What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Isaiah Pead (1 Viewer)

every team would luv to have a Peterson or a Trent Richardson but not everyone can get one. with the nfl going more and more pass happy guys like Pead can make significant impact even if they aren't traditional starting workhorses. i know Jeff Fisher is a traditional ground and pound type coach but he's smart enuff to adapt and knows what he has in his young QB. He prolly knows he won't be winning the division or beating the 49ers anytime soon on the ground. Pead could see a sproles to a 'lighter' sproles workload in the future. his rookie year may not amount to much next year he will be a guy we'd all likely want to have stashed
Sproles is a pretty strange comparison. I don't view Pead as a speed back at all and that's pretty much all anyone thinks about when it comes to Sproles. Maybe Sproles is more of an inside runner than I'm thinking though.

every team would luv to have a Peterson or a Trent Richardson but not everyone can get one. with the nfl going more and more pass happy guys like Pead can make significant impact even if they aren't traditional starting workhorses. i know Jeff Fisher is a traditional ground and pound type coach but he's smart enuff to adapt and knows what he has in his young QB. He prolly knows he won't be winning the division or beating the 49ers anytime soon on the ground. Pead could see a sproles to a 'lighter' sproles workload in the future. his rookie year may not amount to much next year he will be a guy we'd all likely want to have stashed
I see it exactly the opposite because the Niners had a wildly sucessful season being a team that played defense and ran the ball a lot. That is right up Fisher's alley. Everyone is copycatting the Patriots and Saints right now but the Niners have proven you can play it the other way.

Should Pead impress when/if SJax goes down, does anyone really think they'll still go full-blown committee just because he's 10lbs lighter than what a prototype RB should be? Pead's assets are his ability to change direction with minimal deceleration, and receiving chops. Everything says FF gold to me.

Should Pead impress when/if SJax goes down, does anyone really think they'll still go full-blown committee just because he's 10lbs lighter than what a prototype RB should be? Pead's assets are his ability to change direction with minimal deceleration, and receiving chops. Everything says FF gold to me.
10lbs lighter now. Once they get him juiced up he should be the correct NFL starter size.

(KFFL) The St. Louis Rams view RB Isaiah Pead as the successor to starting RB Steven Jackson, even though Pead looks more like a change-of-pace or third-down back. Pead was reportedly coveted around the league during the NFL Draft and would not have lasted on the board much longer after the 50th overall pick.

10lbs lighter now. Once they get him juiced up he should be the correct NFL starter size.
Hopefully he doesn't lose his playmaking ability if he puts on the extra weight like Felix Jones did.

I'm pretty surprised that Pead's stock hasn't increased more based on his landing spot. After he was drafted to StL I figured he'd end up in the 1.05 to 1.07 range but it looks like he's falling into the mid 2nd round in a lot of drafts. That's crazy to me. A 2nd round running back drafted to a team with a 29 year old oft-injured incumbent and a coach that loves to run and he ends up in the mid 2nd of rookie drafts? People must really not believe in Pead.
I wonder if people have even watched his tape because he talent jumps out at you. Not many RB's have his cutting ability and burst up the field.
Did you ever watch Noel Devine in college? How would you compare Pead's and Devine's college tape?
Devine's problem has never been his physical ability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hopefully he doesn't lose his playmaking ability if he puts on the extra weight like Felix Jones did.
Jones is a coward. He should have never been starting but he was from Arkansas and Jerry 'Homer' Jones wanted his guy starting.

He seems to be going early second round in 12 team rookie drafts. Which could prove great value if he ever does turn into a viable starter fantasy wise. As far as him ever being the bell cow, we will see, he wouldnt be the first back ever to bulken up to become a three down option. Fisher saw something and an mid second on a guy they view as a third down/cop back seems high. If thats all they were looking for, wouldnt common sense tell you to pull the trigger on Lamichael later on ?
Did Fisher see something in Chris Henry when he took him in the second round (not first - thanks CDH)?Sometimes people see things they want to see. That includes you, me, and Fisher
I think Fisher learned his lesson from big backs like White and Henry. He struck gold with a small back in Chris Johnson and is looking to do it again.

I'm pretty surprised that Pead's stock hasn't increased more based on his landing spot. After he was drafted to StL I figured he'd end up in the 1.05 to 1.07 range but it looks like he's falling into the mid 2nd round in a lot of drafts. That's crazy to me. A 2nd round running back drafted to a team with a 29 year old oft-injured incumbent and a coach that loves to run and he ends up in the mid 2nd of rookie drafts? People must really not believe in Pead.
I wonder if people have even watched his tape because he talent jumps out at you. Not many RB's have his cutting ability and burst up the field.
Did you ever watch Noel Devine in college? How would you compare Pead's and Devine's college tape?
I think Devine's quickness was much better and he got to the sidelines much more in college IIRC. I think Pead's vision is much better and he's probably tougher on first contact. I think Pead has more of a typical NFL style.

I think Devine's quickness was much better and he got to the sidelines much more in college IIRC. I think Pead's vision is much better and he's probably tougher on first contact. I think Pead has more of a typical NFL style.
I agree, but I do think Devine could be a good NFL RB if he wasn't a head case.

Name the last 3 RBs that meet the same criteria and were FF gold?

Matt Forte, Jamaal Charles, LeSean McCoy. Next question...

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:
Forte is 6'2" 218 lbsMcCoy is 5'10" 208 lbs and took over for Westbrook who was 5'10" 203 lbs, so he is actually closer to prototypical than the guy he replaced.

So, you got one, Charles. Do two more.

Is there a rule that says you have to be exactly or pretty darn close to the exact same size as the guy you are succeeding to be successful?

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:
Forte is 6'2" 218 lbsMcCoy is 5'10" 208 lbs and took over for Westbrook who was 5'10" 203 lbs, so he is actually closer to prototypical than the guy he replaced.

Bradshaw?

Last edited by a moderator:
from Greg Cosell on Twitter:

Greg Cosell ‏ @gregcosellLove Rams pick of Pead. Runner-receiver. Can also align at WR. Some similarities to McCoy coming out of Pitt (remember he was 2nd rd pick).

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

Haha, thanks for doing part of the homework for me... Westbrook, well done. And yea it's really not that hard... how about that chris johnson guy too?Seriously, does anyone think that a 5lb difference in weight is going to make or break the makings of a good RB?

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

The criteria had nothing to do with height weight... to refresh your memory, he said, "Pead's assets are his ability to change direction with minimal deceleration, and receiving chops. "

Are you saying Forte and McCoy don't fit that (figurative) mold?

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

Do be devils advocate, I would have said Charles and Chris Johnson. Maybe Ray Rice, but he has bulked up quite a bit.Seriously folks, have any of you see Ray Rice without his pads? Would you dare compare him to Pead?

Charles and Johnson are reasonable comparisons. I would actually say Johnson is the most interesting, but both have WORLD CLASS speed. Pead simply doesnt have that.

Is there a rule that says you have to be exactly or pretty darn close to the exact same size as the guy you are succeeding to be successful?
yes, did you miss it?Its on page 72, paragraph 3, section 6, bullet 4Do you see it now?

'Return of the Sheep said:
'FavreCo said:
'chinawildman said:
Jones is an interesting comparison. Isnt he a bit taller though? Not that it matters really, but I never like Felix Jones. There is something 'small' about the way he ran. But you look at McCoy, Rice, MJD ... there is something big about the way they run.

'cstu said:
'cheese said:
'cstu said:
I agree, but I do think Devine could be a good NFL RB if he wasn't a head case.
Noel is in the CFL now. Prolly the perfect place for him at the moment

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

Haha, thanks for doing part of the homework for me... Westbrook, well done. And yea it's really not that hard... how about that chris johnson guy too?Seriously, does anyone think that a 5lb difference in weight is going to make or break the makings of a good RB?
Apparently, most people do because taiwan Jones is the same height as Pead and 5 pounds lighter (was before his rookie season) and Jones is in a system where he is ideal. He has elite speed and plays behind a Rb that has never made it through a season. YET, almost no one sees HIM as a viable replacement. So why would anyone want to jump on board with Pead who was not a consensus top 5RB before he was drafted?Let em be clear, I'm not trying to slam Pead. I honestly don't know much about the guy. I'm just trying to point out an answer and show the scenario based on the question asked. to me, Taiwan Jones would be a slam dunk before Pead would but, for whatever reason, people seem ready to push SJAX to the side. Yeah, he's frustrating in his own right, and always seems questionable and has all this and that going on, but I really can't see anyone drafting him thinking he is truly useful for a year or two (other than the SJAX owners..for them it makes a ton of sense..like DMAC owners having Taiwan).

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

Apparently, most people do because taiwan Jones is the same height as Pead and 5 pounds lighter (was before his rookie season) and Jones is in a system where he is ideal. He has elite speed and plays behind a Rb that has never made it through a season. YET, almost no one sees HIM as a viable replacement. So why would anyone want to jump on board with Pead who was not a consensus top 5RB before he was drafted?Let em be clear, I'm not trying to slam Pead. I honestly don't know much about the guy. I'm just trying to point out an answer and show the scenario based on the question asked. to me, Taiwan Jones would be a slam dunk before Pead would but, for whatever reason, people seem ready to push SJAX to the side. Yeah, he's frustrating in his own right, and always seems questionable and has all this and that going on, but I really can't see anyone drafting him thinking he is truly useful for a year or two (other than the SJAX owners..for them it makes a ton of sense..like DMAC owners having Taiwan).
Again, I don't think dimensions/size/weight matter as much. It's the football player that I'm talking about. To me it seems Pead is a much more natural runner than Jones and also has experience lining up wide as a receiver. The reason I bring up Forte alot is because they both exhibit very quick feet in making people miss at the second level, and both have experience in the role of splitting out wide. Taiwan just seems like a pure athlete and less of a football player. He's a long strider and doesn't have the foot quickness that I covet in RBs. It has little to do with the size of the RB. For example, Jerome Bettis had very quick feet for how big of a RB he was.

I'm with chinawildman, and the thing that sticks out the most to me with Pead is his footwork. Amazingly quick, especially on lateral movements. Pead seems to be able to change direction, shift right or left, and stop then start again almost effortlessly. He reminds me a lot of the UofM Clinton Portis except for Portis ran with a lower pad level. Similar height/weight/BMI as the UofM Portis too. I do believe Pead could add a few pounds if need be, and in a couple of years it would not surprise me to see his listed ht/wt as 5'10" 210.

One of the best values in rookie drafts right now.

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

How was Pead not a top 5 RB going into the draft? I don't remember many mocks agreeing with you going into the combine or after.

(KFFL) The St. Louis Rams view RB Isaiah Pead as the successor to starting RB Steven Jackson, even though Pead looks more like a change-of-pace or third-down back. Pead was reportedly coveted around the league during the NFL Draft and would not have lasted on the board much longer after the 50th overall pick.
I have two issues with this. IF pead was considered to be a major building block of the new regime, you don't trade down while on the clock to add a low round pick. Sure he might have been their highest rated player on the board, but he wasn't a "can't live without" player. Now add the fact that Jeff Fisher has no problem drafting RBs early. He spent second and first round picks three years in a row with the Titans. I have no doubt that with all the picks STL has, they won't draft a running back in the first 3 rounds in the next two years. Pead will be a RBBC back in the future. If you like the talent, draft him. I wouldn't draft him based off his situation alone because he isn't going to get an Sjax type workload once Jackson moves on or declines.

'chinawildman said:
'JAA said:
'chinawildman said:

Jones is 6-0, 194 and Pead is 5-10, 197. I have nothing against Taiwan other than he's a bit lanky, like a thinner Reggie Bush. Like you said, Jones plays in a system made for his skills but he's not going to get to play unless McFadden gets hurt.SJax is closer to the end (at least with the Rams) than you think. He's making $7M a year and if Pead looks good this year then chances are good they cut him. How many people passed on Ray Rice (5-8, 199, 4.48 at the combine) because he was behind a 27 year old McGahee?

'Max Power said:
I have two issues with this. IF pead was considered to be a major building block of the new regime, you don't trade down while on the clock to add a low round pick. Sure he might have been their highest rated player on the board, but he wasn't a "can't live without" player. Now add the fact that Jeff Fisher has no problem drafting RBs early. He spent second and first round picks three years in a row with the Titans. I have no doubt that with all the picks STL has, they won't draft a running back in the first 3 rounds in the next two years. Pead will be a RBBC back in the future. If you like the talent, draft him. I wouldn't draft him based off his situation alone because he isn't going to get an Sjax type workload once Jackson moves on or declines.
Pead was not their intended target. Fisher and Snead admitted that they got too cute with the trade. they had two LB's planned for pick 50 but they both went between picks 46 and 49. Kendricks was one of them and I don't remember the other. They altered their plan at that point and went with what they considered their best player on their board at a position they felt they needed.

yes, did you miss it?Its on page 72, paragraph 3, section 6, bullet 4Do you see it now?
After closer examination, you are correct. LOLThe only reason I brought up the McCoy comparison was basically, they are the same size, but more importantly is there lateral cuts and 2nd level vision and the hands to top it off. And the situation he is in.

Users who are viewing this thread