What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

injury reserve (1 Viewer)

whitem0nkey

Footballguy
in our league we started to kick around the idea of injury reserve and I was wondering how other leagues handle it.

we have 16 roster spot in a 12 team league.

does he has to be listed as out?

do you allow teams to pick up hurt players to place them on the IR, or are you only allowed to place them on IR if you already had them on your roster.

In my main league, a player is only eligible for IR if he is put on the NFL's IR list. This makes sense for our keeper league, but it would not for re-draft. Additionally, nothing precludes an owner from picking up a player with the intent to put him into an IR slot, but, again, the above applies, and we only have one IR slot per team.

In my main league, a player is only eligible for IR if he is put on the NFL's IR list. This makes sense for our keeper league, but it would not for re-draft. Additionally, nothing precludes an owner from picking up a player with the intent to put him into an IR slot, but, again, the above applies, and we only have one IR slot per team.
When a new season starts and if a player is healthy do you have to free IR slot and include a player in the roster limits or you can keep him on the IR until you decide you want to start him?

When a new season starts and if a player is healthy do you have to free IR slot and include a player in the roster limits or you can keep him on the IR until you decide you want to start him?
Once healthy, the player has to come off IR.

My Dynasty League's Rules:

Each owner has 2 Physically Unable to Perform (PUP) & 1 Injured Reserve (IR) slot.

The PUP list is for injured players who according to a reputable source (ie..NFL.com, ESPN, etc.) likely will be out of competition for a minimum of 2 weeks.

Once a player on PUP is shown to have played in a game according to NFL.com, the owner only has until the beginning of the following week's games to put the player on his active roster or release him.

A player cannot be put onto IR unless he is also on IR in the NFL.

Once a player is put on IR he cannot be taken off at any time during the season.

When an owner puts a player on PUP or IR during the regular season, he must use a Free Agent pick to replace the injured player unless they replace this player with a taxi squad or developmental squad player of the same position.

If a player on PUP or IR is traded, the new owner has the option to place the injured player directly on his PUP or IR as long as the owner has an open PUP or IR slot.

A player may also be picked up with a Free Agent and put directly on PUP or IR and not on to the active roster.

In my keeper league each team gets one IR slot. The player has to be placed on IR by their team in order for him to qualify for IR in our league. For example, Tom Brady can be placed on IR but guys like Branch or Cadillac either need to be on the regular roster or on waivers. They do not qualify for IR even though they have an injury and are missing games.

If your team does not have an IR slot currently, DO NOT ADD ONE !!!

DO. NOT. ADD. ONE!

It is a silly thing. It is an abomination. It is unnecessary.

Just expand the rosters.

IR slots in fantasy are one of those stupid things that were created out of fairness which only seem to complicate anything and everything they can, and sometimes lead to whininess on whether a player is eligible or not.

That said, in my league, a player need only be on the Wednesday injury report (or on Injured reserve) to qualify. Probable, Questionable, Doubtful, Out. He qualifies. In my league, as well, he needs to spend two NFL weeks (games) on IR before being activated again.

It's a PITA. I've lobbied again and again for getting rid of the rule entirely. Never get enough votes.

There is no defensible reason for adding it to a league which does not already have it.

Fantasy IR is, at it's core, a capitulation to the fairness crowd.

The logical end of fairness in Fantasy Football is points leagues in which every team has the same players and all players are active. Everybody wins.

Fairness is overrated.

The chief cause of problems is solutions.

-- Eric Sevareid

We have 1 IR spot and it can only be occupied by players listed as either doubtful or out on the NFL injury report. Once the player is no longer on the NFL injury report with one of those statuses, he must be moved to a regular roster spot and another player must be dropped or, if eligible, moved to IR.

If a IR spot is used it should be exactly what it's made for. IR players of the NFL that were on your roster at the time they were injured! BRADY, pAYNE, bURELSON ECT ONLY. If you don't use it like this owners will make a mockery out of what the intentions for the additional spot was for to begin with!

All my good dynasty leagues have at least 1 extra IR spot. Some 2. They all must be elminated before next years rookie draft. Some at draft, some a date right before it.

Bruce zone expands rosters then cuts down before season so It's no biggie. Others must get down to normal for the draft meaning you want a rookie pick you have to not only emiminate the IR from previous season. But also make room for them on regular roster AND MAKE ROOM FOR ROOKIES.

It's intentions is to grant you temporary releif from loseing a player for season.

And for season only! players out for season only!

If your team does not have an IR slot currently, DO NOT ADD ONE !!!

DO. NOT. ADD. ONE!

It is a silly thing. It is an abomination. It is unnecessary.

The chief cause of problems is solutions.

-- Eric Sevareid
if you read no other post on this board this year, you must read this post. it's the single best thing you could do for your league!

We've got an IR policy in my league and like it, actually--it's straightforward and no confusion. Topes is correct that we could simply expand the rosters--but even though it's frustrating not being able to pick up a player due to lack of space we pretty much like the limited rosters. They allow for some seriously competitive teams, and encourage a lot of waiver wire action (which costs per each and adds to the end-of-year pot).

Player has to be "Questionable" or worse on the NFL report (used to be "Doubtful").

Player has to remain on IR through 4 weeks whether he actually plays after the first week or not.

One player, same position, is picked up to cover that IR, and may be transacted during that time as any other.

Trades/drops involving the player on IR must include the player covering.

After 4 weeks, the coverage player returns to the pool. The owner may decide instead to drop the IR player for a fee.

If the player is actually not playing for longer than 4 weeks, the owner can opt to go through the procedure again.

(ie: DJax a few years ago, hoping for the playoffs)

edit to add--this is a redraft league, 10 team, 15 player rosters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread