What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Interesting Aaron Brooks quote (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Winston Smith

Footballguy
link

Saints quarterback Aaron Brooks said there is no way of determining what kind of impact Benson's comments will have on the team.

"We'll find out," Brooks said. "I'm not here for hearsay. I come to do my job, do what's asked of me and get out of here."
As a Saints fan, all I can say is :bag: . Brooks is a talented guy, but he's got a lot of learning to do on the leadership end of things if he's ever going to be an elite NFL QB.

If I played for that organization I may want to get the hell out of there too.
Exactly. I don't blame him one bit if he wants out. The defense puts the offense behind the 8-ball every game, the offensive coordinator can't run plays AT ALL, the receivers drop balls left and right and constantly run the wrong routes, and the offensive line couldn't block my grandmother. And on top of that, he has to hear idiots who obviously have very little idea of how the game of football is played bash him constantly for things that are not his fault at all.I hope he leaves, just so he can get away from this disaster and go to a team that can allow him to flourish, just so people can see how wrong they were about him.

Last edited:
i dont think the comments suggested he is ready to leave the saints....maybe in the leave the field after the game sense.regardless, i think its time we clean house from top to bottom. START WITH BENSON!

And on top of that, he has to hear idiots who obviously have very little idea of how the game of football is played bash him constantly for things that are not his fault at all.
Yeah, anyone who knows anything about football knows that a lineman 10 yards behind the QB is a good target under certain circumstances. It wasn't Brooks fault that he threw that asinine pass. If the right play would have been called the lineman would have run a quick out, not a 7 step pass protection.C'mon. Yeah he's hindered by a terrible siuation, but every time he takes a step forward he takes two back. He almost did the same thing again this week. He's got a gun and some wheels but I think HIS performance is all his fault, caused in part by and adding to the team sucking in general. Maybe he'll do better somewhere else, PLummer didn't. But bad coaching, playcalling, blocking blahblahblahing doesn't make him do stupid stuff like that. He makes the mistakes as much as the rest of the team.

Yeah, anyone who knows anything about football knows that a lineman 10 yards behind the QB is a good target under certain circumstances. It wasn't Brooks fault that he threw that asinine pass. If the right play would have been called the lineman would have run a quick out, not a 7 step pass protection.
Ask yourself WHY Brooks was put in that position and you'll be one step closer to figuring out what the REAL problem is with this team.

If I played for that organization I may want to get the hell out of there too.
Exactly. I don't blame him one bit if he wants out. The defense puts the offense behind the 8-ball every game, the offensive coordinator can't run plays AT ALL, the receivers drop balls left and right and constantly run the wrong routes, and the offensive line couldn't block my grandmother. And on top of that, he has to hear idiots who obviously have very little idea of how the game of football is played bash him constantly for things that are not his fault at all.I hope he leaves, just so he can get away from this disaster and go to a team that can allow him to flourish, just so people can see how wrong they were about him.
is anything Brooks' fault?

is anything Brooks' fault?
Of course some things are his fault. Just like every other quarterback on every other team in the entire stinking NFL. Where have I ever said that he is perfect?But come on, even you have to admit...........no quarterback could be expected to succeed under these conditions.The offensive line is terrible -- FACT.The receivers drop a ton of passes and run the wrong routes all the time -- FACT.The defense is worst in the NFL in almost every category -- FACT.The coaching staff is the worst in the league -- not quite a fact, but an extremely widely held opinion, which is just as good.I just don't see how anybody with half a brain can look at this team and then proceed to judge him under these circumstances. Brooks is not the problem, he's a symptom of the problem.

Last edited:
Would anyone care to run down a list of the "problem" players on the Saints over the last few years that have been scapegoated and run out of town?

I hope he leaves, just so he can get away from this disaster and go to a team that can allow him to flourish, just so people can see how wrong they were about him.
I think the lack of leadership qualities and the poor decisionmaking when under pressure is POSSIBLY something that would follow him.I say "possibly" because there is a decent chance some of his lack of focus and lack of leadership may stem from him being unhappy in NO and being poorly coached.A change of scenery may create a change of attitude - ala Brian Griese (he actually displayed a lot of the "right" attitude when he was with the Dolphins and that has carried over to the Bucs, where Griese is receiving some excellent QB coaching).I think a good QB coach could do wonders for Brooks - Arizona, IMO, would be a great destination for him.Then again, he may simply not be a leader and may simply not be a good decision maker - either way, he is playing really poorly for the Saints right now.

either way, he is playing really poorly for the Saints right now.
The same thing was said about:Willie RoafRicky WilliamsKyle TurleyLa'Roi GloverGrady Jacksonand on.......and on........and on.......and on.......

I think we are in agreement if you read my post. Like I said, I think a change of scenery and solid QB coaching could be really good for Brooks.

I think we are in agreement if you read my post. Like I said, I think a change of scenery and solid QB coaching could be really good for Brooks.
The problem with your comments is, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater. That's what they did with all the other players I mentioned, and that's why the Haslett regime has failed miserably.

Last edited:
The problem with your comments is, you're throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
:confused: How am I doing that?

How am I doing that?
Not familiar with that expression?By suggesting that Brooks needs to go, rather than defining the source of the actual problem and correcting that.Perhaps I should have said you're throwing out the baby instead of the bathwater.

a spine and brain transplant wouldn't hurt either, like I said earlier this year this team is a joke plain and simple, you are imprisoned because they have never and will never be any good

How am I doing that?
Not familiar with that expression?By suggesting that Brooks needs to go, rather than defining the source of the actual problem and correcting that.Perhaps I should have said you're throwing out the baby instead of the bathwater.
but what if it's nasty, spunk-filled bathwater and a really ugly, inept baby?i'd get rid of both...

How am I doing that?
Now I understand what you are saying. However, I'sd respond that Brooks has had plenty of time to assume a leadership role in NO and has shown no inclination to do so - not sure he will ever develop that with the Saints.

Yeah, anyone who knows anything about football knows that a lineman 10 yards behind the QB is a good target under certain circumstances. It wasn't Brooks fault that he threw that asinine pass. If the right play would have been called the lineman would have run a quick out, not a 7 step pass protection.
Ask yourself WHY Brooks was put in that position and you'll be one step closer to figuring out what the REAL problem is with this team.
I'm not talking about the team's problems. I am saying that the guy blaming everyone else for Brook's problems is wrong. I understand the team as a whole has problems, but you still have to play smart in whatever situation you're in. He constantly tanks it.I was watching Playbook and saw that he threw a stupid pick for a TD while he was going down! I didn't even know that. I only saw the one where he "threw it away" and almost turned it over. They both prove my point exactly. Brooks makes very poor decisions constantly that are nobody's fault but his own. The team's got problems as a whole, but he isn't a victim of them. He's one of the key causes of them. Maybe he'll do well in another system, but not based on what I've seen of his mental processes.

However, I'sd respond that Brooks has had plenty of time to assume a leadership role in NO and has shown no inclination to do so - not sure he will ever develop that with the Saints.
That's very presumptious of you. I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.

I understand the team as a whole has problems, but you still have to play smart in whatever situation you're in.
Very few quarterbacks do when put in similar situations.

However, I'sd respond that Brooks has had plenty of time to assume a leadership role in NO and has shown no inclination to do so - not sure he will ever develop that with the Saints.
That's very presumptious of you. I don't think that's a safe assumption at all.
Why is that not a safe assumption?You are obviously a fan - what do you have to say regarding Brooks' leadership ability? Specifically, has it been demonstrated?

Specifically, has it been demonstrated?
See Rams-Saints playoffs, 2001.As to WHY it is not a safe assumption, you can't assume that because you don't have any firsthand experience to the contrary. I've heard people like Wayne Gandy and Joe Horn talk about what a hard worker Brooks is, how he puts in more hours than anybody else on the team, etc. I'd be more inclined to take those people at their word than some dude on a message board.No offense.

Last edited:
See Rams-Saints playoffs, 2001.
God, how many times have I heard my fellow Saints fans point to that game as reason to give Haslett and Brooks a pass on everything..Don't bother arguing with him, Marc. The homer goggles are in full effect.

You are obviously a fan
Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of Brooks. I simply see the problems of the team for what they really are rather than blaming it all on the quarterback.Are you aware that Archie Manning was nearly run out of town on a rail 30 years ago? People called him every dirty name in the book -- stupid, gutless, bum, loser, idiot, etc. etc. etc. The problem was not Manning, it was the organization he was surrounded by. Now, he's regarded as the best QB the Saints ever had.

God, how many times have I heard my fellow Saints fans point to that game as reason to give Haslett and Brooks a pass on everything..
He asked for an example, I gave him one. Don't make any more out of it than that.And please ceast and desist with the insults. That's not necessary at all.If you had actually read ANYTHING I have to say in this thread, you would realize that my comments are pretty much the exact opposite of "homer" remarks.

Last edited:
Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?That's a personal pet peeve I have with Brooks.J

God, how many times have I heard my fellow Saints fans point to that game as reason to give Haslett and Brooks a pass on everything..
He asked for an example, I gave him one. Don't make any more out of it than that.And please ceast and desist with the insults. That's not necessary at all.
What insults?J

Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?That's a personal pet peeve I have with Brooks.J
Yep, that rubbed me the wrong way as well. Some of those fans spent a disproportionate amount of their paycheck to watch their heroes compete...act like a professional.

Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?
No, because he's not the only one that does it.I've seen Deuce, Horn, and Pathon all doing it as well.

That drives everyone nuts except Haslett.

Saints fans, I'd ask this: Does the laughing on the sidelines bother you while the team is getting drilled?
No, because he's not the only one that does it.I've seen Deuce, Horn, and Pathon all doing it as well.
this makes absolutely no sense...isn't he supposed to be the leader?

What insults?J
homer goggles.Like I said, everything I've said in this thread is pretty much anti-homer as you can get.
Homer goggles is an insult worth ceasing and desisting over?This is a flame free forum but thicker skin is your friend, Bro.J

Homer goggles is an insult worth ceasing and desisting over?
Just nipping it into the bud. No need to let things degenerate, and that's just the kind of thing that starts a cycle of name-calling.

It's a little bit more egregious when it's the QB and supposed leader of the team. You will never see Peyton Manning or Daunte Culpepper with that kind demeanor in that situation.

It's a little bit more egregious when it's the QB and supposed leader of the team.
Like I said, Deuce was the one telling the joke. Whatever Deuce said was what made him laugh.

Last edited:
It's a little bit more egregious when it's the QB and supposed leader of the team. You will never see Peyton Manning or Daunte Culpepper with that kind demeanor in that situation.
Agreed.How a guy takes a loss is big with me.That was the primary problem I had with Ryan Leaf. In his last college game, they lost on a semi controversial call. A Peyton Manning / Daunte Culpepper would have been going ballistic fighting for his team. Leaf looked relieved he didn't have to try to win again and was laughing it up seconds after the team took a crushing loss.Don't slit your wrists but at least look like losing bothers you as much as it does the casual fan of the team.J

You are obviously a fan
Believe it or not, I'm not a huge fan of Brooks.
fan of the Saints.Re: Brooks, it isn't all on him, but a bunch of it is. There are quite a few plays I have seen from him in the last three weeks or so that a QB with his experience should not be making. Plus, from my observations, Haslett has put it on his shoulders quite a few times and let him throw when running the ball was the more intelligent move. It would be one thing if he just made bad throws in those situations, but he has made HORRIBLE throws in those situations - in the dirt, 4-6 feet away from the receiver, just horrible throws.And, he has a great record protecting the ball, but has made three plays in the last two weeks that reflected complete lack of awareness of what he should do to protect the ball - the INT to Wilson, the near fumble out of bounds later in the game, and the backwards throw the week before v. KC. All three of those plays are all on him and reflect a simple lack of good decision making - they reflected a lack of focus and a lack of football awareness.At least that is how I see his play the last few weeks.If you are willing to point to a game three years ago as proof of his leadership ability, you have to also account for his play the last three weeks, too. Anyone can have "a" good game - esp. considering 2001 was his and the Saints' magical year - it is how the QB responds to adverse situations that is as much a reflection of his leadership skills, and this year has been all adversity for the team.

I've seen Brooks do this multiple times in multiple games.
Did you happen to look at any of the other players as well?Team-wide problem, probably organization-wide. I've seen everybody from Dale Carter to Joe Horn to Mitch Berger doing that.

It's a little bit more egregious when it's the QB and supposed leader of the team. 
Like I said, Deuce was the one telling the joke. Whatever Deuce said was what made him laugh.
Sorry, Brooks has made a habit of laughing and giggling after virtually every one of his turnovers and in almost every Saints loss. If you think Brooks' yucking it up on the sidelines is limited to one instance then you are a Brooks apologist or need to watch the games a little closer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread