What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is Josh Morgan worth anything at all? (1 Viewer)

face105

Footballguy
Another team dropped him and he's at a very affordable cost, keeper-wise. Does he have any potential in that lineup for either this year or next?

He played a lot last week in place of the injured/ineffective Bryant Johnson. I think Josh Morgan has the potential to be a star. I was very impressed in preseason.

He played a lot last week in place of the injured/ineffective Bryant Johnson. I think Josh Morgan has the potential to be a star. I was very impressed in preseason.
I agree in redraft league, probably not. In dynasty, he might be worth stashing. He was impressive in preseason (whatever that's worth...V.Davis looked good in preseason as well.) But he is in a good offense for WRs under OC Martz...and they might improve the 2nd year at it. I can see him as a NFL WR1 or WR2 next year for SF. However, SF is looking like it might have a coaching overhaul next year. It's looking like this might be Nolan last year if not last few weeks. It's anyone's guess who might be the new HC (or OC) for the niners next year. That makes it hard to determine what type of offensive scheme they'll go with and hard to predict young players like J.Morgan.

FoxSports.com's John Czarnecki reports that Josh Morgan will start at wideout for the 49ers Sunday.We'll have to assume it's in place of Bryant Johnson, whose snaps have been inconsistent in recent weeks because of a hamstring injury. Morgan is a fine dynasty pickup and worth a look in deep redraft leagues, but we wouldn't count on him against the Giants. Source: FoxSports.com

He's definitely worth keeping on a dynasty league. If you have an open spot on a redraft, you might want to pick him up and hope to get lucky - there's a good chance he won't catch more thand 3 or 4 passes this season. For a keeper league, it depends on how many spots you have and what his keeping price is vs. your other players - we don't have enough info in those areas.

Encouraging game so far. If he flashes enough talent this season then the 49ers could let Johnson walk in the offseason and insert Morgan into their opening day starting lineup next year.

Encouraging game so far. If he flashes enough talent this season then the 49ers could let Johnson walk in the offseason and insert Morgan into their opening day starting lineup next year.
There were rumors he was going to start this season until he got sick. He's starting in front of an injured Johnson and looking better than Johnson. Why wouldn't Morgan start this year.

There were rumors he was going to start this season until he got sick. He's starting in front of an injured Johnson and looking better than Johnson. Why wouldn't Morgan start this year.
It's definitely possible.

I've read some talk that Morgan's emergence pushed B. Johnson down the depth chart. If he keeps Johnson on the bench, I think Morgan could put up some nice numbers the rest of the way - I don't think he'll be a must-start (this year), but I think he'll make the WR3/Flex decision a bit harder for those who already have him rostered.

I've read some talk that Morgan's emergence pushed B. Johnson down the depth chart. If he keeps Johnson on the bench, I think Morgan could put up some nice numbers the rest of the way - I don't think he'll be a must-start (this year), but I think he'll make the WR3/Flex decision a bit harder for those who already have him rostered.
FOr those that waited, patience paid off. The Sacramento Bee said yesterday after the game that the coaching staff commented that #84 will continue to start over Bryant Johnson.

coach Mike Nolan confirmed Monday that rookie Josh Morgan will continue to be the team's starting split end.

Bryant Johnson has been permanently benched and is likely now a fourth receiver because Arnaz Battle plays in the slot. Drop Johnson. Morgan is still a work in progress as a route runner, but possesses the most big-play ability in the 49ers' receiver corps. He'll be inconsistent, but should be owned in all leagues as a starter in a pass-heavy attack.

Source: Sacramento Bee

coach Mike Nolan confirmed Monday that rookie Josh Morgan will continue to be the team's starting split end.Bryant Johnson has been permanently benched and is likely now a fourth receiver because Arnaz Battle plays in the slot. Drop Johnson. Morgan is still a work in progress as a route runner, but possesses the most big-play ability in the 49ers' receiver corps. He'll be inconsistent, but should be owned in all leagues as a starter in a pass-heavy attack.Source: Sacramento Bee
I was impressed by Morgan's ability to get separation yesterday and it is good news that he will start again this week. He did drop one deep pass late in the fourth but overall he had a very good game.

BUMP

With the addition of Crabtree, is this guy now an afterthought or does he still have some value late in a draft?

I think he still has some value as a guy you can stash... but with Crabtree there and the possibility of SF being a run-heavy team, I am not nearly as high on him as I once was.

I will be watching this closely as I own Morgan and Jason Hill in my dynasty and have the 3rd pick in the draft that looks to be Crabtree. Problem for Morgan is that he plays the same position as Crabtree. How will the move be for him?

My biggest question is what does this do to Hills future value. I could see this as a great trio a few years down the road if Morgan adjusts, Crabtree works hard, and Hill fits in the slot. But, maybe that is just wishful thinking.

BUMPWith the addition of Crabtree, is this guy now an afterthought or does he still have some value late in a draft?
People jumped the gun on Morgan and generally overrated him on the basis of a strong preseason.Crabtree is the best WR on the team, but the long term WR2 spot is wide open. I don't know who's going to claim it. It will probably be Isaac Bruce this season, but beyond that is anyone's guess. I think Jason Hill is a more consistent and reliable target than Morgan. Morgan is a flashier player who may have more upside. Brandon Jones is pretty meh IMO.

EBF said:
Raider Nation said:
BUMPWith the addition of Crabtree, is this guy now an afterthought or does he still have some value late in a draft?
People jumped the gun on Morgan and generally overrated him on the basis of a strong preseason.Crabtree is the best WR on the team, but the long term WR2 spot is wide open. I don't know who's going to claim it. It will probably be Isaac Bruce this season, but beyond that is anyone's guess. I think Jason Hill is a more consistent and reliable target than Morgan. Morgan is a flashier player who may have more upside. Brandon Jones is pretty meh IMO.
How did people jump the gun? Has the guy already busted? I thought he looked good in limited time during the season as well, not just in the preseason. In fact, until SF took Crabtree, Morgan was already penciled in as the #1 WR on the team from what I had read. So I'm not exactly sure how people were "jumping the gun". The guy looked great in preseason and just as good in the few games he had balls thrown to him during the season. If you wait on a guy like him to break out, then you get to pay a much higher price later. Either way, it's entirely WAY too early to decide one way or another at this point, but he's definitely not a bust yet or anything close so it could be that those you call "jumping the gun" actually got a steal by acting so quickly. How about we let more than 1 season pass, especially 1 season where he didn't do anything poorly.

How did people jump the gun? Has the guy already busted? I thought he looked good in limited time during the season as well, not just in the preseason. In fact, until SF took Crabtree, Morgan was already penciled in as the #1 WR on the team from what I had read. So I'm not exactly sure how people were "jumping the gun". The guy looked great in preseason and just as good in the few games he had balls thrown to him during the season. If you wait on a guy like him to break out, then you get to pay a much higher price later. Either way, it's entirely WAY too early to decide one way or another at this point, but he's definitely not a bust yet or anything close so it could be that those you call "jumping the gun" actually got a steal by acting so quickly. How about we let more than 1 season pass, especially 1 season where he didn't do anything poorly.
I think some people already paid a higher price for Morgan than what's probably warranted given what he's yet to really do.He may pan out, but I don't think anyone around here could possibly think his value is worth what it was prior to Crabtree being drafted.

I think some people already paid a higher price for Morgan than what's probably warranted given what he's yet to really do.He may pan out, but I don't think anyone around here could possibly think his value is worth what it was prior to Crabtree being drafted.
Not sure what other people paid, but I paid almost nothing for him back in February.

Not sure what other people paid, but I paid almost nothing for him back in February.
Hes been sitting on my TS since last preseason, so yeah, some people didnt waste anything. My take on him is that at worst, he will be the WR2 there. Might not happen this year with Bruce still there, but he will definitely get more chancesthis year. If he makes the most of those chances, he should have decent value next year. I just hope Shaun Hill puts together a decent year and builds chemistry with the young guys.

:thumbdown: In most cases that I saw, Morgan was going for wayyyy too high of a price when compared to his performance.

Am I crazy to think Crabtree may be a good thing for Josh Morgan? I mean, I get that he won't have a shot to be the WR1 anymore, but being the complimentary guy may be a good thing for him. He's still got big play making capabilities, but his skill set may be better utilized in a 4-6 target way on gameday instead of being the #1.

Am I crazy to think Crabtree may be a good thing for Josh Morgan? I mean, I get that he won't have a shot to be the WR1 anymore, but being the complimentary guy may be a good thing for him. He's still got big play making capabilities, but his skill set may be better utilized in a 4-6 target way on gameday instead of being the #1.
I don't think so.Morgan is not a little guy at 220 lbs so it's not like he's a quick "gadget" type of WR. I'm also guessing that there are limited touches available in the passing game with Hill at QB and Singletary as coach. The 49ers aren't the Cardinals here.

After the draft Morgan stuck out to me as one of the guys whose immediate fantasy fortune was effected most negatively by the draft.

Hes been sitting on my TS since last preseason, so yeah, some people didnt waste anything. My take on him is that at worst, he will be the WR2 there. Might not happen this year with Bruce still there, but he will definitely get more chancesthis year. If he makes the most of those chances, he should have decent value next year. I just hope Shaun Hill puts together a decent year and builds chemistry with the young guys.
Me too.

What were people paying that was too much?

I picked him up on waivers early in the season in a competitive 12 team league that start 3-4 WRs. In my other dynasty league I picked him up on waivers in July before the season. At no time did anybody offer me anything for him.

As far as his spot on the team, he is significantly better than Jason Hill. I liked Hill going into last season, but he looked slow to me on the field. Morgan looks much better.

I think Brandon Jones is a solid player when healthy, but not a fantasy option.

We'll see if San Fran chooses to get their best players on the field... if so, Morgan will be their WR2.

I don't think so.Morgan is not a little guy at 220 lbs so it's not like he's a quick "gadget" type of WR. I'm also guessing that there are limited touches available in the passing game with Hill at QB and Singletary as coach. The 49ers aren't the Cardinals here.

After the draft Morgan stuck out to me as one of the guys whose immediate fantasy fortune was effected most negatively by the draft.
I don't think he's a gadget guy by any means, I think he's a vertical threat. He looked best last season when he was sent down field. I, too, think the Niner offense will be much closer to the vest in the near future but when they do take shots I expect them to go to Morgan. We'll see if he continues to develop (in that facet and others alike), if he doesn't take to that role he may not be worth much short term but given what I paid for him (late rounds of rookie drafts last year - not sure why anyone thinks many Morgan owners paid up for his services) I won't be heartbroken.

If only they had a reliable QB and an offense that was not run first with Gore.
What's wrong with Hill? He stepped up and played well at the end of 2007, got a raw deal from Martz, then when Martz's pet project failed stepped up and played well at the end of 2008. He's never going to be a fantasy stud, but I think he has the makings of being an effective QB, which is all any decent WR needs.

EBF said:
Raider Nation said:
He was (and still is) going very high in drafts for a 6th round pick who caught 15 balls as a rookie.He showed promise last year, but really didn't look like a can't-miss prospect or even a lock to be a quality starter. I think people definitely jumped the gun drafting him as high as they did (see: Sidney Rice circa 2008). That doesn't mean he can't eventually become a good player, but I don't think he did enough to warrant the hype he was getting.

Last edited by a moderator:
EBF said:
Raider Nation said:
BUMP

With the addition of Crabtree, is this guy now an afterthought or does he still have some value late in a draft?
He was (and still is) going very high in drafts for a 6th round pick who caught 15 balls as a rookie.He showed promise last year, but really didn't look like a can't-miss prospect or even a lock to be a quality starter.

I think people definitely jumped the gun drafting him as high as they did (see: Sidney Rice circa 2008). That doesn't mean he can't eventually become a good player, but I don't think he did enough to warrant the hype he was getting.
He just went in the 10th round on the Hyper side at WR46. He just went in the 9th round on the Active side at WR46.

I'm curious how being drafted as WR46 is "very high". That thinking boggles my mind. Especially when guys like Brandon Tate, Devin Thomas, and Steve Smith (NYG) are going ahead of him. Sure, he still has to prove something, but so does most everyone around that range.

We're not talking about a guy being picked in the WR2/WR3 range here. So which drafts, exactly is he going "very high" in? Or do you consider WR46 very high?

Of note, he caught 20 balls, not 15. And this 6th round pick was slated to be WR1 before they drafted Crabtree. I've read nothing but positive things about him coming out of SF and he looks to be getting a good bit of playing time and likely starting. With that being the case, draft position is irrelevant.

No one is calling him a "can't-miss" prospect. I still don't see the "jumping the gun" taking him at WR46. I mean, he's no Brandon Tate or anything, but not everyone can be.

He just went in the 10th round on the Hyper side at WR46. He just went in the 9th round on the Active side at WR46.I'm curious how being drafted as WR46 is "very high". That thinking boggles my mind. Especially when guys like Brandon Tate, Devin Thomas, and Steve Smith (NYG) are going ahead of him. Sure, he still has to prove something, but so does most everyone around that range.
WR46 is very high for a 6th round pick with 20 career catches. Most of the players picked in that range have a stronger track record and/or a better pedigree. The three players you mentioned were all more highly-regarded than Morgan by NFL scouts. Thomas and Smith were 2nd round picks. Tate was a 3rd round pick despite torn knee ligaments and failed drug test.
We're not talking about a guy being picked in the WR2/WR3 range here. So which drafts, exactly is he going "very high" in? Or do you consider WR46 very high? Of note, he caught 20 balls, not 15. And this 6th round pick was slated to be WR1 before they drafted Crabtree. I've read nothing but positive things about him coming out of SF and he looks to be getting a good bit of playing time and likely starting. With that being the case, draft position is irrelevant. No one is calling him a "can't-miss" prospect. I still don't see the "jumping the gun" taking him at WR46. I mean, he's no Brandon Tate or anything, but not everyone can be.
I think he's been a reach at his ADP the entire offseason, particularly before the 49ers took Crabtree. There's not enough substance there to justify the cost. He didn't have great production and he wasn't considered a special player entering the league. There's no objective reason to believe he's a special talent worth picking as high as he's been going.He's an interesting sleeper candidate, but there are lots of those guys and most of them don't cost as much.

He just went in the 10th round on the Hyper side at WR46. He just went in the 9th round on the Active side at WR46.I'm curious how being drafted as WR46 is "very high". That thinking boggles my mind. Especially when guys like Brandon Tate, Devin Thomas, and Steve Smith (NYG) are going ahead of him. Sure, he still has to prove something, but so does most everyone around that range.
WR46 is very high for a 6th round pick with 20 career catches. Most of the players picked in that range have a stronger track record and/or a better pedigree. The three players you mentioned were all more highly-regarded than Morgan by NFL scouts. Thomas and Smith were 2nd round picks. Tate was a 3rd round pick despite torn knee ligaments and failed drug test.
We're not talking about a guy being picked in the WR2/WR3 range here. So which drafts, exactly is he going "very high" in? Or do you consider WR46 very high? Of note, he caught 20 balls, not 15. And this 6th round pick was slated to be WR1 before they drafted Crabtree. I've read nothing but positive things about him coming out of SF and he looks to be getting a good bit of playing time and likely starting. With that being the case, draft position is irrelevant. No one is calling him a "can't-miss" prospect. I still don't see the "jumping the gun" taking him at WR46. I mean, he's no Brandon Tate or anything, but not everyone can be.
I think he's been a reach at his ADP the entire offseason, particularly before the 49ers took Crabtree. There's not enough substance there to justify the cost. He didn't have great production and he wasn't considered a special player entering the league. There's no objective reason to believe he's a special talent worth picking as high as he's been going.He's an interesting sleeper candidate, but there are lots of those guys and most of them don't cost as much.
In my hybrid keeper-auction league (keep 6, auction on all remaining FAs, rookie draft), we have our free agent auction in February/March each year. This year, Josh Morgan went for the same price as Jason Hill, Domenik Hixon, Brandon Jones, Nate Washington, Greg Camarillo. He went for ~1/2 price of Michael Jenkins and Justin Gage, and 1/3 the price of Deion Branch.I don't think that indicates a player who is dramatically overvalued.

I agree Morgan has been a reach at his ADP (late 6th to late 7th) before the Niners drafted Crabtree. Post-NFL draft, his ADP has been in the late 10th/11th, and i believe that's just about right. WRs taken after him include Mark Clayton, Devin Thomas, Kevin Walter, Jordy, Austin Miles, Driver, Mike Walker etc etc.Limited time, 3 TDs in 20 receptions. I believe this is the case whether you believe in his talent/playmaking ability in the limited time he's got, OR you think what he's shown is just a fluke. I tend to think he's the real deal and could be a very legit WR2, maybe even 1B to Crabtree in the future.

12 team, 25 man rosters, we cut down to 19 and I think he is getting the axe for my team. Its him or gostkowski and I'm leaning towards keeping the kicker.

In my hybrid keeper-auction league (keep 6, auction on all remaining FAs, rookie draft), we have our free agent auction in February/March each year. This year, Josh Morgan went for the same price as Jason Hill, Domenik Hixon, Brandon Jones, Nate Washington, Greg Camarillo. He went for ~1/2 price of Michael Jenkins and Justin Gage, and 1/3 the price of Deion Branch.I don't think that indicates a player who is dramatically overvalued.
I have yet to see where Morgan has been "overvalued". He fits in that category at or just below guys like Hester where they have a whole lot of potential, but you're not going to get the value that you want out of them if you're trying to deal them off. As for average draft position, when you get down to WR40, no one is being overvalued. Personally, I like Morgan even more with Crabtree in the mix, but only time will tell if he can truly develop into a solid fantasy contributor.

I have yet to see where Morgan has been "overvalued". He fits in that category at or just below guys like Hester where they have a whole lot of potential, but you're not going to get the value that you want out of them if you're trying to deal them off. As for average draft position, when you get down to WR40, no one is being overvalued. Personally, I like Morgan even more with Crabtree in the mix, but only time will tell if he can truly develop into a solid fantasy contributor.
Yeah, I don't see how Crabtree hurts Morgan's value. If he isn't good enough to beat out Isaac Bruce, Jason Hill, Brandon Jones, and Arnaz Battle in 2009 or 2010, then he probably wouldn't have been that great as the 49ers #2 WR or fantasy WR either.

12 team, 25 man rosters, we cut down to 19 and I think he is getting the axe for my team. Its him or gostkowski and I'm leaning towards keeping the kicker.
:shock:
eh your probably right... that said he's my #7 receiver behind moss, fitz, marshall, berrian, evans and moore. I can't even get a 4th round pick for him and I don't really want to carry 7 receivers. I should have tried harder to trade him before the draft, his value just nosedived in my league anyways.

I don't think I'd fall over myself to trade for Josh Morgan, but I got him at pick 37 last year in a rookie draft. Reasonable in my mind. I think he's got a solid shot this year to be good.

After reading this thread, one thing struck me. Absolutely everyone here is assuming that Crabtree is legit. Its seems everyone has labeled him the present and future #1 WR for the 49ers.

He was an excellent college WR. How that will translate to the pros once he gets millions of dollars in his pocket remains to be seen. The list is quite long of NFL busts, and WR seems to be a position that has hit big on the bust meter recently.

Will he put in the time to learn the playbook? How about keeping himself in elite physical condition? Will he watch the film necessary? Can he beat NFL corners deep?

Those are some of the questions yet to be answered about Crabtree. To me, its very conceivable that Jason Hill or Josh Morgan could be the #1 WR for the 49ers in the present and the future.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread