What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

iPad (2 Viewers)

Went to the Apple store to check out the new Pros, just to play with. I'd love to buy the 11" Pro, at least. The thing weighs nothing. Lack of mouse support is one reason not to get it. The pencil is necessary, imo, and I don't think the 64GB version is the one I'd be happy with. The 12.9", while screen size is awesome, it's just too... odd. One major reason for not getting it is due to it not working with my professional life. I have the Surface Pro for that so two drawing tablets are unneeded. I wouldn't mind switching back but the iPad is just too incomplete. Plus, the next Surface Pro is supposed to be pretty sweet... so, I'll wait and see about that. But, the real reason for not buying one is Bend Gate.
I have the new 11" Pro and love it.  :shrug:  

Only gripe has been the keyboard is just so-so and doesn't allow for a place to store the pencil when in transit.  I'll probably look at some of the aftermarket keyboards soon.

Went to the Apple store to check out the new Pros, just to play with. I'd love to buy the 11" Pro, at least. The thing weighs nothing. Lack of mouse support is one reason not to get it. The pencil is necessary, imo, and I don't think the 64GB version is the one I'd be happy with. The 12.9", while screen size is awesome, it's just too... odd. One major reason for not getting it is due to it not working with my professional life. I have the Surface Pro for that so two drawing tablets are unneeded. I wouldn't mind switching back but the iPad is just too incomplete. Plus, the next Surface Pro is supposed to be pretty sweet... so, I'll wait and see about that. But, the real reason for not buying one is Bend Gate.
I wish they would fix the screen aspect ratio of the 12.9" because the new ipad is an impressive device. That's why it seems "odd" imo. After arguing for years that there was nothing wrong with the aspect ratio of the iphone most apple users I talk to would never want to go back. It has to happen, just like changing to standard USB-C was eventually a no-brainer of a change. 

In terms of "Bend Gate" I slightly disagree but at least in part because I'm a cheapskate and if I were purchasing a tablet that costs up $1900 it would always be in a case for protection so I wouldn't even notice a slight bend. It's not something you are going to sit on in your back pocket all day or anything. One of the reasons I like the fact that it's so thin/light is because with a case it's so manageable. If someone was shelling out full price for one of these things I can completely understand if they weren't happy with ANY cosmetic imperfection, though. 

The bigger barrier than the bends is the OS functionality when compared to the ultra-light laptop market(a comparison apple itself is quick to make to justify the price tag). It just seems like the hardware is top notch with the new ipads but at the end of the day they are still trying to run a 5.x" phone operating system on the device. They might be better served having a lighter version of the desktop OS running on the 12.9" ipad than using a phone OS. If it's a laptop killer you really need to utilize file management(especially through external storage) much more smoothly than you can with the phone OS. One of the best applications of the 12.9" would be long flights because of the battery life.... when you're offline.... and you can't just push and pull files off the cloud or stream everything. That's probably the biggest reason I'd be interested in one of these devices to replace my Chromebook because I don't have cell/wifi 100% of the time.

I like the Surface Pro specs but it still doesn't have the battery life to compete(despite the manufacturer claims) if they are charging that much money. Lenovo is also making some devices that blur the line between tablet/ultralight laptop and they have had the best keyboards for the longest time. At the moment the device I'm looking for doesn't quite exist so if I was going to replace my current travel Chromebook it would probably be the Chuwi SurBook Pro that is supposed to launch soon for ~$400. But if something ticked all the boxes I'd probably be willing to spend twice as much. The size/weight/screen/battery life of the latest 12.9" ipad that had a case/keyboard that rivaled a Lenovo and a laptop killer OS that never felt hobbled in some way. Until then, I can just wait with Chromebook/SurBook Pro compromises that are a fraction of the price of either the ipad or the Surface.

I like the Surface Pro specs but it still doesn't have the battery life to compete(despite the manufacturer claims) if they are charging that much money. Lenovo is also making some devices that blur the line between tablet/ultralight laptop and they have had the best keyboards for the longest time. At the moment the device I'm looking for doesn't quite exist so if I was going to replace my current travel Chromebook it would probably be the Chuwi SurBook Pro that is supposed to launch soon for ~$400. But if something ticked all the boxes I'd probably be willing to spend twice as much. The size/weight/screen/battery life of the latest 12.9" ipad that had a case/keyboard that rivaled a Lenovo and a laptop killer OS that never felt hobbled in some way. Until then, I can just wait with Chromebook/SurBook Pro compromises that are a fraction of the price of either the ipad or the Surface.
I'd grow to like it but I don't like the bigger Surface Pro. I'm hoping Microsoft will follow Apple and update their 10.8" Surface 3 into an 11" smaller Surface Pro. The Surface Go is too small and holding the 11" iPad Pro, it's a perfect size to carry around and such. I was also hoping Apple would update their iPad Mini to resemble the new iPad Pros, but probably not.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is kind of random, but did everyone know if you hold your finger down on the space bar you can move the cursor on the typing screen?  I just recently found that out, I thought I had to place my finger in between letters and words. 

Mind blown. 

I have the new 11" Pro and love it.  :shrug:  

Only gripe has been the keyboard is just so-so and doesn't allow for a place to store the pencil when in transit.  I'll probably look at some of the aftermarket keyboards soon.
Hey Otis, I was curious if one of the new cases that you have tried was the Logitech Slim Folio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubrin2F4Kuw

I've been intrigued by the new 12.9" ipad as a portable laptop replacement for some time, but that cover/keyboard might just do the trick for me both in terms of protection and function(I HAVE TO have a backlit keyboard, not that I need it all the time but it's just way too frustrating when you don't have it and really need it). 

One of the reasons I still haven't bought the latest 12.9" is because at launch they were still using a phone OS akwardly stretched onto a nearly 13" screen but I'm kind of shocked this thread didn't get bumped at the launch of "iPadOS". This OS upgrade is a complete game changer for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQXW3ISGes

.... in that this makes the ipad an honest laptop replacement device. At home sitting back on the couch a tablet is just fine, but if I'm going to sit at a desk and really use the device instead of a laptop I really need to be able to use a mouse, and I need to be able to swap data easily and seamlessly using the USB-C port. Now you can actually do that! To me these were complete deal breakers that have finally been fixed.

So with these new developments I'm hot and heavy to get an ipad...... BUT(there's always a but with apple) I am a little alarmed that there have been a lot of reports of the device(s) bending EVEN WHEN KEPT INSIDE A CASE. This makes me wonder if it's a heat issue making the more prone to bending. I remember that thin phones were getting bent(but some people are just savages with their phones and sit on them all day) but these tablet bends have me more concerned.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmV-HMwDueg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bB918xuEs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQVWp7wKmg

Have you personally had any issues with the latest version of the ipad bending? When it came to the phones there was a huge furor when the newer/thinner phones hit and "bendgate" was a thing but in the following years they were just as thin but bending has become less of an issue. I assume they may have slightly adjusted the physical materials on the device. Maybe there will be a similar situation with the tablets. At least I'm hoping because I'm on the precipice of ditching my travel laptop and going full ipad when I travel.

Hey Otis, I was curious if one of the new cases that you have tried was the Logitech Slim Folio?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubrin2F4Kuw

I've been intrigued by the new 12.9" ipad as a portable laptop replacement for some time, but that cover/keyboard might just do the trick for me both in terms of protection and function(I HAVE TO have a backlit keyboard, not that I need it all the time but it's just way too frustrating when you don't have it and really need it). 

One of the reasons I still haven't bought the latest 12.9" is because at launch they were still using a phone OS akwardly stretched onto a nearly 13" screen but I'm kind of shocked this thread didn't get bumped at the launch of "iPadOS". This OS upgrade is a complete game changer for me....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqQXW3ISGes

.... in that this makes the ipad an honest laptop replacement device. At home sitting back on the couch a tablet is just fine, but if I'm going to sit at a desk and really use the device instead of a laptop I really need to be able to use a mouse, and I need to be able to swap data easily and seamlessly using the USB-C port. Now you can actually do that! To me these were complete deal breakers that have finally been fixed.

So with these new developments I'm hot and heavy to get an ipad...... BUT(there's always a but with apple) I am a little alarmed that there have been a lot of reports of the device(s) bending EVEN WHEN KEPT INSIDE A CASE. This makes me wonder if it's a heat issue making the more prone to bending. I remember that thin phones were getting bent(but some people are just savages with their phones and sit on them all day) but these tablet bends have me more concerned.......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QmV-HMwDueg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bB918xuEs0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AwQVWp7wKmg

Have you personally had any issues with the latest version of the ipad bending? When it came to the phones there was a huge furor when the newer/thinner phones hit and "bendgate" was a thing but in the following years they were just as thin but bending has become less of an issue. I assume they may have slightly adjusted the physical materials on the device. Maybe there will be a similar situation with the tablets. At least I'm hoping because I'm on the precipice of ditching my travel laptop and going full ipad when I travel.
I actually haven't kept up on the iPadOS thing, I don't know how I missed it. I assume it's not out yet, but it'll be a software update some time later this year?  

My iPad is already a replacement for 90% of my computing needs.  Still use a regular laptop for extended typing and editing sessions, but otherwise the iPad Pro is amazing.  

I have never had any issues with bending as far as I know.  Mine is straight and fine.  I've dropped it a couple times pretty badly and so one corner has a bunch of dents in it, but still keeps on chugging.

Re: cases, yes I've used the Logitech one, and it was just "OK" for me.  I recently got the Brydge keyboard, and it's nice.  Makes the whole thing feel like a real laptop.  Couple complaints, it's heavy, and you have to press the keys hard otherwise you miss a keystroke here or there.  So it's not perfect but it's good.

I have no doubt in a few years companies are just going to be rolling iPads out to their employees in place of "real computers."  Matter of time.

Re: cases, yes I've used the Logitech one, and it was just "OK" for me.  I recently got the Brydge keyboard, and it's nice.  Makes the whole thing feel like a real laptop.  Couple complaints, it's heavy, and you have to press the keys hard otherwise you miss a keystroke here or there.  So it's not perfect but it's good.
Thanks for the review of the Brydge. I had seen some reviews and once I heard about the keystroke issue I knew that would be one of those things that drove me nuts over time. I do very much like the fact that it's backlit though. It also doesn't seem to have as much protection as the Logitech and for such an expensive device that would be a fairly big consideration taking it outside the home. I do like the look of the Brydge and absolutely love the advertised battery life.

Thanks for the feedback and I'm glad to hear you are still happy with your purchase.

My gf wants one of these things for creative work, like drawing with a pen etc. I don’t generally do Apple stuff.  

Where’s the best place to order from, what are the coolest accessories?  Definitely am not interested in units with a cellular plan.  I’m thinking something in the neighborhood of $4-500 for the device itself, maybe $6-700 after decking it out with all the accessories and peripherals.  Money’s not a huge issue, I just want something very good relative to their price range if that makes sense.  

I’ll probably be headed down to Apple store to look at these things tomorrow (today) but any advice would be appreciated.  

Users who are viewing this thread