What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Is the first half of life better than the second half? (1 Viewer)

Is the first half of life better than the second half?

• Yes

Votes: 49 38.9%
  • No

Votes: 45 35.7%
  • :shrug:

Votes: 32 25.4%

• Total voters
You have a loving family.   You have (from what I can see from afar) healthy, happy girls growing up.  You can afford amazing new toys and experiences.  You should have the potential to be able to retire young (or at least, not-old). You're likely going to have grandkids down the road.  You'll have people to change your diaper when you start peeing yourself in in about 4 years.  

Oh Boo-hoo, you don't get to chase after bar sluts anymore.  Boo-hoo, it's been 12 years since you took @Righetti to the hospital because he knocked out 6 teeth after faceplanting when a sweet ### Warrant song came on at some jabronie's wedding.

Cheer up GB OATS.   It's what you make of it.   
:lmao:

Don't get me wrong here, GB.  This isn't about my longing for the past or any unhappiness.  If I could freeze my life where it is right this moment and keep it forever, I'd be incredibly thrilled.  I'm blessed beyond belief and quite  happy -- happier than any other stage in my life.  Just a thought that occurred to me, comparing 0-45 with 46-90.  

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Smile
Reactions: jwb
If you haven't read it, you should read Siddhartha. If you have read it, you should read it again. I find I get something new from it every time I read it - which makes perfect sense given the material.

I don't know if someone has mentioned it already but it's called the happiness curve and it's pretty well researched

you start out happy then get less and less happy until you hit your fifties and then you start getting happy again

If you haven't read it, you should read Siddhartha. If you have read it, you should read it again. I find I get something new from it every time I read it - which makes perfect sense given the material.
❤️ this book. I've read it many times. 

It introduced me to eastern thought/philosophy in my soph year of HS. 

Thanks for the reminder. It has been too long since I last read it. 

👍

❤️ this book. I've read it many times. 

It introduced me to eastern thought/philosophy in my soph year of HS. 

Thanks for the reminder. It has been too long since I last read it. 

👍
I still struggle to really comprehend the notion that your life (and time in general) can be experienced and perceived as both continuous and discrete all at once. But that notion still resonates with me, even if I don't fully understand it.

You should have the potential to be able to retire young (or at least, not-old).

Yea, Otis is def a saver. Isn't he the guy that thought a 6 figure Ford pickup is a good idea? 

I get the sense that while Otis earns, Otis also spends. 4 daughters, right?  He'll foot the bill for every one of their weddings, and I expect him to do those big. 100 people, low key, yea okay  :lol:

4 weddings, split between the Waldorf and Montauk Yacht Club, 400 guests a piece - I'm thinking that'll set Otis back about 7 years on retirement in itself. Prob a vacation house to make sure his daughters stay close when their older. 

He'll die in his office, living a good 2nd half, but with 7 mortgages on 2 houses. 

2 happiest days of my life, the only times I can actually recall crying from pure happiness, both when my sons were born. A 3rd would be my wedding day, hello Mrs. FC 😃...

I've been much more tired between 29-35 over the last 6 years since my first son was born. It is hard to really judge if the 2nd half will be better or worse. The lows sometimes feel so low, and I feel so worn out, but the highs are equivalent on the opposite end of that. 

I honestly expect as I age for the lows and highs to continue like that, but I can't imagine a high as high as when my first son was born.

Some people can complain, lament and dwell on regrets making both halves equally miserable.  

For me, while I had peaks and valleys in the first half, I'm making sure to enjoy the second half even more.  Nothing wrong with remembering the "good ole days", but, if you start dwelling in the past you (and those around you) will not enjoy the second half.  

I still struggle to really comprehend the notion that your life (and time in general) can be experienced and perceived as both continuous and discrete all at once. But that notion still resonates with me, even if I don't fully understand it.
I struggle as well. 

At first, I tried to imagine it in terms of western physics - take time across its full domain - quantum phenomena - Yada Yada... 

While that produced some cool thought experiments, I never felt that it was adequate. 

Then I realized that it was futile to approach the concept from that perspective, even though it does add some weight. 

Looking at it from the eastern perspective was not natural to me, so it took a lot of fumbling around in the dark for a long while. 

I learned more, took up some eastern disciplines and after a while, came to believe that I would have to experience it in order to understand it. 

Well, I'm not awakened, but I've had some pretty crazy and wonderful experiences that have brought me closer to understanding. 

Not sure if I ever will understand, but I don't know if that's the true goal for me anymore. 

Lately, I've been more focused on being - in the hopes that it would serve me better. 

That doesn't mean that I've given up on understanding, rather it is more a dessert - if I get lucky - than a meal. 

Hope that makes sense. Thnx for the sub-topic. 

🙂

One thing tipping my score: Sex. Literally hundreds of partners before age 50, three since and none the last decade because i retired from sex when i got fat in order not to insult the art..

I done better things, i done worse things, but i never enjoyed anything more than figuring out a new paramour. I knew early on that finding someone who would abide me, abet me, abuse me for all my days was unlikely to happen, mostly because i've yet to meet a human i'm not entirely sick of after six weeks close contact. Even with my Mary - we just had our six weeks (she was the same way) 30some times over the years and that string of been-there balls ruined us for everyone else. But all the other chains of attraction/desire/connection/conquer/concupiscence/connubia/curiosity/closeness/compatibility/coupling/convention contention/coocoo/caca/cab put all other triumphs and tribulations of life to shame. Shonuff miss it....

I struggle as well. 

At first, I tried to imagine it in terms of western physics - take time across its full domain - quantum phenomena - Yada Yada... 

While that produced some cool thought experiments, I never felt that it was adequate. 

Then I realized that it was futile to approach the concept from that perspective, even though it does add some weight. 

Looking at it from the eastern perspective was not natural to me, so it took a lot of fumbling around in the dark for a long while. 

I learned more, took up some eastern disciplines and after a while, came to believe that I would have to experience it in order to understand it. 

Well, I'm not awakened, but I've had some pretty crazy and wonderful experiences that have brought me closer to understanding. 

Not sure if I ever will understand, but I don't know if that's the true goal for me anymore. 

Lately, I've been more focused on being - in the hopes that it would serve me better. 

That doesn't mean that I've given up on understanding, rather it is more a dessert - if I get lucky - than a meal. 

Hope that makes sense. Thnx for the sub-topic. 

🙂
I think Hesse's river metaphor works really well. I just haven't been able to go beyond that to any deeper understanding. I have a hunch that maybe deeper understanding isn't necessary - that acceptance of the river along with the act of contemplation itself is "the thing".

Don't get me wrong here, GB.  This isn't about my longing for the past or any unhappiness.  If I could freeze my life where it is right this moment and keep it forever, I'd be incredibly thrilled.  I'm blessed beyond belief and quite  happy -- happier than any other stage in my life.  Just a thought that occurred to me, comparing 0-45 with 46-90.  
If you're counting this deep, I think the first half takes it.  Unless you are incredible lucky, 75-90 are going to suck.  Your freedom and income are going to be limited, unless you are one of the lucky few that remains healthy until the day you die from a heart attack without previous health issues, and you invested so wisely your fortune outlives you so you never have to worry about money.

I think it would be a more balanced comparison for 0-35 and 36-70 to allign with age expectancy, and to think anything past 70 that isn't health issue riddled is just gravy.

My parents are 74, and while they took relatively good care of themselves, and are still active and relatively healthy, I know thir time is limited and I wouldn't be shocked by anything bad happending tomorrow.

This isn't about my longing for the past or any unhappiness.  If I could freeze my life where it is right this moment and keep it forever, I'd be incredibly thrilled.  I'm blessed beyond belief and quite  happy -- happier than any other stage in my life.  Just a thought that occurred to me, comparing 0-45 with 46-90.  

I get it.  But, outside of being a zit-faced angsty 14 year old, I could probably say the same about most points in my life.  

at 6 I was crushing it on my Atari had neighborhood friends and was happy as a pig in ####. at 19 I was in in college having all the fun that should entail.  It was great. didnt want it to end.  at 25 I had just started dating the future MrsAhrn, and it was great. lock me right there and I'd be happy.     ~30 I got married and bought a house and had a pair of dogs and life was great.   at 38 we had a kid and life was great.  Nowadays watching my boy grow up and seeing him tune into the world is great and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

Point is, I don't know what 5,10,20 years down the road will bring but I have no reason to believe it won't be similarly rewarding.  

disclaimer: this may be the most pollyanna post I've ever typed out in my FBG career.   I better go throw a puppy in the sewer and step in front of a moving bus on the way home just to keep karma in check.  

If you're counting this deep, I think the first half takes it.  Unless you are incredible lucky, 75-90 are going to suck.  Your freedom and income are going to be limited, unless you are one of the lucky few that remains healthy until the day you die from a heart attack without previous health issues, and you invested so wisely your fortune outlives you so you never have to worry about money.

I think it would be a more balanced comparison for 0-35 and 36-70 to allign with age expectancy, and to think anything past 70 that isn't health issue riddled is just gravy.

My parents are 74, and while they took relatively good care of themselves, and are still active and relatively healthy, I know thir time is limited and I wouldn't be shocked by anything bad happending tomorrow.
Yeah I put the line at 40 (0-40/40-80) with the thought that it's possible to make it to 75 relatively healthy. Realistically though, you're right, anyone should be grateful to make it to 70 without a major issue.

I think Hesse's river metaphor works really well. I just haven't been able to go beyond that to any deeper understanding. I have a hunch that maybe deeper understanding isn't necessary - that acceptance of the river along with the act of contemplation itself is "the thing".
Yeah...I like that. Thnx. 

Acceptance is the perfect word...along with abide, dude. 😎

I'm glad you reminded me of the river. That really is a great metaphor. Can only step in it once, before it's another river - yet the same. 

Permanence in change - change perpetually - being/becoming/has been all at once - a river. 

Really, getting deeper than that is beyond me. 

But, I agree with you that the thing - for me - is the acceptance and contemplation. 

Imagine you have a day to live. You know it to a certainty that tomorrow at this time it's all over. What would you do?  Go sky diving?  Watch friends reruns? Argue politics on the internet? 

It's easy to answer "i'd spend time with my family and friends", for most of us.  

Now change it to a month.  You've got exactly one month left. What would you do?   If the answer is spend that time with family, do you take your kids out of school?  Ask your wife to miss work?  Do you burden them with the knowledge that you're dying, or do you spend time with them without spoiling it? 

Now make it six months.  You really can't hold your family hostage for half a year for your entertainment before you go.  You want them to enjoy their lives.  But you know it's coming to an end. So you want to spend time with them, but you also want to do some of your own things.  Knock off some items on your bucket list.  Keep yourself occupied.  

Now it's six months but you're in failing health.  You're not confined to a bed right now, but you've got some pain, and you don't know what the last days will look like but you want to make the most of the time you have now. How does that change your priorities?   Do you travel now?  Go do that thing you always wanted to do? 

Now make it an unknown amount of time. It could be tomorrow or 50 years from now but it's coming.  And unless you do something to change, this is the best health you'll be in for the rest of your life.  What are you doing right now?  

I don't know if someone has mentioned it already but it's called the happiness curve and it's pretty well researched

you start out happy then get less and less happy until you hit your fifties and then you start getting happy again
Really interesting -- never knew about this.

Now make it an unknown amount of time. It could be tomorrow or 50 years from now but it's coming.  And unless you do something to change, this is the best health you'll be in for the rest of your life.  What are you doing right now?  
:goodposting:

Yea, Otis is def a saver. Isn't he the guy that thought a 6 figure Ford pickup is a good idea? 

I get the sense that while Otis earns, Otis also spends. 4 daughters, right?  He'll foot the bill for every one of their weddings, and I expect him to do those big. 100 people, low key, yea okay  :lol:

4 weddings, split between the Waldorf and Montauk Yacht Club, 400 guests a piece - I'm thinking that'll set Otis back about 7 years on retirement in itself. Prob a vacation house to make sure his daughters stay close when their older. 

He'll die in his office, living a good 2nd half, but with 7 mortgages on 2 houses. 
Jesus, thanks. 

Imagine you have a day to live. You know it to a certainty that tomorrow at this time it's all over. What would you do?  Go sky diving?  Watch friends reruns? Argue politics on the internet? 

It's easy to answer "i'd spend time with my family and friends", for most of us.  

Now change it to a month.  You've got exactly one month left. What would you do?   If the answer is spend that time with family, do you take your kids out of school?  Ask your wife to miss work?  Do you burden them with the knowledge that you're dying, or do you spend time with them without spoiling it? 

Now make it six months.  You really can't hold your family hostage for half a year for your entertainment before you go.  You want them to enjoy their lives.  But you know it's coming to an end. So you want to spend time with them, but you also want to do some of your own things.  Knock off some items on your bucket list.  Keep yourself occupied.  

Now it's six months but you're in failing health.  You're not confined to a bed right now, but you've got some pain, and you don't know what the last days will look like but you want to make the most of the time you have now. How does that change your priorities?   Do you travel now?  Go do that thing you always wanted to do? 

Here's the rub, I can cash out savings/investments to get by for six months trying to enjoy my last days. I can't cash out not knowing when that day is coming if it won't be for 40 more years.  Having to keep that job really changes that "what are you doing" question and limits the options for the last one.  Because of that, my answer is "plugging along doing what I have to do, so that I can do what I want to do in my free time."

Here's the rub, I can cash out savings/investments to get by for six months trying to enjoy my last days. I can't cash out not knowing when that day is coming if it won't be for 40 more years.  Having to keep that job really changes that "what are you doing" question and limits the options for the last one.  Because of that, my answer is "plugging along doing what I have to do, so that I can do what I want to do in my free time."
This is me. I want to be retired at 60 with the goal of living to 80. I kind of have those numbers in the back of my head. While I won't be able to physically do most of the stuff I can do now, I can hopefully live from 60ish to 72/75ish carefree - I'd hope those are good times. While being carefree in the same way I was when I was a little kid, I'll have money to enjoy myself, but I won't have the abilities to do the same things I did when I was a kid, nor the childish innocence to understand how ####ed up this planet really is. When I think about it like that, those retirement years are prob good, but hard to top the years as a youth. 

I get it.  But, outside of being a zit-faced angsty 14 year old, I could probably say the same about most points in my life.  

at 6 I was crushing it on my Atari had neighborhood friends and was happy as a pig in ####. at 19 I was in in college having all the fun that should entail.  It was great. didnt want it to end.  at 25 I had just started dating the future MrsAhrn, and it was great. lock me right there and I'd be happy.     ~30 I got married and bought a house and had a pair of dogs and life was great.   at 38 we had a kid and life was great.  Nowadays watching my boy grow up and seeing him tune into the world is great and I wouldn't trade it for anything.  

Point is, I don't know what 5,10,20 years down the road will bring but I have no reason to believe it won't be similarly rewarding.  

disclaimer: this may be the most pollyanna post I've ever typed out in my FBG career.   I better go throw a puppy in the sewer and step in front of a moving bus on the way home just to keep karma in check.  
That was beautiful, man.

So my second half started with both my parents, a couple aunts and uncles, and my best friend dying.  So, I'd say so far, the first half wins by default.  Second half blows chunks.  I've also come to the realization that with 7/8 of my previous generation gone that my second half probably started at about 30, not 40.  That also sucks balls.  There is nothing redeeming about my last decade.

So, yeah, plop me back in college so I can happily take classes (was good at those), play soccer (good at that), and chase girls (sucked at that, but it was fun).

I will admit, I had fun in the first half of my life.  However, I got married and had children when I was young (early 20s) so money was tight.  Went through a divorce in my early 30s.  Got married again in my late 30s.  I am going to have to say I think the 2nd half of my like will be better.  I now have 3 children in their 20s, someday grandkids will be on the way, which will mean I get to spend completely fun time with them, then send them home with Mom and Dad.  I still have 2 children at home yet (16 and 11) but I am thinking I will be fairly young when they go out on their own (hopefully).   I make a lot more money than I did in my 20s which allows us to do more things that we want to without worrying about finances. I have a great wife who I have been married to for 13 years and the plan is to stay married so I will have a partner that I enjoy spending time with to spend the rest of my 2nd half of life with.

On March 1, I had a an old client call me and tell me that her parents wanted to sell their house because her dad was just told he had six months to live.  I met with them two days later. He was surprisingly in a good mood and wanted to take care of the sale now as most of the proceeds would be going to build a mother-in-law suite at his daughters home.

He wanted to take care of his wife before he passed.  How cool. The home was just too big for her to take care of.

Listing was signed, pictures set for Wednesday AM and listing to go live Thursday AM.    I get a call Tuesday morning as the two sisters were dusting and cleaning up the home (it was in very nice shape for a 1960's built home).  For some reason, the sight of his daughters cleaning and getting the home ready  for sale overwhelmed him to the point he started having medical issues and he was admitted to the hospital.  He was there for ten days and is home again and I was told yesterday doing ok. 

The home had been in their family like 45 years and it was just too much for him to take. So sad. Such a nice guy. 

So far, yes.  Second half could be amazing if you set things up right.  Other life factors can, or course, get in the way (e.g. health, being with the wrong woman)
Yes. 

Which half is "better" largely depends on where you start in each. 

You have no control over where you start in the first half and you develop/ take greater control throughout.  If your first half was awesome, thank your parents (mostly). 

Mine was pretty good, not epically phenomenal but 8/10. Dealt witg mild depression for a lot of it but learned to handle it and mostly made the most of it. 

I'm starting the second half in a really good spot, not perfect but life is pretty darn good. 

We reap what we sow. When we're children we reap what our parents have sown. If they are happy, well-adjusted people with their priorities in order, childhood will likely be pretty good. If they are unhappy, addicted or are dealing with their own issues (usually stemming from childhood) then it might not be so great.

When we reach our adult years, we are reaping what we've sown the decades prior. What kinds of decisions have we made? What kind of spouse did we choose? How much did we save? Did we deal with our issues? Are we addicted? Depressed? Checked out? Do we take care of ourselves physically, emotionally and spiritually? Do we value our children over our career? Are we in a healthy place? Have we created a loving and safe space for our children to develop?

The answers to those questions will largely determine the next couple of decades. If we did things the right way in early/mid adulthood I think there's tons of satisfaction gained from watching your children grow into adults, have children of their own and repeat the process. Not to mention enjoying a more leisurely pace to life in retirement. If we don't raise our children properly or save for retirement etc. there can be a lot of regret and heartache looking back on how we've lived our life.
Well said. 

I fully expect most of our second half to be really good. I'm hoping looking back I'll rate it as an 8 or better. There are tough times for sure, but also some really awesome times. Many of the great are family related. 

At this point do what you can to keep things great, keep setting your conditions for the best - emotionally, mentally, physically, financially. Enjoy the moment.  

We reap what we sow. When we're children we reap what our parents have sown. If they are happy, well-adjusted people with their priorities in order, childhood will likely be pretty good. If they are unhappy, addicted or are dealing with their own issues (usually stemming from childhood) then it might not be so great.

When we reach our adult years, we are reaping what we've sown the decades prior. What kinds of decisions have we made? What kind of spouse did we choose? How much did we save? Did we deal with our issues? Are we addicted? Depressed? Checked out? Do we take care of ourselves physically, emotionally and spiritually? Do we value our children over our career? Are we in a healthy place? Have we created a loving and safe space for our children to develop?

The answers to those questions will largely determine the next couple of decades. If we did things the right way in early/mid adulthood I think there's tons of satisfaction gained from watching your children grow into adults, have children of their own and repeat the process. Not to mention enjoying a more leisurely pace to life in retirement. If we don't raise our children properly or save for retirement etc. there can be a lot of regret and heartache looking back on how we've lived our life.
Excellent post.  Agree with every word.  That being said people can course correct and overcome.

Every day is a gift and I try to live that way.  I didn't grow up in a great environment but loved my childhood nonetheless.  If I wasn't an athlete I don't know if I would have liked it so much.  But those years were great.  Loved making a family and raising the kids.  My satisfaction with my career ebbed a few times but it all worked out.  Now I'm really content knowing that I raised 3 great kids who are doing well as young adults, I still love my life, have been successful in my career and have a really big circle of friends.  That took work.  I'm the organizer so I put together the annual 24 guy golf trip, the couples trips to Vegas, you name it.  I'm rich with relationships so I'm liking the 2nd half.  Probably I just feel more comfortable in my own skin now.  Friendships matter a lot to me.  Even my innerweb FBG friends.

Health is the real wealth though.  So how long in the 2nd half I'll feel that way depends on that.  Looking forward to having my first grandchild in August.  Committed to being fit and putting odds in my favor while I'm still here.

Big benefit of the second half: Grandchildren (now have two grandsons - 2 1/4 year old and 6 month old).  They bring unbelievable joy.  Another benefit is peace of mind ...house is paid off; kids are doing well and in solid relationships; I know I won't be looking for another job (and enjoy the university gig I have now).  Life is more streamlined, in that sense.  

But all in all, the first half is probably better - more dynamic; more unpredictable; more fun.

Congrats in advance, @Judge Smails !!

Judge Smails said:
Excellent post.  Agree with every word.  That being said people can course correct and overcome.

Regarding the bolded: absolutely. We are all a work in progress and nobody is going to do everything perfectly. I have a couple of close friends that grew up in abusive environments, were a complete mess in early adulthood but have cleaned up their acts, fixed their relationships with their kids and spouse and are different people today than they were 5 years ago.

Jerking it to internet porn.  I think I do that in most of these scenarios so it’s definitely on the list.  And spending time with friends and family - that too.

I'd pass on making all those mistakes I made the first half, and it's  far better to know things than learn things. Now add far more $$$$$$$ in the second half.

BUT....do miss the sports and that constant quest for Miss Tonight was fun.

Users who are viewing this thread