What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jarvis Jones, bad output in 2nd start. ✦✦✦ (1 Viewer)

BigSteelThrill

Footballguy
Rookie Jones to make first start for Steelers against Bengals
September 11, 2013 4:19 pm

By Gerry Dulac / Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

The Steelers plan to increase the number of snaps outside linebacker Jarvis Jones plays against the Cincinnati Bengals, and it appears that will happen in a big way.

Jones, the team's No. 1 draft choice, said he is running with the first-team defense in practice and plans to stay there for Monday night's nationally televised game.

"That's the way it is right now," Jones said after today's practice. "As long as I continue to keep doing what I'm doing, I hope it stays like that."

Jason Worilds started the season opener against the Tennessee Titans and was rotated every third series with Jones at right outside linebacker. On the second play of his first series, Jones made a jarring tackle on running back Chris Johnson, dropping him for a 2-yard loss.

After that, he played even more in the second half. Worilds played 47 snaps against the Titans, Jones 26. The Steelers wanted to shrink that disparity this week.

"It's my dream, it's something I definitely want to do is start and be in that rotation and fight with my guys," Jones said. "I just want to continue to strive for the best and keep getting better.

"Any role that I can contribute to helping my team win, whether it's starting or co-starting or coming off the bench, I'm going to accept it and play to the best of my ability. At the end of the day, I can't control anything, as far as the coach's decision. The only thing I can do is put my work out there, put my resume out there."
Earlier reports this week stated that it would be Worilds still starting but Jones getting a big increase (that would be splitting 50/50) to his snaps for the game. And possibly more overall with Jones' occasional spelling of Woodley.

But this seems to state something different.

http://www.post-gazette.com/stories/sports/steelers/rookie-jones-to-make-first-start-for-steelers-against-bengals-702839/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Last edited by a moderator:
7 solos and 1 assist in his first start. Also got to the QBs face a couple times.

Not a bad first showing for the rookie.

Still he was spelled by Worilds pretty often. So had a lot more ceiling on that tackle total last night.

Last edited by a moderator:
7 solos and 1 assist in his first start. Also got to the QBs face a couple times.

Not a bad first showing for the rookie.

Still he was spelled by Worilds pretty often. So had a lot more ceiling on that tackle total last night.
Nice post. He looks as good as advertised.

I had to step away midway thru the third quarter but up to that time Jarvis was not good or bad, he looked like a rookie, especially on some of his drops in coverage early on.

On the pass rush I saw, one nice pressure from the outside and I believe one hit but many times he wasn't getting near Dalton.

From PFF.

Pittsburgh Steelers: After a sub-par 2012, Lamarr Woodley is having a strong start to 2013 with a Pass Rushing Productivity of 16.4% which is third-best for 3-4 outside linebackers. Unfortunately it doesn’t matter much who is lining up on the other side of him as Jason Worilds has yet to have a pressure while Jarvis Jones just has two.

Jones also had two stops for zero gain and at least a couple of plays where he stood up his blocker, something many still don't think he's capable of for some odd reason, forcing the RB to divert back towards pursuit where they were stopped.

7-8 totals stops in limited snaps? As a rookie starting his first pro game? He showed the functional strength to win one-on-one in the run game and he got to Gingy a couple of times without finishing. I think he was only beaten in coverage once(short in the flat to Gresham). He did just fine.

If his snap counts continue to increase, and Worilds has shown nothing at all to halt that from happening so far, then the big plays should follow.

I really wasn't following the game but didn't notice JJ all that much.

How'd he look and what'd he do this week?
Not much really. Him and Woodley seemed to have "flipped the script" with the Woodleys LOLB getting lots of blitz calls and Jarvis having plenty of coverage and edge-set calls.

Terrible stats for week 2. Started and played 2/3 of snaps (67%) compared to Worilds 33%.

But Jones had only 1 solo tackle. Worilds had nothing. The Steelers did run 72 plays on offense compared to 50 for Minnesota, but still.

Terrible stats for week 2. Started and played 2/3 of snaps (67%) compared to Worilds 33%.

But Jones had only 1 solo tackle. Worilds had nothing. The Steelers did run 72 plays on offense compared to 50 for Minnesota, but still.
Didn't see much of that game other than highlights and saw nothing of Jarvis.

I'm assuming you saw the game and that you probably noticed something.

What is your take?

Just one of those low stat games or do you see something in his game?

In a previous game I was focusing in on him and came away thinking the he looked like a rookie. Nothing really stood out but you have more data points so what is your take?

Bracie Smathers said:

Didn't see much of that game other than highlights and saw nothing of Jarvis.

I'm assuming you saw the game and that you probably noticed something.

What is your take?

Just one of those low stat games or do you see something in his game?

In a previous game I was focusing in on him and came away thinking the he looked like a rookie. Nothing really stood out but you have more data points so what is your take?
I saw part of the game and never saw Jones or Worilds doing much of anything. Just kind of setting the edge.

Users who are viewing this thread