What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (1 Viewer)

Why are you here? We get that you don't like the device. So move on and buy another and go post in the Android tablet thread. No?For something you hate so much you sure are putting in a lot of effort.
I don't see a response to any of the points. Are any of my points wrong. Just because what you posted was flawed does not mean I hate Apple or think that the iPad does not fill a void for a given set of users.1 is a fact. 2. is going to happen with any device so i still don't see why you have a problem with what I said. 3. Is pretty much a fact also.
Nobody cares about your facts. What's the point in coming in here, pointing out what you deem to be flaws, and demanding that we defend the device/respond to your positions? If you think the codec support doesn't suit your needs, and you don't like devices that have glass screens, and you don't think Apple makes a good GUI, buy another device. It's really that easy. If Apple were paying me to be a salesperson maybe I would try to convince you. But as it stands I've got zero incentive to waste my time.
The thread title was "iPad it's here". So you don't think anyone else has rights to post in here. You think with that thread title people might come to see what people are saying? To bad you get angry instead of actually discuss the device.1. How do you find the codec support? 2. Where did I say i hated a device with a glass screen? It's a fact of life and I figured pointing out that would show that the review is pointing out the obvious for any device with a glass screen or a screen for that matter. 3. Yeah I don't prefer the interface but have a touch so am used to it. Sorry to bring actual discussions to the thread. After all comments like "I love this thing". "It's magical", "I read it in bed" are very useful. I would think people on the fence would like to see an actual discussion on the pro/cons of the device.
Who's angry? I'm just posting observations.What are your questions exactly? I haven't had a problem with codec support. Seems fine to me. What's your question about glass? And if you want to know why the GUI is so good, there are a brzillion reviews out there that tee it up or, better yet, hit up an Apple store or best buy. Maybe you'll hate it.

Why are you here? We get that you don't like the device. So move on and buy another and go post in the Android tablet thread. No?For something you hate so much you sure are putting in a lot of effort.
I don't see a response to any of the points. Are any of my points wrong. Just because what you posted was flawed does not mean I hate Apple or think that the iPad does not fill a void for a given set of users.1 is a fact. 2. is going to happen with any device so i still don't see why you have a problem with what I said. 3. Is pretty much a fact also.
Nobody cares about your facts. What's the point in coming in here, pointing out what you deem to be flaws, and demanding that we defend the device/respond to your positions? If you think the codec support doesn't suit your needs, and you don't like devices that have glass screens, and you don't think Apple makes a good GUI, buy another device. It's really that easy. If Apple were paying me to be a salesperson maybe I would try to convince you. But as it stands I've got zero incentive to waste my time.
The thread title was "iPad it's here". So you don't think anyone else has rights to post in here. You think with that thread title people might come to see what people are saying? To bad you get angry instead of actually discuss the device.1. How do you find the codec support? 2. Where did I say i hated a device with a glass screen? It's a fact of life and I figured pointing out that would show that the review is pointing out the obvious for any device with a glass screen or a screen for that matter. 3. Yeah I don't prefer the interface but have a touch so am used to it. Sorry to bring actual discussions to the thread. After all comments like "I love this thing". "It's magical", "I read it in bed" are very useful. I would think people on the fence would like to see an actual discussion on the pro/cons of the device.
YA~~!@~CODEC!~@~!
:shrug:Only guy in here who really gets it. GB you JTG

If Apple were paying me to be a salesperson maybe I would try to convince you. But as it stands I've got zero incentive to waste my time.
:shrug: what was your incentive until now?
I bought one and want to learn about how others are using it, what their thoughts are, what apps I should be downloading, etc. That cool by you, or no?
you tell me. You are the one that has spent a great deal of your time over the years pimping/defending/promoting apple with zero incentive. Ive got no problem with that - as you, like many other fans, are the unofficial spokesperson. Interesting that you cant see that - or that you finally have?

It's bizarre how you've got a handful of guys in here who obviously dislike the device, and continue to come in and post about how bad it is and gripe about it. Serious question -- what do you guys get out of it? Are you being paid by MS or Google or Android or whomever? Or is it just to troll? I just don't see the upside. The thread was posted so we can share tips/questions/reviews and answer legitimate questions people have about the device. I've given up on trying to defend it to people who obviously don't get or nor care to get it. Go buy something else. It really won't offend us. And you'll be happier. Win-win.
To be totally fair - your fishing hard from the outset about how life transformational it would be set the tone for much of that. I'm sure you were just trying to be funny, but clearly you had the intent of stirring up as much as you could. I'm not surprised at all by the anti apple responses given how you started this. :shrug:J
Obviously some of that is tongue-in-cheek, but that still doesn't answer the question of what these guys get out of arguing about it. What's the point?I don't care about the Minnesota Twins. I don't go and find a Minnesota Twins thread and spend my day arguing about how bad they are. What would I get out of that?It just doesn't make much sense to me. And it's just trolling when the complaints are things like "well it has a glass screen and could break" and, when Apple is widely known to be the best user interface designer out there, things like "explain to me why the UI is so good."It's ridiculous.
It's not the people that don't care. It's the people that for some reason don't like the product. Be it they think it's overpriced, or too hip or more to the point, arrogant and smarmy. Then when they see posts shouting how life transformational the thing will be laced with "look at me I'm getting one" stuff, it gets the people that don't like the product agitated enough to respond. Again, based on the way you started it, this thread has been one of the most predictable threads here in forever. J
The product is "arrogant" and "smarmy"? Really? That's why they are upset? Well it's a good thing we have them here to defend consumers from the horrors of the Apple Computer Company.And lol @ "look at me I'm getting one." Are they mad because they can't get one? I don't get this.If you're saying they're here to pick a fight because some of us were excited about the product and are enjoying the product, then I guess it makes sense. Still seems silly to me, and I'm still not sure what they're getting out of it. But I guess that's their call.Re: this thread being predictable, of course it is, particularly given every other thread on the iPad this forum has seen. They all end up the same way. I wasn't expecting different. I'm just trying to understand why these guys care so much. I care because I actually own one. What's their stake?

Who's angry? I'm just posting observations.What are your questions exactly? I haven't had a problem with codec support. Seems fine to me. What's your question about glass? And if you want to know why the GUI is so good, there are a brzillion reviews out there that tee it up or, better yet, hit up an Apple store or best buy. Maybe you'll hate it.
There have been a ton of questions in the thread that were ignored. Not mine. The glass as i said was on observation that any and all products are going to break if you drop them 4-5 times on the floor. My question was why the hate for me saying that. You simply started posted hate becuase of me saying it with out even realizing I was saying "ALL PRODUCTS WILL BREAK IF YOU DROP THEM ON THE FLOOR OVER AND OVER ESPECIALLY ONES WITH GLASS SCREENS".Don't point me to a review. Tell me why you find it useful. I have always found my Touch to be very cluttered and unorganized. I got to were I kept a limited number of apps so I didn't have to hunt one down. I tried keeping a blank page for new apps to fall to between my first and third page. etc. I don't find the interface functional for myself or people that have tons of apps. I'd love to see Stacks like I have on my desktop. So I could drill down into Games or Movies, etc.

Quick Question for the guys in the trenches winning this war for us folks back home.

Was there a Kindle: It's here thread?

Also, does anyone have a link to the youtube video where the kid smashes his ipad on jim nance's head?

If Apple were paying me to be a salesperson maybe I would try to convince you. But as it stands I've got zero incentive to waste my time.
:thumbup: what was your incentive until now?
I bought one and want to learn about how others are using it, what their thoughts are, what apps I should be downloading, etc. That cool by you, or no?
you tell me. You are the one that has spent a great deal of your time over the years pimping/defending/promoting apple with zero incentive. Ive got no problem with that - as you, like many other fans, are the unofficial spokesperson. Interesting that you cant see that - or that you finally have?
Not a spokesperson, I just think they make better products than most. That's what caused me to switch to them and continue buying them. But I guess it can't be about me actually liking their products the most right? Or, worse yet, it can't possibly be about them making good products. No, it must be that I think it's cool or I'm a slave or something.PS... maybe folks in the sticks don't see this much, but every day I ride the subway to work there are at least a dozen people in every subway car listening to an iPod. And every time I am out at a bar and people whip out their cell phones, most of the people around me seem to have iPhones. There's nothing "cool" about it at this point -- it's pretty pedestrian.

So even though Apple has acknowledged this being an issue, twitter feeds are being spammed you contend it's not a big problem?
K, do you have another 5-15 Twitter complaints to add to the tally?
Your ostrich syndrome is strong.
:thumbup: I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not had any connection issues.The issues I have had:smudges on screen - this will be a constant battle to keep it cleansyncing - I have synced it to two different computers - home for music and photo content, and work for contact and calendar info - both times seemed a bit long. It may be that the first time syncing with each machine takes longer, but if that continues - I think that is something I would want changed in an upgrade.I love the look and feel - but this needs a case - not sure how that impacts the experience. E-mail - I have three accounts set-up - I wish there was a better way to organize the mail - I have rules setup in outlook that dump mail into appropriate folders - I think this needs that functionality.

Oh, I see!

So the article is wrong.

Should say something like...

Apple's support forum is being bombarded by 188 user complaints and 20,000 Private Messages

Weak.
I still haven't determined which is more annoying...the fanboys or the detractors. This is a perfect example. When you are having a problem with something and go onto the net to find the answer, do you POST in every single thread you read that might have the answer to your question or at the very least the threads that talk about your problem? Or are you like 99% of the other people in the world that google it, click the link, read the thread, see if it helps and if it does, do what it suggests or if it doesn't, go to the next thread? How can you not see the # of posts in a thread probably isn't a good indication of the number of people that are having the issue? Apple.com was just on CNN and acknowledged they were having some network issues with the device and they were still trying to debug it so they can provide a fix. It's not the end of the world. Apple's not going to go under if you aren't throwing your body on every grenade the detractors throw.

There have been a ton of questions in the thread that were ignored. Not mine. The glass as i said was on observation that any and all products are going to break if you drop them 4-5 times on the floor. My question was why the hate for me saying that. You simply started posted hate becuase of me saying it with out even realizing I was saying "ALL PRODUCTS WILL BREAK IF YOU DROP THEM ON THE FLOOR OVER AND OVER ESPECIALLY ONES WITH GLASS SCREENS".Don't point me to a review. Tell me why you find it useful. I have always found my Touch to be very cluttered and unorganized. I got to were I kept a limited number of apps so I didn't have to hunt one down. I tried keeping a blank page for new apps to fall to between my first and third page. etc. I don't find the interface functional for myself or people that have tons of apps. I'd love to see Stacks like I have on my desktop. So I could drill down into Games or Movies, etc.
Ok so I still don't understand the glass comment. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about it either way. So I'll leavae that for someone else to decrypt.As for the GUI, I think the touchscreen works great, the interface is fantastic, and it's very easy for me to navigate around to the apps I use. I guess I don't use a hundred different apps. I don't need them organized into "stacks" and whatnot. I'd rather have the ones I use most frequently right there so I can touch and go. Works well for me. For the record, I've always admired the interface long before I got the iPad. I never owned a touch nor an iPhone, but I've lusted after others' iPhones. It just seems like a really well thought out and well designed interface to me. And it seems to work really well. Based on a few days with the iPad, I'm really enjoying the interface. Haven't thought of anything I'd change yet, but maybe I will later.

Ok so I still don't understand the glass comment. I'm pretty sure I didn't say anything about it either way. So I'll leavae that for someone else to decrypt.As for the GUI, I think the touchscreen works great, the interface is fantastic, and it's very easy for me to navigate around to the apps I use. I guess I don't use a hundred different apps. I don't need them organized into "stacks" and whatnot. I'd rather have the ones I use most frequently right there so I can touch and go. Works well for me. For the record, I've always admired the interface long before I got the iPad. I never owned a touch nor an iPhone, but I've lusted after others' iPhones. It just seems like a really well thought out and well designed interface to me. And it seems to work really well. Based on a few days with the iPad, I'm really enjoying the interface. Haven't thought of anything I'd change yet, but maybe I will later.
I'm not certain where the "glass" angle started but I know what he's saying. Have aggregate driveways and walkways. Dropped the droid. Of course it landed face down on the rocks. Sad day indeed. And if he's not tosberg I'm sure he's a little confused over the vitriol

Chunky Soup said:
The Commish said:
I still haven't determined which is more annoying...the fanboys or the detractors. This is a perfect example.
This is funny because you are one of the detractors.
I am? Maybe we have different definitions? I have nothing against Apple....I don't use them, but I don't use MS either. Does that mean I am a MS detractor too? Why am I a detractor? The only real discussions I've had with anyone were around the iPhone issues my wife had and a discussion around "innovation" with Otis.

Redding said:
Joe Bryant said:
Redding said:
Joe Bryant said:
Redding said:
It's bizarre how you've got a handful of guys in here who obviously dislike the device, and continue to come in and post about how bad it is and gripe about it. Serious question -- what do you guys get out of it? Are you being paid by MS or Google or Android or whomever? Or is it just to troll? I just don't see the upside. The thread was posted so we can share tips/questions/reviews and answer legitimate questions people have about the device. I've given up on trying to defend it to people who obviously don't get or nor care to get it. Go buy something else. It really won't offend us. And you'll be happier. Win-win.
To be totally fair - your fishing hard from the outset about how life transformational it would be set the tone for much of that. I'm sure you were just trying to be funny, but clearly you had the intent of stirring up as much as you could. I'm not surprised at all by the anti apple responses given how you started this. :goodposting:J
Obviously some of that is tongue-in-cheek, but that still doesn't answer the question of what these guys get out of arguing about it. What's the point?I don't care about the Minnesota Twins. I don't go and find a Minnesota Twins thread and spend my day arguing about how bad they are. What would I get out of that?It just doesn't make much sense to me. And it's just trolling when the complaints are things like "well it has a glass screen and could break" and, when Apple is widely known to be the best user interface designer out there, things like "explain to me why the UI is so good."It's ridiculous.
It's not the people that don't care. It's the people that for some reason don't like the product. Be it they think it's overpriced, or too hip or more to the point, arrogant and smarmy. Then when they see posts shouting how life transformational the thing will be laced with "look at me I'm getting one" stuff, it gets the people that don't like the product agitated enough to respond. Again, based on the way you started it, this thread has been one of the most predictable threads here in forever. J
The product is "arrogant" and "smarmy"? Really? That's why they are upset? Well it's a good thing we have them here to defend consumers from the horrors of the Apple Computer Company.And lol @ "look at me I'm getting one." Are they mad because they can't get one? I don't get this.If you're saying they're here to pick a fight because some of us were excited about the product and are enjoying the product, then I guess it makes sense. Still seems silly to me, and I'm still not sure what they're getting out of it. But I guess that's their call.Re: this thread being predictable, of course it is, particularly given every other thread on the iPad this forum has seen. They all end up the same way. I wasn't expecting different. I'm just trying to understand why these guys care so much. I care because I actually own one. What's their stake?
GB, I'm saying you picked the fight. :PJ

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who likes to think of himself as Apple neutral (if we exist), here's the best ipad review I've read so far http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technolo...ch/01pogue.html

I bought 2 ipads this week, for my parents and my inlaws. I think they're pretty cool, but I can't justify buying one for myself. I have an ipod touch and an 11" CULV laptop (a netbook that's not gimped). An ipad would be great for me for browsing, watching streamed video from my desktop or home server, stuff like that. I can kick back in bed or on the pooper.

My parents and inlaws on the other hand adore the ipad. For them, it did change their lives. I bought them $500 laptops last year and they basically use it for emails, web browsing, and watching YouTube clips of their grandchildren. They're scared to do anything else with it. I've tried to teach them but they're almost in their 70s now and set in their ways.

This is where I do believe the hype. Ipads (and iphones/ipod touches to an extent, but their screens are too small for old eyes) let non techie old folks (and small kids) explore and experiment with stuff they wouldn't or couldn't before. Just a couple swipes and taps and they're experts now.

For people who are a bit tech savvy, I don't think it's for us, outside of a convenience device.

I think not being Flash capable is a big deal. Yeah, Flash sucks from a technical standpoint but it's so widespread that I don't believe you can call any internet device an internet device if it's not Flash capable. I'm not just talking about YouTube (which has an app) or Hulu (which doesn't, yet) but sites that use Flash for stuff other than video. I have small kids that go to sites like pbs.org, disney kids sites, etc. They have Flash games, coloring/activity sites, stuff like that we can't use an ipad for. Maybe there will be apps for all this stuff down the road, but that's another problem. I didn't mind paying 99 cents for iphone games knowing that there was a free Flash equivalent on the web somewhere. With ipad apps costing $5 or more now, I do mind. #### adds up.

Apps for sites on iphones were a great idea, and they're needed due to the small screen. Apps for websites on ipads not so much. I understand optimizing sites to take advantage of touch capability, but we're eventually gonna have to replace bookmarks with apps which seems counter intuitive.

With all that said, I'm definitely buying one for myself when (not if) it hits $300 in about 3 months. I really want to watch videos on the pooper.

As someone who likes to think of himself as Apple neutral (if we exist), here's the best ipad review I've read so far http://www.nytimes.com/2010/04/01/technolo...ch/01pogue.html

I bought 2 ipads this week, for my parents and my inlaws. I think they're pretty cool, but I can't justify buying one for myself. I have an ipod touch and an 11" CULV laptop (a netbook that's not gimped). An ipad would be great for me for browsing, watching streamed video from my desktop or home server, stuff like that. I can kick back in bed or on the pooper.

My parents and inlaws on the other hand adore the ipad. For them, it did change their lives. I bought them $500 laptops last year and they basically use it for emails, web browsing, and watching YouTube clips of their grandchildren. They're scared to do anything else with it. I've tried to teach them but they're almost in their 70s now and set in their ways.

This is where I do believe the hype. Ipads (and iphones/ipod touches to an extent, but their screens are too small for old eyes) let non techie old folks (and small kids) explore and experiment with stuff they wouldn't or couldn't before. Just a couple swipes and taps and they're experts now.

For people who are a bit tech savvy, I don't think it's for us, outside of a convenience device.

I think not being Flash capable is a big deal. Yeah, Flash sucks from a technical standpoint but it's so widespread that I don't believe you can call any internet device an internet device if it's not Flash capable. I'm not just talking about YouTube (which has an app) or Hulu (which doesn't, yet) but sites that use Flash for stuff other than video. I have small kids that go to sites like pbs.org, disney kids sites, etc. They have Flash games, coloring/activity sites, stuff like that we can't use an ipad for. Maybe there will be apps for all this stuff down the road, but that's another problem. I didn't mind paying 99 cents for iphone games knowing that there was a free Flash equivalent on the web somewhere. With ipad apps costing $5 or more now, I do mind. #### adds up.

Apps for sites on iphones were a great idea, and they're needed due to the small screen. Apps for websites on ipads not so much. I understand optimizing sites to take advantage of touch capability, but we're eventually gonna have to replace bookmarks with apps which seems counter intuitive.

With all that said, I'm definitely buying one for myself when (not if) it hits $300 in about 3 months. I really want to watch videos on the pooper.
I can totally see this angle for the older folks.J

lol.

Jason Bourne said:
E-mail - I have three accounts set-up - I wish there was a better way to organize the mail - I have rules setup in outlook that dump mail into appropriate folders - I think this needs that functionality.
Thanks Jason. I meant to ask about this.How does email work?I use gmail for everything. Are people just using gmail through the browser as you would on the desktop?J

lol.
Laughingly agree or disagree?J

lol.
They have no bandwidth at all to drop the non 3G model by 40% in 3 months. The first break you'll see will be the 3G roughly = the non 3G, but that will be paid by the providers.Look at how the prices have stayed mostly flat on the ITouch, and now they are charging touch users for F/W upgrades.

Jason Bourne said:
E-mail - I have three accounts set-up - I wish there was a better way to organize the mail - I have rules setup in outlook that dump mail into appropriate folders - I think this needs that functionality.
Thanks Jason. I meant to ask about this.How does email work?I use gmail for everything. Are people just using gmail through the browser as you would on the desktop?J
I have it set up in the embedded email app - same as the iPhone. It is simple to setup gmail (and any typical email server)Now that i look at it a little closer, I don't use folder in gmail, but I have one setup. That folder does show up in the email app. So if I knew how to use the label function in gmail this might work. None of the outlook folders were set up in the mail app.

GB, I'm saying you picked the fight. :)J
I don't see this at all. How did I pick a fight? By expressing enthusiasm for a new product? It's not like I went out and said "this device is way better then what you guys are using, and you're all morons." And I certainly didn't go trolling in an android thread (is there even one?) or some microsoft thread looking for someone to argue with.So yeah, I have to disagree here.

GB, I'm saying you picked the fight. :goodposting:J
I don't see this at all. How did I pick a fight? By expressing enthusiasm for a new product? It's not like I went out and said "this device is way better then what you guys are using, and you're all morons." And I certainly didn't go trolling in an android thread (is there even one?) or some microsoft thread looking for someone to argue with.So yeah, I have to disagree here.
next time, don't tag the Topic with one of those heart things. You did, and then you were just asking for it.

GB, I'm saying you picked the fight. :lmao:J
next time, don't tag the Topic with one of those heart things. You did, and then you were just asking for it.
Can we get a heart emoticon for that? :pickfight:PS, if anyone is interested, the guys in the android thread on page 3 are pretty stoked about the new pinch-zoom app they have available. Can't imagine where they got that idea from, but it sounds pretty cool. :goodposting:

Johnny Knoxville does the First iPad Car Installation http://mashable.com/2010/04/05/ipad-car-install/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Mashable+(Mashable)'>

too bad its the Wi-Fi iPad and not the 3G. so when you're driving around, it's going to be useless for Pandora or maps. and It would be nice it you could take it out of the car

Redding said:
The ignore function is your friend.
Chunky Soup said:
The Commish said:
I still haven't determined which is more annoying...the fanboys or the detractors. This is a perfect example.
Comedy. Guess he thinks he's fooling people.

lol.
They have no bandwidth at all to drop the non 3G model by 40% in 3 months. The first break you'll see will be the 3G roughly = the non 3G, but that will be paid by the providers.Look at how the prices have stayed mostly flat on the ITouch, and now they are charging touch users for F/W upgrades.
Apple has already stated they're willing to drop pricing pretty quickly based on initial sales http://www.cultofmac.com/report-apple-flex...d-pricing/29488I don't think we'll ever see a large subsidy on the 3G models considering there is no contract that a provider can lock you into for 2 years.

Depending on which reports you believe, Apple sold around 300,000 units on opening day and around 700,000 units over the weekend, which are actually really good numbers. About 75% or so however were from preorders, which means the people that really wanted them, got them. Again, these are all estimates. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362240,00.asp

I went to the mall last night and my Apple store still had a ton of them in stock from opening day. They're getting new shipments in today also. Note to self: Stop going to Apple store, must stay strong.

Pricing has indeed been flat on the ipod touch, but keep in mind they've doubled in capacity and features each year also. I think we'll never see an increase or decrease on the current Touch prices ($200/$300/$400) as they're perfectly fine as is.

I think prices will hold steady for a while - depending on demand.

Apple will have a trickle marketing effect - product roll out last week, introducing new OS this week (which is rumored to include multi-tasking), 3g launch in a few weeks, by then developers will have had more time to work on newly designed apps - all of which creates mini-spikes in demand.

Would not be surprised to see a 2nd version ready for launch at thanksgiving with a camera installed (I don't think it needs one, but I think enough people want one that it is inevitable).

Otis hasn't been on the board since the day before iPad got released.

Hopefully he didn't die of excitement opening the thing.

Redding said:
The ignore function is your friend.
Chunky Soup said:
The Commish said:
Comedy. Guess he thinks he's fooling people.
I assume you are talking about me since CS appears to be a fanboy, so I will offer you $100 for every instance you can find in this thread where I said I disliked the device and talk about how bad I think it is....on the flip side, I would require you to pay me $100 for any praise I give it. Deal?

Jason Bourne said:
Card Trader said:
One said:
Card Trader said:
So even though Apple has acknowledged this being an issue, twitter feeds are being spammed you contend it's not a big problem?
:rolleyes: I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not had any connection issues.The issues I have had:smudges on screen - this will be a constant battle to keep it cleansyncing - I have synced it to two different computers - home for music and photo content, and work for contact and calendar info - both times seemed a bit long. It may be that the first time syncing with each machine takes longer, but if that continues - I think that is something I would want changed in an upgrade.I love the look and feel - but this needs a case - not sure how that impacts the experience. E-mail - I have three accounts set-up - I wish there was a better way to organize the mail - I have rules setup in outlook that dump mail into appropriate folders - I think this needs that functionality.
1. What do you think of the weight of the device?2. Does have almost an inch at the top and bottom watching widescreen movies bother you?3. How is the reader outside?4. I have trouble typing at a high speed on the keyboard but it seems to be more accurate if I keep a steadier slow pace? How bout you?

Redding said:
LokiKx said:
Yeah, when I first got my touch it was great. Once I started getting a ton of apps is when it showed it's weaknesses.

Redding said:
Joe Bryant said:
Redding said:
To be totally fair - your fishing hard from the outset about how life transformational it would be set the tone for much of that. I'm sure you were just trying to be funny, but clearly you had the intent of stirring up as much as you could. I'm not surprised at all by the anti apple responses given how you started this. :rolleyes:

J
Obviously some of that is tongue-in-cheek, but that still doesn't answer the question of what these guys get out of arguing about it. What's the point?I don't care about the Minnesota Twins. I don't go and find a Minnesota Twins thread and spend my day arguing about how bad they are. What would I get out of that?

It just doesn't make much sense to me. And it's just trolling when the complaints are things like "well it has a glass screen and could break" and, when Apple is widely known to be the best user interface designer out there, things like "explain to me why the UI is so good."
Wow, what a hypocrite. You basically just spent two weeks continually dropping in on the March Madness threads to do the exact same thing you're crying about in here. You were a nightmare in there and you know it...constantly mocking everybody and everything about it. Solely because of their popularity were you there, enjoying every next piss you could take. Let's see, how can I get even more attention?Pathetic.

It's ridiculous.
Yeah, it is.

I agree with the pooper comment. This device is awesome for library reading.
1. How to I connect it to the local library? I knew the Sony Reader and others did this. I was under the impression you had to use the Itunes store or side load books through iTunes.

To quickly sum up my iPad thoughts

- It's perfect for me when at home. 95%+ of the time i'm on a computer at home i'm using a computer for relaxation/entertainment. For the other 5% of the time i will use my desktop.

- It is the nicest and most enjoyable device i've ever used for general surfing/email/videos/books/etc.

For those who haven't used it and have a bunch of questions, just go use one. If you don't like it and it doesn't fill your needs then don't buy it.

I have zero doubt about how huge this is going to be. Everyone i showed it to from kids aged 6 through adults aged 70 has loved the experience and wants one themselves.

Wow, what a hypocrite. You basically just spent two weeks continually dropping in on the March Madness threads to do the exact same thing you're crying about in here. You were a nightmare in there and you know it...constantly mocking everybody and everything about it. Solely because of their popularity were you there, enjoying every next piss you could take. Let's see, how can I get even more attention?

Pathetic.
I love March Madness. I think I posted there 3 times, to mess with my GB Cappy. I'm sorry I offended you, chief.Whatever you do, be sure to stay angry.

lol.
Apple has already stated they're willing to drop pricing pretty quickly based on initial sales http://www.cultofmac.com/report-apple-flex...d-pricing/29488I don't think we'll ever see a large subsidy on the 3G models considering there is no contract that a provider can lock you into for 2 years.

Depending on which reports you believe, Apple sold around 300,000 units on opening day and around 700,000 units over the weekend, which are actually really good numbers. About 75% or so however were from preorders, which means the people that really wanted them, got them. Again, these are all estimates. http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2362240,00.asp

I went to the mall last night and my Apple store still had a ton of them in stock from opening day. They're getting new shipments in today also. Note to self: Stop going to Apple store, must stay strong.

Pricing has indeed been flat on the ipod touch, but keep in mind they've doubled in capacity and features each year also. I think we'll never see an increase or decrease on the current Touch prices ($200/$300/$400) as they're perfectly fine as is.
Apple stated they sold 300,000 for all methods of purchase.

Jason Bourne said:
Card Trader said:
One said:
Card Trader said:
:thumbup: I can't speak for anyone else, but I have not had any connection issues.The issues I have had:smudges on screen - this will be a constant battle to keep it cleansyncing - I have synced it to two different computers - home for music and photo content, and work for contact and calendar info - both times seemed a bit long. It may be that the first time syncing with each machine takes longer, but if that continues - I think that is something I would want changed in an upgrade.I love the look and feel - but this needs a case - not sure how that impacts the experience. E-mail - I have three accounts set-up - I wish there was a better way to organize the mail - I have rules setup in outlook that dump mail into appropriate folders - I think this needs that functionality.
1. What do you think of the weight of the device?2. Does have almost an inch at the top and bottom watching widescreen movies bother you?3. How is the reader outside?4. I have trouble typing at a high speed on the keyboard but it seems to be more accurate if I keep a steadier slow pace? How bout you?
Weight is fine - again I think this is a portable device - not a mobile device. By that I mean, I can easily take it with me wherever I go, but I am not using it while I am on the go - like I would a smartphone.movies - I had not noticed it when I watched - so I just watched a streaming movie to see what I though if I was thinking about it - still no response - the size of the video is still very sufficient, and with the black border on the ipad the "border" blends into the background and you focus on the movie and not the bars.Reader - I have not used it in the direct sunlight - I have heard it is hard to read. I would not plan on taking it to the beach or pool I guess.Typing - I may be in the minority here - but I have no trouble with the typing. I have been using the iphone for a while, so I anticipate many of the auto corrections that it makes, so I really do not slow down when typing - just plow through, and review when I am done. I can type as fast on this as I can on a key board - I am somewhere between a hunt and peck and professional typist (closer to hunt and peck, but using all fingers). If I had to work on a several page paper, I might find a keyboard easier - but for posting here, or responding to e-mails - the keyboard is not an issue for me.

To quickly sum up my iPad thoughts- It's perfect for me when at home. 95%+ of the time i'm on a computer at home i'm using a computer for relaxation/entertainment. For the other 5% of the time i will use my desktop.- It is the nicest and most enjoyable device i've ever used for general surfing/email/videos/books/etc.For those who haven't used it and have a bunch of questions, just go use one. If you don't like it and it doesn't fill your needs then don't buy it.I have zero doubt about how huge this is going to be. Everyone i showed it to from kids aged 6 through adults aged 70 has loved the experience and wants one themselves.
This is an example of great posting.

Wow, what a hypocrite. You basically just spent two weeks continually dropping in on the March Madness threads to do the exact same thing you're crying about in here. You were a nightmare in there and you know it...constantly mocking everybody and everything about it. Solely because of their popularity were you there, enjoying every next piss you could take. Let's see, how can I get even more attention?

Pathetic.
I love March Madness. I think I posted there 3 times, to mess with my GB Cappy. I'm sorry I offended you, chief.Whatever you do, be sure to stay angry.
:homer: Not even close. And Capella hated it, asking you to leave. I actually never said a word about any of it, it's typical and it's not going to change. But, having just seen this you're crying game to Joe Brant, it was worth mentioning.Anyway, go get some attention buddy, it's out there!!

weight - Would you feel comfortable holding it to read a book for a good while? I have not got to have a hands on long session with one yet.

typing - I type really well and have had an issue when trying to move fast on the keyboard. With out the feel of the keys I seem to get slightly off at speed (flat). My finger seems to ever so slightly go left or right the faster I go. When I pace my self it's not an issue.

To quickly sum up my iPad thoughts- It's perfect for me when at home. 95%+ of the time i'm on a computer at home i'm using a computer for relaxation/entertainment. For the other 5% of the time i will use my desktop.- It is the nicest and most enjoyable device i've ever used for general surfing/email/videos/books/etc.For those who haven't used it and have a bunch of questions, just go use one. If you don't like it and it doesn't fill your needs then don't buy it.I have zero doubt about how huge this is going to be. Everyone i showed it to from kids aged 6 through adults aged 70 has loved the experience and wants one themselves.
This is an example of great posting.
Really, don't see much here except go use one I can't explain anything about it.1. Videos - Do you find the one inch or so of borders to be an issue when watching video widescreen?2. Typing - How is typing?3. Why is it the most enjoyable?4. I've used one and still would like to hear solid answers to how people feel about it.*Reading - Figured out that a two finger swipe goes to the next chapter.

Users who are viewing this thread