What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (1 Viewer)

zftcg said:
What kinds of trades or offers are people getting for Hill in standard-scoring leagues? I've been shopping him like crazy in package deals, but thinking maybe it's better to just do a straight-up RB-for-WR swap. So what is the WR comp?
Traded Jordy Nelson and Hill today for DeMarco Murray. I was loaded at WR, 10-0, already in the semi's and not worried about Murray's bye. Other guy needed to win this week to have a shot.

Bengals RB Giovani Bernard sits out Friday's practice
by Igor Mello | CBSSports.com
(11:06 am ET) Bengals running back Giovani Bernard was unable to practice Friday, putting him in danger of missing another week of action, according to ESPN. Instead of practicing, Bernard went through on-field rehab work for the third consecutive day, as he continues to recover from a hip injury. Bernard has missed the last two games with hip and clavicle issues. He has rushed for 446 yards and five touchdowns this season. He has also compiled 179 receiving yards through seven games.

Any thoughts on tomorrow's match-up? I heard some stat a week ago (before the SF game) that NO has been very good vs the run at home this year, but if you look at who they've played, it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row: MINN, TB, GB and then SF, who totally gashed them. Lacy did OK (13/59/0), but NO ran away with the game in the second half, which is certainly something that could happen to Cinci as well. Meanwhile, in road games NO got steamrollered by Murray (join the club), gave up decent yardage to the CLE/ATL committees, and held DET/CAR mostly in check.

Overall, I'd rate it a neutral match-up, maybe slightly negative. Probably not enough to get me to stick him into my lineup over Bradshaw or Ellington.

Any thoughts on tomorrow's match-up? I heard some stat a week ago (before the SF game) that NO has been very good vs the run at home this year, but if you look at who they've played, it hasn't exactly been a murderer's row: MINN, TB, GB and then SF, who totally gashed them. Lacy did OK (13/59/0), but NO ran away with the game in the second half, which is certainly something that could happen to Cinci as well. Meanwhile, in road games NO got steamrollered by Murray (join the club), gave up decent yardage to the CLE/ATL committees, and held DET/CAR mostly in check.

Overall, I'd rate it a neutral match-up, maybe slightly negative. Probably not enough to get me to stick him into my lineup over Bradshaw or Ellington.
I'd be a little concerned that the saints pull cincy off the run, but it just depends on your alts.

the actual saints d isn't scaring me off.

If cin falls behind by 2+ scores there is risk of a disappearance like last week. Blue on the other hand will get targets in same situation. Both should do well with a lead.

Would anyone bench Hill for Alfred Blue?
I have both and although I am playing both, I would have Hill in front of Blue. They are both pretty good options this week, but I think the Bengals bounce back and play a decent game, so Hill will be a shoo in for at least 100 yards.

meatwad1 said:
Squintz82 said:
Would anyone bench Hill for Alfred Blue?
I have both and although I am playing both, I would have Hill in front of Blue. They are both pretty good options this week, but I think the Bengals bounce back and play a decent game, so Hill will be a shoo in for at least 100 yards.
You are welcome.

Acrobat7 said:
Kwai Chang Caine said:
I am sorely tempted to bench Hill for CJ Anderson. I feel it's highly likely the Saints at home obliterate the bengals.
I'm in your position and am doing the same. But I'm going back and forth with it...
Changed my mind at last minute based on reports of ball getting more action. Whew...

He doesn't run with much power fora. Guy his size, the upright style plays a part in that. Consistently anyway. He has splash plays, but goes down too easily frequently. He doesn't have a skill set that says passing downs rb either. I have the option to keep him from my college taxi and probably will, but it would take a special situation for me to target him in my other.
:porked:

I actually think he looked ok. Not a great fantasy night but not as much a disaster as it seems. Nfl teams aren't as fickle as fantasy owners. He might even be a bargain again after an outing like this.

I do think this is a good reminder that just because a backup rb gets a solo start and looks good doing it, doesn't mean they're hoping to continue to do well. It felt like people were projecting 160 yards and 2 tds per game the rest of the way, and that's obviously never going to happen. But good running backs can easily have a crappy 12 for 55 game, expecially against an amped up defense like Cleveland had tonight.

I would love it if we could stop the individual calling out crap and just discuss these things like grownups. Not sure if that's along to much for an Internet message board but I'm not going back and bumping anything tonight. It was one data point in a 16 game season. He may get another solo start next week, and I wish his owners well then too.
Only post I'm going to bump is the one I posted after last week's game.He looked good tonight. Continued good luck to his owners this season.

Gonna be a major headache for me when Gio is back. Say bye bye to upside for both of them. Wish Hugh would throw to his RBs.

The only question is about usage. How will he and Gio split? I think it's going to be a high stakes crapshoot with the winner having big numbers. I see a hot hand approach possibly.

The only question is about usage. How will he and Gio split? I think it's going to be a high stakes crapshoot with the winner having big numbers. I see a hot hand approach possibly.
This is interesting:

Giovani Bernard (hip, shoulder) worked out with the Bengals' wide receivers prior to Sunday's game at New Orleans.
Per beat reporter Coley Harvey, Bernard was "cutting well" and "moving well" in the Bengals' wide receivers line. Gio has been ruled out for Week 11, but Harvey takes this as a "promising sign" he will return in Week 12. Nov 16 - 11:11 AM

Obviously I don't think they are going to move him to WR, and the WR workouts are likely less strenuous on his hip - but it could be some clue that the team sees the writing on the wall that Hill is the better runner. The team would be smart to use Gio in more of a passing down role going forward. Perhaps a Darren Sproles type role is in the cards for Bernard which would leave plenty of work for Hill.

This is interesting:

Giovani Bernard (hip, shoulder) worked out with the Bengals' wide receivers prior to Sunday's game at New Orleans.

Per beat reporter Coley Harvey, Bernard was "cutting well" and "moving well" in the Bengals' wide receivers line. Gio has been ruled out for Week 11, but Harvey takes this as a "promising sign" he will return in Week 12. Nov 16 - 11:11 AM
Obviously I don't think they are going to move him to WR, and the WR workouts are likely less strenuous on his hip - but it could be some clue that the team sees the writing on the wall that Hill is the better runner. The team would be smart to use Gio in more of a passing down role going forward. Perhaps a Darren Sproles type role is in the cards for Bernard which would leave plenty of work for Hill.
THIs is what I was thinking would happen before the season started. Maybe now that Hill has shown what he's capable of it will actually happen.

Gio should be use how he was used last year, just with more opportunities than last year. I never understood why they were trying to run him between the tackles 10+ times per game earlier this year.

Dalton sucks. There's no reason that Hill and Gio shouldn't have 40 touches between the 2 of them every game. Pound the ball with Hill, throw some screens to Gio and then when the defense moves up, throw a deep ball to Green. They really shouldn't be doing anything else.

Gio should be use how he was used last year, just with more opportunities than last year. I never understood why they were trying to run him between the tackles 10+ times per game earlier this year.

Dalton sucks. There's no reason that Hill and Gio shouldn't have 40 touches between the 2 of them every game. Pound the ball with Hill, throw some screens to Gio and then when the defense moves up, throw a deep ball to Green. They really shouldn't be doing anything else.
I vote steveski for Bengals OC.

Signed,

Gio & Hill owner

Too bad they wont do that.

A hot hand approach would be great for Hill, given that Gio has been dreadful running the ball this year and, aside from one long run, has yet to actually have a hot hand.

The bigger concern for Hill owners is that, despite his indefinitely cold hand, they keep forcing Gio up the middle like they did for the first half of the season.

Hill's November to remember

From Elias: Jeremy Hill gained 152 yards on 27 carries in the Bengals' 27-10 victory at New Orleans. That was just 2 yards short of Hill's total against the Jaguars two weeks ago. Only six other rookies in NFL history gained at least 150 rushing yards in each of two games in the same calendar month: Matt Snell (Oct. 1964), Billy Sims (Sept. 1980), Olandis Gary (Dec. 1999), Jamal Lewis (Nov. 2000), Clinton Portis (Dec. 2002), and Kevin Jones (Dec. 2004).

Following Sunday's 152-yard gashing of the Saints, Bengals coach Marvin Lewis referred to Jeremy Hill as "a very complete player."

Averaging 4.92 YPC on 113 carries during his rookie year, Hill has shown the ability to be a true foundation back and a centerpiece of Cincinnati's offense. "Jeremy is such a tough runner," observed Lewis. "As he keeps going and just becomes a Bengal and just plays football, he'll only be more and more impressive. "He's got a lot of ability - he's strong, he can cut and run, he's got great speed, great vision and can catch the football. He's a very complete player. As a young guy, he's showing a lot right now. We've got to feel good about that."

I still stand by this assessment:

Cincinnati has two really good backs.
And this one:

Hill's style looks a bit like DeMarco Murray.
Unfortunately I don't think Hill will get 400 carries per season like Murray as long as Gio is around.

He's certainly shown enough to be given a bigger workload though.

This is great news for the Bengals, but it just raises question marks for fantasy owners.

In keeper/dynasty I wouldn't fault anyone for selling high if you got a great player in return. But personally I'm holding to see what happens.

I just looked up the stats and was surprised to see that Hill and Gio are close to being even.

Hill has 129 total touches. Gio has 131.

Hill has 100 more rushing yards while Gio is slightly ahead in receiving yards.

Both have 5 rushing TDs and zero receiving TDs.

Hill has more fantasy points in my league. He is currently RB15 while Gio is RB17.

That's not the whole story though, since Hill has been boosted by a couple of big games. But I'm still betting that those big games have earned him a bigger share of the work going forward. I think he can be a solid flex start the rest of the way.

Hill doesn't seem to be getting much love in rankings so far this week. I guess it's because of the "wait and see" aspect for Gio, but I still think he's a good flex start.

I just looked up the stats and was surprised to see that Hill and Gio are close to being even.

Hill has more fantasy points in my league. He is currently RB15 while Gio is RB17.

That's not the whole story though, since Hill has been boosted by a couple of big games. But I'm still betting that those big games have earned him a bigger share of the work going forward. I think he can be a solid flex start the rest of the way.
Hill has 11 games. Gio has 8.

Hill has 11 games. Gio has 8.
10 games to 7 actually, with the bye.

Hill's YPC is 4.9

Gio is 4.1

I don't get how anyone can rank Gio ahead of Hill this week, at least in standard leagues. Makes no sense. He's going to get GL and 50/50 split in carries at worst. I think its probably 60-40 in Hill's favor even. Maybe more. Think of it in terms of FJax/Spiller with FJax being the better option even though everyone preferred Spiller.

Users who are viewing this thread