's a great opportunity but I don't see it happening. Not to mention the Defense has lost their 2 most valuable players. I doubt anyone in that org really think they have a real chance even with Brady without both Wilfork and Mayo.

Wouldn't think the Pats would be doing this. Timing isn't right. This isn't the case of a player gone bad and picking him up for cheap. They would actually have to give a pretty penny for a still top 8 WR.
they make smart moves. this would be a smart move. plus they got tons of picks and limited roster space. yet another super bowl run.

I doubt that would ever happen, but I think New England would offer, doubt Arizona trades the face of the franchise. Especially since Arizona has a shot at a wildcard, with a little luck. I mean its likely that they are fighting for one spot with Detroit, Carolina and Dallas/Philly/Washington maybe.

This rumor completely ignores the financial aspects of a trade of this magnitude. Arizona will still be on the hook for the guaranteed portion Larry Fitzgerald's contract if they trade him. This is why star players are rarely get traded in the middle of their contracts in the NFL.

This rumor completely ignores the financial aspects of a trade of this magnitude. Arizona will still be on the hook for the guaranteed portion Larry Fitzgerald's contract if they trade him. This is why star players are rarely get traded in the middle of their contracts in the NFL.
Teams are only on the hook for the signing bonus and the new team takes on the guaranteed part of the contract.

Just because something makes sense doesn't mean it's a scoop...or it's likely...or it's even being discussed by the teams.

Larry Fitz and ADP are going to waste their careers in their respective wastelands and they have only themselves to blame. They decided to sign FA contracts with their pathetic teams, both of whom have no clue what a franchise QB is. Nice trade for Kevin Kolb, Cards and nice job wasting a top 15 pick on Christian freaking Ponder. The way to do is to tank and get a top pick in the year there is a bonafide stud like Luck. Everything else is just hoping and praying. Just like the Jets...drafting Geno is going to screw them up. Because he is good enough to win them 6 to 8 games but he will never win them a Superbowl. So they will wallow in mediocrity and never get to the promised land, all the while wasting young talent on D.

Larry Fitz and ADP are going to waste their careers in their respective wastelands and they have only themselves to blame. They decided to sign FA contracts with their pathetic teams, both of whom have no clue what a franchise QB is. Nice trade for Kevin Kolb, Cards and nice job wasting a top 15 pick on Christian freaking Ponder. The way to do is to tank and get a top pick in the year there is a bonafide stud like Luck. Everything else is just hoping and praying. Just like the Jets...drafting Geno is going to screw them up. Because he is good enough to win them 6 to 8 games but he will never win them a Superbowl. So they will wallow in mediocrity and never get to the promised land, all the while wasting young talent on D.
Wasn't that Fitz idea? Ari did start 4-0 last season until the line collapsed btw.

Love how you know this already.

SportsGuru311 said:
I couldn't see fitz going to the Patriots. Now Gordon is another story
Yeah the Patriots are the one organization in the whole league just dying to go out on a limb and take a chance these days on a guy with character issues.

SportsGuru311 said:
Yeah the Patriots are the one organization in the whole league just dying to go out on a limb and take a chance these days on a guy with character issues.
Gordon would be a classic Pats move. They would get him for a 4th round pick (or something ridiculous like that) and then he would turn into Randy Moss 2.0 with Brady throwing him the ball. That move just screams NE Patriots.

As a Gordon owner, the Patriots are one of the few teams I would be excited seeing him dealt to. I was dead set against seeing him moved while he was tearing it up with Hoyer but with him out of the picture, that is not an issue any longer. I'm anxiously awaiting to see what he'll do with Campbell but it is Jason Campbell after all; I won't be holding my breath..

SportsGuru311 said:
If they were ever going to go get a guy relatively cheap with character concerns, it would be a guy like Gordon.

He isn't remotely close to being any kind of locker room cancer. Hard worker, nice kid........................but has issues. Just not the kind of issues that would divide a locker room or build tension with the coaching staff regarding playing time or targets or any of that kind of stuff.

SportsGuru311 said:
Gordon would be a classic Pats move. They would get him for a 4th round pick (or something ridiculous like that) and then he would turn into Randy Moss 2.0 with Brady throwing him the ball. That move just screams NE Patriots.

As a Gordon owner,.
Exactly.

Gordon owners: this thread isn't about you and the Patriots don't care about your pretend football team.

So lemme see if I got this straight... they wouldn't give Wes Welker (who has been more productive and valuable to his team than Fitz over the last few years) an extra $1-million, but they're gonna go and take on the monster contract of an aging WR in the middle of a season in which they have next to no chance of going anywhere past the Divisional round?

Seems legit. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter)

10/27/13, 9:52 AM

A trade for Cards WR Larry Fitzgerald will be in play this off-season, in likely event a deal not completed before Tuesdays trade deadline.

Users who are viewing this thread