What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joey Harrington is a baby (1 Viewer)

Payne

Footballguy
By Tom Kowalski

Joey Harrington is going, going -- but not gone yet.

The Detroit Lions quarterback won't be back with the team next year, but he might stay on the roster for a while. The Lions will try to salvage something out of the situation and attempt to trade Harrington -- and they might be willing to wait for the right deal.

Harrington's fate in Detroit was sealed Thursday when the Lions signed free-agent quarterback Josh McCown (Arizona Cardinals) to a two-year deal, just two days after signing free agent Jon Kitna (Cincinnati Bengals). McCown and Kitna will compete in training camp for the starting quarterback job.

Those signings squeezed Harrington out of the Lions' future plans, but Harrington played a big role in punching his own bus ticket out of town.

Harrington was so adamant about leaving the Lions that several people close to the situation believe he sabotaged his appearance at last week's "quarterback school" with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

During the classroom sessions, when asked to go to the board and break down plays, Harrington put forth little effort. When asked to either open his playbook or to take notes, Harrington either refused or was extremely slow to do so. He was lethargic and uncooperative. According to sources, it was quickly apparent to Martz that Harrington had no desire to be there.

After Martz and Harrington had words, Harrington went into a meeting with Lions officials and told them he didn't want to play for Detroit any longer. Harrington was so determined to leave the team that, according to sources, he said he'd be willing to restructure his contract in any way that would quicken his release.

Harrington's desire to leave the Lions was sparked not by the management or the new coaching staff, but the entire negative environment that surrounded him, including fans, media and his own teammates. According to sources, Harrington told team officials during an emotional exchange that "I hate everybody on this team and everybody hates me."

Martz, along with Lions president Matt Millen and head coach Rod Marinelli, were unavailable for comment on Thursday. Harrington is reportedly vacationing in Thailand.

The Lions begin their voluntary off-season workout schedule on Monday and Harrington is not expected to attend.

Harrington has a salary cap figure of about $12 million for this season: a $4 million roster bonus that is due on June 15, a $4.5 million salary for the 2006 season and $3.5 million in pro-rated signing bonuses (from previous seasons).

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, the Lions can designate Harrington as a June 1 cut, but can actually release him before that date and still benefit. In that scenario, Harrington would cost $3.5 million against the team's salary cap in both the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

However, if the Lions trade Harrington, his total cap number hits immediately and $7 million would come off Detroit's cap this season. In 2006 salary and bonuses, the Lions will pay Kitna ($4.5 million) and McCown ($4 million) about the same money they were going to pay Harrington this season.

The Lions know they aren't going to get great value for Harrington, but the team has only six draft choices this season so they're eager to add whatever they can -- even if it's late-round picks on the second day of the draft.

The Lions are in no financial hurry to deal with Harrington. The only way they'd be pressured to make a move is if they need his $4.5 million salary cap money to go to signing another free agent or when June 15 arrives, because that's when his $4 million roster bonus is due.

Harrington's offer of reducing his contract to accelerate a quicker release doesn't mean anything because the only numbers that count -- the total of $7 million in pro-rated bonuses -- can't be changed.

Also, why try to trade him? You're not going to get anything for him and he'll count $7 million against the cap this season. Just release him. He obviosuly doesn't want to be here.

Lions fans have to be happy to see this guy go. He just never seemed mentally tough enough to handle the rigors of being an NFL QB. Woe to the team that gives him a chance to start.

Also, why try to trade him? You're not going to get anything for him and he'll count $7 million against the cap this season. Just release him. He obviosuly doesn't want to be here.
I agree. That accelerated cap hit isn't worth a 5th or 6th rounder or whatever he'd be worth.

I agree. That accelerated cap hit isn't worth a 5th or 6th rounder or whatever he'd be worth.
Why not? Detroit won't win the Super Bowl this year, so why not take the medicine now and clear the books for 2007?

:wall:

Two years ago, I tell everyone that he sucks. I get alot of flak. "But they just drafted Roy Williams and Rogers will be back from an injury"

Last year, I tell everyone that he sucks. I get almost as much flak. "But they just drafted Mike Williams and Rogers will be back from an injury"

2 months ago, I need to take a chance on a QB with some upside in the WSL draft and against every rationale bone in my body, I draft Harrington.

:mad:

:wall:

Harrington has not handled non-game pressure well from the very beginning. I think Lions fans were extremely hard on him and he was set up for failure, but I also think he could have came out of this situation a lot better than he did. He needs to avoid going anywhere where the fans are just as tough like in Philadelhphia, New York, Cleveland, or Dallas. His best bet is to settle in somewhere as a #2 and then hope to elevate his game to be a #1.

I think Chicago, KansasCity, Atlanta (if they trade Shuab), St. Louis, and San Diego would all be places he could take advantage of the situation. Seattle, Oakland, Baltimore, the Jets and maybe others would likely take a one year flyer on him; as a backup in Seattle and getting a chance to be the starter at some point in the other places. But he may just be better off going to a Kansas City where an aging QB and a smaller market would allow him to get back on his feet.

My Prediction is Kansas City with San Diego and St. Louis as the next best options.

Harrington's desire to leave the Lions was sparked not by the management or the new coaching staff, but the entire negative environment that surrounded him, including fans, media and his own teammates. According to sources, Harrington told team officials during an emotional exchange that "I hate everybody on this team and everybody hates me."
I wonder about the untold story here. How does it get THAT bad? Those comments are beyond childish.Harrington's always conducted himself with class in public, but if this is the side his teammates have seen for 4 years, it's no wonder he hasn't been successful and probably never will be.

Kitna's professionalism will be welcomed.

Why not? Detroit won't win the Super Bowl this year, so why not take the medicine now and clear the books for 2007?
Pfffttt. We're a contender, baby. Martz + Kitna +... um, Corey Bradford = Lombardi Trophy.You're probably right, but don't knock us Lions fans out of fantasy land just yet. This is the time of year when the Lions are winners and there's no game results to convince us otherwise.

Harrington has not handled non-game pressure well from the very beginning. I think Lions fans were extremely hard on him and he was set up for failure, but I also think he could have came out of this situation a lot better than he did. He needs to avoid going anywhere where the fans are just as tough like in Philadelhphia, New York, Cleveland, or Dallas. His best bet is to settle in somewhere as a #2 and then hope to elevate his game to be a #1.

I think Chicago, KansasCity, Atlanta (if they trade Shuab), St. Louis, and San Diego would all be places he could take advantage of the situation. Seattle, Oakland, Baltimore, the Jets and maybe others would likely take a one year flyer on him; as a backup in Seattle and getting a chance to be the starter at some point in the other places. But he may just be better off going to a Kansas City where an aging QB and a smaller market would allow him to get back on his feet.

My Prediction is Kansas City with San Diego and St. Louis as the next best options.
If they could get him on the cheap what about Miami? As of right now their starter is who again? Culpepper should be allowed to become 100% even if that means not playing till October or so, why not bring in Joey, see if he can play better with a real RB and decent O-Line and if he rocks before Culpepper returns you have great trade bait, if he sucks it didn't cost much. :thumbup:

I did hear his favorite songs include

Cry Me A River - Justin Timberlake

You Don't Know How It Feels (to be me...) - Tom Petty

Achey Breaky Heart - Billy Ray Cyrus

Communication Breakdown- Led Zepplin

Beat It - Michael Jackson

Good Luck being Sad Joey..... RAAAAAAAAG!!! Ryan Leaf

with a good attitude about losing and making mistakes.

:thumbdown:

Pfffttt. We're a contender, baby. Martz + Kitna +... um, Corey Bradford = Lombardi Trophy.You're probably right, but don't knock us Lions fans out of fantasy land just yet. This is the time of year when the Lions are winners and there's no game results to convince us otherwise.
I say Kitna wins the starting job and McCown is a decent back-up. For about the same money the Lions get Kit/McC for Harry and probably win 4 more games next year because of it. They still won't make the playoffs but with the addition of Martz at least Lions fans have something to be excited about.Now if they can just draft a decent WR or two...

I wonder about the untold story here. How does it get THAT bad? Those comments are beyond childish.Harrington's always conducted himself with class in public, but if this is the side his teammates have seen for 4 years, it's no wonder he hasn't been successful and probably never will be.

No one on the team ever stood up and defended Harrington - a QB needs the support of the team and Harrington never got that. I don't know if it's a personality issue or expectations were just too high for him, but it seems like there was one setback after another for him in Detroit.

No one on the team ever stood up and defended Harrington - a QB needs the support of the team and Harrington never got that. I don't know if it's a personality issue or expectations were just too high for him, but it seems like there was one setback after another for him in Detroit.
Detroit needs way more than a new quarterback. :football:

Lions fans have to be happy to see this guy go. He just never seemed mentally tough enough to handle the rigors of being an NFL QB. Woe to the team that gives him a chance to start.
Lack of mental toughness may be part of the issue. The fact that they drafted WR in the first round for 3 straight years instead of getting O-line help may be another issue. Or the fact that they had morons for head coaches that couldn't get all their "weapons" to perform as expected. Seriously, Harrington, K Jones, R Williams, and Charles Rogers were highly touted coming out of college and none of them, so far, has performed worthy of their draft spot. Is it Harrington's fault that K Jones wasn't utilized properly or inconsistent? Is it Harrington's fault his WR's are always hurt or inconsistent? I kinda feel sorry for the guy. I hope a change of scenery helps his career. I don't think people should just say Harrington sucks without taking into consideration all of the factors.

The article was a nasty smear, and I for one don't beleive a word of it. Not single source listed! Nobody was quoted by name. All we get is 'several people close to the situation', or 'sources'. In other words, the team basically smeared him as they were putting a foot to his ###. And all this just a little while after Martz praised Harrington after the QB camp. Detroit is a dysfunctional organization which took a talented young QB, chewed him up, and is now spitting him out, but it does't even have the diginity to do that well.

At least Harrington walks away with lifetime finanacial security in exchange.

The article was a nasty smear, and I for one don't beleive a word of it. Not single source listed! Nobody was quoted by name. All we get is 'several people close to the situation', or 'sources'. In other words, the team basically smeared him as they were putting a foot to his ###. And all this just a little while after Martz praised Harrington after the QB camp. Detroit is a dysfunctional organization which took a talented young QB, chewed him up, and is now spitting him out, but it does't even have the diginity to do that well.

I don't think the team is smearing him maybe a guy in the locker room or something. If the Lions are gonna try and trade him why would they smear him publicly?

Please don't suggest that his sorry ### will end up in Chicago ever again. :rant:

The article was a nasty smear, and I for one don't beleive a word of it. Not  single source listed! Nobody was quoted by name. All we get is 'several people close to the situation', or 'sources'. In other words, the team basically smeared him as they were putting a foot to his ###. And all this just a little while after Martz praised Harrington after the QB camp. Detroit is a dysfunctional organization which took a talented young QB, chewed him up, and is now spitting him out, but it does't even have the diginity to do that well.

I don't think the team is smearing him maybe a guy in the locker room or something. If the Lions are gonna try and trade him why would they smear him publicly?
Personally.....Tom K....is a well respected writer. I believe it.

I think Seattle would be the best situation for Joey to salvage his career. He can return to the Northwest, where they loved him at Oregon. He can also sit behind Hassekbeck, learn to work with a talented squad and let some time pass (which will help his credibility). In two or three years, he could be ready to take over if Hasselbeck get hurt or gets old.

He's prolly a better backup than the little Iowa State guy they got sittin behind Matt.

Don't let the door hit ya where the good lord split ya.

I say good for Harrington get out of that trainwreck of an organization!!!

I mean seriously show me a thread on this board where everyone was :excited: about what Detroit had done in the front office.

Nothing will every happen in Detroit with MILLEN at the helm PERIOD!!!

Signing Kitna and McNown is just plain stupid, Harrington is as good as both of those two guys. And the Lions just paid 7 mil for 2 backup quarterbacks.

Hell why not go after Brees if you are going to throw out 7 mil.

Joey was destined to fail in that organization. Everything was put on him from the start. No mentoring, no one to learn from, Just go in and Win Joey. Oh ya and by the way we arent going to protect you or give you any veteran leadership in the locker room.

Oh ya and we really dont care if your teammates speak out in the media and blame you for everything. Just WIN!!!

Detroit is a sorry excuse for a football team and will never win.

Lions Fans, I'd fine a new team

I mean seriously show me a thread on this board where everyone was :excited: about what Detroit had done in the front office.

Signing Kitna and McNown is just plain stupid, Harrington is as good as both of those two guys. And the Lions just paid 7 mil for 2 backup quarterbacks.

Joey was destined to fail in that organization. Everything was put on him from the start. No mentoring, no one to learn from, Just go in and Win Joey. Oh ya and by the way we arent going to protect you or give you any veteran leadership in the locker room.

Oh ya and we really dont care if your teammates speak out in the media and blame you for everything. Just WIN!!!

Joey? :unsure:

Lions | More about Harrington's upcoming release KFFL

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 05:48:06 -0800

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington left Detroit in January after the 2005 season thinking he might need a fresh start somewhere else, even if it meant giving up millions of dollars and accepting a backup job. When the new coaching staff came in and the Lions showed him support, Harrington was caught off-guard. When he walked into the Lions' Allen Park headquarters last week for "quarterback school" with offensive coordinator Mike Martz, he just got the feeling the damage was done. He couldn't buy back into the idea that he could lead the Lions to victory because the team chemistry was too bad. He expressed his concerns, and the Lions agreed to let him go. Harrington is expected to be traded or released by the weekend.

The latest I've heard.

Lions | More about Harrington's upcoming release KFFL

Fri, 17 Mar 2006 05:48:06 -0800

Nicholas J. Cotsonika, of the Detroit Free Press, reports Detroit Lions QB Joey Harrington left Detroit in January after the 2005 season thinking he might need a fresh start somewhere else, even if it meant giving up millions of dollars and accepting a backup job. When the new coaching staff came in and the Lions showed him support, Harrington was caught off-guard. When he walked into the Lions' Allen Park headquarters last week for "quarterback school" with offensive coordinator Mike Martz, he just got the feeling the damage was done. He couldn't buy back into the idea that he could lead the Lions to victory because the team chemistry was too bad. He expressed his concerns, and the Lions agreed to let him go. Harrington is expected to be traded or released by the weekend.

The latest I've heard.
The KFFL version is just the "Coles Notes" from the above story.

:goodposting: best post I have read in a long time. Other than Joey PROBABLY didn't act like that, I say RUN JOEY RUN, GET OUT WHILE YOU CAN.

Umm, does Martz have a history of bringing out the best in individuals? Glad to see Martz has wised up and is now bringing out the best in individuals who are smaller than big tackles like Kyle Turley.

Where is Captain Blowhard to defend his boy Joey now? Now all the Joey backers can climb aboard the "he can revive his career with another team" bandwagon.

All I know is there is no chin behind the beard of Joey Harrington. There is only another interception.

Good luck to the team that picks up this no talent ### clown.

Where is Captain Blowhard to defend his boy Joey now? Now all the Joey backers can climb aboard the "he can revive his career with another team" bandwagon.

All I know is there is no chin behind the beard of Joey Harrington. There is only another interception.

:hophead:

Harrington obviously did not handle the situation well but he is right. The sooner he is with another team the better it will be for him and the Lions.

Harrington obviously did not handle the situation well but he is right. The sooner he is with another team the better it will be for him and the Lions.
True. But why even show up for Qb school with Martz? That doesn't make sense. He should have been adamant from day 1 of the offseason: get me the hell out of here! Not only does him showing up to Detroit to meet with Martz make him look spineless and stupid--his sullen behavior while there makes him look a 4th grader.

Come on.

Gotta believe Martz put up with that for about two minutes before he ripped Joey a new one.

I'm a Harrington defender? Since when? He has, prior to this specific instance I've ripped him for, conducted himself with class. If this particular and specific story is true, there is no excuse for it. But I wish him well and I do hope he's able to salvage his career elsewhere.

I hope the writer (Tom Kowalski) did not get these Harrington quotes from Mike Martz because if he did he may want to check with some of the St. Louis beat writers first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Detroit is still going to suck no matter what happens to Joey. Joey will probably be a backup somewhere for a while and may or may not turn out to be a good player.

But one thing is a given, Detroit is no better off without him.

I will wait for the thread that reads"

"OMG Detroit Signs 'insert name here' This was a great move for us!!!"

I wont hold my breath though.

Joey may be an ###Clown but Matt Millen is the Barnum & Baily of the gluteus maximus region.

By Tom Kowalski

Joey Harrington is going, going -- but not gone yet.

The Detroit Lions quarterback won't be back with the team next year, but he might stay on the roster for a while. The Lions will try to salvage something out of the situation and attempt to trade Harrington -- and they might be willing to wait for the right deal.

Harrington's fate in Detroit was sealed Thursday when the Lions signed free-agent quarterback Josh McCown (Arizona Cardinals) to a two-year deal, just two days after signing free agent Jon Kitna (Cincinnati Bengals). McCown and Kitna will compete in training camp for the starting quarterback job.

Those signings squeezed Harrington out of the Lions' future plans, but Harrington played a big role in punching his own bus ticket out of town.

Harrington was so adamant about leaving the Lions that several people close to the situation believe he sabotaged his appearance at last week's "quarterback school" with new offensive coordinator Mike Martz.

During the classroom sessions, when asked to go to the board and break down plays, Harrington put forth little effort. When asked to either open his playbook or to take notes, Harrington either refused or was extremely slow to do so. He was lethargic and uncooperative. According to sources, it was quickly apparent to Martz that Harrington had no desire to be there.

After Martz and Harrington had words, Harrington went into a meeting with Lions officials and told them he didn't want to play for Detroit any longer. Harrington was so determined to leave the team that, according to sources, he said he'd be willing to restructure his contract in any way that would quicken his release.

Martz, along with Lions president Matt Millen and head coach Rod Marinelli, were unavailable for comment on Thursday. Harrington is reportedly vacationing in Thailand.

The Lions begin their voluntary off-season workout schedule on Monday and Harrington is not expected to attend.

Harrington has a salary cap figure of about $12 million for this season: a $4 million roster bonus that is due on June 15, a $4.5 million salary for the 2006 season and $3.5 million in pro-rated signing bonuses (from previous seasons).

Under the new collective bargaining agreement, the Lions can designate Harrington as a June 1 cut, but can actually release him before that date and still benefit. In that scenario, Harrington would cost $3.5 million against the team's salary cap in both the 2006 and 2007 seasons.

However, if the Lions trade Harrington, his total cap number hits immediately and $7 million would come off Detroit's cap this season. In 2006 salary and bonuses, the Lions will pay Kitna ($4.5 million) and McCown ($4 million) about the same money they were going to pay Harrington this season.

The Lions know they aren't going to get great value for Harrington, but the team has only six draft choices this season so they're eager to add whatever they can -- even if it's late-round picks on the second day of the draft.

The Lions are in no financial hurry to deal with Harrington. The only way they'd be pressured to make a move is if they need his $4.5 million salary cap money to go to signing another free agent or when June 15 arrives, because that's when his $4 million roster bonus is due.

Harrington's offer of reducing his contract to accelerate a quicker release doesn't mean anything because the only numbers that count -- the total of $7 million in pro-rated bonuses -- can't be changed.
I can't believe everyone takes reports like this as the gospel truth. It may be correct, but to take the media's word on issues like this is just silly. Reports like this should be taken with a grain of salt unless you hear it for yourselves. :2cents:

Don't get the wrong idea about Harrington

Tom Kowalski

There have been a couple of things that have come up in reaction to my story this morning that I think need to be cleared up.

First, is the "I hate everybody and everybody hates me'' quote. Harrington was not speaking literally, obviously, and he wasn't even saying in in a whiny way. He was trying to make his point -- and quite correctly, I think -- that there has been irreparable damage between him and his teammates. There's no connection, no trust, no chemistry. The statement came out in a harsh way because it was a very emotional exchange.

Second, Harrington did not quit on the Lions. His teammates quit on him a long time ago and Harrington was well aware of it -- even if it took Matt Millen a little longer to figure it out. Harrington's disruptive conduct at the quarterback school wasn't done because he was trying to be childish or revengeful. He was doing it because he knew -- again, quite correctly, I think -- that the best thing for both parties was to part company. He did what he felt he had to do to drive home that point.

I don't think his recent conduct is going to stain any future relationships he has with a new team, coaching staff and players. Maybe they'll like him, maybe they won't, but it won't be based on what's happened here in the last two weeks.

Mlive

FYI

From KBleck:

"Nothing will every happen in Detroit with MILLEN at the helm PERIOD!!!

Hell why not go after Brees if you are going to throw out 7 mil. "

:goodposting: I actually think Mcnown may be an OK QB still, but why pay two guys, just go after one of the big guns and play a backup guy somewhere. Millen is a buffon, but the truth is this is on the owner to allow Millen to stay there. I can't remember someone having such a poor track record for this long as Millen (I am sure there are, but...)

No. He's not. The man flip flops more than a politician...he's all over the place all the time, so that when a story finally comes to fruition he can say 'see, i told you so!" He had the Lions winning 10 games, 5 games, and everything in between in August last year....he's a hack.

Tom Kowalski

There have been a couple of things that have come up in reaction to my story this morning that I think need to be cleared up.

First, is the "I hate everybody and everybody hates me'' quote. Harrington was not speaking literally, obviously, and he wasn't even saying in in a whiny way. He was trying to make his point -- and quite correctly, I think -- that there has been irreparable damage between him and his teammates. There's no connection, no trust, no chemistry. The statement came out in a harsh way because it was a very emotional exchange.

Second, Harrington did not quit on the Lions. His teammates quit on him a long time ago and Harrington was well aware of it -- even if it took Matt Millen a little longer to figure it out. Harrington's disruptive conduct at the quarterback school wasn't done because he was trying to be childish or revengeful. He was doing it because he knew -- again, quite correctly, I think -- that the best thing for both parties was to part company. He did what he felt he had to do to drive home that point.

I don't think his recent conduct is going to stain any future relationships he has with a new team, coaching staff and players. Maybe they'll like him, maybe they won't, but it won't be based on what's happened here in the last two weeks.

Mlive

FYI
See? There is no sportswriter in the country that has to write clarifications of his articles that contradict everything in what he wrote - earlier in the SAME DAY - as Tom Kowalski. First he skewers him and makes him sound like a whiny brat...then he sings his praises and lauds how he had the foresight to get out while the getting was good.Personally, i believe the comment "the team quit on him" is the most appropriate assessment here. He's only doing what anyone would do in the same situation....get the hell out of dodge.

Tom Kowalski

Mlive

FYI
What an idiot this writer is. How could he not realize how people would view the context of his original article?

You're joking right? Sure, he covers the Lions, but locals know he speculates beyond belief at times, changes his tunes more times that you can count, and frequently ends up wrong and having to recant. Don't get me wrong, I do like reading and listening to the guy, but you have to take his stuff with a grain of salt as well.Regarding the quotes by Joey, I wouldn't be suprised if he does feel that way, since he go little to no support from his coaches, teammates or fans ever since he got here. I remember hearing an interview with him and the host was asking about Detroit fans and the Lions organization, and the mood here. Without throwing them all totally under the bus, Joey talked about how hard it is to keep a positive mental attitude here in Detroit, and that the organization (and to an extent the fans also) have a "loser's mentality" that will be very hard to break. Granted, this was right after he was benched last year and Mooch was fired, but he said he finally felt free to speak his mind - what were they gonna do, bench him?

added: case in point the second article (didn't see it when I first posted.) This quote from that articles says it all:

Second, Harrington did not quit on the Lions. His teammates and coaches quit on him a long time ago and Harrington was well aware of it. (italics mine)

Gee, I can't imagine why the fans wouldn't have love for Joey or have a loser mentality? Could it be that the Lions have won like, off the top of my head, 16 games in 5 years? Or to put into perspective, as many games as the Colts won last season alone?

Users who are viewing this thread