What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Gordon- will he be the guy in CLE? (1 Viewer)

fbelange

Footballguy
With all these points I have been leaving on my bench, I hope it doesnt happen this week because im F***ing starting Gordon....

Anyway. I know Weeden has a thumb injury, but Gordon is clearly their best receving option. Whats this guy going to do his first week back? Are we looking at a lot of targets, or him just getting his feet wet?

Lots of targets. Little can't catch. Benjamin can't get open. Bess is occasional move-the-chains guy. Should be the Gordon and Cameron show.

I'm gonna roll with him in my flex in my start 3 WR + flex league due to losing Vereen and now probably Lacy. It's either him or Givens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of targets. Little can't catch. Benjamin can't get open. Bess is occasional move-the-chains guy. Should be the Gordon and Cameron show.
Brutal. top 15 in WR targets with a stinking 8-59 to show for it. Those targets will now belong to Gordon.

With Campbell starting this week, no idea what Gordon will do. Campbell was referred to as Capt Checkdown here in Washington, so I'd expect Cameron to have a solid game. Gordon could see some screen passes come his way.

With Campbell starting this week, no idea what Gordon will do. Campbell was referred to as Capt Checkdown here in Washington, so I'd expect Cameron to have a solid game. Gordon could see some screen passes come his way.
Is that confirmed?

As another person who suffered through years of Campbell, I'd say if he goes that is very accurate. Cameron would get a lot of targets, Gordon would only get a couple short to mid ones.

Is that confirmed?

As another person who suffered through years of Campbell, I'd say if he goes that is very accurate. Cameron would get a lot of targets, Gordon would only get a couple short to mid ones.
From Rotoworld:

The Akron Beacon-Journal reports Brandon Weeden (right throwing thumb) will likely be sidelined for Sunday's Week 3 game against the Vikings.
Beat writer Nate Ulrich says it "wouldn't be surprising" if coach Rob Chudzinski ruled Weeden out in the next couple of days. The Browns want to see how Weeden "responds to treatment" before doing so. Weeden underwent an MRI on Monday, while X-rays came back negative after he injured the thumb in the fourth quarter of yesterday's loss to the Ravens. One of Jason Campbell or Brian Hoyer is expected to start the game in Minnesota. Our money is on Campbell.

Not happy at all with the Campbell development, I'm keeping Gordo on the bench.

Also the Browns have not come out like I hoped; Norv is still Norv, Richardson is underfed, the reliance on the TE is great for Cameron of course (been pulling for him since the NFL draft) but otherwise this looks a lot like last year in terms of total production. Which is sad because I'm pulling for the Browns.

The Browns are living proof that it doesn't matter what you do with your team, if you stink at QB, you are likely to stink on the field.

Nasty defense, solid Oline, good TE, good RB, yet they still stink.

I'd say put in Hoyer and see what happens.

line is actually awful right now. missing both starting guards who weren't great to begin with.

starting street level talent at both spots.

Gordon to the bench it is. At least he will get some game reps and hoepfully Weeden is back next week. Im relying on this guy to be a huge flier for me. 12/120/2 would be nice later in the year during bye weeks.

I wouldn't be so fast to bench Gordon, but I do agree that Campbell is captain check down. As a Bears fan, I watched him come in for Cutler and slowly dwindle our playoff chances. The game I went to that year, Campbell checked down virtually every play.

The hope is that Cameron with Gordon opens the field up a bit. I think Gordon is a WR 3 with upside this week. I would only bench for other decent options.

Hell Campbell checked down to a 4 yard shovel pass on 4th and 10 with a minute left in the Baltimore game.

Throw the ball Jason.

You guys are acting as though Weeden is Tom Brady. Do you really think the downgrade to Campbell is THAT large?

You guys are acting as though Weeden is Tom Brady. Do you really think the downgrade to Campbell is THAT large?
As a Browns fan, I'd say there's at least a 50% chance that if Weeden wasn't a first round pick last year he wouldn't have won the QB "competition" in the preseason.

Thoughts on Gordons performance with Hoyer in? I am very unfamiliar with Hoyer's background so I have no idea what to expect.

Hoyer has no background unless you consider his game started for Arizona last year. I think if you have any other viable options benching Gordon is the right move.

Bye bye Trent Richardson.

Bad news for Gordon in my opinion.
Since when was more garbage time for a WR bad? This is GREAT news for him IMO
By trading away Richardson I'm assuming the Browns are viewing this entire season like a preseason. THey're literally trying to lose and evaluate talent to suck more than Jacksonville for Bridgewater

Bridgewater-to-Gordon may make him an intriguing keeper option next year.

Lots of football left to play in both CF and NFL, but I'm definitely keeping an eye on the situation.

I think there may be a bit of a bump for Gordon this season, as noted above - basically they can chuck it every down and see what happens...if they 3-and-out every drive, they're going to have the result they are looking for anyway at the end of the season.

I'm still a bit shell-shocked by the trade though. You can't say Irsay doesn't bring some excitement to the NFL!

:goodposting:

I think, regardless of the QB situation, this is a good thing. This team could potentially be playing most of all second halves in garbage time. Could be a god-send, potentially less rushes for Richardson to deal with.
Unless the opposing team puts the entire defense on him knowing no one else can beat them.

:goodposting:

I think, regardless of the QB situation, this is a good thing. This team could potentially be playing most of all second halves in garbage time. Could be a god-send, potentially less rushes for Richardson to deal with.
Unless the opposing team puts the entire defense on him knowing no one else can beat them.
Good point. No way to know until we see how this plays out. Hold and see is the best I could say right now if he's rostered. Maybe buy for peanuts if the owner is freaking out as a lotto ticket. We'll see is the best I got.

Browns | Josh Gordon next out the door? Wed Sep 18, 07:30 PM

Some anonymous NFL executives feel that if Cleveland Browns chief executive officer Joe Banner could trade WR Josh Gordon, he will do it before the NFL trade deadline of Oct. 29.
Can we just change the franchise name to the Cleveland Marlins and be done with it?

wasn't exec lombardi highly critical of the browns spending a second on gordon when he was working for the NFL channel?

if they do trade, it may say as much or more about gordon as the browns...

they have been able to observe him since taking over, and may not like what they see, maturity and professionalism-wise...

next mistake could be one year suspension...

not trying to be a downer, hope he can turn his career around, he has elite talent (slower dre johnson?) if he can get his head on straight, but there is a lot of attendant risk for a regime that didn't draft him, and doesn't have a vested interest in him...

but with all the baggage, what would he fetch? a fourth at best, maybe fifth (or maybe conditional on playing time)?

As a gordon owner in dynasty and redraft ... I hope to hell he is the next one out of that #### show. Please please please. :tebow:

Browns | Josh Gordon next out the door? Wed Sep 18, 07:30 PM

Some anonymous NFL executives feel that if Cleveland Browns chief executive officer Joe Banner could trade WR Josh Gordon, he will do it before the NFL trade deadline of Oct. 29.

per Caplan:

https://twitter.com/caplannfl/status/380475267497480193
Gosh, if only he could find a taker, if only some team would/could take Gordo off their hands, if only...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gwxQ3R0Vi3g

come on Patriots!!!!!!!!!
That's the first thought that popped into my head as well. I don't see him being traded at all, but while they're shipping off the season why not consider trying to flip him and Weeden for whatever scraps they can get.

As for how this will affect Gordon's fantasy perspective, I'm not optimistic. As others have noticed, if the running game is as terrible as signs are pointing to, defenses will be able to key in on Gordon and/or Cameron and hurt their numbers. That, coupled with mediocrity from the QB position no matter who is there doesn't bode well. I don't quite get the logic that losing Trent will somehow mean they will be playing behind much more than they already are. The Browns defense is actually pretty impressive this season, and should be able to keep the games close enough to not force them to have to completely abandon the running game for time constraint purposes. If the defense was miserable a la Washington, I could see that line of thinking having some credibility.

Doubt the Patriots trade or him. It's pretty much confirmed that the offensive system in NE is not something you just pick up in a couple of weeks. Carolina might be a more likely destination

If Gordon goes to NE by the trade deadline I would have a mangasm.

It might turn out to be circa Randy Moss in the prime of his years with Brady.

Coach Rob Chudzinski suggested that Brandon Weeden (thumb) isn't a lock to eventually get his starting job back.

is it time to sell gordon now while he still has value

wasn't exec lombardi highly critical of the browns spending a second on gordon when he was working for the NFL channel?

if they do trade, it may say as much or more about gordon as the browns...

they have been able to observe him since taking over, and may not like what they see, maturity and professionalism-wise...

next mistake could be one year suspension...

not trying to be a downer, hope he can turn his career around, he has elite talent (slower dre johnson?) if he can get his head on straight, but there is a lot of attendant risk for a regime that didn't draft him, and doesn't have a vested interest in him...

but with all the baggage, what would he fetch? a fourth at best, maybe fifth (or maybe conditional on playing time)?
This means they won't get anywhere close to equal value.

So trading Gordon does not make sense, and his value will be ####e unless Hoyer actually plays better than Weeden, which I doubt.

Obviously neither Weeden nor Hoyer are going to be starting next year. Anywhere. So I don't see why they wouldn't play Weeden when healthy. It's not like they'll be seeing what they have in other QBs or grooming their QB of the future.

And why not have Weeden in there to at least get Gordon some experience? I don't think they trade Gordon as his contract is really cheap and they'll need a WR next year if they land a franchise QB.

Coach Rob Chudzinski suggested that Brandon Weeden (thumb) isn't a lock to eventually get his starting job back.

is it time to sell gordon now while he still has value
I think that compared to his freakish potential, his value is quite low right now. With the questions at QB for Cleveland, it's probably the lowest it's been since June. I think he's a hold. Or maybe even a buy. They will be playing from behind. That's a good thing. There are also some trade talks. If a gig like New England or Philly should open up, he jumps to a top 15 receiver immediately. I'm holding.

Users who are viewing this thread