What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

January 6 Defendants & Discussion (4 Viewers)

NBC News Article:

Jan. 6 rioters who stormed Capitol in gladiator, caveman costumes sentenced to prison

Nathan Entrekin and Aaron Mostofsky were among several defendants sentenced this week, as guilty pleas continue to roll in.

Aaron Mostofsky, a 35-year-old man who was dressed as a caveman when he stormed the Capitol, was sentenced to eight months behind bars followed by a year of supervised release.

Mostofsky, who had told a friend his costume was meant to illustrate his belief that "even a caveman" knew the 2020 election was stolen.

Nathan Entrekin, a 49-year-old Arizona man who wore a gladiator costume to portray Captain Moroni from the Book of Mormon, was sentenced to 45 days in prison and three years of probation.

A light day in insurrection court cases today…

InfoWars host Owen Shroyer has a status hearing this afternoon. 

WUSA9 Article:

Judge rejects InfoWars host's bid to dismiss Capitol riot charges

Also,

Plea hearing this afternoon for Army veteran and Jan. 6 defendant Steven Thurlow, featured sporting a “Boogaloo” patch:

Last edited by a moderator:
MAGA Dating.

Young love and insurrection…

"Me and Savannah are FARGING STORMTROOPERS”

DOJ wants 90 days imprisonment for Nolan Harold Kidd, who stormed the Capitol with his friend Savannah Danielle McDonald.

(The pictures and selfies inside the Capitol, otherwise known as EVIDENCE, are particularly concerning. But hey! They look so happy!)

How it started:

“this is the place very few Americans ever get to see, we broke in, we own this building, this is our house, they can tear gas us all they want, we own it.”

How it’s going:

Defense: "He truly regrets his conduct and takes full responsibility for his actions. He understands that his actions caused significant harm to the entire country.”

No word if the couple are still dating…

Criminal Complaint and Statement of Facts
Yesterday…

Sentencing begins at in Capitol breach case of Nolan Kidd of Georgia.

Prosecutors are asking for three months in jail for Kidd.

Judge sentences Nolan Kidd to 45 days in jail.

Yesterday…

Sentencing begins at in Capitol breach case of Nolan Kidd of Georgia.

Prosecutors are asking for three months in jail for Kidd.

Judge sentences Nolan Kidd to 45 days in jail.
…and the girlfriend later today.

STANDBY:   Sentencing at 11am in Jan 6 case of Savannah McDonald, who's pleaded to misdemeanor

Feds to seek jail, saying McDonald was amid first wave and "took videos bragging about being the only girl to make it to the Senate and having been tear gassed by police officers"

dozer said:
…and the girlfriend later today.

STANDBY:   Sentencing at 11am in Jan 6 case of Savannah McDonald, who's pleaded to misdemeanor

Feds to seek jail, saying McDonald was amid first wave and "took videos bragging about being the only girl to make it to the Senate and having been tear gassed by police officers"
This is a pretty good thread….

I’ll highlight the details.

Prosecutors are seeking 3-months jail for Savannah McDonald.. arguing, in part, she was "was part of the first wave of rioters who entered the Capitol Building on January 6, and she entered through the Senate Fire Door less than 20 seconds after it was opened by other rioters"

Defense:  "People who led people (including) Ms McDonald to come to DC on Jan 6 have NOT been held accountable"

Defense lawyer is arguing there are organizers and inciters who have not yet been held accountable.

S. McDonald's co-defendant, Nolan Kidd, was sentenced yesterday.

Judge sentenced Kidd to 45-days jail.

Defense says McDonald was "following" Kidd on Jan 6... that "Kidd was the leader in that relationship"

Savannah McDonald's father is now asking court to spare his daughter from prison:

McDonald's father:  "She's a 19 year old girl.  She's very impressionable.  I hate to throw the guy under the bus... he's a good dude..."    He then indicates McDonald's co-defendant (Nolan Kidd) might bear responsibility.

McDonald's father: "Please don't be taking her away for a long time, because we can't make it here.  I certainly can't"

Savannah McDonald:  "I got caught up in the crowd.  And made poor choices"   (She's reading a statement off a piece of paper)

Judge asks McDonald to put her written notes away.. and asks how she feels about people having died on Jan 6

McDonald:  "Honestly, on (January) the 7th, I already had feelings that this was wrong."

Judge sentences Savannah McDonald to 21 days in jail

Absolutely crazy action in court today… I was listening to the audio of this court appearance and wasn’t sure what I was listening to, but it seems that Baked Alaska screwed himself...

Going into todays hearing, Anthime Gionet (Baked Alaska) is facing one misdemeanor charge:

“Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.”

(A class B misdemeanor with a max sentence of 6 months in prison.)

Gionet - Statement of Facts

Zoe Tillman thread.

I’ll post the highligts…

Hello from Judge Emmet Sullivan's virtual courtroom, where far-right troll Tim Gionet (better known as "Baked Alaska"), will be entering a guilty plea in connection w/ Jan. 6.

Gionet livestreamed from the Capitol: "Occupy the Capitol let's go. We ain’t leaving this #####"

:eek: Then, all the sudden this conversation between Judge Emmitt Sullivan and Baked Alaska happens…

Sullivan: "Why do you wish to plead guilty?"

Gionet: "I wanted to go to trial but the prosecutor said if I didn't [sic] go to trial they would put a felony on me so I think this is probably the better route. I believe I'm innocent"

Sullivan: "Well fine, pick a trial date"

As I’m listening, and not sure what just happened, the judge quickly asks all the lawyers to look at their calendars to pick a trial date. None of the lawyers were prepared to pick a trial date…

Sullivan sets a trial date for Gionet for March 7.

Gionet starts to protest, asking if it's fair for the govt to threaten him with a felony,

Sullivan says that's what he has a lawyer for.

AUSA says, we did not say we would add a felony, we said we would continue to investigate.

Sullivan asks AUSA if they'll file a superseding information, AUSA says they can't say yet.

But then Sullivan pauses, asks if Gionet's lawyers want to go in a breakout room w/ him. "I want Mr. Gionet to understand. You want a trial, you'll get a fair trial sir. You hear me?"

What's happened here, in a very short time, is that once Gionet said he believed he was innocent, Sullivan explained that he could not accept a guilty plea from him. He advises Gionet before putting him in the breakout room w/ his lawyers: "Don’t plead guilty to please me"

Sullivan is one of the longest serving fed judges in DC and trying to recount all of his major courtroom moments would take a lot more than a tweet. But you may remember him from such notable interrupted hearings as Michael Flynn's postponed sentencing:

In Flynn's case, Sullivan played a larger role in contributing to the interruption of that sentencing. Sullivan had just started Gionet's plea hearing and simply asked, "Why do you wish to plead guilty" and that's when Gionet proclaimed his innocence and things went off the rails.

Will update…

Absolutely crazy action in court today… I was listening to the audio of this court appearance and wasn’t sure what I was listening to, but it seems that Baked Alaska screwed himself...

Going into todays hearing, Gionet is facing one misdemeanor charge:

“Knowingly entering or remaining in any restricted building or grounds without lawful authority; violent entry and disorderly conduct on Capitol grounds.”

(A class B misdemeanor with a max sentence of 6 months in prison.)

Gionet - Statement of Facts

Zoe Tillman thread.

I’ll post the highligts…

Hello from Judge Emmet Sullivan's virtual courtroom, where far-right troll Tim Gionet (better known as "Baked Alaska"), will be entering a guilty plea in connection w/ Jan. 6.

Gionet livestreamed from the Capitol: "Occupy the Capitol let's go. We ain’t leaving this #####"

:eek: Then, all the sudden this conversation between Judge Emmitt Sullivan and Baked Alaska happens…

Sullivan: "Why do you wish to plead guilty?"

Gionet: "I wanted to go to trial but the prosecutor said if I didn't [sic] go to trial they would put a felony on me so I think this is probably the better route. I believe I'm innocent"

Sullivan: "Well fine, pick a trial date"

As I’m listening, and not sure what just happened, the judge quickly asks all the lawyers to look at their calendars to pick a trial date. None of the lawyers were prepared to pick a trial date…

Sullivan sets a trial date for Gionet for March 7.

Gionet starts to protest, asking if it's fair for the govt to threaten him with a felony,

Sullivan says that's what he has a lawyer for.

AUSA says, we did not say we would add a felony, we said we would continue to investigate.

Sullivan asks AUSA if they'll file a superseding information, AUSA says they can't say yet.

But then Sullivan pauses, asks if Gionet's lawyers want to go in a breakout room w/ him. "I want Mr. Gionet to understand. You want a trial, you'll get a fair trial sir. You hear me?"

What's happened here, in a very short time, is that once Gionet said he believed he was innocent, Sullivan explained that he could not accept a guilty plea from him. He advises Gionet before putting him in the breakout room w/ his lawyers: "Don’t plead guilty to please me"

Sullivan is one of the longest serving fed judges in DC and trying to recount all of his major courtroom moments would take a lot more than a tweet. But you may remember him from such notable interrupted hearings as Michael Flynn's postponed sentencing:

In Flynn's case, Sullivan played a larger role in contributing to the interruption of that sentencing. Sullivan had just started Gionet's plea hearing and simply asked, "Why do you wish to plead guilty" and that's when Gionet proclaimed his innocence and things went off the rails.

Will update…
No plea from Tim Gionet today. AUSA Aloi says that with a trial date set for next March, the govt has agreed to hold open the current plea offer for 60 days, at which point it will expire.

Sullivan sets a status hearing for July 22, at the end of the 60-day window that Gionet now has to take the plea deal as is or prep for trial in March 2023.

Gionet: "Thank you for the additional time, I appreciate it"

Sullivan: "These things happen, I wasn't born yesterday"

@Zow (or other Lawyerguys... ) Wondering if you think the defendant screwed himself here, or if you've ever had a client suprise you like this in court...

One of my favorite things about following Tillman's daily tweets is hearing about guys like Baked Alaska- who have been rewarded for being loud, confrontational, attention-seeking jerks who pretend they're some sort of rebels- finding themselves in a situation where those are like the worst possible thing you can be.

Also Zoe is my neighbor!

I saw the Tillman tweets as they came through earlier and it was a bit entertaining, but the March 2023 trial date kind of blunted the effect. Of course the AUSA's going to leave that offer on the table for him and of course he's going to take it. He'll just have to dial back the bluster a bit next time he's in Sullivan's court.

One of my favorite things about following Tillman's daily tweets is hearing about guys like Baked Alaska- who have been rewarded for being loud, confrontational, attention-seeking jerks who pretend they're some sort of rebels- finding themselves in a situation where those are like the worst possible thing you can be.

Also Zoe is my neighbor!
Yeah, Zoe Tillman is probably the best of the J6 case reporters to follow on Twitter. Especially, since Scott Macfarlane got promoted.

Other good ones are:

Ryan J. Reilly NBC News

emptywheel (Marcy Wheeler) Independant

Jordan Fischer WUSA9

Emptywheel

This is one of many hints that Baked Alaska had to cooperate TO GET the parading plea he almost just blew up.

That means he has already cooperated some with prosecutors. If he goes to trial, prosecutors can use that information against him.

...and she retweets a link from Ryan J. Reilly of a recent interview of Baked Alaska...

In an interview with Milo this week, Gionet (aka Baked Alaska) said the feds are leveraging a potential felony 1512 (Obstruction of Justice/Congress) charge against him to pressure him to cooperate.

No plea from Tim Gionet today. AUSA Aloi says that with a trial date set for next March, the govt has agreed to hold open the current plea offer for 60 days, at which point it will expire.

Sullivan sets a status hearing for July 22, at the end of the 60-day window that Gionet now has to take the plea deal as is or prep for trial in March 2023.

Gionet: "Thank you for the additional time, I appreciate it"

Sullivan: "These things happen, I wasn't born yesterday"

@Zow (or other Lawyerguys... ) Wondering if you think the defendant screwed himself here, or if you've ever had a client suprise you like this in court...
1. Don’t know enough to say with a reasonable degree of certainty, but probably. 

2. Yeah a few times. In most circumstances I’ll try to get an agreement for the client to plea pursuant to Alford v. North Carolina (essentially a no contest plea where the defendant can maintain innocence but merely acknowledges the state has evidence that could lead to a conviction so the defendant is pleading for the benefits of the agreement. That usually resolves the issue but the state still had to agree. If the state doesn’t agree and wants the defendant to admit guilt in open court (oftentimes because the victim wants it) then the situation becomes very challenging are oftentimes requires a lot of time with the client. It’s imperative that the client understands that an allecution to the elements of the crime is necessary and if he denies them or insists on innocence the judge will reject the plea. Usually, with enough time, a client will make a decision and stick with it. However, sometimes, like probably what happened here, a client/defendant will get into court and just can’t admit guilt or can’t resist arguing when the factual basis is placed on the record. 

Zoe Tillman, Buzzfeed Article:

J6 defendants and the 2nd amendment….

A Jan. 6 Defendant Is Going To Jail For Having A Loaded Shotgun And A Sword As Others Push To Get Their Guns Back

Barton Shively, a former Marine from central Pennsylvania, had been living at home awaiting trial in the nearly year and a half since he was charged with assaulting police at the US Capitol on Jan. 6.

That changed Monday, when a judge ordered him jailed after probation officers reported that he’d reached for a loaded shotgun — which he wasn’t allowed to have — during an unannounced home inspection.

Scott MacFarlane

Imagine a crime so large & so violent... that it resulted in *350* arrests

Well... per US Attorney today... that's how many people are *STILL* being sought in the US Capitol Insurrection.

(Largest criminal investigation in US history)

From the detention motion for Jonathan Munafo. Trump's kind of guy.

Charges:

Forcibly Assaulting, Resisting, Opposing, Impeding or Interfering with Officer of U.S. Government

Knowingly Entering or Remaining in any Restricted Building or Grounds without Lawful Authority

Engaging in Disorderly Conduct on Restricted Gounds with Intent to Disrupt Official Functions

Engaging in an Act of Physical Violence against Person/Property on Restricted Grounds and While Using a Dangerous Weapon

Violent Entry and Disorderly Conduct on Capitol Grounds

-

Here's what Munafo was doing to help Trump get reelected: Threatening to shoot strangers at a rest stop, punching a female jogger, shouting racist attacks at a cop.

THEN he got arrested for bringing a weapon to the December MAGA March.

ON THE WAY to Jan 6, he made 144 threatening calls to a police dispatch line in MI.

ON THE WAY BACK from Jan 6, he totaled the car he was driving w/o a license. 

Like I said, Trump's kind of guy.

Lock his ### up…

OathKeepers seditious conspiracy defendants return to court for hearing at 1pm today…

Group of OathKeeper defendants just entered courtroom 10 at DC federal court. Stewart Rhodes in green jail outfit with paper mask below his nose and hair messed.  Jessica Watkins and the others in orange jail outfits from dc jail .. sitting to his side.  Others via zoom.

OathKeepers seditious conspiracy defendants return to court for hearing at 1pm today…

Group of OathKeeper defendants just entered courtroom 10 at DC federal court. Stewart Rhodes in green jail outfit with paper mask below his nose and hair messed.  Jessica Watkins and the others in orange jail outfits from dc jail .. sitting to his side.  Others via zoom.
If you’d like to listen in:

Toll Free Number: 877-848-7030

Access Code: 3218747

DOJ says the Donald Trump fan who was out on bail on an attempted murder charge when he violently stormed the U.S. Capitol violated his conditions of release in his Jan. 6 case by visiting a Buffalo Wild Wings.

:lmao:

DOJ says the Donald Trump fan who was out on bail on an attempted murder charge when he violently stormed the U.S. Capitol violated his conditions of release in his Jan. 6 case by visiting a Buffalo Wild Wings.

:lmao:

The conditions of his release were such that he could only drive to and from work, which means that even a stop at the market to get some frozen Buffalo Wild Wings would also have been a violation. 

Danny Rodriguez Indictment

(This is the insurrectionist that started crying like a child during his interview with FBI agents…)

Pretrial motions due Friday in the case against Danny Rodriguez, the Trump fanatic who drove a stun gun into the neck of Officer Mike Fanone on Jan. 6. Defense said last week that the motion may be "complicated and lengthy.”

Danny Rodriguez’s tearful confession will be admissible at trial…

"Despite the fact that most of the people on the ground are buffoons, so what? There are 15,000 of them.”

“My story is just that we thought that we were going to save America, and we were wrong.”

Scott MacFarlane Reports:

-

Matthew Miller Statement of Offense 

-

STANDBY:  Sentencing at 2pm in Capitol riot case of Matthew Miller of Maryland

Feds seek 51 months (4+ years) arguing Miller "unleashed" contents of fire extinguisher on officers, threw items (including batteries) at officers in tunnel, scaled wall w/ toppled bike rack barrier

Prosecutors:  "Miller, while draped in a Confederate flag, threw a full beer can approximately 30 yards, in the direction of law enforcement"

Miller's defense in request for leniency, argued "he was both drunk and high when he fell in with the mob marching towards the Capitol"

Miller has pleaded guilty to count 2 of his indictment... obstruction

Prosecutor is playing extended videos from Jan 6 of the West front tunnel.  You can hear the ominous, chilling scream of "HEAVE-HO" as the mob attempts to overpower police.

Miller is young.  A 22 year-old charged in Jan 6. 

Judge interjects that a 22-year-old's judgment is not as good as those who are older

Judge:  "I wonder how I compare a drunk 22 y/o to some of these other folks who were stone sober, in their 40s, who knew a lot better.."

to be cont…

Scott MacFarlane Reports:

-

Matthew Miller Statement of Offense 

-

STANDBY:  Sentencing at 2pm in Capitol riot case of Matthew Miller of Maryland

Feds seek 51 months (4+ years) arguing Miller "unleashed" contents of fire extinguisher on officers, threw items (including batteries) at officers in tunnel, scaled wall w/ toppled bike rack barrier

Prosecutors:  "Miller, while draped in a Confederate flag, threw a full beer can approximately 30 yards, in the direction of law enforcement"

Miller's defense in request for leniency, argued "he was both drunk and high when he fell in with the mob marching towards the Capitol"

Miller has pleaded guilty to count 2 of his indictment... obstruction

Prosecutor is playing extended videos from Jan 6 of the West front tunnel.  You can hear the ominous, chilling scream of "HEAVE-HO" as the mob attempts to overpower police.

Miller is young.  A 22 year-old charged in Jan 6. 

Judge interjects that a 22-year-old's judgment is not as good as those who are older

Judge:  "I wonder how I compare a drunk 22 y/o to some of these other folks who were stone sober, in their 40s, who knew a lot better.."

to be cont…
Judge began his train of thought by specifying that "being drunk" doesn't absolve someone of the crime... 

Judge:   "I'm dealing with someone here who is younger than most (others) in these cases....  More prone to get carried away by rhetoric, false statements, the emotions of the crowd around him and too many cans of beer"

Judge lays out the bottom line.  Matthew Miller is going to jail.  It's just a matter of how long. 

Defense hasn't presented yet…

Judge's questions for Justice Dept indicate the judge believes Miller's age (young) and drunkenness on Jan 6 are relevant

Prosecutor rebuts Miller's argument that he didn't injure anyone

Prosecutor:  "It wasn't for lack of trying"

Defense:  Miller had been "following the lies of President Trump

"On Jan 6, he thought it'd be cool to be part of history"
"He could hear the lies that were being spewed.  Unfortunately, he also went to the Ellipse, high on marijuana & drunk on alcohol. His judgement distorted"

Judge is pressing defense lawyer to specify how many beers Miller drank.... 

Defense attorney is asking Miller..

Miller drank 10 beers, per defense lawyer

And participated in passing around liquor and marijuana.

Defense:

Miller doesn't recall throwing batteries

Miller barely recalls throwing beer can.

Miller does recall deploying fire extinguisher

Judge questions if Miller truly believes he was led astray.  Defense keeps talking about "Trump lies"...  but judge says "How do I know that's how he really feels today?"

Defense:  "Matthew Miller has suffered already".... lost his job.. lost his reputation and ultimately will be losing his freedom

Defense seeks sentence of 1-year, 1-day for Miller  

Good write-up here by FAMM about how that "1-day" addition allows for "good time" credit in prison:

(Defendant) Matthew Miller is speaking now - “I was falling down the wrong path”.. “hanging out with the wrong crowd .. and failing because of my addictions”

Miller says he’s ashamed looking back at video of his “inebriated behavior”

Miller:  apologize to my family and community. And i ask for your mercy today. 

Sounds like judge will take a break before issuing sentence.  

Standby

Judge began his train of thought by specifying that "being drunk" doesn't absolve someone of the crime... 

Judge:   "I'm dealing with someone here who is younger than most (others) in these cases....  More prone to get carried away by rhetoric, false statements, the emotions of the crowd around him and too many cans of beer"

Judge lays out the bottom line.  Matthew Miller is going to jail.  It's just a matter of how long. 

Defense hasn't presented yet…

Judge's questions for Justice Dept indicate the judge believes Miller's age (young) and drunkenness on Jan 6 are relevant

Prosecutor rebuts Miller's argument that he didn't injure anyone

Prosecutor:  "It wasn't for lack of trying"

Defense:  Miller had been "following the lies of President Trump

"On Jan 6, he thought it'd be cool to be part of history"
"He could hear the lies that were being spewed.  Unfortunately, he also went to the Ellipse, high on marijuana & drunk on alcohol. His judgement distorted"

Judge is pressing defense lawyer to specify how many beers Miller drank.... 

Defense attorney is asking Miller..

Miller drank 10 beers, per defense lawyer

And participated in passing around liquor and marijuana.

Defense:

Miller doesn't recall throwing batteries

Miller barely recalls throwing beer can.

Miller does recall deploying fire extinguisher

Judge questions if Miller truly believes he was led astray.  Defense keeps talking about "Trump lies"...  but judge says "How do I know that's how he really feels today?"

Defense:  "Matthew Miller has suffered already".... lost his job.. lost his reputation and ultimately will be losing his freedom

Defense seeks sentence of 1-year, 1-day for Miller  

Good write-up here by FAMM about how that "1-day" addition allows for "good time" credit in prison:

(Defendant) Matthew Miller is speaking now - “I was falling down the wrong path”.. “hanging out with the wrong crowd .. and failing because of my addictions”

Miller says he’s ashamed looking back at video of his “inebriated behavior”

Miller:  apologize to my family and community. And i ask for your mercy today. 

Sounds like judge will take a break before issuing sentence.  

Standby
We’re back and prosecutor resumes arguments …

…countering defense claim that Miller was a “cheerleader”… prosecutor says “cheerleader doesn’t go on the field”

And prosecutor counters “intoxication” argument .. saying Miller wasn’t too drunk to toss a beer can 30 yards at police or climb a toppled bike rack to scale building.

Judge:  “this was a singular and extraordinarily disturbing event in US history…”

Judge: “Events at Capitol on Jan 6 will be in history books that our children read and our children’s children read…”

Judge:  “It was an assault viewed around the world by millions and millions of people…”

👉Judge:  Lies like the ones about the 2020 Election require people who want to hear them … people “hungry for that lie”👈

Judge sentences Miller to 33 months.  Less than 51 sought by Feds.

Army reservist 'genuinely believes in civil war,' prosecutors tell jury in first day of trial

Army reservist and alleged Nazi sympathizer Timothy Hale-Cusanelli entered the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6 because he “genuinely believes in civil war,” prosecutors told jurors Tuesday on the first day of testimony in his trial.

In opening arguments, assistant U.S. attorney Kathryn Fifield described Hale-Cusanelli as a man who promoted anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and who thought an armed political conflict was “inevitable.” Fifield said they would hear evidence that Hale-Cusanelli believed Jews were “controlling President Biden” when he and thousands of others stormed the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6.

Lock his racist ### up…

Kyle Cheney, Politico, Twitter Thread

Sentencing of Jan. 6 defendant Greg RUBENACKER, who was part of the mob that chased Officer Eugene Goodman through the Senate wing of the Capitol.

Rubenacker - Complaint & Statement of Facts

Officer Goodman submitted a victim impact statement late last night that the parties are discussing.

Goodman's statement is under seal, but Howell and the lawyers are discussing its contents. They say he describes the stories of other people who still talk to him about the trauma they experienced on Jan. 6, including someone whose office was broken into.

This is the first time Goodman has submitted a victim impact statement in any Jan. 6 case.

RUBENACKER has been sentenced to 41 months of incarceration for his role in the mob that chased Officer Goodman, smoking a joint in the Capitol rotunda and pushing against officers as they sought to expel the crowd.

Accidentally put this in the Committee thread, moving it here:

@dozer  I can't believe you haven't done the guy whose defense is that he didn't realize the Capitol was where Congress meets because he's from New Jersey. Best one yet! I saw it earlier and thought about posting it, but decided to leave it for the master.  I think we need to introduce a new type of criminal verdict- not guilty by reason of New Jersey.

Army reservist 'genuinely believes in civil war,' prosecutors tell jury in first day of trial

Army reservist and alleged Nazi sympathizer Timothy Hale-Cusanelli entered the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6 because he “genuinely believes in civil war,” prosecutors told jurors Tuesday on the first day of testimony in his trial.

In opening arguments, assistant U.S. attorney Kathryn Fifield described Hale-Cusanelli as a man who promoted anti-Semitic conspiracy theories and who thought an armed political conflict was “inevitable.” Fifield said they would hear evidence that Hale-Cusanelli believed Jews were “controlling President Biden” when he and thousands of others stormed the U.S. Capitol Building on Jan. 6.

Lock his racist ### up…
I think this is the New Jersey guy.

I think this is the New Jersey guy.
Update on the New Jersey guy who likes to dress up like Hitler...

Timothy Hale-Cusanelli took the witness stand in his own defense today. By way of explaining why, he claimed, he didn't know Congress met in the U.S. Capitol Building, he offered jurors this: "I know this sounds idiotic, but I'm from New Jersey."

Local DC Reporter Jordan Fischer, WUSA9 Article:

Capitol rioter had 'temper tantrum' on Jan. 6, defense says, but wasn't trying to overthrow government

WASHINGTON — A former Army reservist accused of obstructing the certification of electoral votes on Jan. 6 took the witness stand in his own defense Thursday – telling jurors that, despite his avid interest in politics and history, he had no idea Congress met in the U.S. Capitol Building.

Hale-Cusanelli, who faces a felony charge of obstruction of an official proceeding that could result in years in prison if convicted, took the stand after two full days of testimony from government witnesses. 

Was it credible, Seifert asked, to believe a man who could explain the 17th Amendment – which established the popular election of U.S. senators in 1912 – or quote Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin on the fly also somehow did not know the Capitol building housed Congress? And if so, she continued, why didn’t he ever mention that in an interview with the FBI, in text messages or in the conversation with his roommate?

-

Hale-Cusanelli - Statement of Facts

-

Oh my god I've posted so many times in this thread today I'm having a coronary...

:yawn:

Accidentally put this in the Committee thread, moving it here:

@dozer  I can't believe you haven't done the guy whose defense is that he didn't realize the Capitol was where Congress meets because he's from New Jersey. Best one yet! I saw it earlier and thought about posting it, but decided to leave it for the master.  I think we need to introduce a new type of criminal verdict- not guilty by reason of New Jersey.
That’s actually pretty funny.  

Scott MacFarlane Tweets:

The main takeaway from this thread is that many J6 defendants are asking for bench trials rather than facing a DC jury.

Fitzsimons Complaint and Statement of Fact

High-level Jan 6 defendant Kyle Fitzsimons, who among other things allegedly wore a butcher coat amid the riotous mob, is about to appear in court.

He's expected to talk about request for a BENCH TRIAL... putting his fate in hands of judge, rather than jury…

His defense lawyer has just told the judge:

FItzsimons is waiving his right to trial by jury.  He's going to put his case in the hands of federal judge Rudolph Contreras.

Feds says Fitzsimons lowered his shoulder & charged into police line... He pulled an officer's gas mask off, as another in mob sprayed officer in the face…

Judge says some court filings indicate Kyle Fitzsimons is worried about the "Deep state"

Then judge says some "of the folks on the internet" write about the judges being part of the deep state

Judge:  Is Fitzsimons sure he wants to put fate in my hands?

Defense attorney:  "Mr. Fitzsimons believes the only fair trial he can receive is a bench trial"

Judge:  "I was the judge in the MIchael Flynn case... is he aware of that?"

Defense:  Yes.

Judge: "I'm friends with the former FBI agent Peter Strzok.. he's been the center of many conspiracy theories involving President Trump"     

Defense:  Not aware of Strzok friendship…

To be cont…

dozer said:
Update on the New Jersey guy who likes to dress up like Hitler...

Timothy Hale-Cusanelli took the witness stand in his own defense today. By way of explaining why, he claimed, he didn't know Congress met in the U.S. Capitol Building, he offered jurors this: "I know this sounds idiotic, but I'm from New Jersey."

Local DC Reporter Jordan Fischer, WUSA9 Article:

Capitol rioter had 'temper tantrum' on Jan. 6, defense says, but wasn't trying to overthrow government

WASHINGTON — A former Army reservist accused of obstructing the certification of electoral votes on Jan. 6 took the witness stand in his own defense Thursday – telling jurors that, despite his avid interest in politics and history, he had no idea Congress met in the U.S. Capitol Building.

Hale-Cusanelli, who faces a felony charge of obstruction of an official proceeding that could result in years in prison if convicted, took the stand after two full days of testimony from government witnesses. 

Was it credible, Seifert asked, to believe a man who could explain the 17th Amendment – which established the popular election of U.S. senators in 1912 – or quote Thomas Jefferson and Benjamin Franklin on the fly also somehow did not know the Capitol building housed Congress? And if so, she continued, why didn’t he ever mention that in an interview with the FBI, in text messages or in the conversation with his roommate?

-

Hale-Cusanelli - Statement of Facts

-

Oh my god I've posted so many times in this thread today I'm having a coronary...

:yawn:
After 5.5 hours of deliberation, a jury found Timothy Hale-Cusanelli GUILTY on all five counts including felony obstruction charge. Judge McFadden said he was open to enhancement at sentencing, saying he found some testimony "highly dubious."

Two jurors outside the courthouse said they found Timothy Hale-Cusanelli's testimony "contradictory." Didn't believe someone with this education in history would not know Congress did business in the U.S. Capitol Building.

Timothy Hale-Cusanelli's adoptive aunt, Cynthia Hughes, also spoke to reporters outside of court after the verdict. She said the result confirmed to her that #CapitolRiot defendants can't get a fair trial in D.C., calling it a "character assassination." (Cusanelli is a Nazi sympathizer)

Full Article From WUSA9 in DC

Timothy Hale-Cusanelli's adoptive aunt, Cynthia Hughes, also spoke to reporters outside of court after the verdict. She said the result confirmed to her that #CapitolRiot defendants can't get a fair trial in D.C., calling it a "character assassination." (Cusanelli is a Nazi sympathizer)

Poor fella can't get a fair trial.  Two in the back of the head should suffice.

After 5.5 hours of deliberation, a jury found Timothy Hale-Cusanelli GUILTY on all five counts including felony obstruction charge. Judge McFadden said he was open to enhancement at sentencing, saying he found some testimony "highly dubious."

Two jurors outside the courthouse said they found Timothy Hale-Cusanelli's testimony "contradictory." Didn't believe someone with this education in history would not know Congress did business in the U.S. Capitol Building.

Full Article From WUSA9 in DC
No sweetie, that's character  suicide

Speaking of Americans who should not be allowed to own a gun…

NBC News Article:

New evidence reveals coordination between Oath Keepers, Three Percenters on Jan. 6

Derek Kinnison, a self-identified member of the Three-Percenter militia group, was one of six California men indicted by a federal grand jury last year in connection with the Jan. 6 attack on the U.S. Capitol. 

Kinnison, the indictment alleged, was part of a conspiracy to obstruct the certification of President Joe Biden’s electoral college victory, joining a group that came to D.C. armed and “ready and willing to fight” in the nation’s capital.

People are still being arrested…

Devin Steiner and his brother-in-law Adam Miller were both charged this week: Statement of Facts

On or about January 26, 2021, the Government received an anonymous online tip that DEVIN STEINER participated in the riot at the U.S. Capitol on January 6, 2021. The tip provided STEINER’s address as Something Something Street, Wooster, Ohio.

Your affiant reviewed a video of footage from the U.S. Capitol Building on January 6, 2021, which is posted on a YouTube Channel named “Benjamin Reports.” At approximately 26:20 of the video, U.S. Capitol Police are seen asking people inside the U.S. Capitol to leave through what is believed to be an “Upper House Door.” At approximately 27:25 of the video, an individual believed to be STEINER is observed walking towards the Upper House Door to exit the U.S. Capitol Building. The individual is wearing a camouflage jacket, a red, white and blue winter beanie hat with the word “TRUMP” and a circular patch with the number “45,” and a light brown colored JanSport backpack. Another male, believed to be DEVIN STEINER’s brother-in- law, ADAM MILLER, is walking behind STEINER, and the two individuals appear to be together. The individual believed to be ADAM MILLER is wearing a black jacket, a dark colored backpack and a cowboy hat, with what appears to be an American flag printed on the top as the upper portion of the cowboy hat is blue or brown with stars. Seconds later, MILLER and STEINER are seen re- entering the U.S. Capitol Building.

From Scott MacFarlane:

NEW:  In Memorial Day court filing, Justice Dept asks for continued pretrial detention of former sheriff's deputy Ron McAbee in US Capitol riot case.

McAbee Indictment

Feds argue Mcabee of Tennessee carried baton, wore brass-knuckled gloves, dragged police into the mob…

In previous court filings in McAbee's case... prosecutors allege this sequence of events for a DC police officer attacked in the riot.

Yeah, and I imagine if one was a January 6 participant who hasn't been identified yet, you are probably always on pins and needles and get a chill every time there is knock on your front door.  
Do me a favor, barricade the door, don't let em in...... yeah, yeah, yeah

Buzzfeed Article by Zoe Tillman

The First Jan. 6 Defendant To Go To Trial Was Found Guilty On All Counts

Reffitt’s case isn’t formally connected to any of the hundreds of pending criminal prosecutions stemming from the attack on the Capitol, but the verdict is a major win for the government.

A wild card in all of this was how a jury would respond to the government’s strategy for trying to hold each defendant responsible for a mass attack.

The jury spent roughly three hours deliberating; jurors were sent out shortly before 10 a.m. on Tuesday, and the judge announced they’d reached a decision at 1:30 p.m. 

They did not have any questions for the judge while they deliberated. 

Reffitt is set to be sentenced in-person before US District Judge Dabney Friedrich on June 8. He’ll remain in custody until then.
Sentencing is scheduled for June 30 in the Capitol riot case of Guy Reffitt, the first defendant convicted at trial.

FBI says, Josiah Hueso, known to online sleuths as “Josiah Trump Supporter,” was recently arrested in San Diego, per court records.

Hueso: Statement of Facts

"HUESO stated that he observed a male individual grab a crowbar, break the window of a side door, and reach his hand in and open the door. Once the door was opened, a crowd of people rushed over."

Here's footage from a Jan. 6 trial of what that break-in by the Senate Parliamentarian's office looked like from the inside…

Users who are viewing this thread