What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

iPad mini question.Trying to download a movie from either iTunes or Amazon but my kid's iPad mini keeps saying "Cannot download. There is not enough available storage to download MovieX. You can manage your storage in Settings". I checked and the thing and it has a couple of GBs worth of room. Any i Experts out there?

iPad mini question.Trying to download a movie from either iTunes or Amazon but my kid's iPad mini keeps saying "Cannot download. There is not enough available storage to download MovieX. You can manage your storage in Settings". I checked and the thing and it has a couple of GBs worth of room. Any i Experts out there?
Scroll down on the movie choice and see how large the file is. Could be pretty big.  

Clear some space under Settings > General > Storage and iCloud Usage. See what apps they can live without. Also might want to clear data at Settings > Safari > Clear website data. 

Otherwise backup photos and videos and get some of those off there. 

went through the website storage thinking the same thing. It says used -7.74 GB,  Available- 4.5 GB. I wouldn't thing a 2 hour SD movie would be 4.5 plus GBs.

ETA Movie is 2.21 GB in SD

Last edited by a moderator:
Been about two years since I gave up my iPad as I went from laptop to the surface... was redundant and became a paperweight so gave it to my god daughter. 

Don't miss it one iota, though still have iPhone (got the small 7).

for those who love the tablet aspect but also need / want the full capabilities of an all out laptop definitely check out the Surface. 

To those who love the iPad, keep padding!

https://www.apple.com/ipad/

The new iPad today seems pretty intriguing. The ability of the pencil is huge, imo. I was looking at the 10.5" Pro because I was hoping to expand on some things I'd like to do however I am coming down on the side of, "how much will I actually use it,"... essentially "want vs. need." I think this one is really intriguing for students and something to get into if you have kids at home.

Are they still getting rid of the Mini? I love that size, we have 3 of them. 1 for me and 2 of 3 kids have one. The full size just seems too big.

The full size just seems too big.
That's what my wife said until she started using the bigger one. Enjoys it much better. 
I had one of the original full size iPads, went down when it died. I just like the smaller size, it is easier to carry around; I often will stick it in a coat pocket.

I usually am only playing minor games, web surfing and reading on it, so I don't need huge amounts of screen space. For reading, horizontally it is a bit wider than a hard cover book, so it is more than I need. :2cents:

anyone know if it can run the native Adobe Creative Cloud yet (InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, etc)? Not the slimed down apps. I want an iPad Pro so bad, but until it can run the programs I use, then its not really worth the cost to me. 

Anyone with a 2017 (5th Gen?) model have a hard time getting a broken screen repaired? Apple charges $249 which is almost what I paid for it new ($269) and the mall stores/kiosks don't repair them yet (maybe Apple is keeping the aftermarket screens on lock-down?)

Anyone with a 2017 (5th Gen?) model have a hard time getting a broken screen repaired? Apple charges $249 which is almost what I paid for it new ($269) and the mall stores/kiosks don't repair them yet (maybe Apple is keeping the aftermarket screens on lock-down?)
Just had a 2nd Gen repaired by a guy who did it in my house, so I chatted with him while we were doing it. It turns out the reason why it's so its expensive is that the 'screen' is actually two parts, the LCD (TV like) screen and the 'cover' that is the touchscreen. When you do replacement, even if only the touch screen is broken, you have to replace both. You can do one, but it is sooo much more difficult that you might as well just do both to get it right.

I got a deal because the website that I went thru was a company that set up appts for 'contractors' to do the work. On their site they had the cost wrong for my iPad, but had to honor it because it was on their site.

It turns out the reason why it's so its expensive is that the 'screen' is actually two parts, the LCD (TV like) screen and the 'cover' that is the touchscreen. When you do replacement, even if only the touch screen is broken, you have to replace both. You can do one, but it is sooo much more difficult that you might as well just do both to get it right.
Ugh, thanks. I might as well wait until I see a deal for the new 6th Gens. Rather sell my broken one for $40-$50 and spend $300 on a new 6th than $250 to repair a 5th. 

Best Buy has a great deal on the iPad Pro 10.5" for now. I'm interested in buying one but money is tight for a bit and rumors are newer iPad's are coming out soon. Refurb iPads on Apples site are $25 more than the Best Buy ones right now.

Price = $525

Best Buy has a great deal on the iPad Pro 10.5" for now. I'm interested in buying one but money is tight for a bit and rumors are newer iPad's are coming out soon. Refurb iPads on Apples site are $25 more than the Best Buy ones right now.

Price = $525
I have a 64gb iPad pro 10.5 and really like it. Great for reading comics if you happen to be a nerd like me.

I have a 64gb iPad pro 10.5 and really like it. Great for reading comics if you happen to be a nerd like me.
My conundrum is that I had an iPad Mini that does what I need it to do. I have a Surface 3 for work purposes but have not seen the new Surface Go. The Surface Pro came out in June 2017 and Microsoft tends to run on a near 18-month schedule (while Apple does a ~12-month). So, a new Surface Pro model might be coming out soon. Those tend to be too big for my liking but the Go seems too small. The Surface 3 was perfect (it was like a loose leaf sheet of paper).

My school does not work well with Apple products, thus sticking with Microsoft. So, the Pro would be for at home purposes only which is what I have the Mini for. So, I am kind of in tablet purgatory because there is nothing the iPad Pro offers that I need. But, for $525, if someone is looking for an iPad... that is a good deal.

I can’t buy the new iPad Pro fast enough. Wonder what’s the earliest I can get my hands on one. 

So I have an iPad Pro 12.9" from a couple years ago. Fine product I'm very happy with. Anyone that can breakdown what I'm used compared to what this new whiz bang toy provides?
It basically steps into a world where it can serve as a defacto desktop/tablet split.  They plan on selling a dock station for it.  

They've also finally hammered out the bezel to basically nothing.  

I've got a couple of ancient minis. I'm not sure why they have let that product die, I guess except to avoid highlighting the cost delta between their giant phone and the mini given they aren't that much of a size delta.

Huge update to the iPad line. Get your money out as well.
Yeah, I plunked down for one. Smaller size one, but 512GB memory. 

Currently on 9.7” iPad Pro, and it changed my life and how I work and travel for work. 256GB. Figuring this is the perfect upgrade, bigger screen and double the memory, I shoold be good. Not cheap but I use it constantly. 

So I have an iPad Pro 12.9" from a couple years ago. Fine product I'm very happy with. Anyone that can breakdown what I'm used compared to what this new whiz bang toy provides?
Better performance and bigger screen are the big ones. FaceID is far superior to TouchID if my IPhone X is any indication.  Also love the new Pencil and how it magnetically attaches to the side and wirelessly charges. Very cool and nice improvement. 

It basically steps into a world where it can serve as a defacto desktop/tablet split.  They plan on selling a dock station for it.  

I've got a couple of ancient minis. I'm not sure why they have let that product die, I guess except to avoid highlighting the cost delta between their giant phone and the mini given they aren't that much of a size delta.
iPad Pro changed my life. Seriously. Instead of carrying a bag to and from work during my one hour + commute, I just carry my iPad Pro with Smart Keyboard in my hands. I keep all my work docs on it electronically. I can do significant editing with the keyboard in Word. I can mark up PDFs and sign agreements with the pencil.   I can do my email. It’s like having all my usual printed out daily reading and documents to mark up mixed in with a laptop, all literally in my hand. 

Also makes business travel a trillion times easier. On long trips (1-2 weeks) I’ll usually still bring my laptop, but otherwise it’s iust iPad. So easy. 

So how does that compare to a Surface Pro? Any idea? Personally I like the Surface Pro better compared to the iPad Pro but I use both for different things.

Unless I come into some money quick, I have to stick with my iPad Mini 4 and buy a new Surface Pro. The new iPads look great and am sure they are cool, but my business does not work well with Apple. If anyone wants to donate a new iPad Pro to me, I’m okay with the 11” one. 

So how does that compare to a Surface Pro? Any idea? Personally I like the Surface Pro better compared to the iPad Pro but I use both for different things.
I have both the surface pro and iPad pro(12.9), I use the surface pro more for work and the iPad more for play.  

New iPad Pro is outrageously good.  Only one complaint — as much as I prefer this magnetic mounting of the Pencil for charging purposes, the damn thing pops off too easily.  And the type of case that I had on my old iPad Pro, which had a slot to hold the Pencil in, won’t fit on this thing given where the keyboard smart connector is.  So, I suppose I’ll have to see if someone comes up with an aftermarket case/keyboard combno at some point that includes a holder for the Pencil.

But otherwise this thing is just awesome.  Pretty sure I don’t need to carry a laptop anymore.  

I have both the surface pro and iPad pro(12.9), I use the surface pro more for work and the iPad more for play.  
I may be in the minority, but I tried a surface pro and hated it.  The iPad Pro absolutely nails it for my work routine.  

New iPad Pro is outrageously good.  Only one complaint — as much as I prefer this magnetic mounting of the Pencil for charging purposes, the damn thing pops off too easily.  And the type of case that I had on my old iPad Pro, which had a slot to hold the Pencil in, won’t fit on this thing given where the keyboard smart connector is.  So, I suppose I’ll have to see if someone comes up with an aftermarket case/keyboard combno at some point that includes a holder for the Pencil.

But otherwise this thing is just awesome.  Pretty sure I don’t need to carry a laptop anymore.  
That is just what I've been hoping for.  I tried to move to an iPad a few years ago but couldn't deal without a proper keyboard.  Whelp, it seems like we are finally here and I am thinking about ditching the MacBook Air for this.

The only issue for me now is that you can't adjust the angle of the screen.  That could make things very difficult for various couch potato positions and gives me pause.  I gotta be able to lounge comfortably.  Does anybody know if the keyboard (accessory) comes undone easily?

That is just what I've been hoping for.  I tried to move to an iPad a few years ago but couldn't deal without a proper keyboard.  Whelp, it seems like we are finally here and I am thinking about ditching the MacBook Air for this.

The only issue for me now is that you can't adjust the angle of the screen.  That could make things very difficult for various couch potato positions and gives me pause.  I gotta be able to lounge comfortably.  Does anybody know if the keyboard (accessory) comes undone easily?
The Smart Keyboard holds pretty firm, and this one is better than the last in that it allows two positions. There are other third party keyboards coming that may be even better for your purposes though.  

Went to Best Buy to look at these things. They didn't have pencils available to draw or anything like that. The 11" actually looks small and feels small but it is probably great while not standing up. The iBooks app on the 12" one was huge though... the 11" "feels" right. The 10.5" iPad Pro feels good too though. However, I just don't have a need for one of these awesome things. My iPad Mini is still awesome and does what I need it to do.

I'm still in the Surface Pro boat though.

I use my iPad Pro 9.7 constantly.  Is there any reason to upgrade?

Its attached to me most of the time and is the most important thing I pack for work travel.  Our PC is a 9 year old MacBook and we just use Ipads for everything. 

Went to the Apple store at the mall yesterday. I'm rocking a Surface 3 and the 11" iPad is just about that size. It felt the same size in my hand, at least. It felt small, oddly. The 12" iPad felt small as well but the screen real estate is a real bonus. It was really difficult to not walk out of the store with one. I think Apple is hurting its sales by not offering a 128GB version and not having the 128GB version be the entry model. 64GB is a joke and people should be pissed about that.

I don't have the money or the need, and I know that, but the thing is awesome. I'm hoping my patience and waiting for the next Surface model will pay off. The writing on the iPad was scary accurate and no lag at all that I saw... although, they may have had the best model on the floor.

I a not crazy about the new Smart Keyboard. Looking forward to some third party hopefully releasing a killer one soon. 

I a not crazy about the new Smart Keyboard. Looking forward to some third party hopefully releasing a killer one soon. 
Oh oh.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  The keyboard is what has kept me from converting in the first place.  So are you saying the ones they have at the store suck?  Why exactly?

Are they lounge-worthy or no?

Oh oh.  That would be a deal breaker for me.  The keyboard is what has kept me from converting in the first place.  So are you saying the ones they have at the store suck?  Why exactly?

Are they lounge-worthy or no?
I think one huge thing missing from the larger iPads, as well as the keyboards, is mouse/trackpad support. There is no way to navigate on the iPad without touching the screen. This is okay on a Mini, but on the larger ones, I can see where this becomes a problem, especially with some professional type apps.

I think one huge thing missing from the larger iPads, as well as the keyboards, is mouse/trackpad support. There is no way to navigate on the iPad without touching the screen. This is okay on a Mini, but on the larger ones, I can see where this becomes a problem, especially with some professional type apps.
I like the Pencil on my Pro more than I do the mouse on my laptop, but YMMV.

Went to the Apple store to check out the new Pros, just to play with. I'd love to buy the 11" Pro, at least. The thing weighs nothing. Lack of mouse support is one reason not to get it. The pencil is necessary, imo, and I don't think the 64GB version is the one I'd be happy with. The 12.9", while screen size is awesome, it's just too... odd. One major reason for not getting it is due to it not working with my professional life. I have the Surface Pro for that so two drawing tablets are unneeded. I wouldn't mind switching back but the iPad is just too incomplete. Plus, the next Surface Pro is supposed to be pretty sweet... so, I'll wait and see about that. But, the real reason for not buying one is Bend Gate.

Users who are viewing this thread