What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerry Sandusky accused of child molestation (1 Viewer)

I've been hearing some criticism of the Penn State students on the radio this morning, the ones who went to Paterno's house last night and shouted their loyalty.

I don't think this group should be criticized. This is human nature. Someone whom they regard as "one of their own" is under attack nationally, and the common reaction is to rally around him. Bob Knight received the same treatment. Given all of the facts and time to reflect, I'm betting that many if not most of these students will come to regret the fact that they were such vocal supporters of Paterno once this story broke. But let's not blame them for reacting emotionally in the initial stages.
Are you kidding me? Bobby Knight and this situation are not even in the same stadium....Whats next...cheering Coach K if he was seen comitting a murder? This is raping a child....those students should be ashamed of themselves and I would be furious if it was one of my kids.
They're not rallying around Sandusky. They're rallying around Paterno who didn't rape anyone. Yes he probably helped to enable it, and for that I can't look at him the same way ever again. But I don't blame Penn State students for not seeing this the same way I do.
Frankly, like a number of people who have popped in here in Paterno's defense, I don't think they have taken the time to look into the real facts of the case. And that's no surprise, they're college kids. I don't hold any ill will against a single student, athlete or fan, but I would not stand in support of them until their leadership does the right thing and ####cans the people responsible for harboring a child molestor, even those who weren't indicted in the case.I can only guess we will see support for JoePa rapidly decline on campus as the facts become known. It's a lot to wrap your head around if you're 19 and spend every waking second in in Happy Valley land.

I can understand some support for JoePa but what's up with these videos? What the F are these kids running around chanting and cheering about? Makes this place seem like a cult. This is very disturbing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_IYmG1_V4&feature=player_embeddedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Myzg02QIv2s
Scary similar to religious institutions where laws and way of life is generated by your immediate circle. JoePa is "god" at PSU but outside that bubble isn't.This is where university's that generate sick amounts of money off their schools is not a good thing and shows that even when children are raped over decades people are willing to turn their back on them in fear it'll stop the money train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I can understand some support for JoePa but what's up with these videos? What the F are these kids running around chanting and cheering about? Makes this place seem like a cult. This is very disturbing.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JR_IYmG1_V4&feature=player_embeddedhttp://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Myzg02QIv2s
College-age kids can be pretty dumb. This is news? Have you seen the OWS protests?

I've been hearing some criticism of the Penn State students on the radio this morning, the ones who went to Paterno's house last night and shouted their loyalty.

I don't think this group should be criticized. This is human nature. Someone whom they regard as "one of their own" is under attack nationally, and the common reaction is to rally around him. Bob Knight received the same treatment. Given all of the facts and time to reflect, I'm betting that many if not most of these students will come to regret the fact that they were such vocal supporters of Paterno once this story broke. But let's not blame them for reacting emotionally in the initial stages.
Are you kidding me? Bobby Knight and this situation are not even in the same stadium....Whats next...cheering Coach K if he was seen comitting a murder? This is raping a child....those students should be ashamed of themselves and I would be furious if it was one of my kids.
They're not rallying around Sandusky. They're rallying around Paterno who didn't rape anyone. Yes he probably helped to enable it, and for that I can't look at him the same way ever again. But I don't blame Penn State students for not seeing this the same way I do.
Frankly, like a number of people who have popped in here in Paterno's defense, I don't think they have taken the time to look into the real facts of the case. And that's no surprise, they're college kids. I don't hold any ill will against a single student, athlete or fan, but I would not stand in support of them until their leadership does the right thing and ####cans the people responsible for harboring a child molestor, even those who weren't indicted in the case.I can only guess we will see support for JoePa rapidly decline on campus as the facts become known. It's a lot to wrap your head around if you're 19 and spend every waking second in in Happy Valley land.
I'd be surprised if most of those kids who were at the rally last night don't feel embarrassed or worse about their support once they really understand what's going on here. Right now they're in the "he did what he's supposed to do, why is everyone mad at Joepa" camp, but I don't think you can stay in that position for very long once you read the GJ report, actually think about the situation and realize that nothing was done to stop it for years.

He admitted that he didn't do more so why in the #### is he going to be able to coach the rest of the season? :confused:
That statement by an 84 year old man can be construed several ways. Based on his previous statement that he had no knowledge of all of those details in the 2002 incident, and assuming that he had no knowledge of the other things laid out in the grand jury report, of course in hindsight he would feel he should have done more.

http://deadspin.com/5857689/a-weeping-joe-paterno-just-spoke-to-students-gathered-outside-his-living-room-window

Havent seen mention yet of what Joe actually said to the students/supporters outside his house yesterday.

"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."
At first glance the bolded seems incredibly indicting, like belittling the victims' tragedy. I actually don’t think that’s what he meant..i think he just was referencing what others have told him to refer to the victims as. Either way, this was brutal. Did anyone present throw or shout something negative at the guy?
They cheered him.Loudly.

It was one of the more disturbing things I've seen in a while.
GTFO. It was a small group (relatively speaking) of drunk college kids. Don't act like this was a representation of the entire fan base. :rolleyes:
Who said it was the entire fan base? It happened just like I said it. Look at the video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7JXoXdIJQ7I&feature=youtu.be He has "fans" surrounding him shouting "We love you, JoePa".You can :rolleyes: but I say that's one of the most disturbing things I've seen in a while.

J
So if you found out that your grandfather, or someone you love and admire, had a moral lapse in judgement, you would turn your back on him?
JoePa has a hell of a lot of grandchildren? Strangest family reunion ever last night?
I wonder how many people would follow Joe if he were to announce he is going to a place in South America and calling it "Paternotown".

Sorry. Pedo State until further notice. When they start taking this seriously and doing the right thing, maybe then it might not be Pedo State. Get used to it.
Stupid.
Like I said, get used to it.
Get used to a lot of people thinking you're a moron.
I think I can handle it. Just like you will have to acclimate to everyone in this country forever associating Pedo State and Paterno with a vile coverup and helping and enabling and protecting a serial child rapist.

What's sick is that PSU picked generating (50?) million a year to cover this up over allowing children to be raped. I am sure they were too scared to call the cops on him thinking that this would tarnish their university and in effect generating $$$. I really hope civil action destroys this school. No way in hell just a few people knew about this. People talk, people whisper and to pick $ over children getting raped I can't think of a worse enough punishment.
Yes, because the 45K current students and the million or so alumni deserve the school to be destroyed because of six or seven people.

It will...to an extent, remember people cheering for OJ on the freeway as he was running from the police?

I've got two thoughts, which I'll make into two posts. One trying to put into perspective the crowd of PSU students and another my theory on why this is even worse than it looks.As for the Penn State students, I think they're an easy target. You can say they're young, dumb and drunk, and that's probably at least half right. It should go without saying that PSU students aren't in favor of child rape. Penn State students run the single largest philanthropic student-run organization in the entire world. Last year ALONE, PSU students raised $10M for children with cancer. So why are the supporting Paterno? I think they are reacting to what they seem is an unfair response by the media, which I can understand (if not agree with). Let's rank the cast of characters from most despicable to least:SanduskyENORMOUS GAPMcQuearySpanier, the President of the school, who covered this upCurley, the AD, who helped cover this upPaterno, the HC, who reported it to the AD and the PresidentYou can also throw PSU campus police and the regular police force on there, as they at least played a part in this (either in covering up or failing to prosecute). Not sure where they go on the list, but there's no doubt that police played a part in letting Sandusky roam free.Now, where is the media outrage directed?99% at Paterno. People are almost skipping over Sandusky, perhaps because it's so obvious that he ranks in the second most innercircle of hell, behind the Hitlers of history. McQueary? Nothing. Spanier and Curley? A little outrage. Paterno is by far getting most of the criticism.He's certainly taking for more heat than anyone else, and it's disproportionate to what he did. I can see how some Penn Staters might feel like the national media, which probably couldn't place State College on a map, now wants to go in and lynch State College's patron saint. Why isn't the national media ripping Sandusky and Spanier and the police with as much fire?The obvious answer, of course, is that no one really cares about Sandusky or Spanier. And that's just a sad raelity of our times. If we find out some pedophile in Ohio was doing this to kids but was an accountant, this would be a minor, minor story. There would be no national media. Personally, I understand that being the big dog brings the good and the bad. Just like when in football the QB is given too much credit when he wins and too much blame when he loses; well, Paterno was given so much praise and credit for decades, I have no problem with him now experiencing perhaps too much blame now. The focus shouldn't be squarely on him, but heavy is the heard who wears the crown. I've got no issue with that.But to a school with 50,000 people, don't be surprised that 500 of them are angry that JoePa is being made out to be public enemy no. 1. I can at least understand their perspective, and the actions of one or two percent of the campus should not reflect poorly on the students as a whole. In general, Penn State students are pretty stand up people and have a reputation for being as so. I'm sure the majority of the students are incredibly disappointed with Paterno's actions, and I'm sure the entire 50,000 students think Sandusky is the scum of the earth.
Joe takes the bullet because Joe IS PSU.At least thats the perception.I guess when you have a University President that wanted to fire him and he said no and Joe stayed, that shows you somewhat where the power lie.Paterno gets his ring kissed by PA Gov, the PA DA, and the PA head of the state police, along with town and local police. He's a figure of such enormity in that little fiefdom that you can't ignore it. He's practically a mascot for the school.I agree with your depth chart of the despicable but Joe had as much power as any coach in any program this side of Coach K.

What's sick is that PSU picked generating (50?) million a year to cover this up over allowing children to be raped. I am sure they were too scared to call the cops on him thinking that this would tarnish their university and in effect generating $$$. I really hope civil action destroys this school. No way in hell just a few people knew about this. People talk, people whisper and to pick $ over children getting raped I can't think of a worse enough punishment.
Yes, because the 45K current students and the million or so alumni deserve the school to be destroyed because of six or seven people.
:goodposting:

Paterno has preached for years the praises of being responsible and doing the right thing, that honesty, sacrifice and indeed selflessness are qualities that he tries in instill in young people.

Paterno is a hypocrite and he deserves to be given no quarter. I can't people are trying to defend him.

PEDO State is fitting.

Sorry. Pedo State until further notice. When they start taking this seriously and doing the right thing, maybe then it might not be Pedo State. Get used to it.
Stupid.
I think I can handle it. Just like you will have to acclimate to everyone in this country forever associating Pedo State and Paterno with a vile coverup and helping and enabling and protecting a serial child rapist.
Seriously though. Does referring to Penn St as 'Pedo St' make you feel better? Does it firmly plant your views as anti-child rape? What does it accomplish? Because, when you utter childish crap like this, it makes it very hard to take the rest of what you're saying seriously.FWIW, I'm on your side. None of these people deserve to breathe. The whole institution is going to be rocked to the foundation, and it should. Just keep in mind that resorting to juvenile name-calling severely detracts from your message.

What if everything their program was built upon was lies and fraud? This is much worse than what happened at SMU and they never got near this high up. If PedoSU doesn't deserve it to be taken from them then who does? What level of criminal cover-up is necessary to justify the dismantling of a whole program?

Stupid.
Seriously though. Does referring to Penn St as 'Pedo St' make you feel better? Does it firmly plant your views as anti-child rape? What does it accomplish? Because, when you utter childish crap like this, it makes it very hard to take the rest of what you're saying seriously.FWIW, I'm on your side. None of these people deserve to breathe. The whole institution is going to be rocked to the foundation, and it should. Just keep in mind that resorting to juvenile name-calling severely detracts from your message.
No, it's fine.

He admitted that he didn't do more so why in the #### is he going to be able to coach the rest of the season? :confused:
That statement by an 84 year old man can be construed several ways. Based on his previous statement that he had no knowledge of all of those details in the 2002 incident, and assuming that he had no knowledge of the other things laid out in the grand jury report, of course in hindsight he would feel he should have done more.
Of course he's going to say he had no knowledge or he'd be arrested right now. He made sure to cover this up to hopefully cover his ###. I really hope the worst punishment this scumbag gets isn't that he gets to simply retire at end of the season.More kids are coming out and I will be shocked if at the end of all of this that JoePa was clueless about this. In fact I believe it'll come out he knew most of what went on and because he didn't want HIS legacy to be tarnished (for being friends and hiring a horrible person) he was very involved in covering it up which is almost as bad as committing the acts themselves.

Sorry. Pedo State until further notice.

When they start taking this seriously and doing the right thing, maybe then it might not be Pedo State.

Get used to it.
Stupid.
I think the answer to that in Todd's case is obvious.From this point forward, most people will continue to despise this school until they clean house.

Paterno has preached for years the praises of being responsible and doing the right thing, that honesty, sacrifice and indeed selflessness are qualities that he tries in instill in young people.

Paterno is a hypocrite and he deserves to be given no quarter. I can't people are trying to defend him.
Remember when he said he couldn't retire because that would leave college football in the hands of "the Jackie Sherrills and the Barry Switzers"?Oops.

Why draw the line there? I'm taking my kids out of grade school and home educating them because Joe Pa has tarnished the very idea of "schools".

More than a few people knew about this. I don't think any university should be able to operate where the culture is so bad that a man can rape kids for decades at said university while people turn their backs. Hell I think yesterday ex PSU football players who played a many yeas ago said there were rumors about this guy loving kids.

Why draw the line there? I'm taking my kids out of grade school and home educating them because Joe Pa has tarnished the very idea of "schools".
I'm throwing away every blue and/or white item in my house.

I've got two thoughts, which I'll make into two posts. One trying to put into perspective the crowd of PSU students and another my theory on why this is even worse than it looks.As for the Penn State students, I think they're an easy target. You can say they're young, dumb and drunk, and that's probably at least half right. It should go without saying that PSU students aren't in favor of child rape. Penn State students run the single largest philanthropic student-run organization in the entire world. Last year ALONE, PSU students raised $10M for children with cancer. So why are the supporting Paterno? I think they are reacting to what they seem is an unfair response by the media, which I can understand (if not agree with). Let's rank the cast of characters from most despicable to least:SanduskyENORMOUS GAPMcQuearySpanier, the President of the school, who covered this upCurley, the AD, who helped cover this upPaterno, the HC, who reported it to the AD and the PresidentYou can also throw PSU campus police and the regular police force on there, as they at least played a part in this (either in covering up or failing to prosecute). Not sure where they go on the list, but there's no doubt that police played a part in letting Sandusky roam free.Now, where is the media outrage directed?99% at Paterno. People are almost skipping over Sandusky, perhaps because it's so obvious that he ranks in the second most innercircle of hell, behind the Hitlers of history. McQueary? Nothing. Spanier and Curley? A little outrage. Paterno is by far getting most of the criticism.He's certainly taking for more heat than anyone else, and it's disproportionate to what he did. I can see how some Penn Staters might feel like the national media, which probably couldn't place State College on a map, now wants to go in and lynch State College's patron saint. Why isn't the national media ripping Sandusky and Spanier and the police with as much fire?The obvious answer, of course, is that no one really cares about Sandusky or Spanier. And that's just a sad raelity of our times. If we find out some pedophile in Ohio was doing this to kids but was an accountant, this would be a minor, minor story. There would be no national media. Personally, I understand that being the big dog brings the good and the bad. Just like when in football the QB is given too much credit when he wins and too much blame when he loses; well, Paterno was given so much praise and credit for decades, I have no problem with him now experiencing perhaps too much blame now. The focus shouldn't be squarely on him, but heavy is the heard who wears the crown. I've got no issue with that.But to a school with 50,000 people, don't be surprised that 500 of them are angry that JoePa is being made out to be public enemy no. 1. I can at least understand their perspective, and the actions of one or two percent of the campus should not reflect poorly on the students as a whole. In general, Penn State students are pretty stand up people and have a reputation for being as so. I'm sure the majority of the students are incredibly disappointed with Paterno's actions, and I'm sure the entire 50,000 students think Sandusky is the scum of the earth.
I pretty much agree with all of this. They are making Joe the story, and people in here seem to be reveling in it as well, because Joe has been used as a moral compass often. The disproportionate outrage aimed at Paterno is for sensationaism/marketing for the media and a healthy does of schadenfreude along with some idiot college football fans of Pitt etc.Does Joe deserve blame? Yes. But people saying Joe is a main culprit and talking more about him then the actual child molester and those saying that the entire university itself should burn to the ground have their minds flooded with emotion and rage and are succumbing to a mob mentality.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been hearing some criticism of the Penn State students on the radio this morning, the ones who went to Paterno's house last night and shouted their loyalty. I don't think this group should be criticized. This is human nature. Someone whom they regard as "one of their own" is under attack nationally, and the common reaction is to rally around him. Bob Knight received the same treatment. Given all of the facts and time to reflect, I'm betting that many if not most of these students will come to regret the fact that they were such vocal supporters of Paterno once this story broke. But let's not blame them for reacting emotionally in the initial stages.
I supported OJ in the beginning too, and he was a murderer. Not surprising at all that Joe would get this type of support. He's a beloved figure and an icon in that town.

Stupid.
Pedo State will not act properly until national outrage reaches a sufficient level. They have shown that. I am sick at how that institution has and is handling the whole thing.Get used to it: Pedo State.

Its the other way around. It appears that some of the 45K current students and millions of alumni believe that the school will be destroyed if those that enabled and/or covered up or failed to protect other children are held accountable for their actions.

I don't have a problem with Paterno finishing out this season, based upon information that has come out thus far, because he's got a team full of players who have worked hard to achieve an 8-1 record and a #12 ranking. Not for the sake of Paterno, and not for the sake of PSU or the PSU fans, but for the sake of the players on that team... let them finish their season, and then get on with the witch hunt.

The more I've thought about it, Mike McQueary is as big a coward as they come.This guy witnessed Sandusky raping a 10 year old boy in the shower. OK, I get that initially there may have just been so much shock that he didn't know what to do. I'm willing to give the guy a pass on not breaking it up on the spot. But after he reported it and nothing was done, how do you just act like you never saw what you saw? How do you continue to come to work every day in that facility knowing the guy that you personally watched rape a boy not only still has an office there and "emeritus" status, but that he continues to work with these Second Mile boys and continues to bring them to practice and hold overnight camps? How do you sleep at night? How do you live with yourself? How do you not say to yourself, "This is wrong, and if nobody else is going to do anything about it, I am, consequences be damned."?Gutless coward.
:goodposting:The only thing that makes sense is that he parlayed this into a full-time position. And that makes him and even bigger piece of ####. He should be worried about his safety.
I think we'll find out that McQueary was given a coaching position in exchange for keeping quiet. The real question is who gave him the job?
This is not as shocking as you might think.For example, Major Applewhite was the QB at Texas in '01, then a grad assistant from '02 to '04, and is now the Texas co-OC.McQueary was the Penn State QB in '97, so the timeline is shifted four years earlier. For him to be a GA in '02 and a recruiting coordinator/WR coach now isn't particularly unusual.
True, but McQueary was a GA in 2002. Saw and reported a child's rape in 2002. Was made a coach for the 2003 season.Of course, I don't know what happened, but the timeline seems to warrant investigation. Don't forget, McQueary could have reported Sandusky directly to the police at any time after 2002. He didn't.

http://deadspin.com/5857689/a-weeping-joe-paterno-just-spoke-to-students-gathered-outside-his-living-room-window

Havent seen mention yet of what Joe actually said to the students/supporters outside his house yesterday.

"It's hard for me to tell you how much this means to me. I've lived for this place, and I've lived for people like you guys and girls, and I'm just so happy to see that you could feel so strongly about us and about your school. The kids that were victims or whatever they want to say, I think we all ought to say a prayer for them. Tough life, when people do certain things to you. Anyway, you've been great. Everything's great, all right."
At first glance the bolded seems incredibly indicting, like belittling the victims' tragedy. I actually don’t think that’s what he meant..i think he just was referencing what others have told him to refer to the victims as. Either way, this was brutal. Did anyone present throw or shout something negative at the guy?
I think you're reading into it. It was an 84-year-old man trying to think of what to call victims of child rape. He looked like he was trying to remember what year it was.
I agree with your take. The Deadspin commenters in the link, and I figured many here, would not see it that way.

I've got two thoughts, which I'll make into two posts. One trying to put into perspective the crowd of PSU students and another my theory on why this is even worse than it looks.

As for the Penn State students, I think they're an easy target. You can say they're young, dumb and drunk, and that's probably at least half right. It should go without saying that PSU students aren't in favor of child rape. Penn State students run the single largest philanthropic student-run organization in the entire world. Last year ALONE, PSU students raised $10M for children with cancer.

So why are the supporting Paterno? I think they are reacting to what they seem is an unfair response by the media, which I can understand (if not agree with). Let's rank the cast of characters from most despicable to least:

Sandusky

ENORMOUS GAP

McQueary

Spanier, the President of the school, who covered this up

Curley, the AD, who helped cover this up

Paterno, the HC, who reported it to the AD and the President

You can also throw PSU campus police and the regular police force on there, as they at least played a part in this (either in covering up or failing to prosecute). Not sure where they go on the list, but there's no doubt that police played a part in letting Sandusky roam free.

Now, where is the media outrage directed?

99% at Paterno. People are almost skipping over Sandusky, perhaps because it's so obvious that he ranks in the second most innercircle of hell, behind the Hitlers of history. McQueary? Nothing. Spanier and Curley? A little outrage. Paterno is by far getting most of the criticism.

He's certainly taking for more heat than anyone else, and it's disproportionate to what he did. I can see how some Penn Staters might feel like the national media, which probably couldn't place State College on a map, now wants to go in and lynch State College's patron saint. Why isn't the national media ripping Sandusky and Spanier and the police with as much fire?

The obvious answer, of course, is that no one really cares about Sandusky or Spanier. And that's just a sad raelity of our times. If we find out some pedophile in Ohio was doing this to kids but was an accountant, this would be a minor, minor story. There would be no national media.

Personally, I understand that being the big dog brings the good and the bad. Just like when in football the QB is given too much credit when he wins and too much blame when he loses; well, Paterno was given so much praise and credit for decades, I have no problem with him now experiencing perhaps too much blame now. The focus shouldn't be squarely on him, but heavy is the heard who wears the crown. I've got no issue with that.

But to a school with 50,000 people, don't be surprised that 500 of them are angry that JoePa is being made out to be public enemy no. 1. I can at least understand their perspective, and the actions of one or two percent of the campus should not reflect poorly on the students as a whole. In general, Penn State students are pretty stand up people and have a reputation for being as so. I'm sure the majority of the students are incredibly disappointed with Paterno's actions, and I'm sure the entire 50,000 students think Sandusky is the scum of the earth.
I pretty much agree with all of this. They are making Joe the story, and people in here seem to be reveling in it as well, because Joe has been used as a moral compass often. The disproportionate outrage aimed at Paterno is for sensationaism/marketing for the media and a healthy does of schadenfreude along with some idiot college football fans of Pitt etc.Does Joe deserve blame? Yes. But people saying Joe is a main culprit and talking more about him then the actual child molester and those saying that the entire university itself should burn to the ground have their minds flooded with emotion and rage and are succumbing to a mob mentality.
GOOD. Fire the mother ####er.

I don't have a problem with Paterno finishing out this season, based upon information that has come out thus far, because he's got a team full of players who have worked hard to achieve an 8-1 record and a #12 ranking. Not for the sake of Paterno, and not for the sake of PSU or the PSU fans, but for the sake of the players on that team... let them finish their season, and then get on with the witch hunt.
Tom Bradley is more than capable of filling the role of HC for the remainder of the season.

Paterno had to know Sandusky more than anyone involved though, don't you think? He knew what went on in '98, in '02, and ever since. If you haven't read the GJ report, Sandusky was present with a 10 year old boy at '05 and '07 bowl games. You're telling me that nobody questioned this? Paterno didn't know about any of this?Paterno knew that Sandusky was a child molester, and he did nothing!

I think one thing is clear here that isn't being focused on is that the atmosphere and idea of football first absolutely created a situation at penn state that allowed this to happen. Regardless of who's fault this is at the end of the day (paterno, the AD, the school president) it's been exposed in the most disturbing way possible that a huge organization decided to try to save its reputation and the reputation of its football program at the expense of its soul.

Going forward, as the dollars at stake go up, TV contracts increase, and these top college programs continue to move into their own leagues where they're basically pringing money, that "protect the program" attitude is only going to increase.

I don't know what the answer to this is at the end of the day, but the pressure to protect the goose that laid the golden egg is very high, and is only going to increase.

Its the other way around. It appears that some of the 45K current students and millions of alumni believe that the school will be destroyed if those that enabled and/or covered up or failed to protect other children are held accountable for their actions.
yesPSU has shown that if you run PSU you can pretty much do anything, I don't see a few people getting fired that this will change. Great piece on Grantland about PSU.

ESPN reporting ticket brokers are now being flooded with calls people wanting tickets to see JoePa coach his last game at home. Prior to his retirement they weren't getting calls for tickets.

Not sure why you deleted your post Joe, because I was going to challenge you on it. The reaction of the Penn State students is highly predictable. Paterno has been like a god on campus, there are statues of him there, he is idolized in every way. From their perspective the national media is gunning for him before all the facts have been made clear. Do you really expect them to turn their back on him right away? They're young students. Of course they're going to rally around him.
Just like you rallied to JoePa's defense when the 23 page grand jury statement was there to read. Some people are just dumb.And for the record, I expect every sane right thinking person over the age of 8 to turn their back on child rapist protectors and enablers. I know that was hard for you to do, but even you finally realized your hero CAUSED numerous young boys to be anally violated by his failure to act. I view Paterno and everyone else at Pedo State who had a role in this vile coverup as criminal accomplices to child rape. And there are millions more out there who feel exactly the same way. Screw those dumb PSU kids. They should be sitting in their classes or dorms and hoping and praying their idiot school does the right thing. Which it isnt.
Further, not only does "normal society" have an aversion to child molestors; but even prison inmates view these sickos as the worst of the worst. Yet somehow, out of some perverse loyalty, all of the people that had the ability to put a stop to this monster instead let him to continue to ply his trade. Sandusky is the monster, no question. Every one of the witnesses and people to whom it was reported are also at fault - maybe not legally as some will try to argue, but just on the grounds of human decency. Would I trust my kids to go to a program where this type of thing is swept under a rug while kids were continuing to be abused? Shameful. JoPa may be is every other respect a saint, but this is an atrocity. He needs to go, as do all the other people involved up as high as it needs to go.

This scandal is a coverup of something else terible, IMO.

Let's walk through this logically.

McQueary -- a former star QB and now grad assistant -- sees an old retired coach prison raping a child. #1 -- HTF do you not stop him? You want to tell me that a former finalist for the Unitas award can't stop a 58-year-old man who's naked with a boy in the shower? He's 30 years younger than him and in much better shape.

But okay, let's think. McQueary sees this, and is sicked/shocked/disgusted. He freezes. He runs, cowardly, but he runs. That happens. Some people flee instead of fighting, I get that.

So he meets with Paterno the next day. How do you think this goes down? Take a second and picture them sitting in Paterno's living room.

MM: Um, Joe. This was really bad. I, uh,... I, uh, saw coach Sandusky. With a boy. In the shower.

JP: [stunned silence.]

MM: Yeah. It was, uh, not good.

JP: When was this?

MM: Last night. Late at night, I went back to the locker room and found them there.

JP: So he was in the shower Saturday night with a young boy when he thought everyone had gone home?

MM: Yes. It was, uh, really bad. I don't even know if I can say it out loud.

JP: Oh my goodness. I don't think I even want to hear this. We need to meet with the AD and Curley and maybe Spanier as soon as possible.

MM: Okay.

JP: This is bad.

MM: Yes.

Now they all meet, and McQueary tells the story. The administration asks him for every detail, and he supplies it to them.

Curley and the AD say "Okay, this is horrible. But stop for a second. If we go to the police, they're going to ask us what evidence do we have. Mike, do you have any evidence?"

MM: No. I just, ya know, saw it. It happened, trust me. But no, I have no evidence.

AD: Okay, let's think this through.

From here, I see three scenarios.

The normal person reaction

Okay, this is bad. But let's go to the police. I am sure there was surveillance video of him entering the building, presumably with the kid. Then at least we can identify him. Then it would be 2 people's word against 1. Plus, maybe once the police start questioning Sandusky, he admits to it?

I mean, I don't know. This is ugly, and could become a circus. But obviously we need to do something. Let's tell the police, and hope we can convict this guy. Once the police are involved, we can find out a lot more. If nothing else, it ruins his reputation and prevents him from ever doing this again.

The cover-up but that's it response

Okay, this is bad. But here's the problem. We have almost no evidence. This is going to look terrible on the school. We don't even know who the kid is. Jerry is a sicko, but we all used to like him. We don't want to see him being remembered like this. Here's what we do: We go to him, tell him what happened, and say he's got to go to the other side of the country. Jerry, we know what happened, we are disgusted by it, we hope you get help, but please GTFO of State College. Immediately. You lose access to everything, immediately. I don't care about your house. Hire someone to sell it for you. You have any problem with this, we go to the police and handle it that way.

What actually happened

Now WHY would that not happen? After Paterno and the administration knew about it, how could they not kick Sandusky out immediately? Why in the world would they not tell him -- at a BARE MINIMUM -- get the F out of State College or we go to the cops. We caught you, you have no leverage, you're done. Leave here and never, ever come back, and this is us being NICE to you.

We are sickened by you, and maybe we're being slimy, but we don't want to bring down the school, the program, or even you. Just go far away.

There's only one reason that didn't happen. Sandusky had something on someone. If he had something on JoePa personally, I think the school says F off. He must have had something on the school.

Realistically, he is most likely to have what? Something where he has access, the football program. So he's got something on the football program. And Sandusky probably documented all of this, knowing that he could use it one day as leverage. If you're a sick child-raping monster and are worried that one day you'll be caught by X and Y, as a side-hobby, you're going to do everything you can to get something on X and Y to prevent you from going to jail.

I suspect Sandusky probably kept notes on players being paid or something of that ilk for years. Maybe it was worse -- maybe a player raped or murdered someone, and Sandusky and co. helped sweep it under the rug: but not before Sandusky kept evidence of it. He knew he would need something if he ever got caught.

Now the administration is in a bind. If they go nuclear on Sandusky, he goes to the press/police/ncaa with whatever he has. And what he has is bad. So they threaten him to leave, and he plays hardball. He says F you to Paterno and Spanier and Curley. He says I've got X on you, I'm not leaving. They reach a middle ground, where he stays far in the background but is allowed to stay on campus.

And then all of this breaks.

Is this a conspiracy theory? Of course. But the most likely explanation is the simplest.

Why does the school -- knowing beyond a shadow of a doubt that he was prison raping children -- allow Sandusky to stay on campus, be listed in the phone directory as a member of the administration, have access to the facilities, etc.? Because he had something on them. And he had proof.

Who knows what that is.

Do it for the victims also!!! They need a huge reminder every Saturday!!

ESPN reporting ticket brokers are now being flooded with calls people wanting tickets to see JoePa coach his last game at home. Prior to his retirement they weren't getting calls for tickets.
More commentary on our society. Sports is king, no matter what.Sad and disgusting.

:goodposting: Both of these...

I think one thing is clear here that isn't being focused on is that the atmosphere and idea of football first absolutely created a situation at penn state that allowed this to happen. Regardless of who's fault this is at the end of the day (paterno, the AD, the school president) it's been exposed in the most disturbing way possible that a huge organization decided to try to save its reputation and the reputation of its football program at the expense of its soul.

Going forward, as the dollars at stake go up, TV contracts increase, and these top college programs continue to move into their own leagues where they're basically pringing money, that "protect the program" attitude is only going to increase.

I don't know what the answer to this is at the end of the day, but the pressure to protect the goose that laid the golden egg is very high, and is only going to increase.
Like a Greek tragedy played out in modern day. The very thing you are most trying to protect is destroyed by the ramifications of trying to protecting it.

Users who are viewing this thread