What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Jamaal Williams, NO (2 Viewers)

slays me that the national media is all of a sudden surprised Jamaal is a team leader (one of the first questions the New York guys ask MCDC after last game)

dude has owned the locker room from day one

he’s an awesome teammate

7 of his 12 TDs are fm 1 yard, another one fm 2 yards

he runs hard but he’s also got a terrific offensive line pushing the pile

Well I got sucked in again to playing him. Let’s hope he does something this time. First two times I started him he got me minimal points

Jamaal Williams rushed 18 times for 66 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 12 loss to the Bills.​

As usual, Williams was not targeted in the passing game. Also as usual, he found the end zone and could have done so more than once. Williams is now up to 13 touchdowns, a league-leading total. He is providing little in the way of big plays and his volume is strong if not spectacular, but his role is just so consistent. Williams will remain a scoring-based RB2 for Week 13 against the Jaguars.
Nov 24, 2022, 3:55 PM ET

Jamaal Williams rushed 11 times for 35 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 13 win over the Jaguars.​

Things started according to plan with Williams capping the Lions' opening drive with a one-yard score, his 14th rushing touchdown of the year. What followed was a much more even timeshare with D'Andre Swift now that Swift is finally healthy. Although Williams got one more carry inside the Jaguars' five-yard line, he couldn't cash it in. Swift out-touched his veteran backfield mate 18-11 and out-gained him 111-35. That is not only what fantasy managers had in mind to begin the year, but the Lions, too. If Swift can stay healthy, he could continue to win the overall touch war while Williams remains Option A at the goal line. Swift's Week 13 score came as the Lions went hurry up after Swift took them down to the one. Williams will be on the RB2/3 borderline for Week 14 against the Vikings.
Dec 4, 2022, 6:04 PM ET

Jamaal Williams rushed 22 times for 144 yards and a touchdown in the Lions' Week 17 win over the Bears.​

Williams was shot out of a cannon in this game, picking up chunk yardage without much resistance from the Bears' defense. His 144 yards go down as a career-high. He has only carried the ball more than 22 times in a single game once in his six-year tenure as a pro. Facing a Green Bay defense that has been extremely susceptible on the ground this season, Williams should be in line for another strong performance next week. He will rank as an RB2 for Week 18.
Jan 1, 2023, 4:46 PM ET

going up against his old team Week 18

6 yards short of his first 1K season (IIRC his previous high was 601 last year?)

needs one more TD to tie Barry Sanders franchise record of 16 rushing touchdowns

postgame yesterday

one of the best entertainers in the game

"Don't do that. Don't disrespect. You sound old. Poké-man? you mean Poké-mon? IDK what you got you musta got cards that sucked."

Seriously - this a secret Key & Peele sketch?

Lol did this actually happen???
yup - I think. If it didn't, it should have.

ETA - ok, apparently it’s a Naruto character, which Jamaal is a huge fan of.

It is real.
Yeah, it took me some time to figure out what that was all about. He seems a really good guy and someone that his teammates really like.
I love the dude.

People mocked me when I took him in the draft. Dude carried me for a few games.

yup - I think. If it didn't, it should have.

ETA - ok, apparently it’s a Naruto character, which Jamaal is a huge fan of.

It is real.
Yeah, it took me some time to figure out what that was all about. He seems a really good guy and someone that his teammates really like.
I love the dude.

People mocked me when I took him in the draft. Dude carried me for a few games.
Just to mess with them it might be time to change the name of your team to "Swagg Kazekage"

Assuming everything is basically the same next year for the Lions offense (including a "healthy" Swift), where do we like Jamaal in redrafts?

The guy is hilarious, I crack up every time he opens his mouth. Proper character and no doubt a great team mate. This also appeared a few days ago

Lions GM Brad Holmes said there is "mutual interest" between the team and Jamaal Williams in him re-signing.​

Williams is set to hit free agency once the new league year turns over. The bruising back signed with the Lions two years ago but broke out in 2022. He rushed for 1,066 yards and a jaw-dropping, 17 touchdowns. That mark led the NFL and is now a franchise record for the Lions. He also became a fan-favorite for Detroit in the process. The market for two-down veterans isn't particularly hot, so the Lions should be able to bring Williams back if they want to. If he is re-signed, D'Andre Swift will be pigeon-holed into a committee once again, much to the dismay of dynasty players across the globe.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Carmen Vitali on Twitter
Mar 1, 2023, 4:30 PM ET

GoLongTD.com's Tyler Dunne reports the Bengals, Bills, and Jets are interested in signing Jamaal Williams.​

Of these three teams, the Bengals make for the most interesting landing spot. Joe Mixon's future with the team remains up in the air, while Samaje Perine and Trayveon Williams are both entering free agency. After rushing for 1,006 yards and a league-high 17 touchdowns last season, Williams should draw plenty of interest before deciding on where he'll play in 2023. Of course, a reunion with the Lions is still in play, as GM Brad Holmes has already gone on record saying there is "mutual interest" between the two sides in working out a new deal. The Jets are one of the more confusing suitors here. They have three young backs all under contract heading into 2023, including 2022 second-round pick Breece Hall. However, Williams did spend two years with Jets offensive coordinator Nathaniel Hackett in Green Bay, and the rumors of Rodgers heading to New York could further entice Williams to join Gang Green.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Tyler Dunne on Twitter
Mar 12, 2023, 11:00 AM ET

Williams would be a very good fit in Buffalo. They've needed that guy who can grind out some tough yards. Too often that task falls to Josh Allen, and while its been fine so far, you'd probably prefer to have an alternative.

Baffling to me that the lions went with Monty over Williams and paid more money.
I realize Jamaal is pretty JAG-y on the field, and Monty is at least a bit better. But Monty is still not what I would call a difference maker on the field. If I'm prioritizing a 4.6 RB to take on the early down role, I'm going with the guy who brings some intangibles, like being the leader of the culture change in Detroit among the players.

Baffling to me that the lions went with Monty over Williams and paid more money.
I realize Jamaal is pretty JAG-y on the field, and Monty is at least a bit better. But Monty is still not what I would call a difference maker on the field. If I'm prioritizing a 4.6 RB to take on the early down role, I'm going with the guy who brings some intangibles, like being the leader of the culture change in Detroit among the players.

There's speculation on Reddit/Twitter (from less than 100% trusted & vetted sources) they started out too far apart. Day 1 we heard from many sources they were not close and the Bills and Bengals were interested.

Lions signed/re-signed 7 guys - 6 on the defense - and they all went quickly. The only one that was going slow was Jamaal; then again, all the top RBs took their time, which is smart. They set the process in motion to replace him bc they didn't want to be left out in the cold, and also bc it would give him even more leverage once other comparable backs started coming off the market.

Door swing both ways. Everyone that re-signed had a presser where they talked about the culture, how the coaches treat you with respect, everyone is accountable, and they run Allen Park like a family not a business. Some of those guys had multiple offers but they wanted to stay and told their agents to get it done.

This was Jamaal's one chance at a bag, it's not coming around again - he's never gonna be a UFA again coming off 1K and 17 TDs. Don't blame him one bit for doing the right thing for himself. He's a great human, every team he is on is better bc he's in the room. Packers fans still talk about him, Lions fans are bummed out. But it takes two to tango. He got shut out bc of the way his team handled their end.

Monty is two years younger, a better receiver, at the same level in pass pro - Jamaal is elite, Monty led the lead in RB pass pro a few years ago - and way more elusive. Consistently put up 1K YFS every year on crappy offenses and janky O-lines. Now he's running behind one of the best offensive fronts in the league. How hard is it to replace a guy who had 10 1-yard TDs (+ 3 more from 2 yards)? Montgomery breaks a lot of tackles, tied with Chubb for the best rate last year. Let's not act like they paid more for a downgrade.

Jamaal is a great leader and added a lot to the locker room. Just like he did in Detroit Green Bay, dude is just awesome. But the culture they have in Detroit doesn't exist bc of one guy.

Saints got a good one, he will be a big time fan favorite. Gonna miss him. Gotta keep moving forward, though.

Last edited:
Jamaal Williams rushed 18 times for 45 yards in a Week 1 win over the Titans, while adding seven yards receiving on two catches.

Turns out, it didn’t matter how many healthy running backs the Saints had or how many carries Williams got. The Saints offensive line continued to get pushed back by the Titans defensive line, and Williams had no room to run. HIs longest run of the day came on his final carry when he rumbled 11 yards to seal the game. He also fumbled, but recovered the ball himself to avoid a disaster. He’ll look to bounce back next week against a Panthers defense that allowed 130 yards rushing on 5.0 yards per carry to the Falcons today. However, it’s also possible Kendre Miller could be back to steal work next week.

- Rotoworld

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports Saints RB Jamaal Williams will be out for for the immediate future.

Williams suffered what now seemed to be a serious hamstring injury against the Panthers in Week 2. He led the Saints’ backfield in the absence of suspended Alvin Kamara and injured Kendre Miller. Tony Jones led the rest of the way in Week 2, but expect more from Taysom Hill and Miller who is set to make his debut in Week 3.

Can’t see Williams not having a role if the hammy is good.

The hammy doesn't appear to be good. It'll likely be the Kamara, Miller, and Jones show for a good chunk of the year. Not that Jimbo Slice should drop him. I'm just saying that from reading coachspeak, it doesn't sound good for Williams.

Saints placed RB Jamaal Williamson on injured reserve.

Williams will now miss the next four games. Kendre Miller makes his professional debut on Sunday after missing the team’s first two games of the season and the Saints get Alvin Kamara back from suspension for Week 4. Miller could see featured usage in his first game against the Packers if the Saints want to see how much of a between-the-tackles workload he can handle to pair with Alvin Kamara upon the latter’s return.

Users who are viewing this thread