What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Julius Thomas week 1...starting him with confidence? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the waiver wire thread next week or at some point this season. We'll see
I think he can definitely put up some TDs. I project something like 48 rec- 480 yds - 6 TDs. That probably puts him in the TE15 range and decent bye week filler.

Wouldn't be surprised to see him on the waiver wire thread next week or at some point this season. We'll see
I think he can definitely put up some TDs. I project something like 48 rec- 480 yds - 6 TDs. That probably puts him in the TE15 range and decent bye week filler.
FWIW Gronk finished TE5 with 42 receptions.

And no I'm not intending to compare the 2.

Manning had 400 completions last year...

94 to DT, 85 to Decker, 45 to Stokley... 224 total to top 3 WRs. Now add Welker to the mix and remove Stokley you are probably looking at 250 receptions between the big 3. That leaves 150 left

MacGahee, Moreno, & Hillman got 57 receptions total. Lets say 50 for this years RB core. That leaves 100 left.

28 receptions went to random players. Lets say 25 this year to random players. That leaves 75 left between the TEs.

Considering Tamme, Dreesen, and Green are still on the roster I think youre insane if you project Thomas to get more than 48 of those remaining 75 catches.
Manning and the pass offense will be better and they will run more plays.

Peyton Manning's starting TE's upside is 3 catches? :bs:
Jacob Tamme has 3.25 per game, Joel Dreesen had 2.6 per game. Now add Wes Welker to the mix.

Seriously what do you predict out of this guy this year? More than 48 catches? Youre insane
Peyton threw more yards last year then in 2004. He was also on a new team and recovering from a big injury.

In that '04 year he had a WR with 1,200, another with 1,100 and yet another with 1,000. Then he had RBs with over 500.

How did the TEs fair? 58 - 765 - 11.
So now we're comparing Thomas' projections with multiple TEs?
Yep. Because there isnt a Marcus Pollard anywhere on this team.

JT is the Dallas Clark equivalent in this scenario... with no Marcus Pollard.

Also the RBs wont be catching as many balls as Edge did. No way, no how.
So youre saying if Julius Thomas catches 100% of the TE passes he will catch 58 balls
Nope.

I'm saying Peyton will throw for more yards and completions this year. JT will be his out-n-out primary tight end while doing so.

He caught 3 balls in the first quarter with DThomas, WWelker, and EDecker out there every play versus the Seahawks just a couple weeks ago.

They are going to feast on this schedule.... http://www.denverbroncos.com/schedule-and-events/schedule.html This week will likely be the lowest point all season, vs the Ravens.
He caught 3 balls in the first quarter because the game plan was to give JT a chance to show what he could do, not because the other guys weren't open.

I think he will be a fine TE this year, but don't expect 12 targets a game. Last year TEs were targetted about 150 times by Manning. That number will go down due to Welker working the middle. With the uptempo game plan and JT's atheletic ability, 100 targets doesn't seem unreasonable. That's solid production for the TE position...

Just to add, if JT is productive on his targets, I could see Moreno getting more passing down work to pick up the slack in blocking...

He had 55 catches, 790 yds, 11 Tds

Where have I seen this before? Oh ya, this is the same pissing match everyone had about Wilson/Brown and Miller/Thomas

Manning had 400 completions last year...

94 to DT, 85 to Decker, 45 to Stokley... 224 total to top 3 WRs. Now add Welker to the mix and remove Stokley you are probably looking at 250 receptions between the big 3. That leaves 150 left

MacGahee, Moreno, & Hillman got 57 receptions total. Lets say 50 for this years RB core. That leaves 100 left.

28 receptions went to random players. Lets say 25 this year to random players. That leaves 75 left between the TEs.

Considering Tamme, Dreesen, and Green are still on the roster I think youre insane if you project Thomas to get more than 48 of those remaining 75 catches.
I will take the over and bump this post at seasons end. I think Manning throws for more than 400 completions. I also think Welker cuts more into Decker then the TE total. Even at that Welker is being overprojected imo.

Last edited by a moderator:

In 2010 he was TE5 with 42/546/10

In 2010 he was TE5 with 42/546/10
Fantastic! What does that have to do with my projections? 11 Tds vs 6 Tds pretty big difference no?

Decker gets pretty over-rated in these discussions because he gets lumped in with DT and Welker. He doesn't really belong with those guys IMO.

If JT isn't good enough to take some targets from Decker, and probably surpass him, then he's not worth all of this hype. I'm not holding JT hoping that the #4 target is good enough to use - I'm holding him hoping that he's better than the #4 target.

Seriously what do you predict out of this guy this year? More than 48 catches? Youre insane
I'll eat my shoe if he has less than 50 catches this year (barring injury). Peyton loves TEs, and it would seem like JT is head and shoulders above the rest of the TEs.

Well, at the very least Dreessen is shaping up to be a no-go for week 1. This is obviously a huge boon to JT's value, at least for this week.

Broncos TE Joel Dreessen (knee) is not practicing this week.
In-line TE Dreessen has undergone two scopes on his balky left knee since May. Julius Thomas will open the season as the Broncos' every-down tight end.
JT is going to see a lot of snaps as the in-line TE on Thursday. What that translates to is anyone's guess, but he'll undoubtedly get the opportunity to produce.

Interesting that DEN has had him on their roster the past 2 season w/ no production and in the 3rd season he's their starting TE. Think that DEN knows something more than you do.

:bowtie:

Interesting that DEN has had him on their roster the past 2 season w/ no production and in the 3rd season he's their starting TE. Think that DEN knows something more than you do.

That's kind of what I was saying..

I realize this guy is 4th on the pecking order, but I think his size makes him an ideal TD threat. Add to that he seems ideal as a non-blocking type of TE and Manning is known to utilize his TEs. I think this could set up as a nice season for him. I think he is a nice stash for a couple weeks to see what he's got if you have bench space. And hey, its the first game of the season so it will be nice to sit back and watch him play tomorrow night.

Got him very late in a 2 person keeper league last night (13th round)

Actually flirting with the idea of starting him over Randolph but probably won't.

That's kind of what I was saying..

I realize this guy is 4th on the pecking order, but I think his size makes him an ideal TD threat. Add to that he seems ideal as a non-blocking type of TE and Manning is known to utilize his TEs. I think this could set up as a nice season for him. I think he is a nice stash for a couple weeks to see what he's got if you have bench space. And hey, its the first game of the season so it will be nice to sit back and watch him play tomorrow night.
Got it.

I'm not starting him this week. He's a TE3 flier for me on a deep roster. I see all the projections and arguments about how many receptions he can get, how many targets with all the other recievers, etc. But he's a late round flier for most. He looks the part, and If Peyton sees him as a mismatch he will get him the ball. If he gets 2 receptions for 16 yards, oh well. But if he gets 5-73 and a TD, you've got a lottery winner for trade value or hold and see if it continues. I just don't see a big down side. If he is fools gold I wasted a 15th round pick.

I'm not starting him this week. He's a TE3 flier for me on a deep roster. I see all the projections and arguments about how many receptions he can get, how many targets with all the other recievers, etc. But he's a late round flier for most. He looks the part, and If Peyton sees him as a mismatch he will get him the ball. If he gets 2 receptions for 16 yards, oh well. But if he gets 5-73 and a TD, you've got a lottery winner for trade value or hold and see if it continues. I just don't see a big down side. If he is fools gold I wasted a 15th round pick.
Of course. But these people are starting with confidence in week 1.

See, here is the rub. Payton= trust + run right route + open receiver = gets ball. Assume a reasonable running game and you can't/won't double cover Thomas, so his ceiling could easily top expectations.

He's a sell high as long as DT, Welker, and Decker are healthy. If you can get a decent 1st rd pick in dynasty leagues, I would suggest you do it. Perhaps you will get a shot at Marquise Lee, Sammy Watkins, or Teddy Bridgewater in 2014.

I don't understand the JT hype backlash

Jordan Cameron has an ADP of TE8 and has 26 career receptions. Finley has an ADP of TE7 despite never really living up to an insane amount of hype.

Meanwhile JT at an ADP of TE19+ is the most criticized hype train/sit start in the shark pool? In a possible historic passing offense with a HOF QB?

I don't get it

Of course. But these people are starting with confidence in week 1.
I think people saying that they're "starting him with confidence" aren't being 100% truthful but it's quite possible to like his upside and be comfortable with taking the gamble at the TE position.

I mean, the TE position is usually very much a crapshoot regardless. Unless you have someone like Graham, Witten, Gonzo and etc., the disparity between the tail end of starting TEs and the rest of the field isn't very large at all (we're talking 1-2 PPG in PPR). Ultimately, you're going to be getting a low-end WR3/WR4 equivalent with a guy from the aforementioned group. This is the perfect spot to gamble on.

Jordan Cameron has an ADP of TE8 and has 26 career receptions. Finley has an ADP of TE7 despite never really living up to an insane amount of hype.

Meanwhile JT at an ADP of TE19+ is the most criticized hype train/sit start in the shark pool? In a possible historic passing offense with a HOF QB?

I don't get it
Demaryius Thomas + Eric Decker + Wes Welker over Greg Little competing for targets. Plus this is week 1, IMMEDIATELY after everyone drafted and you would think they would have a drafted a Tight End before TE19. So who are they starting him over? (The Gronk owners I kind of give a pass although that still means 18 TEs were drafted before him that they could start in week 1).

I don't get it
Demaryius Thomas + Eric Decker + Wes Welker over Greg Little competing for targets. Plus this is week 1, IMMEDIATELY after everyone drafted and you would think they would have a drafted a Tight End before TE19. So who are they starting him over? (The Gronk owners I kind of give a pass although that still means 18 TEs were drafted before him that they could start in week 1).
Its also because of Chudzinski. Still I wouldn't say JT is a starter with confidence either. Maybe a start with high hopes maybe

I don't get it
Peyton Manning versus Brandon Weeden.

I don't get it
Again, Im not saying hes not a decent stash. But to start this guy with confidence in week 1 when everyone just had their draft and there are no bye weeks, injuries etc is insanity

Plus this is week 1, IMMEDIATELY after everyone drafted and you would think they would have a drafted a Tight End before TE19. So who are they starting him over? (The Gronk owners I kind of give a pass although that still means 18 TEs were drafted before him that they could start in week 1).
I’m starting him over Finley in a couple leagues. To me Finley is low-floor, high-ceiling. Thomas is medium-floor, unknown-ceiling.

I don't get it
Again, Im not saying hes not a decent stash. But to start this guy with confidence in week 1 when everyone just had their draft and there are no bye weeks, injuries etc is insanity
I'm not seeing how it's insanity. Out of the 18 or so TEs taken before JT, I'm betting half of them don't have his upside. He's going to be seeing extensive playing time (likely a full compliment of snaps) in one of, if not the most potent offense in the league.. Do you really believe the difference between TE10-12 and JT to be that large?

You're rarely going to lose if your TE (low-end WR3/WR4) equivalent doesn't meet expectations.

I don't get it
I'm not seeing how it's insanity. Out of the 18 or so TEs taken before JT, I'm betting half of them don't have his upside. He's going to be seeing extensive playing time (likely a full compliment of snaps) in one of, if not the most potent offense in the league.. Do you really believe the difference between TE10-12 and JT to be that large?

You're rarely going to lose if your TE (low-end WR3/WR4) equivalent doesn't meet expectations.
Im sorry but I cant agree with a 4th option in ANY passing game has much upside at all.

Plus this is week 1, IMMEDIATELY after everyone drafted and you would think they would have a drafted a Tight End before TE19. So who are they starting him over? (The Gronk owners I kind of give a pass although that still means 18 TEs were drafted before him that they could start in week 1).
I’m starting him over Finley in a couple leagues. To me Finley is low-floor, high-ceiling. Thomas is medium-floor, unknown-ceiling.
You're kidding right?

Look, I got my eye on the kid as a stash away, but starting him Week 1 especially over Finley, is grasping for hope.

Gronk drafter here. I am using Brandon Myers as my TE until Gronk is ready. Julius Thomas is on the WW. This redraft league is 12 team PPR. I like Thomas' upside (I have him in dynasty), but not sure he is going to get more than Myers. I look back on the best TE days in Indy and D. Clark had his career year after the dynamic duo of Harrison and Wayne were gone. We now see the triplets with Demaryius, Decker, and Welker, and to me, that means more WR targets than TE targets.

I don't get it

Im sorry but I cant agree with a 4th option in ANY passing game has much upside at all.
Are you starting Vernon Davis or Finley with confidence?

Confidence is relative to position. Outside of 5-6 guys no one is going to be all that confident in their TE.

that said, OP probably could of phrased the thread title a little better.

Confidence is relative to position. Outside of 5-6 guys no one is going to be all that confident in their TE.

that said, OP probably could of phrased the thread title a little better.
:goodposting:

I don't get it

It's not super common but for from unheard of. Lance Moore, as the 4th option in NO put up a 65/1041/6 stat line last year. Welker, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez all got love in NE when healthy last year. Top passing offenses can support the 4th option in the passing game.

shadyridr said:
SameSongNDance said:
shadyridr said:
ImTheScientist said:
shadyridr said:
FDC said:

I don't get it

I wish people would stop calling him the 4th option. With Peyton Manning the TE will be the first or second read on a lot of pass plays.

shadyridr said:
SameSongNDance said:
shadyridr said:
ImTheScientist said:
shadyridr said:
FDC said:

I don't get it

I wish people would stop calling him the 4th option. With Peyton Manning the TE will be the first or second read on a lot of pass plays.
:lmao: talk about wishful thinking

SameSongNDance said:
shadyridr said:
SameSongNDance said:
shadyridr said:
ImTheScientist said:
shadyridr said:
FDC said:

I don't get it

It's not super common but for from unheard of. Lance Moore, as the 4th option in NO put up a 65/1041/6 stat line last year. Welker, Lloyd, Gronk and Hernandez all got love in NE when healthy last year. Top passing offenses can support the 4th option in the passing game.
Maybe due to injury, sure. Didnt Sproles & Graham both miss time last year?

Phenix said:
Grigs Allmoon said:
shadyridr said:
You're kidding right?

Look, I got my eye on the kid as a stash away, but starting him Week 1 especially over Finley, is grasping for hope.
You haven't owned Finley lately, have you. I just looked back ad counted 6 games last year with 5 or fewer points. That's why I consider him a low floor until he proves otherwise.

Seriously, if there's one hype train that needs derailing it's the Finley train. He's a known quantity and yet somehow half the board thinks he's going to be great this season.

Phenix said:
Grigs Allmoon said:
shadyridr said:
You're kidding right? Look, I got my eye on the kid as a stash away, but starting him Week 1 especially over Finley, is grasping for hope.
You haven't owned Finley lately, have you. I just looked back ad counted 6 games last year with 5 or fewer points. That's why I consider him a low floor until he proves otherwise.
You only owned Finley during during the 2012 season haven't you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread