What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Flacco Traded to Denver - With a Poll (1 Viewer)

Rate this move for Denver

• Great move for Denver

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • Good move for Denver

Votes: 45 29.6%
  • On The Fence

Votes: 37 24.3%
  • Not a good move for Denver

Votes: 36 23.7%
  • Awful move for Denver

Votes: 32 21.1%

• Total voters
I don't think you can look at Flacco's statistics and compare them to Keenum's stats.  Keenum's early numbers came from a 2-14 Houston team that used him to replace a starter, a terrible Ram's team that was mostly devoid of real talent, and one year on a Minnesota team that boosted his numbers with one of the best receiving corps in the game.  Despite having 54 starts he's maybe started the season as the starter for one or two of those seasons.  Flacco has been on a team with a defense first policy that has not pushed the envelope offensively.  They are oriented around running the ball and playing tough defense.  They have not geared their personnel or their playbook towards producing a great passing offense.  He hasn't had a top notch WR since Steve Smith went to Carolina and haven't had a quality TE in a long time.  There have been short stretches where they've had injuries etc. in the ground game and had to be more of a passing team and he's put up pretty good numbers in those stretches.  Most of the time, however, the passing game has been an afterthought and we really don't know what he'd be capable of with some decent receiving talent and a more progressive OC.  Don't know that Denver crosses off those boxes but based on the eye test from having watched both of them, Flacco is definitely an improvement over Keenum. 

I'm going to withhold my assessment until Broncos complete their NFL draft.  My main takeaway from this trade is that Flacco's inability to move in the pocket now put onus on Broncos' OL for full pass-protection in order to make Flacco's QB skills to be effective.  Sure, his rocket arm works great for Sutton's vertical WR skill but it would be useless if Flacco doesn't have a time to pass. 

What I didn't understand why Broncos decided to trade their original 2019 4th round pick now when they could had wait for Flacco to be waived by Ravens for cap room.  After all, Flacco's 2019 salary is team option. 

I'm going to withhold my assessment until Broncos complete their NFL draft.  My main takeaway from this trade is that Flacco's inability to move in the pocket now put onus on Broncos' OL for full pass-protection in order to make Flacco's QB skills to be effective.  Sure, his rocket arm works great for Sutton's vertical WR skill but it would be useless if Flacco doesn't have a time to pass. 

What I didn't understand why Broncos decided to trade their original 2019 4th round pick now when they could had wait for Flacco to be waived by Ravens for cap room.  After all, Flacco's 2019 salary is team option. 
There are other teams like Jacksonville are in a position to be pursuing someone like Flacco.  Pretty much he and Foles are about the only veteran QB's that could jump into a team like that that already has a ton of pieces in place so they jumped while they could.

I don't think you can look at Flacco's statistics and compare them to Keenum's stats.  Keenum's early numbers came from a 2-14 Houston team that used him to replace a starter, a terrible Ram's team that was mostly devoid of real talent, and one year on a Minnesota team that boosted his numbers with one of the best receiving corps in the game.  Despite having 54 starts he's maybe started the season as the starter for one or two of those seasons.  Flacco has been on a team with a defense first policy that has not pushed the envelope offensively.  They are oriented around running the ball and playing tough defense.  They have not geared their personnel or their playbook towards producing a great passing offense.  He hasn't had a top notch WR since Steve Smith went to Carolina and haven't had a quality TE in a long time.  There have been short stretches where they've had injuries etc. in the ground game and had to be more of a passing team and he's put up pretty good numbers in those stretches.  Most of the time, however, the passing game has been an afterthought and we really don't know what he'd be capable of with some decent receiving talent and a more progressive OC.  Don't know that Denver crosses off those boxes but based on the eye test from having watched both of them, Flacco is definitely an improvement over Keenum. 
I don't think anyone is talking about volume or FF stats, we all know the Ravens are built on defense and a run game. When you compare their efficiency stats, they are basically the same guy, except one has had the benefit of a good to great offensive line and a stud defense nearly every year of his career. Now he'll be on a team where he has neither unless the Bronco's work some magic in the draft this year and that team just gave up a late draft pick and extra cap space to have him.

Users who are viewing this thread