What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart - Set to Return Week 7 (1 Viewer)

So basically you had a hole at RB2 where you would like to see 9 points. You picked him up and didn't deem him worth starting over your other options.

That was my point, he's not worth a starting spot except in rare instances. If you aren't going to play him, you would be much better off with another RB on your bench that has some upside.
I actually think I like his upside. He has 25 touches (12 and 13) the last two weeks. He was a good start (as a hole at RB2) against the Falcons and a bad start last week. Brown only had 15 touches and was beyond my expectations last night. I played a hunch and got lucky. I actually feel pretty good about Stewart as a spot starter and that is pretty much what I need. If you have a hole at RB2, that would be the only reason to even discuss Stewart and why I am. Despite the injury, he is actually pretty fresh and when he is getting the most carries (more than DWill and Tolbert combined) in a huge 1 point win at SF, that seems like positive news to me. Brown plays Arizona next week, the #1 run D according to FBG's and Stewart plays Miami, the #31 run D, so IMHO, that is upside. The week after it is reversed so Brown is back in. Throw in Ogbonnaya and I have a 3 headed craptastically fantastic RB2 monster.
My definition of upside is not having 3 guys in front of you getting the same or more rushing attempts. I suspect Stewart will have a good game or two, but good luck figuring that out.
Yeah, I was a little excited from the first game having owned him years before as an effective RB2 (with DWill), but he is firmly on my bench now behind Brown and Ogbonnaya for the RB2 slot. After the first two games, even with only 13 PPR points, I thought he had a chance to be effective with 25 touches. 4 touches isn't going to get anything done.
I think the difference is Tolbert. He wasn't around two years ago and last year Chud didn't use him. They are giving him touches to keep him happy plus he's an also battering ram out there right now. All of these guys have been effective fantasy backs, now none of them are.

Forgot about this thread. Pretty sure I dropped him right after my post above for another stiff. I can't seem to buy a break at RB2. Start Ogby and McGahee springs to life. Start Miller this week and he gets a concussion and Thomas goes off when he wasn't even supposed to play. Too hard to get a bead on Brown because Indy keeps playing Richardson more sometimes and getting nothing. I don't get it since Brown with enough touches always outperforms Richardson,

Anyway, enough of a tangent. The only thing this may do is get Tolbert back into a startable option. Since Stewart came back, Tolbert has not been reliable at all even though he had a nice 4 game stretch.

I still expect a dynasty buy low thread for Stewart this offseason.
In all seriousness, his job has got to now be in jeopardy. Availability on game day is a valuable asset to NFL teams. If this ends Stewarts' season, he'll have played (mostly as a backup) in 15 of his last 32 games possible.

That 2012 contract is looking like one of the worst in NFL history.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/panthers-renegotiated-jonathan-stewart-contract-234811883--nfl.html

In all seriousness, his job has got to now be in jeopardy. Availability on game day is a valuable asset to NFL teams. If this ends Stewarts' season, he'll have played (mostly as a backup) in 15 of his last 32 games possible.

http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nfl-shutdown-corner/panthers-renegotiated-jonathan-stewart-contract-234811883--nfl.html
DeAngelo Williams' monster contract isn't all that much better, but at least he has a 1500 yard season under his belt and has stayed largely healthy.

Love this guy, but Stewart needs a better backup. John Oliver is great for change of pace or split out wide on his own segments, but can't carry the load by himself when Stewart is unable to go.

In all seriousness, his job has got to now be in jeopardy. Availability on game day is a valuable asset to NFL teams. If this ends Stewarts' season, he'll have played (mostly as a backup) in 15 of his last 32 games possible. That 2012 contract is looking like one of the worst in NFL history.

DeAngelo Williams' monster contract isn't all that much better, but at least he has a 1500 yard season under his belt and has stayed largely healthy.
Hard to blame DeAngelo when the team abandoned using him as a true feature back.

Never understood why they paid both. Should've ran with DW when they had the chance. He's on the downside of his prime, but for a while there he was considered an elite talent.

Sorry, I know Stewart has been oft-injured lately, but when this contract was signed, these are Stewart's stats for his first 4 years in the league:

Rushing - 725 for 3500 (4.8ypc) 26 TDs

Receiving - 118 for 702 3 TDs

Missed Games - 2 out of 64

DeAngelo got his deal in 2011, so I agree that the contract didn't make sense having 2 RBs getting paid that much, but in 2012, Stewart was looked upon as a guy who could easily put up RB1 numbers by himself. Almost 900/7 per season is not bad at all getting an average of 181 carries a year.

Anyway, people tend to distort history a bit based on recent events, but Stewart missed 2 games his first four years and averaged around 1000 total yards on limited touches. 4.8ypc on 725 carries ain't bad at all.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina dumps him and DeAngelo (not sure based on cap/contract) and goes rookie and Tolbert. Pretty sure that the RB in Carolina isn't as important as it was when these two combined for around 2300 yards rushing in 2008 and 2009. That was Delhomme, not Newton. If I were Carolina, I am targeting a RB/WR/OL in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds of the draft. The D looks solid and is young, Smith and Olsen look like they should be good for some time and Ginn/LaFell would be nice WR3/4s.

The usual suspects will be pimping him, but the act is wearing thin for the annual "Get on the Stewart hype-train" thread, as there are so many years that people will take this seriously.

Sorry, I know Stewart has been oft-injured lately, but when this contract was signed, these are Stewart's stats for his first 4 years in the league:

Rushing - 725 for 3500 (4.8ypc) 26 TDs

Receiving - 118 for 702 3 TDs

Missed Games - 2 out of 64

DeAngelo got his deal in 2011, so I agree that the contract didn't make sense having 2 RBs getting paid that much, but in 2012, Stewart was looked upon as a guy who could easily put up RB1 numbers by himself. Almost 900/7 per season is not bad at all getting an average of 181 carries a year.

Anyway, people tend to distort history a bit based on recent events, but Stewart missed 2 games his first four years and averaged around 1000 total yards on limited touches. 4.8ypc on 725 carries ain't bad at all.

That said, I wouldn't be surprised if Carolina dumps him and DeAngelo (not sure based on cap/contract) and goes rookie and Tolbert. Pretty sure that the RB in Carolina isn't as important as it was when these two combined for around 2300 yards rushing in 2008 and 2009. That was Delhomme, not Newton. If I were Carolina, I am targeting a RB/WR/OL in the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounds of the draft. The D looks solid and is young, Smith and Olsen look like they should be good for some time and Ginn/LaFell would be nice WR3/4s.
I wasn't implying Stewart was never a good player. Carolina's ROI is one of the worst in league history though.

Take those sweet juicy D Will stats and split them in two :)
:goodposting:

Anyone who has any part of this backfield gets what they deserve
:goodposting:

High risk, low return. Also, people that say they plucked Stewart off the wire and it cost them nothing are just wrong. That move cost you opportunity to find a different WW player that could have helped. WW moves are important part of championship runs and being wrong costs you.

It is clear Stewart has chronic leg, ankle, foot issues dating back to high school and simply does not have a durable frame for his much hyped size/speed combo. The real issue isn't even the number of games he has missed but rather the vast number of games he got nicked up, left early or played at less than 100%. This guy and McFadden are nearly undraftable next year in any format as it is a virtual certainty they will both get hurt at some point.

It is clear Stewart has chronic leg, ankle, foot issues dating back to high school and simply does not have a durable frame for his much hyped size/speed combo. The real issue isn't even the number of games he has missed but rather the vast number of games he got nicked up, left early or played at less than 100%. This guy and McFadden are nearly undraftable next year in any format as it is a virtual certainty they will both get hurt at some point.
Nobody with talent is undraftable. If Stewart and DMC slip enough then they'd be great guys to add in an upside down draft or even just as upside plays in flex leagues. If everyone feels like you then they will be very cheap. Talent + low ADP is a beautiful thing.

Users who are viewing this thread