What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Forsett an Ascendant Talent? (3 Viewers)

I got an offer for him in redraft.

I was offered Desean Jackson from a WR heavy team. I am a bit weak at WR but my RB aren't super great either -however I do have McCoy and Lamar Miller. Chewing on this one.

Anyone selling high here? Lots of talk about Lorenzo/Pierce previously but haven't seen as much lately. Wondering if the SP expects this kind of continued production down the stretch. His playoff matchups look pretty good.
I tried selling, but no one has offered me anything for him. I will just hold and enjoy the ride.
I was desperate for WR help and offered him up a few weeks ago. Best offers I got were S Smith, Boldin, Garcon.

Might try again, but his perceived value seems to be lower than his actual value.

Same here, seems like the rest of my league likes him less than I do, which is surprising considering there are multiple Ravens fans. He's been very reliable and if he'd ever get more carries inside the 10 I actually think he'd push for top 5 RB numbers (close to that already but no bye yet), his yardage numbers have been good.

Dynasty value seems to be a 1st. Been looking to trade for him but that price is too high for a guy who might not be the starter next year.

Anyone selling high here? Lots of talk about Lorenzo/Pierce previously but haven't seen as much lately. Wondering if the SP expects this kind of continued production down the stretch. His playoff matchups look pretty good.
I don't see any reason he can't continue this for the rest of the season. I sold him in a dynasty rebuild though a couple of weeks ago; got Bortles for him (also sent Delanie Walker).
Can't get him for anywhere near that in my leagues, even from team that are out of contention.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking great against the saints. Will be on many championship rosters. He's 29 but has a lot of gas left it seems and is absolutely key to the Ravens offense. Do they take Gordon In the draft and dump Forsett? Thoughts for dynasty?

Dynasty value seems to be a 1st. Been looking to trade for him but that price is too high for a guy who might not be the starter next year.
I traded a 1st (low as I was 9-1) for Forsett and a 2nd (high as that went is in the bottom 3rd of the league). I feel pretty confident in him going forward. Good RB2 behind Murray for me.

my only teams that will make the playoffs have forsett. its kinda funny i was ridiculed by a stranger in my ffpc league for spending almost 2/3 of my budget on him.

I remember when this guy had a "sort of" breakout year with the Seahawks quite a while ago. I held on to him in a Keep 4 league, then he disappeared forever. Or almost forever.

Nice comeback kid!

my only teams that will make the playoffs have forsett. its kinda funny i was ridiculed by a stranger in my ffpc league for spending almost 2/3 of my budget on him.
I would have laughed at the time too. I would have been wrong though, just like I was for not putting in any claims for him. Just couldn't imagine an old journeyman like him actually getting and keeping the job from 2 younger guys that I thought were both more talented than him.

I would have laughed at the time too. I would have been wrong though, just like I was for not putting in any claims for him. Just couldn't imagine an old journeyman like him actually getting and keeping the job from 2 younger guys that I thought were both more talented than him.
Exact same sentiment. Dropping a ton of FAAB on Forsett was like hitting on 17 when the dealer is showing a 6. Hitting that 4 must feel nice, but c'mon...

Before the Rice suspension we kept hearing about how Pierce was the most natural fit for the scheme and looked good in camp and there was a not insignificant amount of hype about Taliaferro. Forsett is a nice story and I'm happy for him, but given a parallel situation next year, I again won't be bidding on the 29 year old journeyman just as I won't be hitting on 17.

Forsett's ascendance is the perfect example of talent meeting opportunity meeting system.

I don't think this guy all of a sudden became a world beater, but he does have some talent that fits well with the Kubiak system. And the strong Ravens' OL certainly is a big factor.

Most importantly for fantasy purposes, enjoy the ride.

Exact same sentiment. Dropping a ton of FAAB on Forsett was like hitting on 17 when the dealer is showing a 6. Hitting that 4 must feel nice, but c'mon...

Before the Rice suspension we kept hearing about how Pierce was the most natural fit for the scheme and looked good in camp and there was a not insignificant amount of hype about Taliaferro. Forsett is a nice story and I'm happy for him, but given a parallel situation next year, I again won't be bidding on the 29 year old journeyman just as I won't be hitting on 17.
i drafted charles 2nd overall, then waited until late to snag sjax, mjd, and ingram. i was hurtin bad for a 2nd rb and forsett looked like he would fit the bill. i spent far less on him for my other teams, but this one in particular desperately needed a rb.

anyway, your analogy is pretty far off imo, as his odds were clearly far better than that. he was obv going to be the receiving back in a timeshare which is very worthwhile in ppr. and further, i got him for the whole season, rather than waiting on another rb to emerge, which may take weeks. ffpc team too, so the ww was pretty thing.

If people thought that Pierce was going to be anything that's their own fault. How many guys have ever been as bad as he was last year (and early this year) and come back to be anything?

He had a couple of nice games under Cam Cameron's super system that makes literally any RB look decent and that's it. The writing was on the wall with that guy.

Dude's in the assistant coach told me "NO" to a trade where I got Forsett and a 3rd round rookie pick for V-Jax in my dynasty back in week 6. I did it anyways. I now own a top 5 RB. I immediately learned to just make my own decisions regarding my personnel.

Still not sure how it all bodes in the long-term though...

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett - RB - Ravens

The Baltimore Sun confirms Justin Forsett is "expected to start" and "have his usual workload" in Week 14 against the Dolphins despite missing Wednesday's practice with an ankle injury.

"Just resting up, regular soreness," Forsett stated Wednesday. "Especially coming into December, just trying to take care of the body and take care of the little nicks I've gotten over the course of the year." The Dolphins' run defense has sprung leaks recently, getting gashed by C.J. Anderson in Week 12 and by Chris Johnson on Monday night. Forsett will be a fantasy RB1.

Source: Baltimore Sun

Dec 3 - 8:19 PM

Dude's in the assistant coach told me "NO" to a trade where I got Forsett and a 3rd round rookie pick for V-Jax in my dynasty back in week 6. I did it anyways. I now own a top 5 RB. I immediately learned to just make my own decisions regarding my personnel.

Still not sure how it all bodes in the long-term though...
Impressive.

:tebow: :bow: :clap:

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett blamed a stacked box for his disappointing 16-48-0 line against the Jaguars Sunday.

Forsett's 48 yards were his lowest since Week 9. "Their mindset coming in was to stop the run. ... They were a physical bunch. They've got a great front seven and they did a good job. The box and safeties were down, but it was a good challenge for us." Forsett also appeared to tweak his troublesome ankle in the first half. Practice reports will be worth watching, but he should bounce back as a high-end RB2 against the Texans in Week 16.

Dec 16 - 9:06 AM

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett (ankle, knee) is no longer listed on the injury report.

Forsett has rotated out more often that usual the last two weeks, averaging 14.5 carries during that span vs. 22.0 the previous three weeks. Perhaps knee and ankle issues were to blame. Forsett was a full participant in Wednesday's practice, a strong sign he's nearing 100 percent again ahead of Sunday's game at Houston. "I feel good," he said. "This is actually one of the best Wednesdays that I've had in a while. So, my body is feeling good, maintaining, feeling ready to go."

Dec 18 - 9:22 AM

Rotoworld:

Justin Forsett - RB - Ravens

Justin Forsett rushed 24 times for 129 yards in Baltimore's Divisional Round loss to the Patriots, adding two catches for 17 yards and a touchdown.

Forsett had looked out of gas for the better part of the past month, but came back alive at the exact right time for Baltimore. The 129 yards on the ground were the second most of the season for a back who broke out at the tender age of 29. Elusive with excellent vision in the open field, Forsett will be an interesting case in free agency after leading running backs in yards per carry (5.4), and coming in fifth in rushing yards (1,266). Forsett had previously never rushed for more than 619 yards. Despite the elite campaign, Forsett is more likely to land somewhere in a change-of-pace than bell-cow role.

Jan 10 - 8:29 PM

Are we going to see him back as the #1 in Baltimore next year? He was great on my team this year be fun to get him back next year if possible.

Rotoworld:

Free agent Justin Forsett said he's heard the Ravens will keep some of the same run-game principles under new OC Marc Trestman.

Trestman takes over for Gary Kubiak, who implemented the highly successful Shanahan zone scheme. It resulted in a breakout year for 29-year-old Forsett, who put up 235-1,266-8 on the ground. It's a no-brainer for Trestman to leave the system in place while adding his own personal touch to the pass game -- a scheme that typically results in high-reception totals for his running backs. Forsett would be a nice fit and shouldn't be too expensive for the Ravens to bring back.

Source: Tom Pelissero on Twitter
Jan 26 - 9:31 AM

Rotoworld:

Free agent Justin Forsett told the Detroit Free Press he is seeking "commitment" from his next team.

Forsett said his "first choice" is to re-sign with the Ravens, but only if they show him that "commitment." It would be unusual for any team to "commit" to a running back entering his age-30 season, of course. "I've been bouncing around this league for a while and I want to be able to have my family in one spot," Forsett explained. "So at least for the next couple years I want to be in one spot."

Source: Detroit Free Press
Feb 11 - 11:07 PM

Rotoworld:

A source tells ESPN that the Falcons will have "strong interest" in free agent RB Justin Forsett.

Forsett is coming off a career-year in a Gary Kubiak offense that has the same principles as the one Kyle Shanahan is installing in Atlanta. He also won't be overly expensive considering he turns 30 years old in October. The Falcons likely have interest in Forsett as a tandem piece with Devonta Freeman, who they've talked up relentlessly this week. Forsett is our No. 5 free agent RB, behind DeMarco Murray, C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews and Mark Ingram.

Related: Falcons

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 20 - 12:12 PM

Rotoworld:

A source tells ESPN that the Falcons will have "strong interest" in free agent RB Justin Forsett.

Forsett is coming off a career-year in a Gary Kubiak offense that has the same principles as the one Kyle Shanahan is installing in Atlanta. He also won't be overly expensive considering he turns 30 years old in October. The Falcons likely have interest in Forsett as a tandem piece with Devonta Freeman, who they've talked up relentlessly this week. Forsett is our No. 5 free agent RB, behind DeMarco Murray, C.J. Spiller, Ryan Mathews and Mark Ingram.

Related: Falcons

Source: ESPN.com
Feb 20 - 12:12 PM
Rotoworld is going to send Guido after you :)

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Redskins and Saints are ready to make a run at free agent RB Justin Forsett.

It makes sense for New Orleans to pursue a running back with Mark Ingram headed for free agency, but hearing Washington's name in Forsett discussions is a bit of a shock. Alfred Morris has been one of the most productive rushers in the league over the last three seasons. It's hard to envision Morris splitting carries with a 29-year-old journeyman. Despite all the interest Forsett is getting from other teams, there's still a good chance he winds up back in Baltimore.

Related: Saints, Redskins

Source: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Mar 6 - 12:47 PM

Rotoworld:

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports the Redskins and Saints are ready to make a run at free agent RB Justin Forsett.

It makes sense for New Orleans to pursue a running back with Mark Ingram headed for free agency, but hearing Washington's name in Forsett discussions is a bit of a shock. Alfred Morris has been one of the most productive rushers in the league over the last three seasons. It's hard to envision Morris splitting carries with a 29-year-old journeyman. Despite all the interest Forsett is getting from other teams, there's still a good chance he winds up back in Baltimore.

Exhibit #24051 of why RW is a joke.

Rotoworld:

The Baltimore Sun reports the Falcons, Redskins and Colts are interested in free agent Justin Forsett.

Aaron Wilson also reports Forsett remains interested in re-signing with the Ravens, and that the "feeling is mutual." Going on 30, Forsett would be the change-of-pace back in a committee wherever he ends up. Despite his breakout 2014, he's simply too old for someone to invest in as a feature runner. Re-upping with the Ravens might make the most sense from a snap perspective.

Related: Ravens, Colts, Redskins

Source: Aaron Wilson on Twitter
Mar 9 - 6:21 PM

Rotoworld:

Exhibit #24051 of why RW is a joke.
:shrug: it's an accurate statement.

I am really confused on how more people arent talking about forsett moving forward. He avgd over 5 ypc last year and caught 44 passes. Granted hes been on 6 different teams until now but he doesnt really have a lot mileage on him. Could he resurge at his current age like Fred Jackson did?

Fred Jackson is a historical outlier in regards to workload and performance at an advanced age.

However if Frank Gore holds up, Jackson might have some more company in that regard.

If Forsett does re-sign with the Ravens and he is utilized similarly to how Matt Forte was used with Trestman, he could be a very valuable RB to have in 2015. Possibly longer if does do well.

Fred Jackson is a historical outlier in regards to workload and performance at an advanced age.

However if Frank Gore holds up, Jackson might have some more company in that regard.

If Forsett does re-sign with the Ravens and he is utilized similarly to how Matt Forte was used with Trestman, he could be a very valuable RB to have in 2015. Possibly longer if does do well.
i agree about fred. what I was saying was that the sample size of backs that I can remember where a guy with low mileage and in there 30s (or close to it) became a top rb is small. Only other one I can think of off the top of my head is Michael turner and he was serviceable for a couple of years and had a ridiculous amount of carries. Maybe forsett just needed somewhere to shine...

I have liked Forsett since he was a rookie prospect. So it isn't really a surprise to me that he did well. Just unusual for a RB to shine later on in their career as most of them have their best seasons in the early parts of it.

Thomas Jones and Priest Holmes are some examples of players who has better performance later on in their careers than early on. There may be a few other examples than these two.

Age has been the main thing ending RB careers and Forsett will be 30 years old October 14th. It isn't just the age but when a RB has a injury when they are older, it is harder for them to come back from it than an younger RB. But it is also teams being unwilling to risk counting on a older RB to be able to recover from those injuries as well. So from that perspective, the history is coupled with managerial decisions of teams as well.

With recent advances in medicine, and with the league moving more towards passing the ball than they did in the past. I do think veteran RB who can be trusted in pass protection and be more complete RB, perhaps the managerial perspective on that is shifting somewhat. I do think some RB may be capable of playing at a high level beyond 30 years old than they have gotten the opportunity to prove that.

Forsett has had a lot of injuries keeping him from playing time. I would not say the lower work load over his career thus far has any impact on him being able to play at a high level at an advanced age because of the workload. The last time I delved into this issue what I found the opposite to be true. More workload usually led to higher workloads in the future, not the other way around.

Rotoworld:

Ravens agreed to terms with RB Justin Forsett to a three-year, $9 million contract.

In one of the league's unlikeliest breakout seasons in recent memory, career journeyman/scatback Forsett busted loose for a 235-1,266-5.4-8 rushing line in Gary Kubiak's offense last season, doing so at age 29. Now going on 30, Forsett returns to Baltimore under new OC Marc Trestman, whose history of funneling receptions to running backs would bode very well for versatile Forsett, assuming he keeps the Ravens' lead back job. ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Baltimore's 2015 backfield could consist of Forsett, Lorenzo Taliaferro, and "a high draft pick." Forsett will be a tough fantasy player to rank depending on what happens in the draft. We'd be surprised if he were utilized as a true workhorse again this year. Forsett has the contract of a committee back.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter
Mar 12 - 2:26 PM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Ravens agreed to terms with RB Justin Forsett to a three-year, $9 million contract.

In one of the league's unlikeliest breakout seasons in recent memory, career journeyman/scatback Forsett busted loose for a 235-1,266-5.4-8 rushing line in Gary Kubiak's offense last season, doing so at age 29. Now going on 30, Forsett returns to Baltimore under new OC Marc Trestman, whose history of funneling receptions to running backs would bode very well for versatile Forsett, assuming he keeps the Ravens' lead back job. ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Baltimore's 2015 backfield could consist of Forsett, Lorenzo Taliaferro, and "a high draft pick." Forsett will be a tough fantasy player to rank depending on what happens in the draft. We'd be surprised if he were utilized as a true workhorse again this year. Forsett has the contract of a committee back.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter

Mar 12 - 2:26 PM
Bernard Pierce :kicksrock:

ESPN Ravens reporter Jamison Hensley believes Baltimore's 2015 backfield could consist of Forsett, Lorenzo Taliaferro, and "a high draft pick."
You survived round one, Justin!

Users who are viewing this thread