What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

JaMarcus Russell vs. Andrew Walter (1 Viewer)

ChicagoRaider

Footballguy
I think that in a fair competition, Andrew Walter would beat JaMarcus Russell to be the starting quarterback for the Raiders at the beginning of this season. I think Russell would rather throw an interception than eat the ball. Walter will eat the ball rather than throw it away fairly often, but that is a lesser mistake. Nothing Russell did last year showed that he is ready to be the starting quarterback of the Raiders.

I think that in a fair competition, Andrew Walter would beat JaMarcus Russell to be the starting quarterback for the Raiders at the beginning of this season. I think Russell would rather throw an interception than eat the ball. Walter will eat the ball rather than throw it away fairly often, but that is a lesser mistake. Nothing Russell did last year showed that he is ready to be the starting quarterback of the Raiders.
You mean for the one whole game he started. :loco: I thought he did pretty decent for his first start. :shrug:

Last edited by a moderator:
You're leaving out one small detail, Walter has already proven he doesn't belong in the NFL, Russell hasn't.Edited to say that I can't believe I posted in this thread.

You're leaving out one small detail, Walter has already proven he doesn't belong in the NFL, Russell hasn't.Edited to say that I can't believe I posted in this thread.
:shrug:

:shrug:
This is not the way to gain any respect in the best fantasy football community on the Internet. Surly alcohol is involved in the initiation of this thread.

The views expressed in this thread are solely the view of ChicagoRaider, and in no way reflect the views of Raider Nation and are in no way endorsed by them. Any resemblance to coherent thought past or present, is coincidental.

The views expressed in this thread are solely the view of ChicagoRaider, and in no way reflect the views of Raider Nation and are in no way endorsed by them. Any resemblance to coherent thought past or present, is coincidental.
It has to be a :lmao: trip, and my advice to everyone is just smell the bait and leave :confused: :bag:

I don't know whether Walter is better than Russell but I do feel that he didn't really get a fair shot at playing QB in the NFL. I live in the bay area but grew up in the midwest so I am a Bears fan but I get to see plenty of Oakland games. I would MUCH rather have Walter as the Bears QB than Grossman or Orton. I like Walter's size and his mechanics, I feel like 95% of quarterbacks in the league would have been equally inept with a Bed and Breakfast manager for an offensive coordinator. I don't know if he would beat our Russell but I do think we'll see him playing again in the NFL. I say, good thread.

Walter is absolutely terrible. He's worse than Alex Smith. In 284 passes he's thrown just 3 TDs, so he can't throw, and he can't run, either.

You want some evidence that Russell is better than Walter? In just 66 passes, Russell has already thrown 2 TDs. Walter has thrown over 150 passes since his last TD; that's Alex Smith/Ryan Leaf rookie season territory. (And he's not a rookie).

Walter is absolutely terrible. He's worse than Alex Smith. In 284 passes he's thrown just 3 TDs, so he can't throw, and he can't run, either.

You want some evidence that Russell is better than Walter? In just 66 passes, Russell has already thrown 2 TDs. Walter has thrown over 150 passes since his last TD; that's Alex Smith/Ryan Leaf rookie season territory. (And he's not a rookie).
You left out the part where he pisses himself and goes into the fetal position when a defender comes within 5 yards of him. Even Jim Everett thinks Walter is jittery in the pocket.

You left out the part where he pisses himself and goes into the fetal position when a defender comes within 5 yards of him. Even Jim Everett thinks Walter is jittery in the pocket.
Did you see the pocket Walter's played in when he got a few 2006 starts?Strike that...you couldn't have seen the pocket he played in...because there wasn't one to see.

I dare say even P. Manning or Brady would've been wearing depends & regularly assuming the fetal position after just a few games in that sorry excuse of an offense.

And I think you're off by a couple of yards on when Walters would tuck the ball & curl up. It was more like any defender that got within 7 yards of him wasn't it? If a defender got within 7 yards of any Oakland QB during 2006, it was guaranteed clobberin' time. Didn't matter who was behind Center, they were going down baby.

EDIT: All that being said, of the two, I'd be willing to bet my left nut that Russell will end up being the better QB.

I dare say even P. Manning or Brady would've been wearing depends & regularly assuming the fetal position after just a few games in that sorry excuse of an offense.
Manning got killed in his first season of going 3-13, but he still set rookie records with 326 completions, 3,739 yds, 26 tds, and the most consecutive games with a td at 13.

Manning got killed in his first season of going 3-13, but he still set rookie records with 326 completions, 3,739 yds, 26 tds, and the most consecutive games with a td at 13.
Apples & Oranges my friend.Manning did not do the above while playing in that joke of an offense displayed by the 2006 Raiders.

Don't worry Hoss we all get roped in when passing by would serve us better.

What are some of the thoughts on Russell as a NFL QB? Oakland is trying to put talent around him with McFadden and Walker.

Its not a fair competition. If Russell shows enough progress, he'll start. He Russell doesnt, then Walter might start. Its Russell's job to lose more than it is Walter's to win.

I agree with those here that think Russell will be better. If I had to bet on it I'd make the same bet. I'm only saying I don't think we can judge anyone who played on the raiders in 2006 based on their performance that year. That was seriously the worst pass blocking I've ever seen. With that premise in mind I just wouldn't be surprised to see Walter end up as a serviceable player elsewhere in the league.

CalBear said:
Walter is absolutely terrible. He's worse than Alex Smith. In 284 passes he's thrown just 3 TDs, so he can't throw, and he can't run, either. You want some evidence that Russell is better than Walter? In just 66 passes, Russell has already thrown 2 TDs. Walter has thrown over 150 passes since his last TD; that's Alex Smith/Ryan Leaf rookie season territory. (And he's not a rookie).
Help me understand why any offensive performance from Art Shell's 2006 Raiders (and of course 276 of Walters 284 career attempts were in 2006) is in any way indicative of someone's talent? By this measure, Randy Moss is clearly washed up as he's stuck at 13 ypc and 3 TD's for the season. The problem with Walter is that he's had so little chance to show anything other than his self-preservation skills that we're left to wonder whether he's the next Jim Drukenmiller or could be another Kerry Collins or Derek Anderson, that is, a QB who can be productive in the NFL with the right support around him. I honestly don't know, and I think Raiders fans who profess to know are suffering from an amusing form of denial about just how bad their team is and was. The only things we know for sure about the Raiders since Norv Turner left (aka, "the salad days", if you can believe it) is that time does indeed seem to move in slow motion when you're watching a trainwreck. If I were running an NFL team that was looking for a 3rd QB, Walter would be a guy I'd target, not because I think I'm guaranteed anything, but because you can "buy low" a guy who has some nice tools and who might develop with some time away from the roller derby that is the pocket behind the Raiders oline..

ChicagoRaider said:
Andrew Walter is a big pile of crap. I haven't seen enough of Russel to determine if he is a bigger pile of crap, or can actually be good.

Big Score said:
Hoss_Cartwright said:
Big Score said:
Apples & Oranges my friend.Manning did not do the above while playing in that joke of an offense displayed by the 2006 Raiders.
No, it's not apples & oranges. It demonstrates that Peyton Manning played on a crappy team, got his #### busted, and went 3-13, yet he found a way to set rookie QB records.

Walter's biggest problem is his complete lack of mobility and pocket presence. He is a sack waiting to happen.

He is Kerry F'n Collins at best and Marc Wilson at worst.

CalBear said:
Walter is absolutely terrible. He's worse than Alex Smith. In 284 passes he's thrown just 3 TDs, so he can't throw, and he can't run, either. You want some evidence that Russell is better than Walter? In just 66 passes, Russell has already thrown 2 TDs. Walter has thrown over 150 passes since his last TD; that's Alex Smith/Ryan Leaf rookie season territory. (And he's not a rookie).
Help me understand why any offensive performance from Art Shell's 2006 Raiders (and of course 276 of Walters 284 career attempts were in 2006) is in any way indicative of someone's talent? By this measure, Randy Moss is clearly washed up as he's stuck at 13 ypc and 3 TD's for the season. The problem with Walter is that he's had so little chance to show anything other than his self-preservation skills that we're left to wonder whether he's the next Jim Drukenmiller or could be another Kerry Collins or Derek Anderson, that is, a QB who can be productive in the NFL with the right support around him.
Walter was a large part of the reason for that debacle. He has no pocket presence, often getting himself sacked or fumbling due to his inability to feel the pressure and step to the open space. His only reaction once he does feel the pressure is to duck and cover. Here's an exercise for you; find a QB who threw 150 passes without a TD early in his career and went on to become a successful starter.

CalBear said:

Help me understand why any offensive performance from Art Shell's 2006 Raiders (and of course 276 of Walters 284 career attempts were in 2006) is in any way indicative of someone's talent? By this measure, Randy Moss is clearly washed up as he's stuck at 13 ypc and 3 TD's for the season. The problem with Walter is that he's had so little chance to show anything other than his self-preservation skills that we're left to wonder whether he's the next Jim Drukenmiller or could be another Kerry Collins or Derek Anderson, that is, a QB who can be productive in the NFL with the right support around him.
Walter was a large part of the reason for that debacle. He has no pocket presence, often getting himself sacked or fumbling due to his inability to feel the pressure and step to the open space. His only reaction once he does feel the pressure is to duck and cover. Here's an exercise for you; find a QB who threw 150 passes without a TD early in his career and went on to become a successful starter.
I can't think of another QB in as bad of a situation as that one, so no comparison holds there. Regardless, if Walter (taking, of course, his first NFL snaps) was the problem, please point me to where the offense improved when another QB was playing.

This discussion is pointless.....walter wouldnt even be the raiders back up if he wasnt there last season and didnt already know kid kiffins offence , he is a servicable stand in at best. The face of the raiders is and will be J.R for years to come...deal with it :football:

I can't think of another QB in as bad of a situation as that one, so no comparison holds there.
OK, how about let's start with, in the Super Bowl era, how many QBs have thrown 250 passes and had 3 TDs or fewer? Two:Akili SmithAndrew WalterHow about players in the first 3 years of their careers, who threw 200 passes with 3 TDs or fewer? Six:Dan DarraghGary Huff (So bad he wound up on the 1976 Bucs)Akili SmithAndrew WalterRyan LeafBobby HoyingThis list is practically a who's who of the suckiest QBs of all time.

Walter did stand in the pocket and showed a good amount of zip on the ball. He did stand tall and fire it over the middle. He did make as good a read as you can in 1.6 seconds and got rid of the ball when he could. He is fairly immobile and got absolutely killed two years ago. He is now damaged goods and can't be counted on to complete a pass, like so many here have referred to his panicky ways. If he hadn't gotten killed that year, he showed the promise to become a starter in this league but I feel like it's too late for him. For the same reason, I wanted J.Thomas over J.Russell last year and wanted the best available lineman over DMC this year. Hopefully Cable doesn't let Russell turn into Walter v 1.2.

ChicagoRaider said:
I think Russell would rather throw an interception than eat the ball.
Can't believe that none of the 'Russell is overweight' crowd jumped on this gem.

ChicagoRaider said:
Cmon, 30 posts in and no jokes about Russell "eating the ball"? :lol:

No, it's not apples & oranges. It demonstrates that Peyton Manning played on a crappy team, got his #### busted, and went 3-13, yet he found a way to set rookie QB records.
Yes, it is apples & oranges. In no way, shape, or form can the offense that Manning played in his rookie year, be compared to that totally abysmal, inept & abortion of an offense that the 2006 Raiders trotted out.As bad as the 1998 Indy offense was that Manning played in (with Faulk & Harrison on the roster I might add), they only gave up 22 sacks. Compare that to the 72 sacks the 2006 Raiders gave up.Not a valid comparison my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread