What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart - Set to Return Week 7 (1 Viewer)

bocksheesh

Footballguy
Running sprints at practice today and looking good, per the Charlotte Observer.

Question is: does anyone care? Is there any chance he amounts to anything of value in the 2nd Half of the season?

He's not allowed to practice until Week 7, so I wouldn't expect to see him "game ready" until Week 9 at the earliest.

That said, I'm kinda over him.

DeAngelo Williams has played well, so outside of an injury to him or complete fall off of his game, I don't see Stewart getting more than the smaller part of the traditional RBBC there.

Plus, both guys are making huge coin, so there's no financial incentive to get Stewart in there over DWill.

DeAngelo Williams has played well, so outside of an injury to him or complete fall off of his game, I don't see Stewart getting more than the smaller part of the traditional RBBC there.

Plus, both guys are making huge coin, so there's no financial incentive to get Stewart in there over DWill.
Other than the fact that Stewart is only in the second year of a five year deal. He is the future, or at the very least, the team needs to know if he's the future.

With that said, Ron Rivera and the rest of the coaching staff is fighting to keep their jobs, so the player that gives them the best chance to win is going to be on the field.

Stewart will be involved more than expected because of the more run-heavy offense that Mike Shula runs...but there are still a lot of mouths to feed in the running game, with Deangelo, Tolbert, Newton's running, and Kenjon Barner returning this week.

As a Panther fan I would just say I have absolutely no idea whats going to happen to this backfield once Balmer and Stewart come back. Dwill is running well right now and I am not sure they would want to mess up the chemistry but splitting the carries. Although I could absolutely see them doing it based on prior history. I would probably just stay away

With such a unanimous consensus of "nothing to see here," I am sure the fantasy gods will make a point to ring him up for about 18 fantasy pooints in his first game back.

He might be a shark move but, at this point, I don't have the energy to work that angle...again. So, I will just resign myself to the fact that if it happens, may the better shark win. At this point, I can live with it.

As a Panther fan I would just say I have absolutely no idea whats going to happen to this backfield once Balmer and Stewart come back. Dwill is running well right now and I am not sure they would want to mess up the chemistry but splitting the carries. Although I could absolutely see them doing it based on prior history. I would probably just stay away
DWill and Stewart have always worked well together. It might take a game or two to get back into their flow, but there's no reason they can't continue what they've done before other than the OC. I don't have much confidence that Shula would know how to call a game that included both of them.

I could see (and am hoping) that he atleast gets Tolbert's carries, including the goalline work. Someone got tired of his consistant injuries in Dyno and I had the roster space.

I could see (and am hoping) that he atleast gets Tolbert's carries, including the goalline work. Someone got tired of his consistant injuries in Dyno and I had the roster space.
I'd love for that to be true, but I have seen nothing that would indicate that would be the case. Tolbert seems both durable and effective. Why would they make a change? Realistic best case scenario is that he looks really good and takes DeAngelo's job but still loses goal line touches. Timetable for that would be maybe week 9?

Most likely scenario is that he splits time with Williams for the rest of the season. I've got him stashed as a lottery ticket in a few league, but don't have much hope.

DWill and Stewart have always worked well together. It might take a game or two to get back into their flow, but there's no reason they can't continue what they've done before other than the OC. I don't have much confidence that Shula would know how to call a game that included both of them.
They haven't been good together since 2009

stick a fork in any value out of the Carolina RB's.

DeAngelo/Stewart split with Tolbert getting all the short yardage/goal line work.

DeAngelo Williams is expected to remain the Panthers starter even after Jonathan Stewart (ankles) is activated.

No surprise here. Williams has been reasonably effective in his age-30 season, rushing 106 times for 434 yards (4.09 YPC) and adding 12 catches for 113 yards. The Panthers have won three of their last four contests, so a major shakeup isn't coming. If Stewart returns in Week 9, he's expected to mix in behind Williams as the lesser part of a three-headed monster along with Mike Tolbert. Still, Williams' carries are going to take a hit. We won't be able to expect 19.6 touches per game anymore, and Stewart is better in the passing game.

Related: Jonathan Stewart

Source: Charlotte Observer

http://www.rotoworld.com/player/nfl/3611/deangelo-williams

Deangelo is wearing down. It's obvious to anybody that has seen all their games. He has averaged 3.25 yards per carry over the last 3 games. I don't worry about Tolbert. He would be spending a lot of time on the bench if Stewart was healthy. Tolbert is a fullback and would probably be used as a goalline vulture. Stewart is the #1 RB in carolina. I fully expect him to takeover the majority share of the carries once he's fully back. I would expect at least 15 carries per game and a few receptions. He will have value

Deangelo is wearing down. It's obvious to anybody that has seen all their games. He has averaged 3.25 yards per carry over the last 3 games. I don't worry about Tolbert. He would be spending a lot of time on the bench if Stewart was healthy. Tolbert is a fullback and would probably be used as a goalline vulture. Stewart is the #1 RB in carolina. I fully expect him to takeover the majority share of the carries once he's fully back. I would expect at least 15 carries per game and a few receptions. He will have value
Tolbert is a goalline vulture to Williams. But Stewart is just fine on the goalline.

Stewart is the #1 RB in carolina. I fully expect him to takeover the majority share of the carries once he's fully back. I would expect at least 15 carries per game and a few receptions. He will have value
Stewart's carries / game over his entire career: 11.5, 13.8, 12.7, 8.9, 10.3

Stewart's catches / game over his entire career: 0.5, 1.1, 0.6, 2.9, 1.9

Your projections are wildly optimistic, IMO, even if he's 100% healthy, which is a pretty big assumption in and of itself.

Tolbert is a goalline vulture to Williams. But Stewart is just fine on the goalline.
Is that based on his 2 rushing TDs in 2010, his 4 in 2011, or his 1 last year? Tolbert ran for as many TDs last year as Stewart has total since the start of the 2010 season.

Same here. Made a couple of trades this week and needed a spot starter for this week and picked up Tolbert since he's been getting carries ad's passes and touchdowns ,but now Jonathan Is back

I grabbed him in a redraft where I had nothing beyond my top 2. Not expecting much this season, but you never know...

FWIW, Mayock was raving about how good Stewart looked pre-game when the Bucs/Panthers game was in complete blowout / fill the time with anything stages. Said he looked really close to being ready to go, explosive, would be a big boost to them.

Kid got a standing ovation from the team when he returned to practice, which tells me they expect him to be a big boost as well. If you've got a bench spot, why not take a flyer?

Lord help me, I still believe. I've always believed.

I want to get him, but I got Wright, Burleson, and Heyward-Bey off waivers this week. I don't really have anyone else to drop and want to give these guys a run first. What do you guys think?

Said I wouldn't, but I appear to be drinking the Kool-Aid. It's now like a tractor beam sucking me in. Going to drop Montee Ball for him and roll the dice.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/9903753/jonathan-stewart-carolina-panthers-track-activated-pup-week

Stewart, who had offseason surgery on both ankles, took the majority of the snaps at tailback with starter DeAngelo Williams (quadriceps) held out for precautionary reasons.

"He looked amazing,'' said rookie running back Kenjon Barner, like Stewart a former Oregon standout. "That's a big man moving and he was moving well.''

Said Tolbert, "He looked good. He looked real good. I'm excited the way he looked.''

Stewart took a few hits, but none from cornerback Captain Munnerlyn.

"Oh no. I wasn't going to touch him,'' Munnerlyn said with a smile. "He's got a lot of aggression going on right now. He's ready to hit somebody right now. ... He made some cuts. Some people thugged him up here and there.

"Oh, man, he looked great in practice. He looked ready. I'm excited to see him get out there and play.''

"He just looked fast,'' Rivera said. "Fresh legs. Seriously, he looked good. He made some really nice cuts. So it's exciting. It really is.''
Of course he'll probably only get about 10-12 carries this week, but it should be fun.

Well if you're looking at McGahee or Mendenhall and that ilk as a bye week fill-in it could be promising.

Also, if you have Deangelo now would be a good time to trade him..... it's been a good season for him really, he was a good value pick.

Well if you're looking at McGahee or Mendenhall and that ilk as a bye week fill-in it could be promising.

Also, if you have Deangelo now would be a good time to trade him..... it's been a good season for him really, he was a good value pick.
He was for sure, but the juice just isn't there anymore - at least not like it was. I'm a displaced Panthers fan without Sunday Ticket, so to see them play I have to go to a bar... anyway, hadn't seen them in a while, and DW just doesn't look like the guy I remembered. He's getting 4 yards on plays where he would previously break off 8-12-yard runs.

IF Stewart is 2009-2011 healthy, he's going to be a big asset for this team. If he's 2012 healthy, it's just going to muddy things up.

I just hope that Shula knows how to effectively divvy the carries -- enough to get guys in rhythm and utilize each player's skills to the fullest. Chud had no idea how to do that.

I remember Waldman once saying that Stewart, if he had been in a better situation and stayed healthy, was on the Adrien Peterson axis of talent. Time is almost up for J-Stew to deliver on his promise.

I remember Waldman once saying that Stewart, if he had been in a better situation and stayed healthy, was on the Adrien Peterson axis of talent. Time is almost up for J-Stew to deliver on his promise.
He's a height/weight/speed freak of nature. Maybe the #1 pure athlete at RB in the league when you consider all the different variables.

I just hope he can stay healthy and get the volume of touches that he needs.

He's a height/weight/speed freak of nature. Maybe the #1 pure athlete at RB in the league when you consider all the different variables.

Obviously, not ALL of the different variables.

Obviously, not ALL of the different variables.
There are bigger backs and there are more explosive backs, but there is nobody else with the same combination of power and explosiveness.

The guy's built like a linebacker and he runs like a deer. He's the Andre Johnson of running backs.

Picked him up as a cheap ticket on the Super Cam train, just in case it goes into hyper speed to end the season. The two late season games vs NO (14, 16) could be shootouts.

Users who are viewing this thread