What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

kupcho1 said:
iTunes is such a ####### disaster now. How did they screw it up so bad?
I haven't been on iTunes in a year and a half. No real reason to go on since I can update iOS over wifi

I think the last time I went on was to check our their new at the time radio app: hot garbage.

Speaking of which, I have an iPad 2 (opted for the 2 even though the 3 was available when I cracked my previous 2; $100 less and no real difference to me in performance) and am holding off moving to iOS8 until the next iteration. Too many horror stories. I understand that the 2 is the oldest model theoretically supported by iOS8, but still seems like a mess.
I put iOS8 on my iPad2 with no issues at all...

kupcho1 said:
I haven't been on iTunes in a year and a half. No real reason to go on since I can update iOS over wifi

I think the last time I went on was to check our their new at the time radio app: hot garbage.

Speaking of which, I have an iPad 2 (opted for the 2 even though the 3 was available when I cracked my previous 2; $100 less and no real difference to me in performance) and am holding off moving to iOS8 until the next iteration. Too many horror stories. I understand that the 2 is the oldest model theoretically supported by iOS8, but still seems like a mess.
Thanks. Been reading that it is slow, that the fonts look "off" and other issues.

So if you're not having any problems, what are the benefits to updating if I might ask?

I'll hang up and listen...

kupcho1 said:

Thanks. Been reading that it is slow, that the fonts look "off" and other issues.

So if you're not having any problems, what are the benefits to updating if I might ask?

Main benefit of updating early is to catch an early jailbreak.

Primary jailbreak benefits for ipads are parental controls and some other minor UI tweaks.

kupcho1 said:

None that I've noticed. I'm just a sucker for an upgrade. Not slow though, FWIW.

any insight as to what's going on this year? I have a near perfect condition ipad 4 retina I want to unload and looking to know when the right time is

Not impressed today. I have an iPad 2 which is still working just fine. I think I am going to wait for a bigger iPad before I dive into the tablet sector again.

Well, the new iPad Air 2 and iPad Mini 3 are here and.......Wah wah wah wah!. Very disappointed, overall, but I DO see a silver lining (but, first, to catch up the casual readers):

The New iPad Air 2 is what you would expect: Same dimensions pretty much, nothing greatly changed. Faster, TouchiD, absolutely nothing you didn't see coming and all the price points are the same. The 32GB is gone, just like the iPhone6 and 6plus. Both new models DO also offer Apple Sim which allows you to pick and choose your carriers as you need to. Big boost for frequent changers, overseas travelers, etc, but probably not a big deal for 85% of us.

BUYERS: Probably the folks looking to get into the Apple economy for the first time and want a great product or the existing folks living with the iPad 2 or previous. Seems iPad 2 owners have one foot in the grave, although I will say we updated to IOS 8.0.2 on one in our home and its holding up with no notable adverse effects...so far.

The New iPad 3 Mini is..well, it is a slap in the face on many levels because it is literally the exact same device as the iPad 2 Mini with the exception of they added a gold color and you get TouchiD. Following suit, the 32gb option is out.

Buyers: Only the foolish. Seriously. $100 for a coat of paint or TouchiD? No thanks.

THE SILVER LINING!!! This part, I'm actually excited about. So now, thanks to the new releases, you can get an iPad Mini 2 for $299 (16gb) or $349 (32Gb). That's a pretty sweet deal considering you get exactly the same specs as the model announced yesterday if you can live without the TouchiD.

Now, on the surface, you may think "Is that really such a nice deal?" It is for a specific group of people. If you do not own the iPhone 6 Plus, but you want a device that is going to offer more screen real estate than the iPhone6, along with great design, specs, etc, etc, then for a couple of hundred bucks, you can have it all. You'll get the A7 speed, the solid design and Apple ecosystem (assuming you are already locked into it), retina display on a 7.8 screen, on a 12 ounce device.

THE SILVER LINING!!! This part, I'm actually excited about. So now, thanks to the new releases, you can get an iPad Mini 2 for $299 (16gb) or $349 (32Gb). That's a pretty sweet deal considering you get exactly the same specs as the model announced yesterday if you can live without the TouchiD.
Thanks for posting. I am in the market for a new tablet, this deal sounds pretty good. Those of you who have had the mini for a year now how do you like it?

Thanks for posting. I am in the market for a new tablet, this deal sounds pretty good. Those of you who have had the mini for a year now how do you like it?
I can't live without my mini. I had an ipad2 for awhile. moved to the mini1, will probably get the mini2 now and give the mini1 to my kids full time.

Was really hoping they'd put something out that was a big step up.

I can't live without my mini. I had an ipad2 for awhile. moved to the mini1, will probably get the mini2 now and give the mini1 to my kids full time.

Was really hoping they'd put something out that was a big step up.
Glad I read this. My iPad2 is about to crap out (disclosure: I beat the hell out of it), and was wondering about moving to the Mini. Will most likely be getting the Mini 2.

The mini 3 might be the most disappointing refresh. Ever.

Why even bother?
My thought is they are clearly steering herd towards the iphone 6 Plus and/or the iPad Air2. And that makes sense. They do literally nothing outside of color and one mod to call it something new and wait for the uninformed portion of the consumer base to drive sales. very little risk/cost involved in that. Then, the people that are really studying this decide if they want the screen real estate or not and factor in things like portability, whether they have the 6, 6+, etc.

Personally, I like it because I see it as manufactured competition, regardless of the fact that it is internal. Had they not released the Mini 3, the Mini 2 would be the same price it ahs been. But now it is slashed and for a couple hundred bucks, its a great device that will fit my needs.

Another very satisfied Mini2 owner here. Very, VERY happy with my current setup:

iPhone6 is with me all day outside of the house. The 6 is the perfect size for my mobile needs. Best phone I've ever owned, hands down.

iPad Mini2 is my go to device inside when I get home from work. Browsing the net, reading, videos, Facetime, etc - it's the perfect device. It's also my go to device when I travel. Perfect on planes and at the hotel, no need to slug around my laptop.

MacBook Air 11" is my home cpu. Does all the heavy lifting for any home computing needs. Photo editing, spreadsheet work, etc.

I currently have an first generation iPad and an iphone 4. Yes, I'm several generations behind on both. I have a 6+ on order, but would also like to replace the tablet. But I'm also probably going to hold off until I get my 6+ and see how it works.

But I've also looked at the Kindle Fire HDs. Should I consider one of those rather than a new iPad?

I think it's probably a good thing to have 59 different iPad SKUs.
[/sarcasm]

Jobs is probably punching the roof of his casket right now yelling obscenities.

I currently have an first generation iPad and an iphone 4. Yes, I'm several generations behind on both. I have a 6+ on order, but would also like to replace the tablet. But I'm also probably going to hold off until I get my 6+ and see how it works.

But I've also looked at the Kindle Fire HDs. Should I consider one of those rather than a new iPad?
The biggest drawback I find every time I start looking at the comparable products is...exactly what Apple hopes for....you may find things that are better on one or the other, cheaper on one or the other, but at the end of the day, if you are already invested into Apple's ecosystem, it is harder to justify breaking away because you already have money into their apps, music, video, chargers, and so on and on.

But since you have a 6+ ordered, I don't see you necessarily getting a mini as the best choice (because the 6+ is a good size already) so maybe the Air 2 is the logical next thing.

So what's the best iPad to target for a kids Xmas gift. Just to play apps and have a couple movies on. iPad 3rd Gens?

The biggest drawback I find every time I start looking at the comparable products is...exactly what Apple hopes for....you may find things that are better on one or the other, cheaper on one or the other, but at the end of the day, if you are already invested into Apple's ecosystem, it is harder to justify breaking away because you already have money into their apps, music, video, chargers, and so on and on.

But since you have a 6+ ordered, I don't see you necessarily getting a mini as the best choice (because the 6+ is a good size already) so maybe the Air 2 is the logical next thing.
Yes, I am definitely waiting until I get the 6+ before I do anything.

And, your other point is also correct. I bought a refurbed Kindle Fire HD and ended us sending it back because it wasn't my iPad... :shrug:

I may be stuck with the Air 2...

I haven't been on iTunes in a year and a half. No real reason to go on since I can update iOS over wifiI think the last time I went on was to check our their new at the time radio app: hot garbage.

I updated my IPad 2 before reading any of this. It slowed mine down a ton. It also crashes semi frequently now-never did before. Also has been "freezing" semi frequently, never did before (freezing as in becomes totally unresponsive, can't even turn it off, typically lasts 1-2 minutes before it will respond.

Surfing the Internet is now almost not worth the time. Every few minutes, while loading a page, I now get the message "an error occurred on this webpage so it was reloaded". Sometimes this will happen 3-4 consecutive times on one page. This had never happened to me a single time before updating.

Very aggravated, wish I had never updated it.

Gandalf the Grey said:
I haven't been on iTunes in a year and a half. No real reason to go on since I can update iOS over wifiI think the last time I went on was to check our their new at the time radio app: hot garbage.

I updated my IPad 2 before reading any of this. It slowed mine down a ton. It also crashes semi frequently now-never did before. Also has been "freezing" semi frequently, never did before (freezing as in becomes totally unresponsive, can't even turn it off, typically lasts 1-2 minutes before it will respond.

Surfing the Internet is now almost not worth the time. Every few minutes, while loading a page, I now get the message "an error occurred on this webpage so it was reloaded". Sometimes this will happen 3-4 consecutive times on one page. This had never happened to me a single time before updating.

Very aggravated, wish I had never updated it.
I still haven't update it and am thinking that's the right move. The 44 updates on the App Store logo doesn't even bother me any more :D

iPad 2 is s.... l.... o..... w.....

Probably has to do with the memory more than the apps and such but there is a few seconds delay on any app opening. Apple upgrades to make the older pieces slow which "forces" you to buy the newer stuff. Ugh!

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/21/buyers-guide-deals-older-ipads/

Just saw this... I'm not in the market for a new iPad but if I can get $200 for my iPad 2... that seems like a good deal to upgrade, no?

Then again, the iPad 2 could be used as a gift if we knew Apple was making a bigger iPad, which is what I would end up buying anyway.

Thoughts?

Still $400 out of pocket though even with a trade-in... ugh!
If yours is a 16GB wifi it's not too bad. $400 is a lot but it's 3.5 years newer and you'll be able to trade it in again for $200 in a few years.

I have a 32 gb iPad 2. To get the 64gb it would be $450 + a new case. I'm tempted although I'd really like to know if apple is bringing out their own version of the surface pro 3. That just makes me hesitant.

http://www.macrumors.com/2014/10/21/buyers-guide-deals-older-ipads/

Just saw this... I'm not in the market for a new iPad but if I can get $200 for my iPad 2... that seems like a good deal to upgrade, no?

Then again, the iPad 2 could be used as a gift if we knew Apple was making a bigger iPad, which is what I would end up buying anyway.

Thoughts?

Still $400 out of pocket though even with a trade-in... ugh!
If yours is a 16GB wifi it's not too bad. $400 is a lot but it's 3.5 years newer and you'll be able to trade it in again for $200 in a few years.
Alright, I made the trade. Apparently it was the last night to do so.

Will cases for the iPad Air 1 work with the iPad Air 2? The only difference in dimension is the thickness of the two and they are off by .05 of an inch (.29 vs. .24).

Do OSX keyboard shortcuts work on iOS?

Can I use "Command, Shift, 4" on iOS?

That is the big one I use so I am curious to know. I'm looking for a keyboard case although I still have one from my iPad 2 and it seems okay to use for now instead of paying $100+ for a new one.

iPad 2 is s.... l.... o..... w.....

Probably has to do with the memory more than the apps and such but there is a few seconds delay on any app opening. Apple upgrades to make the older pieces slow which "forces" you to buy the newer stuff. Ugh!
still on ipad 2 v 5.23

heard the same about ios 8 no point to upgrade really

With specifications out months before the thing actually comes out... why does it take so long for case manufacturers to come out with good cases? The iPad Air 2 has zero good keyboard cases out there right now. What gives?

From Belkin to Zagg to even the Clamcase... nothing.

With specifications out months before the thing actually comes out... why does it take so long for case manufacturers to come out with good cases? The iPad Air 2 has zero good keyboard cases out there right now. What gives?

From Belkin to Zagg to even the Clamcase... nothing.
Keyboards won't be out till December. I don't get it. There is money to be made and these companies don't have their stuff ready. Disappointing.

I've been looking at Windows apps (for what I'm looking for) and nothing. There are a few that look "better" for the iPad but nothing Earth shattering either. If only the iPad could run the full OS there'd be many more options.

Some iPad apps are on sale this time of year so keep your eyes open.

I haven't bought it yet, hoping it will be a lower price soon but I'd be prone to playing this game and have tested playing the new tower defense Star Wars game.

Game 1 - Kingdom Rush Origins (always good fun and a challenge. Third game in the series) $4.99

Game 2 - Star Wars Galactic Defense (similar to Kingdom Rush) Free

There was an older Star Wars tower defense game that was fun but has since been taken off of the app store. I guess you could call this new one the "sequel" to it.

Not sure if this is a Honda, but...Does anyone know any decent lightning cables for the iPad (assume if they are good for iPad, they will be good for other iOS)? I have been having issues with the iPad taking cables. One will work for another iOS device and not for the iPad, had this issue with my Gen 1 as well as my Mini 2. I am using the higher Amp chargers with the iPad, just after a very short time, the cables will tend to go "Not Charging" or "this device is not supported." PITA. Sometimes they will work if I flip it over.

Now I don't buy the certified cables, but shouldn't one that works on the iPhone 5 work on an iPad mini?

TIA

Quick question for your Apple guys...

My dad has a Bose speaker/docking station that he uses with his ipod. He wants to be able to connect it to his Ipad. I'm sure there's some sort of connector/convertor but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly which one to get.

Anyone have any options?

My dad has a Bose speaker/docking station that he uses with his ipod. He wants to be able to connect it to his Ipad. I'm sure there's some sort of connector/convertor but I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly which one to get.

Anyone have any options?
Is the iPod one of the old 30 pin connectors and the iPad the new lighting connectors?

Mine has been running slow as dog #### since the update. Like when I open Maps and click the search box, I can type two whole words before a single letter appears. And this is with nothing else running. It's awful.

Mine has been running slow as dog #### since the update. Like when I open Maps and click the search box, I can type two whole words before a single letter appears. And this is with nothing else running. It's awful.
I'm never updating it. I haven't had any problems in NOT doing so; why bother?

Anyone have any options?
Is the iPod one of the old 30 pin connectors and the iPad the new lighting connectors?
pretty sure

Anyone have any options?
pretty sure
Going to be hard to find something that easily connects the iPad to the docking station because of the sound. Most of the connectors are data only. They make some for the iPhones/iPods that have a connector for the audio at the bottom.

Since the audio port for the iPad is at the opposite end of the device, I think the most efficient way to connect to something like what you are looking at is a Bluetooth adapter. You just leave that in the port of the docking station and you can connect via Bluetooth. Bingo!

You mentioned Bose, and I saw one specifically for a Bose Sounddock. Not sure why it is different, but it's $10 cheaper!

HTH.

I have a first generation iPad still. Outside of the battery life being bad and just shutting down on certain sites with lots of pics/flash, etc becaus the operating system can't be updated any higher than 5.1.1...I don't really have any complaints. I just use it for checking email and surfing random sites. No movies or anything like that.

But, it's time to upgrade. Knowing all this what is my best bang for the buck....best to just go with the latest Air 2 or is a later model and getting cheaper somehow better route to go for me?

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a first generation iPad still. Outside of the battery life being bad and just shutting down on certain sites with lots of pics/flash, etc becaus the operating system can't be updated any higher than 5.1.1...I don't really have any complaints. I just use it for checking email and surfing random sites. No movies or anything like that.

But, it's time to upgrade. Knowing all this what is my best bang for the buck....best to just go with the latest Air 2 or is a later model and getting cheaper somehow better route to go for me?
Had one, upgraded to the Mini 2 (? - second to newest version) and I love it. It was less $$$, and I don't miss the size of the full iPad.

Mr. Ected said:
offdee said:

Had one, upgraded to the Mini 2 (? - second to newest version) and I love it. It was less $$$, and I don't miss the size of the full iPad.
I'll want a full size one, not mini

Looking to get a good deal on an iPad for my wife. Her school (she's an elementary school teacher) gives $200 towards purchasing an iPad so that she's familiar with the equipment that the students use. Is an iPad 2 too old? Is the iPad Mini 2 too small? We already have 2 iPad 2's that two of our kids use (10 yr old and 7 yr old). Our 4 yr old would be able to use this new iPad also. So, is it better to go with the Mini 2 for her smaller hands?

TIA

Looking to get a good deal on an iPad for my wife. Her school (she's an elementary school teacher) gives $200 towards purchasing an iPad so that she's familiar with the equipment that the students use. Is an iPad 2 too old? Is the iPad Mini 2 too small? We already have 2 iPad 2's that two of our kids use (10 yr old and 7 yr old). Our 4 yr old would be able to use this new iPad also. So, is it better to go with the Mini 2 for her smaller hands?

TIA
I have the ipad 2 (7 years old?) works like a champ! unless the apps she is using requires some super high processor speed I would go with the ipad 2 imo. im assuming its around 100$ now adays

Ordered the iPad Pro 128gb. I'm waiting to see how newer keyboards/cases look and if they fix some of the deficiencies. Likely will go after-market if I get a keyboard.

Waiting on the Apple Pencil for a bit too. From what I read it's much more than just a stylus but not sure it's necessary for me.

Ordered the iPad Pro 128gb. I'm waiting to see how newer keyboards/cases look and if they fix some of the deficiencies. Likely will go after-market if I get a keyboard.

Waiting on the Apple Pencil for a bit too. From what I read it's much more than just a stylus but not sure it's necessary for me.
goon has to be rolling in his grave right now :poursa40:

If anyone is looking for iPad Mini 2 deals hit Target with the Walmart price up on your phone to price match.

I bought three today at $199 ($70 off each) and lo and behold I also received $50 Target gift cards for each so I got that going for me, which is nice. Surprised at the extra $150 off. Look at me.

If anyone is looking for iPad Mini 2 deals hit Target with the Walmart price up on your phone to price match.

I bought three today at $199 ($70 off each) and lo and behold I also received $50 Target gift cards for each so I got that going for me, which is nice. Surprised at the extra $150 off. Look at me.
I sold my iPad Air 2 last week cause I have an iPad Mini 3. The Air was 64gb and the Mini is 16gb. One thing I'm finding is that a 32gb is the minimum I should have. Unfortunately, before I go buy one with more memory, I'd prefer to sell the Mini 3. I can't go Mini 4 because I could not use the case I have now.

If the ones you bought were 16gb... you only have 12gb to use for games and apps and such. Not good.

I sold my iPad Air 2 last week cause I have an iPad Mini 3. The Air was 64gb and the Mini is 16gb. One thing I'm finding is that a 32gb is the minimum I should have. Unfortunately, before I go buy one with more memory, I'd prefer to sell the Mini 3. I can't go Mini 4 because I could not use the case I have now.If the ones you bought were 16gb... you only have 12gb to use for games and apps and such. Not good.
If it was their only device I hear you. But they have iPhones for music and pictures. The usable memory should be fine for apps and games, especially with some going to the cloud as needed.

Users who are viewing this thread