What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Introducing the "Disinformation Governance Board" (1 Viewer)

ekbeats

Footballguy
No, this is not from a George Orwell novel.  It's actually happening.  Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas testified Wednesday that the Department of Homeland Security is creating a "Disinformation Governance Board" to combat misinformation.

The Government is now interjecting itself in the highly subjective realm of what is and isn't misinformation.

Last edited by a moderator:
And the person heading up the new Disinformation Governance Board?  Nina Jankowicz, who helped pimp misinformation that the Hunter Biden laptop "is a Russian influence op".  You can't make this up.

I'm extremely hesitant to endorse the creation of this "board."

Is the propagation of misinformation a problem, currently, in this country? Yes. I honestly don't know what the solution is but, it surely isn't this.

Well, I don't think there is a national solution. There are things that can be done on an individual basis to combat misinformation. These things aren't transfered easily onto a grand scale.

This will not go well and I suspect the success of this venture will be determined differently by those who dispute its true goal. Which, is already suspect. 

This is one of those things where it's very easy to see why it's a bad idea if you pretend for a moment that it's being controlled by the person in American politics who you trust the least.  

If you're a Democrat and you trust Donald Trump to oversee a disinformation governance board run out of DHS, well bless your heart.  I assume everybody else should have no problem agreeing that this is a bad idea.

This is one of those things where it's very easy to see why it's a bad idea if you pretend for a moment that it's being controlled by the person in American politics who you trust the least.  

If you're a Democrat and you trust Donald Trump to oversee a disinformation governance board run out of DHS, well bless your heart.  I assume everybody else should have no problem agreeing that this is a bad idea.
With the info provided in this thread, this seems like a pretty bad idea.

This is so creepy...what is next, if this Orwellian Board (I mean seriously with the name) doesn't like what you are saying you go to a Re-Education Camp?  I cannot fathom anyone other than a partisan hack and/or an ideologue thinking this is a good idea and doesn't think it won't be abused to punish political opponents.

I don’t understand why anything remotely close to this would be under the purview of the department of homeland security.

Threats are threats.  People saying the vaccine doesn’t work is not a threat the DHS should be interested in.  People saying they want to blow up the CDC are people they should be interested in…regardless of the reasons why.

Muslims saying they are going to blow up a synagogue is a threat.  That said, Muslims telling each other Jews are evil, despite being misinformation, should not be under the purview of the DHS.

Nina Jankowicz 

@wiczipedia

Cat's out of the bag: here's what I've been up to the past two months, and why I've been a bit quiet on here. Honored to be serving in the Biden Administration

@DHSgov

and helping shape our counter-disinformation efforts.

Nina Jankowicz 

@wiczipedia

Cat's out of the bag: here's what I've been up to the past two months, and why I've been a bit quiet on here. Honored to be serving in the Biden Administration

@DHSgov

and helping shape our counter-disinformation efforts.
wiczipedia huh. Already don’t like her 

All I’ve learned this week is the right spreads disinformation and Biden will appoint someone from the left to take care of it.  

I’m not sure I like that take.

wiczipedia huh. Already don’t like her 

https://wiczipedia.com/about-2/

Jankowicz has extensive media experience, with writing published in many major American newspapers and magazines, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic. She is a regular guest on major radio and television programs such as the PBS Newshour, CNN’s Fareed Zakaria GPS and Amanpour, the BBC World Service, and NPR’s All Things Considered.

There is virtually no info provided in this thread (or anywhere else that I can find) about what exactly this board is going to do.  I’m not sure how anyone can make any sort of judgment about whether it’s good or bad.
Unless this agency's sole charge is to immediately disband as its first order of business, I feel comfortable opposing it.

All I’ve learned this week is the right spreads disinformation and Biden will appoint someone from the left to take care of it.  

I’m not sure I like that take.
So the Dems are doubling down on relying on their misinformation campaign to spread fear and lies.   Cool.   

https://wiczipedia.com/about-2/

Jankowicz has extensive media experience, with writing published in many major American newspapers and magazines, including The New York Times, The Washington Post, and The Atlantic. She is a regular guest on major radio and television programs such as the PBS Newshour, CNN’s Fareed Zakaria GPS and Amanpour, the BBC World Service, and NPR’s All Things Considered.
She does seem to have a resume that screams she is an expert in Fake News.  

Good morning, for some reason I’m up early: when I read about this last night I thought it was a good idea. Upon reflection I don’t think so. 

There are millions of Americans who believe the 2020 election was stolen. They believe it largely because Donald Trump can’t admit to himself that he lost, so he created this lie out of thin air and all too many of those that voted for him bought into it. This is very dangerous for our society but I don’t think you can fight it with a government agency. People are going to believe what they want to believe. I wish everybody still trusted the mainstream media. Ah well. 

But some of the reactions here have been quite over the top IMO. 

This honestly seems like a good thing to me. I mean, the election wasn’t stolen and millions still think it was. And that led directly to the January 6 riot. So let’s get the truth out there. 
Which led to a social media site called Truth Social where the participants gather together to spread lies.

Good morning, for some reason I’m up early: when I read about this last night I thought it was a good idea. Upon reflection I don’t think so. 

There are millions of Americans who believe the 2020 election was stolen. They believe it largely because Donald Trump can’t admit to himself that he lost, so he created this lie out of thin air and all too many of those that voted for him bought into it. This is very dangerous for our society but I don’t think you can fight it with a government agency. People are going to believe what they want to believe. I wish everybody still trusted the mainstream media. Ah well. 

But some of the reactions here have been quite over the top IMO. 
I recommend you go see 2000 Mules 

While I don’t think it’s the government’s job, how do people suggest misinformation be combatted? Or is it just the price of free speech?

And the person heading up the new Disinformation Governance Board?  Nina Jankowicz, who helped pimp misinformation that the Hunter Biden laptop "is a Russian influence op".  You can't make this up.
In what way did she help pimp that?  Besides her live tweeting the debate and directly quoting Biden?

Im not saying this whole thing is a good idea...its probably needed somewhere but somewhere independent will be the only way its accepted by anyone. 

When I google "Disinformation Governance Board," the sources I get are Fox News, Daily Mail, and then a bunch of sites that I've never heard of but are obviously right-wing fringe sites.  But as far as I can tell, this testimony actually did take place, this is actually a real thing that the Department of Homeland Security is really doing, and for some reason no mainstream site (other than Fox) decided it was newsworthy.  

That seems like a topic that is worthy of discussion itself.  What the hell?

Anyway, from the Fox News article:

Mayorkas said a "Disinformation Governance Board" had recently been created and will be led by Undersecretary for Policy Rob Silvers co-chair with principal deputy general counsel Jennifer Gaskill.

"The goal is to bring the resources of (DHS) together to address this threat," Mayorkas said, adding that the department is focused on the spread of disinformation in minority communities 
https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mayorkas-dhs-disinformation-governance-board

Is there anybody, anywhere, including in the Republican party, who wouldn't do a double-take at a Republican administration promising to police media consumption in minority communities for "disinformation?"

While I don’t think it’s the government’s job, how do people suggest misinformation be combatted? Or is it just the price of free speech?
It’s the price and it’s a ship imo I’d go down with.  Because it is the ship, freedom to say whatever dumb #### you want.

How to combat. Truth.  Most importantly and where we utterly fail is constructive interaction amongst people with differing views.  Can learn a lot from our interactions here.

Not sure why it was so hard for people to use google and learn more about this, but here you go:

Disinformation board to tackle Russia, migrant smugglers

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Department of Homeland Security is stepping up an effort to counter disinformation coming from Russia as well as misleading information that human smugglers circulate to target migrants hoping to travel to the U.S.-Mexico border.

“The spread of disinformation can affect border security, Americans’ safety during disasters, and public trust in our democratic institutions,” the department said in a statement Wednesday. It declined The Associated Press’ request for an interview.

A newly formed Disinformation Governance Board announced Wednesday will immediately begin focusing on misinformation aimed at migrants, a problem that has helped to fuel sudden surges at the U.S. southern border in recent years. Human smugglers often spread misinformation around border policies to drum up business.

Last September, for example, confusion around President Joe Biden’s immigration policies combined with messages shared widely across the Haitian community on Meta’s Facebook and WhatsApp platforms led some of the 14,000 migrants to the border town of Del Rio, Texas, where they set up camp. Some were ultimately expelled and were flown out of the U.S.

“We are very concerned that Haitians who are taking the irregular migration path are receiving misinformation that the border is open,” Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas said at the time.

The new board also will monitor and prepare for Russian disinformation threats as this year’s midterm elections near and the Kremlin continues an aggressive disinformation campaign around the war in Ukraine. Russia has repeatedly waged misinformation campaigns aimed at U.S. audiences to further divisions around election time and spread conspiracy theories around U.S. COVID-19 vaccines. Most recently, Russian state media outlets, social media accounts and officials have used the internet to call photographs, reporting and videos of dead bodies and bombed buildings in Ukraine fake.

The board will be led by disinformation expert Nina Jankowicz, who has researched Russian misinformation tactics and online harassment.

During the 2020 presidential campaign, Biden, a Democrat, repeatedly said he would push tech companies, including Facebook, to crack down harder on misinformation and conspiracy theories that have overwhelmed social media and its users.

Dozens of Republican lawmakers and pundits took to social media on Wednesday to widely criticize the new board and call for it to be disbanded.

“Rather than police our border, Homeland Security has decided to make policing Americans’ speech its top priority,” a tweet from Missouri’s U.S. Sen. Josh Hawley read, in part. “They’re creating a Disinformation Board.”

DHS said in its statement that the board will “protect privacy, civil rights, and civil liberties” as part of its duties.

link

Hard to tell but it sounds like it is focused on external threats, not Americans' speech. Back to your regularly scheduled efforts to keep Americans frrom learning that slavery happened and was bad.

When I google "Disinformation Governance Board," the sources I get are Fox News, Daily Mail, and then a bunch of sites that I've never heard of but are obviously right-wing fringe sites.  But as far as I can tell, this testimony actually did take place, this is actually a real thing that the Department of Homeland Security is really doing, and for some reason no mainstream site (other than Fox) decided it was newsworthy.  

I had the same experience.   My guess is that more mainstream publications are trying to understand what this board actually does so that they can actually provide useful information to readers instead of fearmongering.

There is virtually no info provided in this thread (or anywhere else that I can find) about what exactly this board is going to do.  I’m not sure how anyone can make any sort of judgment about whether it’s good or bad.
Agreed.  All I have to go by is the name, which in itself is damning but incomplete.
Agreed as well.  The official creation of such a group is a bit concerning, though, even if granted no powers whatsoever.  The next administration may decide to add new powers.

Also, if there are no powers and no formal recognition, making such an announcement is, politically, a terrible idea.  No matter what, the folks not currently in power will get riled up at such an announcement.

Anyway, from the Fox News article:

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/mayorkas-dhs-disinformation-governance-board

Is there anybody, anywhere, including in the Republican party, who wouldn't do a double-take at a Republican administration promising to police media consumption in minority communities for "disinformation?"

This is a perfect example of media bias...this is not newsworthy?  Elon Musk bought Twitter and it 24/7 commentary about how it is the end of the world because of too much free speech...our government is setting up an agency with a creepy name to combat disinformation and it is crickets or the usual gaslighting of we don't know what it is yet...again, another example of how much the political/ideological landscape has changed since the 60's.

Users who are viewing this thread