What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeremy Hill, RB (LVR) (1 Viewer)

I love having the option of watching a Thursday night game, but am stuck between starting Bowe (Thursday) or Hill. Dodds is leaning basically towards anyone but Hill in his rankings.

I don't get how anyone can rank Gio ahead of Hill this week, at least in standard leagues. Makes no sense. He's going to get GL and 50/50 split in carries at worst. I think its probably 60-40 in Hill's favor even. Maybe more. Think of it in terms of FJax/Spiller with FJax being the better option even though everyone preferred Spiller.
Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Trembley 21 Gio / 31 Hill

Both standard scoring.

That's the opinion of two pretty smart dudes. I'm scratching my head like you, but they get paid to figure this stuff out and generally do quite well.

I don't get how anyone can rank Gio ahead of Hill this week, at least in standard leagues. Makes no sense. He's going to get GL and 50/50 split in carries at worst. I think its probably 60-40 in Hill's favor even. Maybe more. Think of it in terms of FJax/Spiller with FJax being the better option even though everyone preferred Spiller.
Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

That's the opinion of two pretty smart dudes. I'm scratching my head like you, but they get paid to figure this stuff out and generally do quite well.
Yeah, plus it is early week and they are likely erring on the side of caution assuming Gio returns and to near previous role. Once practice reports come out for Wed/Thurs and they update projections we will see where they rank them.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

Don't they rank using the PPR format? Assuming since the FFPC is all PPR, that would be a yes. I can somewhat understand it then, but standard scoring its really just bizarre. The Cinci brass isn't just going to revert back to the pre-Gio injury gameplan after seeing Hill go beast mode in his absence...

Hill's numbers are going to shrink. That's unquestionable. He isn't going to get 25-30 carries a game with Giovani in the lineup.

I think Giovani is going to have numbers that closely resemble last year. His upside is higher, only if he becomes a more consistent threat in the passing game.

Hill's upside is what we've seen the past few weeks. That upside is over when Gio comes back. I'm not saying either is better than the other, just that realistically, they will cut into each other's production.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

Don't they rank using the PPR format? Assuming since the FFPC is all PPR, that would be a yes. I can somewhat understand it then, but standard scoring its really just bizarre. The Cinci brass isn't just going to revert back to the pre-Gio injury gameplan after seeing Hill go beast mode in his absence...
i'm sure it's PPR. I would anticipate both backs to get around 15 carries, with Gio getting more receptions. Also, Gio is great on the goalline, so while Hill will get 15 carries, he won't necessarily be the goalline back. Gio attacks the LOS, and has shown to be an excellent goalline back. Probably whoever is on the field when they get inside the 5 will take the goalline carries.

He's going to get GL and 50/50 split in carries at worst. I think its probably 60-40 in Hill's favor even. Maybe more.
Link? Can't seem to find that news.
There is no link. Its my opinion. Although I agree with Shader, they would probably just use whichever back is in at the time if they're near the GL.
So basically they'll continue to do exactly what they did before?
Right because roles/game plans never change on NFL teams.

He's going to get GL and 50/50 split in carries at worst. I think its probably 60-40 in Hill's favor even. Maybe more.
Link? Can't seem to find that news.
There is no link. Its my opinion. Although I agree with Shader, they would probably just use whichever back is in at the time if they're near the GL.
So basically they'll continue to do exactly what they did before?
Right because roles/game plans never change on NFL teams.
I'm just trying to understand your point about the goal line. Before Gio was hurt, both backs would stay in on the goal line during their series. What are you saying will change?

The GL statement I retracted, I think they let whoever is in just take the rep. Both are fine there as other posters pointed out. My main point is his usage will certainly be going up. Do you really think Hill will avg 7 rushes/game now with Gio back? That's what he did with Gio prior to the injury. I don't see it and frankly I see Hill getting the majority of carries moving fwd.

The GL statement I retracted, I think they let whoever is in just take the rep. Both are fine there as other posters pointed out. My main point is his usage will certainly be going up. Do you really think Hill will avg 7 rushes/game now with Gio back? That's what he did with Gio prior to the injury. I don't see it and frankly I see Hill getting the majority of carries moving fwd.
While it wouldnt be hard to fathom Hill getting the majority of the carries going forward. I think what will likely happen is Hill will get 12 - 15 touches with Gio getting about the same or a little more. Of course game flow and plan will dictate the overall numbers. Pretty sure most people can buy it being a pretty close split...not Hill taking over lead dog work.

I think the best-case for both is a Joique Bell/Reggie Bush type of split from 2013

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

I will say this...this is the one part about FBG that kind of frustrates me....Gio is coming off of a pretty serious hip injury that has had him out for awhile......Hill is coming off of some pretty impressive games......we have no idea at this point how much, if it all Gio will play....

if these guys (Dodds especially) actually know something that justifies these rankings, they should be sharing that info with the paid subscribers.....what do they know already that we don't...?....otherwise IMO these rankings should probably be reversed at this point based on the fact we have no clue what Gio role will be now on his return and HIll has been a monster....

sorry but I'm calling BS.....if it's not....then this is a situation I feel that FBG need to give an explanation (to the subscribers) about these rankings.....cause it doesn't make any sense right now.........

and it needs to be done before the Thursday game for those using it to make decisions....

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the best-case for both is a Joique Bell/Reggie Bush type of split from 2013
This is accurate in my opinion.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

I will say this...this is the one part about FBG that kind of frustrates me....Gio is coming off of a pretty serious hip injury that has had him out for awhile......Hill is coming off of some pretty impressive games......we have no idea at this point how much, if it all Gio will play....

if these guys (Dodds especially) actually know something that justifies these rankings, they should be sharing that info with the paid subscribers.....what do they know already that we don't...?....otherwise IMO these rankings should probably be reversed at this point based on the fact we have no clue what Gio role will be now on his return and HIll has been a monster....

sorry but I'm calling BS.....if it's not....then this is a situation I feel that FBG need to give an explanation (to the subscribers) about these rankings.....cause it doesn't make any sense right now.........

and it needs to be done before the Thursday game for those using it to make decisions....
I think these are ppr rankings. If so, I'd say they are accurate.

If Gio gets an extra 2-3 receptions a game, with an extra 20 yards a game...That's about 5 additional ppg more than Hill, if you assume that Gio and Hill split carries.

Now the question I have for the Bengals is whether Gio will really get that many more receptions a game. I don't know if he will. It depends on if the Bengals script plays for him and try to get him the ball in space, or whether he's just a checkdown option for Dalton (which hasn't been going well this year and has gotten him hurt)

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

If Gio gets an extra 2-3 receptions a game, with an extra 20 yards a game...That's about 5 additional ppg more than Hill, if you assume that Gio and Hill split carries.

Now the question I have for the Bengals is whether Gio will really get that many more receptions a game. I don't know if he will. It depends on if the Bengals script plays for him and try to get him the ball in space, or whether he's just a checkdown option for Dalton (which hasn't been going well this year and has gotten him hurt)
bass said they were standard scoring rankings

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

Hasn't Bernard pretty much sucked between the tackles? I expect Hill to have more success running the ball than Bernard. Perhaps Bernard will have more success in space catching dink and dunk passes.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

Hasn't Bernard pretty much sucked between the tackles? I expect Hill to have more success running the ball than Bernard. Perhaps Bernard will have more success in space catching dink and dunk passes.
I agree that Hill is doing a better job as a traditional RB than Giovani. I think the sample size is small, but so far, I like Hill's ability better as a traditional RB.

I do think Giovani can improve, however. I get the impression that Giovani has been told not to "dance" at some point in his life. He attacks the LOS and isn't as good at waiting on holes to develop. If he can have a bit more patience, he could be dynamite.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

I agree that Hill is doing a better job as a traditional RB than Giovani. I think the sample size is small, but so far, I like Hill's ability better as a traditional RB.

I do think Giovani can improve, however. I get the impression that Giovani has been told not to "dance" at some point in his life. He attacks the LOS and isn't as good at waiting on holes to develop. If he can have a bit more patience, he could be dynamite.
That's a lot of what ifs.

Gio and Hill are both very good. Dalton still isn't very good. If they get a lead, H

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

That's a lot of what ifs.
I think it's just the one.

Dodds projecting 18/12 touches in favor of Gio.....Gio getting 15 carries to 10 for Hill

so at least some are expecting Gio to be the lead in a committee.....man I just don't see it....

what I do see is what has been working....and that's Hill.....

huge game for Cincy.....I'd roll with the hot hand as oppossed to pressing the issue of seeing how my guy "responds in first game back after injury"....not sure Cincy can afford waste a few series early to see what Gio brings back to the table.....if they get a lead with Hill, then I could see Gio getting more work....

I won't pretend to know the splits going forward, I will point to this presser and see if they back up what was said, also some bias in fbg line of thinking in the "View" they take so that might be why Gio is ranked higher:

This came out before the Thu night game vs CLE, so Hill has had a good game and a bad game since then:

Mon 11/3/2014 8:22 AM

Cincinnati Bengals RB Giovani Bernard (hip) has zero chance of losing his starting job after RB Jeremy Hill's big game in Week 9, according to beat writer Coley Harvey. Footballguys View: Nobody expects Hill to take Bernard's job....the rookie is simply not as good as Bernard is. However, Hill is very talented, running with a blend of power and speed, so he could carve out a larger change-of-pace role when Bernard returns.

You know, I just look at Jeremy Hill and just see a 1400-1500 yard rusher just waiting to happen. Too bad the guys that really matter (in this case Hue Jackson and Marvin Lewis) probably won't see it that way.

These are the guys that insisted on giving a significant workload to a veteran scrub like Benjarvus Green-Slowest. Jackson seems to have some sort of aversion to handing the reins off to a rookie, even an extremely talented one.

We're going to have to wait until Week 12 to see how this plays out, unfortunately. It's possible that both guys will still have RB2 value, but unless one is out they will not have RB1 value.

I won't pretend to know the splits going forward, I will point to this presser and see if they back up what was said, also some bias in fbg line of thinking in the "View" they take so that might be why Gio is ranked higher:

This came out before the Thu night game vs CLE, so Hill has had a good game and a bad game since then:

Mon 11/3/2014 8:22 AM

Cincinnati Bengals RB Giovani Bernard (hip) has zero chance of losing his starting job after RB Jeremy Hill's big game in Week 9, according to beat writer Coley Harvey. Footballguys View: Nobody expects Hill to take Bernard's job....the rookie is simply not as good as Bernard is. However, Hill is very talented, running with a blend of power and speed, so he could carve out a larger change-of-pace role when Bernard returns.
First, that was week 9, this is week 12. "Not as good as Bernard is"? Please....give me a break, he's looked much better than Bernard has. IMO Bernard is better suited to COP duties.

Didn't I make it obvious that release was after the week9 game where it says "after his big game week 9"? :shrug: I think I placed the message in perfect context that the talent claim also wasn't mine. When you say, "First that was week 9 and this is week 12" you insinuate I was misleading people to think this was a recent release. Touchy Hill owner?

Point is after he had a big game week 9 Gio was expected to keep his role. Do you think Marvin Lewis philosophy has changed on Rookie RB since then? How many big games did Gio have before he replaced BJGE? that's right he never did supplant the starter.

Point is after he had a big game week 9 Gio was expected to keep his role. Do you think Marvin Lewis philosophy has changed on Rookie RB since then? How many big games did Gio have before he replaced BJGE? that's right he never did supplant the starter.
That was from the beat writer, not the coach.

Gio didn't have a single game even close to as good as two of Hill's (running the ball) during his entire rookie season.

I think it's likely to be close to 50/50, but the point is, there's really no way of knowing until we see it on the field.

Gio didn't have a single game even close to as good as two of Hill's (running the ball) during his entire rookie season.

I think it's likely to be close to 50/50, but the point is, there's really no way of knowing until we see it on the field.
He also never had games with 24 and 27 carries given to him in his rookie season.

He also never had games with 24 and 27 carries given to him in his rookie season.
That wasn't from beating out Gio.

Yes that is understood, "according to beat writer Coley Harvey" but why does he think this? Is it because of Lewis's history with rookie backs?

proninja said:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/11/19/7251203/hue-jackson-will-ease-giovani-bernard-into-the-lineup

Cincinnati Bengals running back Giovani Bernard was a limited participant during Wednesday's practice, indicating that his return could happen as soon as this weekend against the Houston Texans. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson "indicated" that the team will "ease" Bernard, who has missed three games with injuries to hip and clavicle, "back into the lineup".

In the meantime, Jackson won't just take advantage of Jeremy Hill's production, but he intends to increase his number of touches

"He deserves it," Jackson said via Bengals.com. "With Gio just coming back, it's going to be hard for me to just thrust him in there and let him go again. I think we have to work him into our process. What will determine that is just how fast and how ready he is to go."
So Gio and Hill owners need to decide who's the better start

The ease in Gio talk is comforting. Might be able to get at least rb2 numbers out of him this week. If he has another strong outing it just forces their hands even more to give him at least 40-50% of the touches.

proninja said:
http://www.cincyjungle.com/2014/11/19/7251203/hue-jackson-will-ease-giovani-bernard-into-the-lineup

Cincinnati Bengals running back Giovani Bernard was a limited participant during Wednesday's practice, indicating that his return could happen as soon as this weekend against the Houston Texans. Offensive coordinator Hue Jackson "indicated" that the team will "ease" Bernard, who has missed three games with injuries to hip and clavicle, "back into the lineup".

In the meantime, Jackson won't just take advantage of Jeremy Hill's production, but he intends to increase his number of touches

"He deserves it," Jackson said via Bengals.com. "With Gio just coming back, it's going to be hard for me to just thrust him in there and let him go again. I think we have to work him into our process. What will determine that is just how fast and how ready he is to go."
This has to bump Hill up the rankings a bit for this weekend.

And? He asked how many big games Gio had last season before he replaced BJGE, and he had zero even close to what Hill just put up.

Dodds 13 Gio / 30 Hill

Both standard scoring.

I set it for standard, not ppr.

That wasn't from beating out Gio.

Yes that is understood, "according to beat writer Coley Harvey" but why does he think this? Is it because of Lewis's history with rookie backs?
The reason he had the big games is irrelevant- you tried to say that Gio didn't take over despite having big games last year, but his big games (from a rushing perspective) were no where near as big as Hill's, so it's a bad analogy from the get go.

Don't know what the writer is basing it on, just pointing out that it's different than having the coach say it (which wouldn't be all that meaningful either considering it was a couple of weeks ago and coaches aren't always honest). The recent comments which are actually from the coach aren't nearly as definitive.

Again, time will tell how it plays out.

Well hue said easing gio back in this week so we won't know the true split till gio is under normal load. Not this week.

Update from Rotoworld, FWIW:

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson expects Jeremy Hill to handle "the bulk of the carries until (Gio) Bernard’s hip and shoulder click back into place."
Playcaller Hue Jackson isn't naming a Week 12 starter, which leaves the door open for Hill to take over as the Bengals' primary runner, even with Bernard all set to play against the Texans. "I think my concern is keeping him healthy,’ Jackson said of Bernard, who missed the last three games. Asked if Hill has earned a bigger role, Jackson replied "I think he deserves it. ... I think Jeremy has done a tremendous job and he earns the right to play, there's no question about that. But it's always good to have two really good runners." Expect Hill to lead the Bengals in carries against Houston, and possibly carry the bulk of the workload the rest of the way. In fantasy, he's a borderline RB1.

Bengals.com's Geoff Hobson expects Jeremy Hill to handle "the bulk of the carries until (Gio) Bernard’s hip and shoulder click back into place."
Playcaller Hue Jackson isn't naming a Week 12 starter, which leaves the door open for Hill to take over as the Bengals' primary runner, even with Bernard all set to play against the Texans. "I think my concern is keeping him healthy,’ Jackson said of Bernard, who missed the last three games. Asked if Hill has earned a bigger role, Jackson replied "I think he deserves it. ... I think Jeremy has done a tremendous job and he earns the right to play, there's no question about that. But it's always good to have two really good runners." Expect Hill to lead the Bengals in carries against Houston, and possibly carry the bulk of the workload the rest of the way. In fantasy, he's a borderline RB1.
Pretty much what I expected all along. I actually don't think Gio will be used much at all this game, maybe a series here or there. At least for this week, Hill is the man again.

Pretty much what I expected all along. I actually don't think Gio will be used much at all this game, maybe a series here or there. At least for this week, Hill is the man again.
Were you also expecting Gio to be back to taking 1st team snaps today? Do they normally do that for the guy that "maybe gets a series here or there?" :P

According to ESPN's Coley Harvey, Bernard was "was back at No. 1 (duty) during open portion of practice." Bernard is perhaps fantasy's biggest wild card for Week 12, but it's beginning to appear as if he'll be returning to a workload resembling the one he was handling before going down. We still expect Jeremy Hill to maintain a bigger role on early downs, however. With the situation uncertain, both backs can be utilized as RB2s for Week 12.

mnmplayer said:
Well hue said easing gio back in this week so we won't know the true split till gio is under normal load. Not this week.
Which is why I said "time will tell".

All of the stuff you posted about what a beat writer wrote weeks ago and Gio's performances last year are meaningless- the circumstances are different.

Rotoworld:

Jeremy Hill - RB - Bengals

The Cincinnati Enquirer's Paul Dehner expects a 65:35 split favoring Jeremy Hill in the Bengals backfield Week 12 against the Texans.

Sounds about right. Hill has severely outplayed Bernard this season, averaging 5.73 YPC in his three starts compared to 4.09 for Gio. Earlier this week, OC Hue Jackson hinted at easing Bernard back into the mix after his three-game absence. Bernard also worked with the receivers last week, suggesting he'll be featured more as a pass-catcher out of the backfield while Hill hammers it between the tackles. Hill is a strong RB2 with RB1 upside.

Related: Giovani Bernard

Source: Cincinnati Enquirer

Nov 21 - 9:43 AM

Predicting the split is a futile effort. The coaches might have an intention but as Mike Tyson pointed out so eloquently "everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth." It's going to be what its going to be. Call it 50/50 but with only about 10% confidence in it actually being that. We don't know. Nobody does. No you, me, Hue Jackson, Gio Bernard, Jeremy Hill, Jonah Hill, or anyone else.

Just accept that Hill might get all, none, or some of the carries.

I would guess its a 17/8 split in favor of Hill, with Gio getting about 3-4 rec's.

I could see ~ 80 total yds for Hill and a score which is more then fine IMO

Users who are viewing this thread