What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets' Safties-Reggie Tongue Cut (1 Viewer)

Rovers

Footballguy
Fourth round rookie pick Kerry Rhodes is making some noise. the scenario: Reggie Tongue is long in the tooth, and not a fave of DC Donni Henderson. Last year, when McGraw went down, Eric Coleman stepped up and put up some big numbers. He played both safety spots, but the one knock on him is he has trouble covering recieveing TE's. The oft injured McGraw can play SS or FS, and has the needed coverage skills, if he can stay healthy. He is a big hitter, and that may be part of why he gets hurt so often. Rhodes is making noise in camp, but the pads arent on yet. However, both he and McGraw are interchangable at the safety spots, which is a key in DC Donnie Henderson's scheme.

Thos could possibly mean Rhodes at some point in the season might become a starter. It could be the worst of all FF scenarios..... a SBC situation. Stay tuned.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I saw that information on Rhodes and took a flier on him and picked him up off the waiver wire for league minimum bid of 1 league dollar. I thought he might be an interesting player to put on my taxi squad for a season and see how he does. :thumbup:

I have Rhodes as a bona-fide dynasty pick. He has 4.5 speed, and a 42" vertical. he also has size.... 6'1" and 210 lbs. Rich Ciminii said he turned heads in minicamp. He apparently is picking up the cover 2 much faster than expected. am pretty sure that by 2007 he will be a starting SS, but this may happen sooner than expected, based on early reports. This all without pads though, so it's early.

The New York Daily News reports that the New York Jets have released safety Reggie Tongue.

Confirmed: http://www.newyorkjets.com/news/

Rhodes must be ready to go? or Maddox? McGraw sure cannot be counted on to play the entire season!

Yep, Tongue is gone, and this comes as no surprise to me, once I heard how well Rhodes was picking up the system and making plays in the OTA's. Here is what it looks like now: Coleman at FS, McGraw at SS. DC Henderson likes to use the FS and SS somewhat interchangably. It's more like LS and RS. McGraw, as I mentioned earlier, is a HUGE hitter, and gets hurt often, but when he's healthy, he's very good. He can SHUT DOWN any TE in the NFL. Last year, he ate Gates alive. Rhodes has the size and speed to cover TE's as well. He is most likely going to be the first backup for both the FS and SS positions now. There is another rookie, a 6th round pick, with a rep for big hits named Maddox. He has also looked good in camp, which gave the Jets enough depth to cut Tongue. Funny, in another forum I called the Tongue cut two weeks ago, but didn't put it here.

Yep, Tongue is gone, and this comes as no surprise to me, once I heard how well Rhodes was picking up the system and making plays in the OTA's. Here is what it looks like now: Coleman at FS, McGraw at SS. DC Henderson likes to use the FS and SS somewhat interchangably. It's more like LS and RS. McGraw, as I mentioned earlier, is a HUGE hitter, and gets hurt often, but when he's healthy, he's very good. He can SHUT DOWN any TE in the NFL. Last year, he ate Gates alive.

Rhodes has the size and speed to cover TE's as well. He is most likely going to be the first backup for both the FS and SS positions now. There is another rookie, a 6th round pick, with a rep for big hits named Maddox. He has also looked good in camp, which gave the Jets enough depth to cut Tongue. Funny, in another forum I called the Tongue cut two weeks ago, but didn't put it here.
Do you think Rhodes has what it takes to eventually win one of the starting positions next season?

OK, I know a guy that called this yesterday. Only via an internet forum, mind you, but it isn't the first time he came up with this stuff. I KNOW he has an inside source within the Jets organization. What he said was : " The Jets will start a rookie at SS this year. Mark my words." The next day, Tongue gets cut. Shortly after that, I find out McGraw has recently had some sort of "undisclosed surgery recently" (within a week or two) . This guy has me convinced he is on the inside. I have to think the Jets will use McGraw in spots, as they did towards the end of last year. It's starting to look like either Rhodes or Maddox will be the starting SS, THIS year! :eek: this is definitely a situation to watch. Maddox is the big hitter, with speed, and is the natural SS, while Rhodes is also very fast, is taller, and the better coverage guy, but has a rep for being weak against the run.

The latest scuttlebutt has the starting SS job as a battle between McGraw and Rhodes. If McGraw stays healthy, he's a potential pro bowler, he's that good. The problem is, he keeps getting hurt.... a lot. When he came back last year, the Jets used him situationally. That may be the plan again. I can see him playing the nickel and dime against the league's best TE's. They even started to blitz him last year, and he was disruptive. The team may just feel he can stay healthy in a more limited role.... which points towards Rhodes as the starter. Rhodes still has to prove he can play the run though. If he can't the door is barely cracked open for Maddox. Donnie Abraham is still on the team, but for how long? The Ty Law rumors just won't die, but the last thing the Jets need is another old DB. Tongue, Atwater, enough already. I think even Justin Miller has a shot to start at CB..... since the Jets are looking at other players for KO and punt returns. They would not be doing that if Miller isn't being considered for the CB spot, I have to think. Unless Miller is a bust (I don't think he will be) he should be the starting CB in 2006, if not this year.

OK, I know a guy that called this yesterday. Only via an internet forum, mind you, but it isn't the first time he came up with this stuff. I KNOW he has an inside source within the Jets organization. What he said was : " The Jets will start a rookie at SS this year. Mark my words." The next day, Tongue gets cut. Shortly after that, I find out McGraw has recently had some sort of "undisclosed surgery recently" (within a week or two) .

This guy has me convinced he is on the inside. I have to think the Jets will use McGraw in spots, as they did towards the end of last year. It's starting to look like either Rhodes or Maddox will be the starting SS, THIS year! :eek: this is definitely a situation to watch. Maddox is the big hitter, with speed, and is the natural SS, while Rhodes is also very fast, is taller, and the better coverage guy, but has a rep for being weak against the run.
This is very interesting stuff, Rovers. :thumbup: I'm not doubting your take at all, it just seems to me from watching Rhodes play at Louisville, he's a classic FS. He's much more of a ballhawk who's better suited playing without the responsibility of run support or TE coverage. Maddox is a classic SS.

From an outsider's point of view, if Rhodes was the best rookie and was going to start, it seems that Coleman would slide into the SS job (as he did at the beginning of last year, beating out Tongue) and Rhodes would start at FS.

I haven't been reading all the stuff coming out of NYJ camp, so this is simply what I would have assumed would happen after the draft.

Definitely going to keep my eye on the NYJ rookie S's.

I agree with Barry Jive. Rhodes has great range, but the knock on him is that he isn't physical enough. I think Coleman would be a better fit at SS if Rhodes earns a starting spot.

I agree, Coleman is better suited to SS, while Rhodes is a better fit at FS. The one drawback to this fit is that DC Donnie Henderson doesn't like the size mismatch and wants to avoid having Coleman cover TE's, since he's only 5'10". At 6'3", this is something McGraw does very well, and something Rhodes is reported to be good at as well, with his 6'2" frame. Remember, Henderson likes to use the safeties interchangably. With these 3, he can move them around situationally. Maddox has apparently been a little slower to learn the cover 2, and that, at least for now, that seems to be holding him back. I think it's safe to say that Coleman will be on the field almost all the time, regardless of where he lines up. I think Rhodes will be the other starter, but McGraw will still see plenty of PT. Against some teams, like SD, I'd expect McGraw to be on the field more, since he has proven he can shut down dangerous TE's like Gates. Henderson will do his best to avoid having Coleman draw any TE coverage responsibilities. That means he will also line up as a FS, depending on the D play call. However, until they put the pads on, how it will ultimately play out remians undecided.

I agree, Coleman is better suited to SS, while Rhodes is a better fit at FS. The one drawback to this fit is that DC Donnie Henderson doesn't like the size mismatch and wants to avoid having Coleman cover TE's, since he's only 5'10". At 6'3", this is something McGraw does very well, and something Rhodes is reported to be good at as well, with his 6'2" frame. Remember, Henderson likes to use the safeties interchangably. With these 3, he can move them around situationally.

Maddox has apparently been a little slower to learn the cover 2, and that, at least for now, that seems to be holding him back. I think it's safe to say that Coleman will be on the field almost all the time, regardless of where he lines up. I think Rhodes will be the other starter, but McGraw will still see plenty of PT. Against some teams, like SD, I'd expect McGraw to be on the field more, since he has proven he can shut down dangerous TE's like Gates. Henderson will do his best to avoid having Coleman draw any TE coverage responsibilities. That means he will also line up as a FS, depending on the D play call. However, until they put the pads on, how it will ultimately play out remians undecided.
So what does this mean fantasy wise? It would appear that Coleman would be the only Jets saftey to own seeing as he will see the field all the time vs a rotation at SS of McGraw and Rhodes and or Maddox. So even though FS is not the best of fantasy safeties, at this point perhaps that would be the case. But, if McGraw remains the starter and can stay healthy - it appears to me that he would be worth having over Coleman because of playing the SS position.

I don't think Maddox will be a factor this year. Coleman I would think will play SS most of the time, while Rhodes will most often line up as FS. When there is a passing down, either Rhodes or McGraw will play SS, mostly to cover the TE, which only enhances Colemans chances for INT's as the FS on 3rd and longs.

Isn't Coleman listed as the FS rather than the SS? I guess what it really comes down to is that the Jets will use all healthy players and rotate them around. So who will have the most opportunities with tackles, seeing as interceptions don't come as readily? In my league tackles are 2 pts and assists 1 and interceptions 3 pts. So at this point who is the leading safety for consistant scoring week in and week out? Coleman appears to be.

Coleman would be my first choice, I think he will be on the filed all of the time. If Rhodes can show he can play the run, once the pads are on, he should be the FS, Coleman the SS, but, again, don't worry too much about who is listed at SS vs.FS.... Henderson will move them around. Both (what I like to call the left safety and right safety in Henderson's scheme) will get tackles and have a chance to ball hawk. Mostly, Henderson will try to avoid having Coleman cover the TE. That would be a mismatch opposing offenses will try to exploit. If a running play is expected, Coleman will line up as the SS, and play closer to the box.

Appreciate the info Rovers on Rhodes.I was able to pick him up cheap in my Zealot's league this week and stash him away..........

Users who are viewing this thread