What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Forsett an Ascendant Talent? (4 Viewers)

I was a bit underwhelmed by the original article. So Forsett has a nice 3-cone time which should indicate good quickness/acceleration.

That's all fine and good except that M.Forte and K.Smith both had better 3-cone times than Forsett. And they had better 40's and weighed more.

What Forsett has going for him are his vision and...perhaps just as important...his height. Look at the highlights and you see a lot of defenders standing around looking for him and then he pops in to view...but he's already at top speed by that point. He reminds me of Sproles in that regard. Being shielded from view by your blockers slows the defenders down, particularly if they are reactive or undisciplined. And when that happens, your quickness advantage is magnified.

But that advantage can be negated by a disciplined defense that follows assignments and gap responsibilities and knows to look low. I am still skeptical that Forsett can be better than a RB3 because at the end of the day he still has a pretty mediocre o-line and offense to play with. I don't think he's special enough to transcend that limitation once defenders start to get a feel for him. It takes just a couple of games for NFL DC's to start trying to take you away. If Forsett starts the season for Seattle, I'd be curious how his first month and second month compare.

I'm not avoiding him, but I'm not planning on counting on him to be more than a RB3 either.

This is a fan posting at fieldgulls, but it's indicative of the level of football savvy there. The guy who runs it is a great learning resource, though you do have to learn it in regards to Seahawks games. he does seriously detailed breakdowns of games and despite being a homer is extremely objective. Or maybe they just sucked so badly the last few years that it seemed balanced because there was so much bad to look at. Not trying to plug the site but if you're a football breakdowner then it's a good weekly read.
Did you mean to provide a link?
The OP is an article on the site, so there's a link in the first post. Click on the logo when you've finished the article.

the addition of Alex Gibbs leading the OL has to help ... same with the drafting of Okung considering the way Walter Jones played last year. Forsett has seen his ADP skyrocket the last three weeks. By mid August, I suspect he will be drafted in the early fifth round ... or earlier
Jones didn't play a snap last year so considering that, anyone's an upgrade!

the addition of Alex Gibbs leading the OL has to help ... same with the drafting of Okung considering the way Walter Jones played last year. Forsett has seen his ADP skyrocket the last three weeks. By mid August, I suspect he will be drafted in the early fifth round ... or earlier
Jones didn't play a snap last year so considering that, anyone's an upgrade!
Yeah, I do not know what I was thinking. Locklear and Willis played a lot of tackle and neither was particularly strong.

Read that last night. I think he walks away with the job and they use Washington as a change of pace. But who knows Julius must do something right. He kept Barber and Forsett on the bench.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/8/5/1608106...practice-report

Seahawks August 5 Practice Report: Running Backs and Owen Schmitt

One or two posts for tonight then I will cover everything else tomorrow morning. Friday is my last practice. Awww, I'm getting all nostalgic. The lines. The bus rides. The amusing fragments of conversation. It's been fun, VMAC.

This was a rich practice with lots of 11-on-11 drills and 6-on-6 drills. The good stuff.

* Julius Jones had himself a very nice practice. He generated much of his yardage through cut backs. It's tough to piece out a cutback from the berm, but I'll do my best to explain why today was such an encouraging sign.

* Mostly, it was typical start-left-cut-right work by Jones.

* On one play, he came to a full stop, but in that cool running back way. Pursuit surged further offensive left and just at the break point, Jones exploded right for what would have been a huge gain.

* A few plays later, Ricky Foley had Jones pinned towards the left sideline. It wasn't the dreaded two way go, but -- nevertheless! Jones planted and drove left and literally sent Foley tumbling, barely bracing himself from falling to his right. NFL-agility, Canuck.

* Jones showed great burst on an inside hand off. Justin Forsett got the majority of runs out of shotgun last season, but Jones looks to have the burst to make that work for him.

* Forsett had a quality day, but was less visible than Jones. Imagine that.

* He ran an angle route and received a perfectly timed pass from Hasselbeck. It hit him just as he was breaking towards the center of the field and, by the looks of it, Justin might have been gone. Or as gone as Justin ever is.

* It was so quick that it didn't receive the "Oooh" it deserved, but on a run up the right sideline and into the end zone, Force put a super-quick stutter step go that just about juked the defender out of his jock.

* Quinton Ganther made a difficult catch down the left sideline, but it was difficult in part because Ganther was eaten up by it. It got dang near into his facemask before he pulled it in. Still, turning leaping reception about 25 yards down field.

* Ganther continues to outperform Owen Schmitt on a lot of the nuts and bolts plays.

* He's quicker on the swing.

* Redirects faster.

* And is, of course, a better rusher.

* But Schmitt is getting up to speed, and Schmitt is undeniably a better blocker than Ganther.

* That blocking came to the fore on one play. Schmitt motioned right to right wide out. He ran a kind of double-hitching curl route. Forcett ran out of the backfield and ran a stop. Hasselbeck targeted Forcett and as soon as Force caught and began to redirect, Schmitt was on top of it, blocking and facilitating run after catch.

* Schmitt did reel in one swing pass to the left. He received and chugged-chugged-chugged and slammed into and through Cord Parks. Schmitt was attempting to slow down. Runaway, indeed.
I was at this practice and can confirm these observations.

http://www.fieldgulls.com/2010/8/5/1608106...practice-report

Seahawks August 5 Practice Report: Running Backs and Owen Schmitt

One or two posts for tonight then I will cover everything else tomorrow morning. Friday is my last practice. Awww, I'm getting all nostalgic. The lines. The bus rides. The amusing fragments of conversation. It's been fun, VMAC.

This was a rich practice with lots of 11-on-11 drills and 6-on-6 drills. The good stuff.

* Julius Jones had himself a very nice practice. He generated much of his yardage through cut backs. It's tough to piece out a cutback from the berm, but I'll do my best to explain why today was such an encouraging sign.

* Mostly, it was typical start-left-cut-right work by Jones.

* On one play, he came to a full stop, but in that cool running back way. Pursuit surged further offensive left and just at the break point, Jones exploded right for what would have been a huge gain.

* A few plays later, Ricky Foley had Jones pinned towards the left sideline. It wasn't the dreaded two way go, but -- nevertheless! Jones planted and drove left and literally sent Foley tumbling, barely bracing himself from falling to his right. NFL-agility, Canuck.

* Jones showed great burst on an inside hand off. Justin Forsett got the majority of runs out of shotgun last season, but Jones looks to have the burst to make that work for him.

* Forsett had a quality day, but was less visible than Jones. Imagine that.

* He ran an angle route and received a perfectly timed pass from Hasselbeck. It hit him just as he was breaking towards the center of the field and, by the looks of it, Justin might have been gone. Or as gone as Justin ever is.

* It was so quick that it didn't receive the "Oooh" it deserved, but on a run up the right sideline and into the end zone, Force put a super-quick stutter step go that just about juked the defender out of his jock.

* Quinton Ganther made a difficult catch down the left sideline, but it was difficult in part because Ganther was eaten up by it. It got dang near into his facemask before he pulled it in. Still, turning leaping reception about 25 yards down field.

* Ganther continues to outperform Owen Schmitt on a lot of the nuts and bolts plays.

* He's quicker on the swing.

* Redirects faster.

* And is, of course, a better rusher.

* But Schmitt is getting up to speed, and Schmitt is undeniably a better blocker than Ganther.

* That blocking came to the fore on one play. Schmitt motioned right to right wide out. He ran a kind of double-hitching curl route. Forcett ran out of the backfield and ran a stop. Hasselbeck targeted Forcett and as soon as Force caught and began to redirect, Schmitt was on top of it, blocking and facilitating run after catch.

* Schmitt did reel in one swing pass to the left. He received and chugged-chugged-chugged and slammed into and through Cord Parks. Schmitt was attempting to slow down. Runaway, indeed.
I was at this practice and can confirm these observations.
Practice.....man we talking about practice....wait til game time and JJ will be the same JJ as the past

article excerpt - quote from a feb. interview i missed...

"One of the first things Carroll noticed about his new team was Forsett's play last year. Carroll said Jones isn't going anywhere and the team also added Leon Washington, but Forsett could still be the featured running back.

"If he continues to run like he did last year, he's going to be," Carroll told CBSSports.com in February. "I've advocated a two-back system or a three-back system depending on what it took. But I've always been able to use a one-back system if that's the way it is. If one of them takes over we're wide open to it."

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasyfo...g=pageContainer

2010 Draft Prep: Forsett could be a real find

Aug. 9, 2010

By Jamey Eisenberg

Senior Fantasy Writer

All Justin Forsett wants is a chance. He wants to prove he can be a starter in the NFL. He wants to show he can hold up for a full season.

He wants to help Fantasy owners win a championship.

Forsett believes 2010 will be a big year for him. He played well last year, but the new coaching staff in Seattle, which is led by Pete Carroll, is giving him the opportunity to become a featured running back in what should be an improved offense.

The prediction here is that not only will Forsett be the best running back in Seattle ahead of Julius Jones, but he will also end up as a starter in the majority of Fantasy leagues. Forsett is one of our favorite sleepers this season.

"I want to be able to produce at a high level," Forsett said in an interview with CBSSports.com. "I want to be the starter and carry the ball as much as they want me to."

It sounds like the Seahawks plan to give Forsett plenty of work. In 2009, his second year in the NFL, Forsett showed off his all-around skills. He was second on the team in rushing with 114 carries for 619 yards (an amazing 5.4 yards per carry) and four touchdowns. He also added 41 catches for 350 yards and a touchdown, and his 969 total yards led the team.

By comparison, Jones had 63 more carries but only 44 more rushing yards and two less rushing touchdowns. Jones also had just 35 catches for 232 yards.

One of the first things Carroll noticed about his new team was Forsett's play last year. Carroll said Jones isn't going anywhere and the team also added Leon Washington, but Forsett could still be the featured running back.

"If he continues to run like he did last year, he's going to be," Carroll told CBSSports.com in February. "I've advocated a two-back system or a three-back system depending on what it took. But I've always been able to use a one-back system if that's the way it is. If one of them takes over we're wide open to it."

Forsett wants to be the starter, and he's going to do whatever it takes to make that happen. He knows the knock on him is durability, since naysayers don't think he can hold up for a full season at 5-foot-8, 198 pounds.

But he showed last season that he can be successful when given a heavy amount of touches. He had four games with double digits in carries and was dominant: Week 10 at Arizona (17 carries for 123 yards and a touchdown), Week 12 at St. Louis (22 carries for 130 yards and two touchdowns), Week 16 at Green Bay (14 carries for 70 yards) and Week 17 against Tennessee (10 carries for 74 yards).

Forsett has also worked on his blocking when he's in on third downs, and he's ready to handle a bigger load after last year's debut performance.

"I got an opportunity to get some carries," Forsett said. "I made something happen, and it was a start. I'm excited. But I haven't put a whole season together. I have a lot to prove."

The Seahawks also have a lot to prove on offense and they revamped their coaching staff, which is highlighted by offensive coordinator Jeremy Bates, offensive line coach Alex Gibbs and quarterbacks coach Jedd Fisch.

Gibbs could be the best thing to happen to Forsett based on his history in the NFL, and the Seahawks have called him "The Godfather of zone blocking" on their website. During his NFL tenure with Denver, Atlanta and Houston, Gibbs' offenses have produced 14 1,000-yard rushing seasons.

He's helped running backs like Terrell Davis, Clinton Portis, Warrick Dunn and Steve Slaton have some of the best years of their careers, and Forsett could be next. He could thrive in Gibbs' one-cut system with his speed.

"He's a guru," Forsett said. "He's exciting to play for. He makes sure we're doing our job."

The new coaching staff has already been impressed with Forsett during training camp.

"Justin is very exciting," Fisch said in a phone interview. "He has an elusiveness about him. He makes things happen. He can find a hole that you don't see. He has great vision. It's really exciting."

This should be an exciting year for Forsett, who should easily eclipse 1,000 total yards and score at least seven touchdowns. He's worth drafting with a mid-round pick in all Fantasy leagues, and you should count on him to be a significant contributor this year.

He even has a message for Fantasy owners on Draft day.

"I'm going to be used a lot this year," Forsett said. "I'm going to give them a lot of points."

That's what we all like to hear, and this is the chance Forsett has been waiting for. He's set up for a big year in 2010, and he's the type of running back you want to draft on your team.

It would be nice to share some information with people letting them know what to expect with regard to carries distribution for the Seattle backfield, but it looks more and more like we are going to enter the season with no idea how this will play out.If it helps at all, there is tremendous support from the Seattle fan base wanting Forsett to get the majority of touches. Here are the results from a fan poll that was in the Tacoma News Tribune beat writer's blog. The poll has been sitting on the front page of the blog for a long time now.

Now that LenDale White has been released, who will be the Seattle Seahawks starting running back in 2010? * Justin Forsett (63%, 2,268 Votes) * He's not on the team yet (16%, 567 Votes) * Julius Jones (11%, 379 Votes) * Leon Washington (10%, 363 Votes)Total Voters: 3,577

unofficial numbers from sunday scrimmage...

Justin Forsett 11 carries for 68 yards; Julius Jones 8 for 28.

Necrobump!

Ray Rice - RB - Ravens

Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel has been "texting with team officials around the NFL," and the belief around the league is that the Ravens will release Ray Rice.

We don't typically use Wetzel as a source, but his words are worth noting. Multiple team officials believe the Ravens simply "have to" release Rice after the video of him knocking out his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator in February came to light on Monday. If the Ravens were to keep Rice rostered, pay him, and play him, they'd face severe backlash. Current and ex-NFL players have already taken to Twitter calling for Rice's head. There's a real chance Rice may get cut and never play again.

Source: Dan Wetzel on Twitter
Given Forsett's good play yesterday coupled with Pierce horrific play and the outcry over Rice, are we looking at the new Ravens lead back? Get him while he's cheap.

Wow I started reading this thread and got thrown off when there was mention of the Seattle offense. Didn't noticed the dates of the post. Not sure Ravens will look at his as the long term answer should try cut Rice. I see a RBBC situation.

Necrobump!

Ray Rice - RB - Ravens

Yahoo! Sports' Dan Wetzel has been "texting with team officials around the NFL," and the belief around the league is that the Ravens will release Ray Rice.

We don't typically use Wetzel as a source, but his words are worth noting. Multiple team officials believe the Ravens simply "have to" release Rice after the video of him knocking out his then-fiancee in a hotel elevator in February came to light on Monday. If the Ravens were to keep Rice rostered, pay him, and play him, they'd face severe backlash. Current and ex-NFL players have already taken to Twitter calling for Rice's head. There's a real chance Rice may get cut and never play again.

Given Forsett's good play yesterday coupled with Pierce horrific play and the outcry over Rice, are we looking at the new Ravens lead back? Get him while he's cheap.
Should be a great play on Thursday night against the Steelers defense.

Necrobump!

Ray Rice - RB - Ravens

Excellent bump.

I'm just curious if folks here think Taliaferro can/will get in eventually.

Forsett is a good guy, hard worker, but relatively limited skill set. He'd be a good play to the extent that a generic Baltimore running back is a good play.

Ravens looked once again like a mess yesterday, you know you're in trouble when Flacco throws 62 times.

Forsett is a good guy, hard worker, but relatively limited skill set. He'd be a good play to the extent that a generic Baltimore running back is a good play.
His statline against what I'm assuming is a decent Cincinnati defense was impressive coming off the bench. I'm looking at RB4 with potential for RB3 flex play or more right now in my re-draft league. I think Forsett's familiarity with Kubiack and his system could give him a chance.

BTW, I like Taliaferro quite a bit too, but I think he's too new to the system to be an immediate factor.

Forsett should, at a minimum, be an excellent flex play next week against the Steelers that just got gashed by the Browns.

I can't believe I'm about to slap a huge chunk of my waiver budget on Justin freaking Forsett, but I am. HMFoG.

that's a good question --- as things currently stand, what % do you pony up, and what if rice were to really get cut before waivers process?

Can you really say Pierce was HORRIFIC when he had 6 carries? I think that's over-doing it on the adjectives.

Ravens HC never said that Forsett will start. Rotoworld blurb said that Forsett "deserve" to start week 2. Has anyone heard or seen a link that will lead us to believe that Forsett is the lead back now?

Just covering all corners. I've seen it all too many times that a lead back is benched during a game. We make assumptions and then they start the following week again.

So what % of yout FAAB ae you dropping on Forsett if your a Rice owner?

Seems like you have to go pretty high if you were counting on Rice. But I also feel like the chances of Forsett being a long term every week start is minimal.

Seems like you have to go pretty high if you were counting on Rice. But I also feel like the chances of Forsett being a long term every week start is minimal.
Depends how desperate your team is. I'm willing to spend over 1/2 my FAAB $ on him. Its also PPR.

Sincerely,

'Ben Tate/Bishop Sankey/Devonta Freeman as my RB2' owner

Last edited by a moderator:

Depends how desperate your team is. I'm willing to spend over 1/2 my FAAB $ on him. Its also PPR.

Sincerely,

If I had Sankey, I'd spend less of my FAAB$ and get S.Greene, that way you are covered when/if Sankey takes over. Let everyone else fight over Forsett who may or may not start.

Sincerely,

If I had Sankey, I'd spend less of my FAAB$ and get S.Greene, that way you are covered when/if Sankey takes over. Let everyone else fight over Forsett who may or may not start.
Green is rostered. I drafted early and was buying into the Sankey hype...unfortunately. Then I felt fortunate to have drafted Tate as my RB3....Then yesterday happened.

Not sure about Forsett, he could be a decent RB2 in PPR leagues, even if he's only a 50/50 committee type back. He's going to catch a ton of balls this year, think that's a given now.

Pierce and Forsett available in my league and I literally think its a 50/50 split on the odds of who does better going forward...ungh.

Forsett sure seems like a journeyman and I'm not convinced he'll be the starter. Clearly Pierce is in the doghouse and was on a really short leash to begin with. Wildcard here in this situation would be the 4th round rookie Taliaferro, who looked pretty good this preseason. Seems to be the Ravens might be interested in giving him some extended run in this situation.

I didn't see the game, but Pierce looked good last year. People really think he rides the pine week 2 after his first career fumble? Seems crazy to me. If Pierce owners are really that down on him I'm going to look to guy.

I didn't see the game, but Pierce looked good last year. People really think he rides the pine week 2 after his first career fumble? Seems crazy to me. If Pierce owners are really that down on him I'm going to look to guy.
With his YPC last year how can you say he looked good?

With his YPC last year how can you say he looked good?
The games I saw I thought the looked good and better than Rice. Though as a Pats fan, maybe my memory is clouded by him running all over the Pats in a game, which tends to happen. A lot.

What do you guys think about Forsett's dynasty value? Odds that he'll still be the starter next year?

If you guys can revive a four year old thread, can you also get Bob Magaw to break up his paragraphs so we don't have to be bludgeoned by a 98 - line block of text?

Anyone selling high here? Lots of talk about Lorenzo/Pierce previously but haven't seen as much lately. Wondering if the SP expects this kind of continued production down the stretch. His playoff matchups look pretty good.

Anyone selling high here? Lots of talk about Lorenzo/Pierce previously but haven't seen as much lately. Wondering if the SP expects this kind of continued production down the stretch. His playoff matchups look pretty good.
I don't see any reason he can't continue this for the rest of the season. I sold him in a dynasty rebuild though a couple of weeks ago; got Bortles for him (also sent Delanie Walker).

I tried selling, but no one has offered me anything for him. I will just hold and enjoy the ride.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread