What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Crowell (2 Viewers)

I dropped this guy after West got the head job. I am really regretting it now.

I really need to stop making dumb decisions.

If he is truly going to get all the carries then hes probably top 5 this season.

Lots of mixed signals today, a different tweet from Nate Ulrich has this:

Will Tate start once back from injury?#Browns RB coach Montgomery:"That's what we brought Tate here for, to be the starter.He's the No.1 RB"

I think people need to temper their enthusiasm a touch with Crowell to be honest. He's got two very good competitors for carries there. He's got character issues.

I honestly think people need to slow down with the shoveling of dirt onto Tate's grave. Ben Tate won this starting job coming out of the preseason, to the tune of being declared their 3 down workhorse. I know, the durability is and will continue to be a concern, but Tate was off to a fine start when he did get hurt. I can't see them just tossing Tate aside when he does return. Crowell, and to a lesser extent, West, have earned more touches... but I doubt Tate will be relegated to watching the other 2 on Sundays. I'm guessing we are heading for a muddy RBBC, where it'll be tough to pick a fantasy starter on any given week.

• Smile
Reactions: RBM
i dropped Crowell in a couple of redrafts thinking after the Bye Tate would resume the lead role... and today I was able to add him back without burning WW priority or $.

always loved his talent and drafted him in a couple dynasty leagues. There were always red flags about his character, which is probably why he went undrafted. But we're past that now... and as long as he doesn't pull a Britt/Gordon and hang out with knuckle heads, I am optimistic

Crowell is the best of the 3 but so many times you see coaches play the guy they paid the big $ too. Then you see them get fired down the road as their stupidity catches up with them.

Im cautiously optimistic on what Crowell will do once Tate returns.
Crowell could potentially control the situation based on his next performance in a full time role.

Im considering the fact that Tate may return as planned, but not be ready for more then a few test runs.

Lets not forget the run game could go how the Browns Go too.. A Browns Win could be a game approaching X amt of carrys for Crowell (closer roll)..

p.s. Our reporter (Twitter) appears to be using more than one Coach! The HC reports is what has Sig in a positive mood 99% of WW Que at RB will be answered Crowell (except Chargers Brown)

Looks like somebody is on board

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 10m
And now we are seeing some signs that #browns recognize what they have in him. May not take injuries for Crowell to climb that mountain.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 1m
@OrdioMongo CLE looks like they may have the best running game in the league and crowell's talent can create its own opportunity

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 6m
with no remorse RT @Kripple1301 drop Gerhart for Crowell?

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 9m
crowell over tate, yes RT @DcmRulz even over Ben Tate? (In a league where someone just cut him)

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 12m
I don't know if events needed for Crowell to get lead role will unfold, but if they do, season-changer. FF RB1.

Sigmund Bloom@SigmundBloom 13m
If you're asking me Crowell or _____ on the WW this week, 99% answer is crowell. donald brown over him, that's about it.
Bump

He is still out there on mine.

Tempted to drop the mess that is Rainey (just hope Martin comes back and takes that job back) and keep Crowell stashed.

I think that rush offense is nice to be a part of...had West til this week and with the bye dropped him to hop on board the DeAngelo Train at least to see how he does in the coming weeks with no real comptetition.

I hope so. I was starting to worry about West and missing him.

I have Foster and Peterson so I need this. I also have Tate but I dont have West. I also dont have Blue so I REALLY could use a healthy Foster & Crowell or Tate combo to get my running game going.

So I'll try to word this in a non-AC post kind of way.

If you have guys with a low ceiling but high floor on your bench that should only be needed in case of injuries or bye weeks, would you drop them for someone like Crowell?

Ps. I'm specifically referencing MJD but any guy that fits that mold is the broader question.

If you have guys with a low ceiling but high floor on your bench that should only be needed in case of injuries or bye weeks, would you drop them for someone like Crowell?

Ps. I'm specifically referencing MJD but any guy that fits that mold is the broader question.
I'm not certain MJD would fit that description since we have not yet seen what he is capable of this year.

But someone like Steven Jackson if he were just sitting on my bench yes I would drop for Crowell. The upside is just too great combined with increasing probability he'll take over as lead back. If I went zero RB and had SJax as my RB2 with a strong WR corps I'd think a little harder.

Worst case come bye week just pick up a plodder like Shonn Greene and he'll get 80% of a high floor guy like SJax would have gotten.

If you don't think your high floor/low ceiling guy is going to win you a championship he probably won't do it for someone else either. On the other hand, if this is a guy that is going to win you that *one* game because of bye weeks, injury, etc. I tend to like the safe choice.

Clear as mud, eh?

I think I'd drop MJD for Crowell personally, but it would depend who my starters are and where I am in the standings. Right now I could use a jolt on the team he's on.

If you don't think your high floor/low ceiling guy is going to win you a championship he probably won't do it for someone else either. On the other hand, if this is a guy that is going to win you that *one* game because of bye weeks, injury, etc. I tend to like the safe choice.

Clear as mud, eh?

I think I'd drop MJD for Crowell personally, but it would depend who my starters are and where I am in the standings. Right now I could use a jolt on the team he's on.
Yeah that's how I'm leaning. Just like the other guy said, SJax would be in the same boat. If you're starting him any more than a bye week fill in or injury fill in then you're in bad shape anyways. Crowell has the chance of being a difference maker. Yes the chance is probably not that high but if he does take the job then you're golden.

Isaiah Crowell worked ahead of Terrance West at Browns practice Wednesday.
Crowell pretty severely outplayed West in Cleveland's first three games. With Ben Tate (knee) on the exercise bike during the Browns' bye-week practice, Crowell was the first tailback through the rotation, with West working in second. It certainly sounds like Crowell is passing West on the depth chart. "If a guy’s been productive, you find ways to get him on the field more," coach Mike Pettine said. "That’s a good problem to have. When you have a back, who before the season you weren’t factoring in on being a big part of what you’re doing, and he’s being productive, you find ways to get him out there."

I dropped Crowell for Moreno. Kicking myself after all the tweets we saw today, but I still think Moreno has less competition for carries when he comes back. Although miller finally looked good last week.

My league also has short benches, otherwise he'd still be rostered on my team.

I honestly think people need to slow down with the shoveling of dirt onto Tate's grave. Ben Tate won this starting job coming out of the preseason, to the tune of being declared their 3 down workhorse. I know, the durability is and will continue to be a concern, but Tate was off to a fine start when he did get hurt. I can't see them just tossing Tate aside when he does return. Crowell, and to a lesser extent, West, have earned more touches... but I doubt Tate will be relegated to watching the other 2 on Sundays. I'm guessing we are heading for a muddy RBBC, where it'll be tough to pick a fantasy starter on any given week.
it's the fantasy GMs who, in part , have had Tate on their rosters that can provide the feedback that Tate supporters don't want to hear: he was given a number of opportunities in Hou to take over for an injured Foster.he didnt just fail,he got hurt or just underwhelmed, or failed miserably..he is a bust of an NFL player. Even if he 'starts' West and Crowell will win over, and Tate will once again get hurt..please, take it from a former Tate apologist/supporter - he sucks.

I found the following article via another forum, and I'm not sure it's from a reputable reporter or site. But is it possible that Bloom/ Rotoworld are victims of confirmation bias, as the article states that the RB coach rotates the RBs during practice regularly and nothing should be inferred from Crowell going first.

I want to add Crowell, but I'm hesitant since I will have to drop a good player (Torrey Smith or Justin Hunter) to do so.

Will Tate Start?: RB Ben Tate (knee), OL John Greco, DL John Hughes and DL Calvin Barnett were on the stationary bikes during the part of practice open to the media.

Pettine mentioned that he wasn’t sure that Tate would be ready for when the team plays the Titans.

RB Isaiah Crowell took reps with the first team during the portion of practice open to the media. However, Pettine said RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery rotates the backs around and nothing should be read into it.

Montgomery was asked if Tate would be the starter when he returns.

“We brought him in to be the starting running back.”
http://profootball.scout.com/story/1455105-coaches-confident-in-haden?s=127

This is probably covered earlier in this thread but what were the character issues with Crowell?
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2014/05/former_alabama_state_rb_isaiah_1.html
This article makes his "issues" basically sound like wrong place, wrong time.
Ok this is more detailed:

Sounds like a "hot" weapon. Just stupid young kid stuff.

http://m.espn.go.com/ncf/story?storyId=8111289&src=desktop

I found the following article via another forum, and I'm not sure it's from a reputable reporter or site. But is it possible that Bloom/ Rotoworld are victims of confirmation bias, as the article states that the RB coach rotates the RBs during practice regularly and nothing should be inferred from Crowell going first.

I want to add Crowell, but I'm hesitant since I will have to drop a good player (Torrey Smith or Justin Hunter) to do so.

Will Tate Start?: RB Ben Tate (knee), OL John Greco, DL John Hughes and DL Calvin Barnett were on the stationary bikes during the part of practice open to the media.

Pettine mentioned that he wasn’t sure that Tate would be ready for when the team plays the Titans.

RB Isaiah Crowell took reps with the first team during the portion of practice open to the media. However, Pettine said RB Coach Wilbert Montgomery rotates the backs around and nothing should be read into it.

Montgomery was asked if Tate would be the starter when he returns.

“We brought him in to be the starting running back.”
http://profootball.scout.com/story/1455105-coaches-confident-in-haden?s=127

Pettine mentioned that he wasn’t sure that Tate would be ready for when the team plays the Titans

Drafted Tate and West, and am seriously considering dropping West for Crowell this week. Can't roster all 3 right now due to bye issues.

Last edited by a moderator:
Tate's carries vs PIT:

1 9:52 0 - 3 1st-and-10 own 25 rushed for 2 yards 1 9:25 0 - 3 2nd-and-8 own 27 rushed for 7 yards 1 0:44 3 - 10 1st-and-10 own 14 rushed for -1 yards 2 9:36 3 - 17 2nd-and-10 own 9 rushed for 5 yards 2 7:40 3 - 24 1st-and-10 own 9 rushed for 3 yards 2 7:04 3 - 24 2nd-and-7 own 12 rushed for 25 yards (first down)
He had 12 yards on 5 carries, then a 25 yard gain.

Crowell's carries vs PIT

3 13:29 3 - 27 2nd-and-3 opp 3 rushed for 3 yards TOUCHDOWN 3 9:32 10 - 27 1st-and-10 opp 17 rushed for 2 yards 3 9:10 10 - 27 2nd-and-8 opp 15 rushed for 15 yards TOUCHDOWN 4 12:48 20 - 27 2nd-and-10 opp 38 rushed for 16 yards (first down) 4 12:18 20 - 27 1st-and-10 opp 22 rushed for -4 yards
36 yards on 4 carries, 2 TDs, then a 4 yard loss.

Coach's tend to view some situations as volatile, or subject to change on a whim. :homer:

Most anything is possible, while considering how a Coach views reactions/thoughts to what he has just stated/answered. "So your saying theres a chance, Coach?"

I dunno how to word this w/o wording it too much. Sig can/could be looking out for us, by risking his name "value" on Twitter and reiterate a point, just too gauge reactions. As opposed to asking "WRF Did you just Tweet Dude?"

Ex. All signs point to Vick starting the next game.. This should/would cause some reports to rebut said tweet << this line is Not a Tweet

It almost appears that the Browns used a common tactic which involves two separate Coachs and/or the Owner, too achieve some misdirection.

Bottom line, lets not forget Teams have no reason to put out info which may help another Team prepare. (unless its false)

I was really bummed out with drafting Sankey early this year but this news about Crowell is making me happy since I got him off the waivers. Hopefully, his talent shows up the rest of the way.

SaintsInDome2006 said:
Tate's carries vs PIT:

1 9:52 0 - 3 1st-and-10 own 25 rushed for 2 yards 1 9:25 0 - 3 2nd-and-8 own 27 rushed for 7 yards 1 0:44 3 - 10 1st-and-10 own 14 rushed for -1 yards 2 9:36 3 - 17 2nd-and-10 own 9 rushed for 5 yards 2 7:40 3 - 24 1st-and-10 own 9 rushed for 3 yards 2 7:04 3 - 24 2nd-and-7 own 12 rushed for 25 yards (first down)
He had 12 yards on 5 carries, then a 25 yard gain.

Crowell's carries vs PIT

3 13:29 3 - 27 2nd-and-3 opp 3 rushed for 3 yards TOUCHDOWN 3 9:32 10 - 27 1st-and-10 opp 17 rushed for 2 yards 3 9:10 10 - 27 2nd-and-8 opp 15 rushed for 15 yards TOUCHDOWN 4 12:48 20 - 27 2nd-and-10 opp 38 rushed for 16 yards (first down) 4 12:18 20 - 27 1st-and-10 opp 22 rushed for -4 yards
36 yards on 4 carries, 2 TDs, then a 4 yard loss.
Only a matter of time. The only thing that stops 'The Crow' is 'The Crow' himself.

Tool said:
This is probably covered earlier in this thread but what were the character issues with Crowell?
Guys with character concerns seem to also be the best football players.
So spend 100% of my FAAB on Hernandez?

But seriously, that's a really dumb statement. Sometimes guys with character concerns are ridiculously talented and that's why they get a chance in the NFL. If Crowell didn't have character concerns, he might have been a 1st round pick this year and would be the unquestioned starter. Now he has to fight his way to getting playing time. He could have been drafted like a Lacy or Bell and expected to be the starter right from the beginning. He'd have a long leash instead of a short one.

Tool said:

But seriously, that's a really dumb statement. Sometimes guys with character concerns are ridiculously talented and that's why they get a chance in the NFL. If Crowell didn't have character concerns, he might have been a 1st round pick this year and would be the unquestioned starter. Now he has to fight his way to getting playing time. He could have been drafted like a Lacy or Bell and expected to be the starter right from the beginning. He'd have a long leash instead of a short one.
Definitely has a short lease as far as off the field incidents. Of course, in the current state of the NFL, EVERYONE has a short leash now. See Peterson. Crowell however is way too talented to do anything but hold onto, especially in dynasty. So far he has shown me that he can carry the load.

johnnyboy8102 said:
Have West and Crow and holding both to see how it plays out
This is an interesting problem.

On the one hand you have the rookie that had great camp practices, that people were heralding as the next big thing once Tate gets hurt or leaves town, who now finds himself in a timeshare.

On the other, you have the rookie that got no play in camp, was considered a potential roster cut-down casualty who now finds himself in a near split with the guy who was drafted higher.

So what do we know? That with Tate out, West lost significant ground to Crowell.

What don't we know? Whether Crowell can pass West.

So if I had only one roster spot to give to either West or Crowell, do I want the guy that gave ground to the lower draft pick hoping he can reverse the current trend, or do I want the guy that has gobbled up ground on a higher draft pick hoping he can continue the trend?

To me that's an easy answer. If I had to pick one, I'd pick the guy that was trending up. These aren't static situations.

As a 'Crow' owner, either a Ben Tate or West fumble would be greatly appreciated. The flipside, a Crow fumble will hit us hard.

I remember grabbing HOU UDFA Tony Hollings 10 years back and the guy fumbled right off the team. A few years later here comes UDFA Foster and I didn't bid high enough to grab him because word had it that he was a fumbler.

I've dropped West in one league and held Crowell in the other with the short bench. I think it's clear who the better back is, even though the situation is murky. Talent will rise and Shanahan's scheme is one of few that values a runner's actual running ability above all else.

steveski said:

Just ignore the AC nazi's. As if anyone is here mining for information and ideas for any purpose other than to help their specific fantasy lineups.

That's a perfectly legit question that many viewers would have an interest in having answered.

If there are decent bye week RB's on the waiver wire, I'd roster Crowell based on the upside and hold until/unless I must get a RB for byes.

Tool said:

Definitely has a short lease as far as off the field incidents. Of course, in the current state of the NFL, EVERYONE has a short leash now. See Peterson. Crowell however is way too talented to do anything but hold onto, especially in dynasty. So far he has shown me that he can carry the load.
Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant more of a short leash as far as playing time goes. One fumble or one missed block that gets his QB sacked and he's on the bench until someone else screws up and he gets another opportunity.

Tool said:

Sorry I should have been more clear. I meant more of a short leash as far as playing time goes. One fumble or one missed block that gets his QB sacked and he's on the bench until someone else screws up and he gets another opportunity.
That's exactly the way I see it. Right now, the winning ticket is the one who doesn't screw up next.

PhantomJB said:
steveski said:

I'm not certain MJD would fit that description since we have not yet seen what he is capable of this year.

But someone like Steven Jackson if he were just sitting on my bench yes I would drop for Crowell. The upside is just too great combined with increasing probability he'll take over as lead back. If I went zero RB and had SJax as my RB2 with a strong WR corps I'd think a little harder.

Worst case come bye week just pick up a plodder like Shonn Greene and he'll get 80% of a high floor guy like SJax would have gotten.
The increasing probability is that Tate is back and starting after the bye. Maybe if/when Tate gets hurt Crowell will have a bigger role then he had in games 2 & 3 but until then Tate is the starter. Let's not put the cart before the horse.

Users who are viewing this thread