What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

It's a Wonderful Life (3 Viewers)

Was released 77 years ago today

The first year of the Ulysses S. Grant administration was 77 years before the release of It's a Wonderful Life.
And 77 years before that was the height of the French Revolution and the removal of Louis XVI as king.
Boy, the way Wolfgang played
songs that made the opera stage
Marquis like me, we had it made
Those were the days
Didn't need no Ottoman state
ev'rybody pulled his weight
gee our old Friesian ran great
Those were the days
And you knew who you were then
girls wore wigs and so did men
Mister we could use a man like Robespierre again...

The way Clarence stops George from committing suicide is by giving him someone to help.

People that are former addicts or have once been down and out are often encouraged to aid other addicts or other people who are down and out, provided they are in a state or position to do so. It helps people get emotionally back on their feet. It not only satisfies a basic human good, it tethers one to the reality that there but for the grace of God goes one's self.

Yes, there is a deep message in that. It's a deep message about human nature, really.

And I've never even seen the movie.
Bro you have to see the movie.

The way Clarence stops George from committing suicide is by giving him someone to help.

People that are former addicts or have once been down and out are often encouraged to aid other addicts or other people who are down and out, provided they are in a state or position to do so. It helps people get emotionally back on their feet. It not only satisfies a basic human good, it tethers one to the reality that there but for the grace of God goes one's self.

Yes, there is a deep message in that. It's a deep message about human nature, really.

And I've never even seen the movie.

Yeah, @rockaction , I’d actually be really interested to hear your thoughts after seeing it.

I'm not sure I've quite got it in me this year. That's for no reason other than watching attentively tomorrow or the next day would take a bit of concentration away from important things. I will get around to it. It's a classic.

Yeah, @rockaction , I’d actually be really interested to hear your thoughts after seeing it.

Thanks, STEADY. I'll say this in earnest: I'd probably be no more profound than others in this thread. I think wikkid already chimed in, so that's covered. If I do watch it, though, commenting in this thread is a nearly a must-do, so I will. At the very least, I'll think of you guys should something ever separate us from the board by the time I do watch it.

George Bailey.
Possibly the best character arc in any major film because newer films don't take the time as people's attention spans have shortened and few younger people bother with B&W movies.
We need to see all of the connections to sub-plots in order to tie everything together for the payoff/climax to hit hard to the point we just allow ourselves to get taken over with emotion.
I seek out reaction vids for this at Christmas and it is great to see someone who had never seen it break out in tears at the end.
LINK to video of a great reaction to this movie

I'm watching it right now.

I've seen this movie more than any other. When I was a kid (40 years ago), it used to play on regular stations at least 5-10 times in December. I watched it every showing. Then some studio bought its rights and chose to show it only once a season. So I bought it when it became available. Now it's streaming so you can watch it whenever you want to.

My wife and daughters like it fine but don't feel compelled to watch it every year like I do so I just watch it by myself. I still tear up at the end of the movie, every time. Great film.

I've seen this movie more than any other. When I was a kid (40 years ago), it used to play on regular stations at least 5-10 times in December. I watched it every showing. Then some studio bought its rights and chose to show it only once a season. So I bought it when it became available. Now it's streaming so you can watch it whenever you want to.

My wife and daughters like it fine but don't feel compelled to watch it every year like I do so I just watch it by myself. I still tear up at the end of the movie, every time. Great film.
It’s kind of weird but the movie slipped into the public domain because Liberty Studios failed and they never renewed the copyright. Paramount however did still own the rights to the short story the movie was based on. In the 90s, an unrelated Supreme Court case ruled that the owner of a work had the right to profit from any derivative works which basically now gave Paramount the rights to decide who can show the film.

George Bailey.
Possibly the best character arc in any major film because newer films don't take the time as people's attention spans have shortened

Seems like kind of a cheap shot. Maybe if we're talking about big budget action flicks but there are plenty of modern movies that focus on character arcs and have proper pacing, let the scenes with those characters breathe, etc.

Heck even among big money earning movies the top grossing movie of the year (Barbie) was essentially focused on character growth of the two main characters and the #3 movie (Oppie) was a 3 hour long character study.

George Bailey.
Possibly the best character arc in any major film because newer films don't take the time as people's attention spans have shortened

Seems like kind of a cheap shot. Maybe if we're talking about big budget action flicks but there are plenty of modern movies that focus on character arcs and have proper pacing, let the scenes with those characters breathe, etc.

Heck even among big money earning movies the top grossing movie of the year (Barbie) was essentially focused on character growth of the two main characters and the #3 movie (Oppie) was a 3 hour long character study.
Not a cheap shot. People, in general, have an attention span of 47 seconds today due to technology opening up available content. In 2004 attention spans averaged 2 minutes and 30 seconds by 2012 attention spans had dropped to 75 seconds.
Attention span studies
Film historians note the sea change that took place with the first summer blockbuster and how studios stopped banking lower income producing movies and went for the action/superhero/franchise-based stories.

Rewatched last night. My youngest watched much of it with me... he thought Violet was pretty. :lmao: (the adult VIolet, not the child Violet)
That's an excellent segue into getting him into film noir. She was the queen.

P.S.--I think Violet was pretty too.
He is 8 so it wasn't like he was way into it... he said something which I didn't catch on the "what this old thing? I only wear it when I don't care what I look like" scene. I asked and then he said nothing all embarrassed which then made me curious. After a couple of times of asking what he said and him saying 'nothing', I asked, "what, you thought she was pretty?" and he said all shy "yeaaaaaah" :lmao:

It’s kind of weird but the movie slipped into the public domain because Liberty Studios failed and they never renewed the copyright. Paramount however did still own the rights to the short story the movie was based on. In the 90s, an unrelated Supreme Court case ruled that the owner of a work had the right to profit from any derivative works which basically now gave Paramount the rights to decide who can show the film.
Until recently you really had to look for it as it was only on tv a couple times a year.

Just watched it, usually do each year near Christmas. Then saw the thread.

Love the movie. I did wonder during it though is a less realistic depiction of a teen or very early 20-something than 37yo Stewart playing a 21yo George Bailey. I mean he looks mid to late 30s during that sequence.

Was surprised though to learn that Donna Reed was only 25 at the time of filming. I didn't think she was at all convincing as a teen either, but I thought she was another half dozen years older real life.

But anyway, do love the movie.

... a less realistic depiction of a teen or very early 20-something than 37yo Stewart playing a 21yo George Bailey. I mean he looks mid to late 30s during that sequence...
Its a Wonderful Life was released in 1946, one year after the end of WWII. Jimmy Stewart served as a combat bomber pilot with honors but on one of his last missions his unit lost over 13 planes and 130 men. After that mission he was grounded for being 'flak happy' which is a term used at the time but today we call it PTSD. Stewart suffered classic symptoms including extreme weight loss. He was 6'6 but was down to only 136 lbs. when he filmed It's a Wonderful Life.
He claims the crying scene in Martini's bar was actually a bout of PTSD caught on film. It is an amazing scene that is out of focus, but the director left it 'as is' due to how powerful the scene was. I guess the entire crew was a bit traumatized by the realistic performance by Stewart in that scene and many left teary eyed.
------------------------
Here is another reaction video to the film. This girl was joking and laughing and making fun of the film until....
I mean, talk about completely losing it and breaking down at the end. I've never seen anyone lose it like she does at the end.
Link to video

Last edited:
Thomas Mitchell, who plays Uncle Billy, had what is probably the greatest single year any actor has ever had in 1939. He played prominent roles in:
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  • Stagecoach
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Only Angels Have Wings
They represent the 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th and 18th highest grossing movies of 1939. Gone with the Wind is still the highest grossing film of all time when adjusted for inflation. All of those movies received Oscar nominations- 31 in total. And to round it all out. Thomas Mitchell won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Stagecoach. It's truly was a wonderful year. He didn't do too bad later in his career either finding himself in It's a Wonderful Life and High Noon.

Rewatched last night. My youngest watched much of it with me... he thought Violet was pretty. :lmao: (the adult VIolet, not the child Violet)

He is 8 so it wasn't like he was way into it... he said something which I didn't catch on the "what this old thing? I only wear it when I don't care what I look like" scene. I asked and then he said nothing all embarrassed which then made me curious. After a couple of times of asking what he said and him saying 'nothing', I asked, "what, you thought she was pretty?" and he said all shy "yeaaaaaah" :lmao:
My wife turned it on after present opening and my youngest for the most part was ignoring it as he messed around with his gifts he got. Then a scene came up with her in it and he smiled all big and said "Daddy, the pretty girl!" I asked if he was going to tell Mommy that she was pretty and he got embarrassed again and said "No, I am not doing that."

My wife turned it on after present opening and my youngest for the most part was ignoring it as he messed around with his gifts he got. Then a scene came up with her in it and he smiled all big and said "Daddy, the pretty girl!" I asked if he was going to tell Mommy that she was pretty and he got embarrassed again and said "No, I am not doing that."
I wasn't as sophisticated when I was his age; the older woman I couldn't take my eye off was Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon. Imagine how bad it was for me when Bad News Bears came out.

I wasn't as sophisticated when I was his age; the older woman I couldn't take my eye off was Tatum O'Neal in Paper Moon. Imagine how bad it was for me when Bad News Bears came out.
He is a bit of a lady's man.... I asked him before who the prettiest girl in his grade was. He said he couldn't decide because 'they were all pretty.'

I did ask if he thought Mary was pretty (as I am partial to Donna Reed between the two) and he shrugged it off. He likes himself some Violet.

Here is another reaction video to the film. This girl was joking and laughing and making fun of the film until....
I mean, talk about completely losing it and breaking down at the end. I've never seen anyone lose it like she does at the end.
Link to video
I had the incorrect Link when I first posted this reaction video and have corrected it. If you haven't seen the vid, it i worth the watch. If you can't or don't want to watch the entire thing skip to the 40 minute mark because it is hysterical.
--------------
Thomas Mitchell, who plays Uncle Billy, had what is probably the greatest single year any actor has ever had in 1939. He played prominent roles in:
  • Gone with the Wind
  • Mr. Smith Goes to Washington
  • Stagecoach
  • The Hunchback of Notre Dame
  • Only Angels Have Wings
They represent the 1st, 2nd, 6th, 7th and 18th highest grossing movies of 1939. Gone with the Wind is still the highest grossing film of all time when adjusted for inflation. All of those movies received Oscar nominations- 31 in total. And to round it all out. Thomas Mitchell won the Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Stagecoach. It's truly was a wonderful year. He didn't do too bad later in his career either finding himself in It's a Wonderful Life and High Noon.
I stumbled upon The Hunchback of Notre Dame and the acting of Charles Laughton stood out, also Maureen O'Hara was only 19 and incredibly hot. Laughton was a giant of an actor with a 'seedy' private life but wow, what an actor and he gave one of his best performances ever in this movie.
Charles Hardwicke and Harry Davenport gave great performances as well. Oh, and Edmand O'Brien (The Wild Bunch) is so young and barely unrecognizable as it was one of his first movies compared to the old man he would be remembered for later in his career.
Great flick and not talked about as much as it should.
Mitchell had a great run in 1939 but 'kinda' played similar characters. Add, back in 1939 TV wasn't common so everyone went to the movies for entertainment and studios pumped out flicks by the week so it is difficult to compare that sort of production from one actor to ANYONE today.
For instance, Joe Pesci is noted for his 1990 acting in Goodfellas, the same year he was in Home Alone. That is range from two classic movies from the same year.

Mitchell had a great run in 1939 but 'kinda' played similar characters.
I recently saw Stagecoach for the first time and he indeed played somewhat of a similar drunk doofus - great performance though that won him an Academy Award. He was more of a quiet aloof type in Gone With the Wind as Scarlett’s dad.

What was seedy about Charles Laughton's life?

“Laughton's bisexuality was corroborated by several of his contemporaries and is generally accepted by Hollywood historians. Hollywood procurer and prostitute Scotty Bowers alleged in his memoir Full Service that Laughton was in love with Tyrone Power and that his sex life was exclusively homosexual.”

“Laughton's bisexuality was corroborated by several of his contemporaries and is generally accepted by Hollywood historians. Hollywood procurer and prostitute Scotty Bowers alleged in his memoir Full Service that Laughton was in love with Tyrone Power and that his sex life was exclusively homosexual.”
Yeah I know and he was married to Elsa Lancaster and she knew about his sexuality- similar to Gershwin. I guess that doesn’t seem at all seedy to me.

Yeah I know and he was married to Elsa Lancaster and she knew about his sexuality- similar to Gershwin. I guess that doesn’t seem at all seedy to me.

For the time it was and he put it in quotes.

"Laughton's bisexuality was corroborated by several of his contemporaries and is generally accepted by Hollywood historians. Hollywood procurer and prostitute Scotty Bowers alleged in his memoir Full Service that Laughton was in love with Tyrone Power and that his sex life was exclusively homosexual.”
Laughton's sexuality wasn't exactly the 'seedy' part, he was known to molest his young costars on set to the point it became a problem for the studio, so they had an 'arranged marriage' to Elso Lanchester (known for starring as the Bride of Frankenstein.) to qualm reports.
Laughton starred with Ty Power in Witness for the prosecution and Power was also bisexual, but I doubt he shared Laughton's affections.
I found it interesting that in the 1950s that Tyrone Power was the highest grossing actor in America and that Dirk Borgard was the highest grossing actor in Great Britan. Power was bi and Dirk was gay, but audiences did not know at the time.

was known to molest his young costars on set to the point it became a problem for the studio
That’s fairly seedy! I wasn’t aware of that, interesting.
I wasn't going to bring this other bit of seedy trivia that pertains to It's a Wonderful Life but ...
I'm sure many know the story but was surprised it hadn't come up considering a boy found Gloria attractive when she 'allegedly' had an affair with her 13-year-old stepson and later married him.
LINK

was known to molest his young costars on set to the point it became a problem for the studio
I wasn't going to bring this other bit of seedy trivia that pertains to It's a Wonderful Life but ...
I'm sure many know the story but was surprised it hadn't come up considering a boy found Gloria attractive when she 'allegedly' had an affair with her 13-year-old stepson and later married him.
LINK
Young Mary was spot on when she said Violet liked all the boys.

LINK
That is crazy

"Laughton's bisexuality was corroborated by several of his contemporaries and is generally accepted by Hollywood historians. Hollywood procurer and prostitute Scotty Bowers alleged in his memoir Full Service that Laughton was in love with Tyrone Power and that his sex life was exclusively homosexual.”
Laughton's sexuality wasn't exactly the 'seedy' part, he was known to molest his young costars on set to the point it became a problem for the studio, so they had an 'arranged marriage' to Elso Lanchester (known for starring as the Bride of Frankenstein.) to qualm reports.
Laughton starred with Ty Power in Witness for the prosecution and Power was also bisexual, but I doubt he shared Laughton's affections.
I found it interesting that in the 1950s that Tyrone Power was the highest grossing actor in America and that Dirk Borgard was the highest grossing actor in Great Britan. Power was bi and Dirk was gay, but audiences did not know at the time.
Well yeah that is seedy. Never heard that before

Though I would like to read the sources on this because Hollywood Babylon is often taken as fact when it’s now know pretty much everything in that book is a lie.

Though I would like to read the sources on this because Hollywood Babylon is often taken as fact when it’s now know pretty much everything in that book is a lie.
It is good to question sensational stories however...

Other sources with the same story.
---------------------------------------------------
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/m...g-sex-scandal-undid-gloria-grahame-1036631/#!

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4907045/gloria-grahame-final-days-liverpool/

And others have repeated this story:

https://www.foxnews.com/entertainme...affair-with-old-hollywood-star-gloria-grahame

I've seen many reactions to It's a Wonderful Life but never one that showed such emotion from start to finish.
This randy couple from England surprised me with their emotional intelligence because they emoted at every beat of the film, even early on they just gushed.
They are a bit much so I suggest skipping right to the 4:28 mark where the film begins.
This is possibly the best reaction of any film ever let alone It's a Wonderful Life.
This thread will be put to bed till next year but before its gone, I highly suggest giving this reaction a watch. It will tear you up.
LINK to video

I've seen many reactions to It's a Wonderful Life but never one that showed such emotion from start to finish.
This randy couple from England surprised me with their emotional intelligence because they emoted at every beat of the film, even early on they just gushed.
They are a bit much so I suggest skipping right to the 4:28 mark where the film begins.
This is possibly the best reaction of any film ever let alone It's a Wonderful Life.
This thread will be put to bed till next year but before its gone, I highly suggest giving this reaction a watch. It will tear you up.
LINK to video
I scrolled through it - can't watch that whole thing. As an ugly American, the think accents honestly detract from it.

LINK to video
I scrolled through it - can't watch that whole thing. As an ugly American, the think accents honestly detract from it.
Ahg, I have to say that it is worth the watch. It really is the best reaction vid I've seen and that is saying something.

Users who are viewing this thread