What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is a Denver vs Seattle Super Bowl inevitable? (1 Viewer)

Donnybrook

Footballguy
I know it only week 3 but it just looks to me like it will be difficult to avoid. League's best offense vs the league's best defense should be interesting even if it is somewhat predictable. Most people are thinking it even if they aren't already saying it.

Broncos fan here. Given health, still can't put DEN in the SB. Peyton has to overcome is postseason ghosts, esp in cold weather.

If I've learned anything from Peyton's career, it's that early season success is a guarantee to be carried over into the playoffs.

In today's NFL, where the last 3 super bowl champions were 10-6 or worse teams who all looked mediocre at points in the season, absolutely not. I don't want to say the playoffs are an absolute crapshoot but they there have been a ton of dominant regular season teams lately that didn't do anything in the playoffs. Last year's 13-3 Broncos? The 15-1 Packers? The 14-2 Patriots?

Basically they look like far and away the best teams in the NFL...right now, but pretty much anything can happen in the playoffs.

That would be one of the most poorly played Super Bowls ever...cold-weather Peyton vs Seahawks on the east coast

This season is going to go down in the history books in the NFL. We are seeing the NFL's best defense ever and the NFL's best offense ever. Both in the same year.

At first I had my doubts about the NFL playing the Super Bowl in New York in early February. Was really worried about the weather. But earl October weather in New York is just about ideal for football. So why not skip the rest of the regular season and play the Super Bowl after the 3rd week this year? Ingenious!

I have yet to jump on Seattle's SB bandwagon it's way to early. Next two weeks are going to say a lot about what kind of team Seattle really is. Like all NFL teams a major injury to a star player and your team is toast.(I am looking at you Denver.)

Now if Seattle did have to face Den in the SB, cold weather game in February would be perfect.

Seattle will be there for sure. Im betting Manning does his typical choke job.
I am in this camp assuming Seattle stays healthy and gets homefield. If the Saints get homefield I would take them.

As for Denver I just can't get past Manning's playoff history, yes he is playing lights out right now but no one wins a Super Bowl in September. If and this is a big IF the Patriots are healthy in the playoffs I wouldn't bet against them.

I find that teams are never as good or as bad as the current conventional wisdom. Don't buy into group-think.

I am a little surprised at the Saints love. I am not even sure they are the best team in their division.
How are they any different then Seattle? Dominant at home and on one side of the ball, good on the other side and they already beat the main competition in their division once, and that team in each division is 1 - 2.

seahawk 17 said:
I have yet to jump on Seattle's SB bandwagon it's way to early. Next two weeks are going to say a lot about what kind of team Seattle really is. Like all NFL teams a major injury to a star player and your team is toast.(I am looking at you Denver.)

Now if Seattle did have to face Den in the SB, cold weather game in February would be perfect.
Holy.... reasonable. Batman.

seahawk 17 said:

Most hawk fans are scared to pick their own team. You would be shocked at the number of "trap game" conversations happened last week before the Jax game.

msudaisy26 said:
Donnybrook said:
I am a little surprised at the Saints love. I am not even sure they are the best team in their division.
How are they any different then Seattle? Dominant at home and on one side of the ball, good on the other side and they already beat the main competition in their division once, and that team in each division is 1 - 2.
I guess we have a different definition on what 'dominant' is?

Lets see how these guys play when the weather starts to take a ####.. Manning wont be able to toss the rock with ease... You need to able to run the ball.... Denver's Running game is suspect

The Cardinals and Texans were both 3-0 this time last year too..as were the Bills and Lions the year before that.

Is it too early to say that they're playoff teams minus something huge happening? No.

Is it too early to say that they're a :lock: for the SB? Very yes, especially with the recent history of a team that plays on Wild Card weekend making it.

I think they are both the teams to beat in their respective conferences.

But in a one and done format like the NFL playoffs, anything is possible

seahawk 17 said:

Most hawk fans are scared to pick their own team. You would be shocked at the number of "trap game" conversations happened last week before the Jax game.
That just comes from the whole "martyr complex" Seattle fans suffer from. The worst a letdown would have gotten them is within ten points.

When was the last time the two best teams / teams with the best record met in the Super Bowl? No one cares how you play in September. It's how you play in Dec / Jan / Feb that counts.

For that matter, how often does the best team in a conference even reach the SB anymore?

Donnybrook said:
I know it only week 3 but it just looks to me like it will be difficult to avoid. League's best offense vs the league's best defense should be interesting even if it is somewhat predictable. Most people are thinking it even if they aren't already saying it.
If both teams head into the playoffs with home field advantage then I'd say it was. Of course, at that point so would everybody.

Completely inevitable.

The two obvious teams after three weeks always wind up being the best teams at the end of the season.

Always.

If you've watched the NFL for more than a couple of seasons you know that nothing is inevitable.

Chances are good that one or both of those teams will be picked off before the SB.

However, if you're placing a bet on the Super Bowl matchup from as early as now, those 2 teams are as good as any, that's for sure.

When was the last time the two best teams / teams with the best record met in the Super Bowl? No one cares how you play in September. It's how you play in Dec / Jan / Feb that counts.

For that matter, how often does the best team in a conference even reach the SB anymore?
2009. Colts vs Saints.

Is this the same Sea team that should have lost to Car game 1 (nice fumble gift notwithstanding)...
They're a team that thrives on takeaways. They already have 3 or 4 RZ takeaways this year. You can't obviously count on them as a game plan, but the D is set up to try and force them. I would love to see a mid season chess match between Seattle's secondary and Manning 'a receiving corps. Seattle 's first team owned Denver 's in preseason, but neuther side was unleashing their full fury.

Is this the same Sea team that should have lost to Car game 1 (nice fumble gift notwithstanding)...
Sometimes turnovers are a credit to a stout defense. A good turnover ratio can definitely make a team very tough to beat. Bears fans know exactly what I'm talking about.

Hey, rememebr when folks had a SF/SEA NFCC all but written in stone?

Absurd to make predictions now. Green Bay, Chicago, NO, plus probably one dark horse, all will challenge in the NFC. This is really a question of who gets home field advantage.

Denver and Manning haven't even played anyone real yet. Heck even Baltimore could beat them down the road. So far to go in the AFC, BAL, CIN, NE, MIA, KC all could beat Denver down the way.

So no my guess is one or both those teams won't even make their conference championships.

You need more material bro. It got a few people when you said they should have lost to the Redskins, Chicago, etc. last season. Not sure you will hook many this time around, never know though.

Hey, rememebr when folks had a SF/SEA NFCC all but written in stone?

Absurd to make predictions now. Green Bay, Chicago, NO, plus probably one dark horse, all will challenge in the NFC. This is really a question of who gets home field advantage.

Denver and Manning haven't even played anyone real yet. Heck even Baltimore could beat them down the road. So far to go in the AFC, BAL, CIN, NE, MIA, KC all could beat Denver down the way.

So no my guess is one or both those teams won't even make their conference championships.
When do you make predictions? After the regular season?

IMO, a Bronco prediction says just as much about the field as it does about the Broncos. There are no other teams out there that have looked the part so far. Baltimore was dismantled by Broncos opening weekend. Patriots have major questions everywhere but QB and a rather un-inspiring game vs NYJ under their belts. Houston D has given up a ton of points so far. The Bengals are, well, the Bengals. The dolphins and Chiefs look to be making some noise, but haven't been good in a long time so it's hard to be thinking superbowl. The Steelers are old. The Colts, IMO, are the biggest threat right now, especially with Richardson.

Users who are viewing this thread