What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is it time to Drop Sproles? (Yes... I'm panicking) (1 Viewer)

agame2323

Footballguy
Is his role being reduced? I could easily pickup Andre Brown but I want to believe that this is just a passing phase in New Orleans. Sproles still looks dynamic but he's just not getting the opportunities. I don't know if you can trust is situation going forward.

if you cant find someone to drop other than sproles for brown, you dont need brown anyway.

dont drop sproles.

Dropped him last night for Vereen in standard. If Vereen or Brown are available on your WW, I'd rush to make that move.

I can't see myself dropping him yet in PPR, but I'm most likely benching him this week against the jets and their stout rushing defense

I commented that it looked like he'd lost a step five weeks ago, and got pummeled on this board.

Those who took my advice and moved him after the Miami anomaly are looking good right now.

I can't see myself dropping him yet in PPR, but I'm most likely benching him this week against the jets and their stout rushing defense
Sproles shouldn't be de-valued because of a tough run defense matchup. He's a pass catching RB first and foremost. Any rushing stats are gravy. His problem this year has been TD production. Aside from his one big game, he hasn't scored a TD. That's very unusual for him. In a full point PPR, he only has two games under 9.6 points, so unless he puts up another couple of games like he did last week, I'll continue putting him in my line-up.

Dropped him last night for Vereen in standard. If Vereen or Brown are available on your WW, I'd rush to make that move.
To elaborate further, Sproles had three abysmal games in a row (in standard), and has a few tough rushing matchups ahead on the schedule (most notably SF, Seattle, and Carolina). He's no longer a major part of the gameplan in NO, and Andre Brown is a potential three down back on an offense that has rediscovered their running game. Payton has too many weapons for Brees to throw to, to reliably expect Sproles to be featured every week in the passing game.

Dropping Sproles for Brown is a no brainer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I commented that it looked like he'd lost a step five weeks ago, and got pummeled on this board.

Those who took my advice and moved him after the Miami anomaly are looking good right now.
He's still on pace for 82 catches for 837 yards and 4 TDs, plus his rushing stats. He's prone to have monster games, and will have a dud every now and then, too. But in general, he's been fairly consistent. Easily usable as a flex play.

Sproles shouldn't be de-valued because of a tough run defense matchup. He's a pass catching RB first and foremost. Any rushing stats are gravy. His problem this year has been TD production. Aside from his one big game, he hasn't scored a TD. That's very unusual for him. In a full point PPR, he only has two games under 9.6 points, so unless he puts up another couple of games like he did last week, I'll continue putting him in my line-up.
They've shutdown pass catching receivers and I see Brees throwing the ball down the field with the jets' decimating secondary. If the saints don't do this they WILL lose Sunday @jets

To elaborate further, Sproles had three abysmal games in a row (in standard), and has a few tough rushing matchups ahead on the schedule (most notably SF, Seattle, and Carolina). He's no longer a major part of the gameplan in NO, and Andre Brown is a potential three down back on an offense that has rediscovered their running game. Payton has too many weapons for Brees to throw to, to reliably expect many passes to Sproles at this point.

Personally, I wouldn't own Sproles in a standard league. His true value comes in PPR leagues.

I think he's safe to drop at this point.
He was injured on his first touch. You'd be a fool to drop him without knowing if he's gonna miss time, and if so how much. For all we know he was in for a big game. It's not like he's injury prone.

I think he's safe to drop at this point.
He was injured on his first touch. You'd be a fool to drop him without knowing if he's gonna miss time, and if so how much. For all we know he was in for a big game. It's not like he's injury prone.
Ok, I'll add that he's safe to drop if someone like Vereen or Brown is available. Sproles has had one good game all season.

Has to go through concussion protocol. If he is not doing at least light workouts on Wed don't expect him to play Sunday. Again, they have to follow protocol but light exercise mid week is usually a good sign.

He's still on pace for 82 catches for 837 yards and 4 TDs, plus his rushing stats. He's prone to have monster games, and will have a dud every now and then, too. But in general, he's been fairly consistent. Easily usable as a flex play.
Yup, I agree. I'm intrigued with this thread to see if anyone is actually buying low on him, or trying to.

Holding on in 10 team non-PPR, but more to keep him out of competitive hands than to play him. He's too inconsistent in non-PPR to use with confidence. He's the first guy off should a WW opportunity arise and will shop him actively if he puts together a half-decent game this week

Holding on in 10 team non-PPR, but more to keep him out of competitive hands than to play him. He's too inconsistent in non-PPR to use with confidence. He's the first guy off should a WW opportunity arise and will shop him actively if he puts together a half-decent game this week
this week ? As in week 10?

Has anyone recently come back from a concussion the week following? Seems like skipping the next game is just about de rigeur.

For those that care.... 10 team, nonPPR, standard. Dropped him for Dobson. I needed help at WR after losing Blackmon and I have depth at RB. Would have preferred to hold him, but couldn't let Dobson pass me by. Tried to trade Sproles, but no owner was interested. At the end of the day, I just didn't see myself starting Sproles with any confidence.

Any chance they remove him from return duties due to the concussion?

This dallas game Sunday night at home is the kind of matchup sproles and the Saints generally go crazy in. Expect big points and sproles should be right in the middle of it as long as he plays

zoonation said:
starks said:
#Saints RB Darren Sproles has passed concussion protocols and is practicing today. #FantasyFootball
Well I am happy for him but was really looking forward to the possibility to flexing PT Cruiser this weekend v Dallas.
not sure what your depth is like but he is a flex play regardless. If Sproles can't go Pierre is a strong RB2 play in PPR leagues IMO.
Playing Spiller, Mike James and Nicks over PT with news of Sproles being back. (non-ppr)

zoonation said:
starks said:
#Saints RB Darren Sproles has passed concussion protocols and is practicing today. #FantasyFootball
Well I am happy for him but was really looking forward to the possibility to flexing PT Cruiser this weekend v Dallas.
not sure what your depth is like but he is a flex play regardless. If Sproles can't go Pierre is a strong RB2 play in PPR leagues IMO.
Playing Spiller, Mike James and Nicks over PT with news of Sproles being back. (non-ppr)
Kind of a no-brainer for you there. I agree. Pierre has very limited value in non-ppr.

dropped him (and Donald Brown) for Mike James and Shane Vereen in redraft non-PPR
Hope you aren't watching tonight's game.
In a non-PPR his value is extremely limited (despite tonight's game). That's still a good move.
I can't see Vereen having much value in non-PPR if Ridley is healthy and keeps the ball off the carpet. It's easy to say right now, but I'd probably value Sproles over Vereen.

This dallas game Sunday night at home is the kind of matchup sproles and the Saints generally go crazy in. Expect big points and sproles should be right in the middle of it as long as he plays
Nostradamus… although you need a new avatar

Nostradamus… although you need a new avatar
Played sproles and p. Thomas on one team. Lovin it

dropped him (and Donald Brown) for Mike James and Shane Vereen in redraft non-PPR
In a non-PPR his value is extremely limited (despite tonight's game). That's still a good move.
I can't see Vereen having much value in non-PPR if Ridley is healthy and keeps the ball off the carpet. It's easy to say right now, but I'd probably value Sproles over Vereen.
Whatever Vereen does is gravy for him. Mike James is worth more than Sproles and Brown combined in a non-PPR

Whatever Vereen does is gravy for him. Mike James is worth more than Sproles and Brown combined in a non-PPR
Fair enough.... It sounded as if the acquisitions were waiver claims as opposed to a trade. Perhaps I misunderstood.

Nostradamus although you need a new avatar
Played sproles and p. Thomas on one team. Lovin it
Did the same, great combo tonight.

Great game from Sproles tonight. He will have to become a big part of the offense again if Jimmy Graham's plantar fascia issue continues to be an issue.

Played Bell and Moreno over him in PPR. Great to see him have a good game but he's been very inconsistent this season it seems. It's nice to have him though for bench depth and if he can put up 20+ the next couple of games he could be gold come playoff time.

I dropped him this week. 0.5 ppr league. He has been dead weight for too many weeks. I can't reliably start him in a must-win game or the playoffs. Bye bye.

To elaborate further, Sproles had three abysmal games in a row (in standard), and has a few tough rushing matchups ahead on the schedule (most notably SF, Seattle, and Carolina). He's no longer a major part of the gameplan in NO, and Andre Brown is a potential three down back on an offense that has rediscovered their running game. Payton has too many weapons for Brees to throw to, to reliably expect many passes to Sproles at this point.

Personally, I wouldn't own Sproles in a standard league. His true value comes in PPR leagues.
Standard league and I dropped him the week before his concussion. Nobody's picked him up since.

eta: Even in standard he's ranked overall #27--but there's just no way to guess when he hits or misses.

i'm personally dropping Ridley for Sproles in a 1 pt PPR (4 max RB). Just hoping he can stay healthy but I honestly doubt he makes it in my line-up for the playoffs.

Users who are viewing this thread