What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jahvid Best (1 Viewer)

I think it's a bit odd that people are reluctant to say that his production (at least in terms of yardage) has been disappointing so far.
Why? He's on pace for around 1,500 total yards. Unless your expectations were unrealistic going into the season or after the Eagles games and anything less than 2,000 is a disappointment, I don't see how you can think this pace is that bad.
Look at the weekly breakdown.

I think it's a bit odd that people are reluctant to say that his production (at least in terms of yardage) has been disappointing so far.
Why? He's on pace for around 1,500 total yards. Unless your expectations were unrealistic going into the season or after the Eagles games and anything less than 2,000 is a disappointment, I don't see how you can think this pace is that bad.
But if his turf toe(s) is mostly healed, there's reason to think that his production could go up compared to where it has been the past few weeks.

Im disappointed but my expectation were way over the top.....Ill admit it
I dont get why people are so quick to judge Best but not guys like Wells, Stewart who have been equally unsteady but over a longer period of time.

Im disappointed but my expectation were way over the top.....Ill admit it
I dont get why people are so quick to judge Best but not guys like Wells, Stewart who have been equally unsteady but over a longer period of time.
Probably because his name is Best. Seems a little like false advertising. :coffee:

I get it, but that can be said of a lot of players. And he's been startable in a PPR league every week except one. If someone told you before the season that six games in, Best would be on pace for 1,500 total yards, 10+ td's, and 70 or so receptions, I think you would've been happy. For whatever reason, he's become a real lightning rod on this forum, and I can't figure out why. A guy like Larry Fitzgerald went 2 rounds or so earlier than Best, yet people seem to be complaining less about the awful year that he's had, yet Best is putting up a great rookie year and everyone is still fighting over him. Don't get it at all.

But if his turf toe(s) is mostly healed, there's reason to think that his production could go up compared to where it has been the past few weeks.
Which is exactly why I wrote this:
It's possible that his health has been the issue holding him back, it's possible that Stafford's absence has affected his opportunities, etc. Anyway, I like the guy and am rooting for him.
I'm not saying the guy sucks. Nothing remotely like that. If folks want to look at his cumulative season stats and ignore 5 weeks (out of 6) of relatively mediocre performance, that's fine by me. He absolutely could see an increase in production going forward for all of the reasons mentioned.....and I hope that he does.

I get it, but that can be said of a lot of players. And he's been startable in a PPR league every week except one. If someone told you before the season that six games in, Best would be on pace for 1,500 total yards, 10+ td's, and 70 or so receptions, I think you would've been happy. For whatever reason, he's become a real lightning rod on this forum, and I can't figure out why. A guy like Larry Fitzgerald went 2 rounds or so earlier than Best, yet people seem to be complaining less about the awful year that he's had, yet Best is putting up a great rookie year and everyone is still fighting over him. Don't get it at all.
:coffee: In non-PPR, he wasn't startable in week 3 (39 total yds) or week 6 (47 total yds) and was barely startable in start-3RB leagues for week 4 (84 yds, 1 lost fumble).

for yardage estimates, I like to throw out the lowest and highest values, then take the average. that puts Best at ~ 70 ypg and that's about what I'll expect from him going forward - about 7 points/game

:thumbup: In non-PPR, he wasn't startable in week 3 (39 total yds) or week 6 (47 total yds) and was barely startable in start-3RB leagues for week 4 (84 yds, 1 lost fumble).
Fair enough -- but I would have hoped that owners had very modest expectations in non-PPR leagues going into this season.

If folks want to look at his cumulative season stats and ignore 5 weeks (out of 6) of relatively mediocre performance, that's fine by me.
See, this is the problem I have with your posts. He has not had 5 weeks of mediocre performance. Here is his rankings on a week to week basis:Week One: RB06Week Two: RB01Week Three: RB44 (start of Turf Toe)Week Four: RB30Week Five: RB15Week Six: RB32Week Seven: byeHe's finished in the top 15 50% of the season and has been top ten twice, number one overall once. The bigger point here is that he was drafted as a RB 2/3 in most leagues. I personally was lucky enough to get him as a RB3 or flex option in my league. He has been thrust into every week starter for me due to Grant going down, but the reality is that he was taken by most to perform as RB25-36 on a weekly basis. He is currently ranked RB7.
In non-PPR, he wasn't startable in week 3 (39 total yds) or week 6 (47 total yds) and was barely startable in start-3RB leagues for week 4 (84 yds, 1 lost fumble).
Fair enough, but anyone that took him with expectations that he'd be a viable starter did so in PPR leagues, based on his role in the passing game. Anyone that took him as a RB2/3 in non-PPR and expected him to live up to that point production was fooling themselves from the drop. He is averaging just over 5 receptions per game, and is on pace for 83 over the course of the season. Again, I'll agree that as an NFL RB he has been lackluster in the rushing department. This is FF though. I don't care how he gets me points, just that he does. My league's point scoring is structured in such a way that a player of his type does well. I knew this and drafted accordingly. If I was in a NON-PPR, I would not have targeted him to be in my starting lineup.

Last edited by a moderator:
Leshoure is to Best what TJones is to Charles or what Mcgahee is to Rice.
Completely disagree. Leshoure is gonna be a stud. This pretty bad news for Best.
If you are correct, a lot of people passed on him who could have used a stud RB.
Unless you are supposed to be the next GREAT running back, there simply isn't a high premium on them in the NFL draft. One, because they typically have a short shelf life, but mainly because even average RBs can look terrific behind a good O-line. It's probably the easiest plug-and-play position to fill.

Completely disagree. Leshoure is gonna be a stud. This pretty bad news for Best.
Its not good news for Best, but he wasnt likely to be the goalline back next year no matter what. I wasnt a big fan of Leshoure coming into this draft, but i wouldnt touch him with a top 8 rookie pick this year.

If you are correct, a lot of people passed on him who could have used a stud RB.
True. Has that never happened before?
Of course. I'm just saying that you make the comment in a very matter-of-fact way, which is misleading. Sure he might be a stud, but he also might not be. Either way, Best will be on the field a lot. It was probably a pipe dream for anyone expecting 350 touches for Best anyway.

True. Has that never happened before?
Of course. I'm just saying that you make the comment in a very matter-of-fact way, which is misleading. Sure he might be a stud, but he also might not be. Either way, Best will be on the field a lot. It was probably a pipe dream for anyone expecting 350 touches for Best anyway.
Sorry. I think Leshoure can be a stud. I also think he will significantly chew into Best's touches/value. Furthermore, if Best can't beat the injury bug/label, then Leshoure will simply just steal the job outright, imo, of course.

Best has a gear which Leshoure does not possess. They complement each other perfectly and both will see 8 to 15 touches a game.
Of course. I could see Leshoure outcarrying Best by significant number. Their overall touches should be very even however.

People are under the assumption that the bigger back is the lead back and the smaller back is the COP/3rd down back. Like i said, im looking for a Rice/Mcgahee type situation here.

People are under the assumption that the bigger back is the lead back and the smaller back is the COP/3rd down back. Like i said, im looking for a Rice/Mcgahee type situation here.
I think people assume this becuase traditionally it is the way it works. So you think the touch split will be 80/20 Best? That nearly what it was last year.

I think people assume this becuase traditionally it is the way it works. So you think the touch split will be 80/20 Best? That nearly what it was last year.
60/40Best 190-220 carries, 50-60 receptions.Leshoure 160-180 carries 10-20 receptions, short yardage/goaline back.Edit, it doesnt always work that way:Chris Johnson/Lendale WhiteJamaal Charles/Thomas JonesLesean Mccoy/Mike BellRay Rice/Willis Mcgahee

They could easily be on the field at the same time, also.

Put Best in the slot or in motion and bubble-screen/swing pass the hell out of everyone.

60/40Best 190-220 carries, 50-60 receptions.Leshoure 160-180 carries 10-20 receptions, short yardage/goaline back.
Ok, well that's not a Rice/Mcgahee situation.

60/40Best 190-220 carries, 50-60 receptions.Leshoure 160-180 carries 10-20 receptions, short yardage/goaline back.
Ok, well that's not a Rice/Mcgahee situation.
I didnt say it would be exact, just similar. More just that the smaller guy would be the lead back.

60/40Best 190-220 carries, 50-60 receptions.Leshoure 160-180 carries 10-20 receptions, short yardage/goaline back.Edit, it doesnt always work that way:Chris Johnson/Lendale WhiteJamaal Charles/Thomas JonesLesean Mccoy/Mike BellRay Rice/Willis Mcgahee
I didn't say it did. I was commenting on why people think that way.And dude, Thomas Jones and Jamaal were nearly an even split last year so it is a bad example and Lendale last played in TN 3 years ago. Of course CJ got more touches. ;)

So if you need wr and rb... you gunna take leshore or the potential number one wr in cleveland greg little?

I didn't say it did. I was commenting on why people think that way.And dude, Thomas Jones and Jamaal were nearly an even split last year so it is a bad example and Lendale last played in TN 3 years ago. Of course CJ got more touches. ;)
I was refering to how it was in Tennessee back then. I know Jamaal and Jones were almost even in touches, im not giving exact examples, just a range were i think Best will fall into. Of course alot is going to depend on just how good Leshoure ends up being. Like i said before, i wasnt very impressed with Leshoure coming into the draft, so of course i dont see him as the type of guy who is going to come in and take the starting job from Best. The Chris Johnson/Lendale White situation is probably the closest example of what i see happening in Detroit this season.

Like i said before, i wasnt very impressed with Leshoure coming into the draft
What don't you like about him?
He doesnt run as big as his size. Thats not to say he doesnt have good power/balance but its not enough to make up for his lack of explosion/acceleration. He doesnt have great long speed either, and at best is only an average pass catcher. I dont think he is going to be a bust, i just dont see him being anything more than an average NFL RB.

Not a huge Leshoure fan, but it's pretty apparent they needed a 2nd RB there.Should open up using Best in a variety of ways and provide significant mismatches.
With Kevin Smith gone and Morris on the wrong side of 30, RB was a big need for Detroit. I thought they should have went defense with their 2nd rounders and used a later pick on a guy like Delone Carter, but either way, they were not coming out of this draft without at least 1 RB. Leshoure does seem to be a good fit with Best, but i think it ruined Leshoures value. He would have looked much better in a Colts or Patriots uniform. While this wasnt the best case scenario for Best, it wont hurt his value as much as some think. Which might make this a good time to trade for him.

Lions second-round RB Mikel Leshoure is expected to be the change-of-pace back to Jahvid Best, not the other way around.

As it should be. Even though Leshoure was neck-and-neck with Mark Ingram for the top back on Detroit's board, the coaching staff realizes Best is too talented to take off the field for long stretches. Leshoure will be the short-yardage horse while also handling the "four-minute" drill when the Lions are killing the clock. Best's value does take a hit in standard-scoring leagues with the loss of goal-line work, but he should be just fine in PPR formats.
Rotoworld

The Leshoure/Best duo will be a 1-2 punch. They will go with the hot hand and mix it up. It will be hard to predict who will produce more week to week. I think it is great for the Lions offense and great for Best's health. Not so good for fantasy football folks. Both will be good, but neither will be great.

Prisco at CBS seems pretty clueless....."I like the player, but didn't they pick Jahvid Best last season? Do you need another this high? C-"

Detroit's rush offense was 23rd in the league and a large part of that was Best being banged up. Detroit had a huge need of having a healthy running back who could handle short-yardage situations and stay be healthy to give Best some rest and fill in when he is not healthy. It was a critical need, IMHO. I absolutely love the pick, but it is being attacked by many. I felt they should have done it with their first pick in the second round and not trade for it. They could have gotten Titus in the 3rd or maybe someone better.

Prisco at CBS seems pretty clueless....."I like the player, but didn't they pick Jahvid Best last season? Do you need another this high? C-"Detroit's rush offense was 23rd in the league and a large part of that was Best being banged up. Detroit had a huge need of having a healthy running back who could handle short-yardage situations and stay be healthy to give Best some rest and fill in when he is not healthy. It was a critical need, IMHO. I absolutely love the pick, but it is being attacked by many. I felt they should have done it with their first pick in the second round and not trade for it. They could have gotten Titus in the 3rd or maybe someone better.
AJ Smith 'gets it' apparently :PLike the pick, and will probably increase Best's worth to the actual team and his PPR numbers should remain solid.

Users who are viewing this thread