What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge. (1 Viewer)

ETA: also just wait for people cheering on the glorious use of this 12M start chirping about fiscal responsibility and government waste in another thread too.
The 12 million will likely save many more millions. If this causes democrats to admit that we are being overwhelmed(declaring emergencies and crisises pretty much equals an admission), we will see some changes.

So this isnt the sick burn you think it is.

Ekbeats I can show you numerous studies that show that undocumented immigrants are a net benefit to the USA, that they pay billions in taxes every year.
Heritage foundation puts cost at 54 billion/ year. That's from 2013, but I don't see how costs would have gone down with our govt

spending skyrocketing.

The studies you prefer never measure true costs.

This isn't complicated. We spend more money than we take in as a whole. How the hell would people on the poorest end of the scale be a net benefit financially?

This sounds like something Biden would propose.

Joe, how can we lower the deficit?

Well we will bring in tons of people for the lowest tax bracket. Then we will hire 80,000 IRS agents and squeeze them. Boom, net benefit.
The same people who wanted $15/hour living wages (that was cute), are the same ones who like cheap cash labor from illegals.

I feel sorry for the people who were sent to Martha’s Vineyard. It is great to see the pompous asses complaining though. I guess they are not that accepting either.
They were accepting. Read the reports of how the community rallied to benefit the immigrants.
Send them more then. Hollywood and gov Newsom should get some also.
Applauding and supporting cruelty. At least you’re owning your own moral failings.
Sorry that I don’t hold up to your moral standards. I’m out for the day.

Do you really think they are that far away from the city? They are right near Ohare and the other just near the 294 corridor...its outside of downtown, but still very much in what people would consider "Chicago".
Why didn't she just keep them in the city?
Why would I know that answer myself? Hotel in the burbs cost less than hotel in the city...less for the taxpayer to worry about. Are you under the impression that they are that far out of actual Chicago?
If what DeSantis did was a political stunt, then what Lightfoot did was too.
But no one cared here when she did it.
They also don’t care when Biden does it either.
I hope the transporting of the illegals by the Pres gets more press as Biden tries to drum up charges against the TX and FL governors.
Feds fly thousands of migrants to Florida in the middle of the night without telling anyone - crickets. DeSantis flys 50 to mv - media storm and outrage.
Do you believe the two examples are exactly the same?
Very little difference. The migrants have no idea where they’re going and most don’t care as long it’s in the us. I get it’s a political stunt by Republicans but it being done to bring attention to the issue since the media and administration are silent. The states ultimately bear the financial and resource burden with no support federally. It’s like me saying I really like goats but karma you are going to house and fed them in your backyard with no financial support from me. What’s your address?

What is the issue with getting these people to Sanctuary cities? Isn’t that why they were created?
That’s the brilliance of what DeSantis and the Texas governor are doing. They are exposing the hypocrisy of the liberal NIMBY left. When the cameras are there they will set up cots in a church, but the very next day they will call the national guard and ship them off to the mainland. This is going to be a new thing now. Conservatives are going to make liberals walk the walk rather than talk the talk. Question for the liberals in here - how many of you actually live in depressed areas, or in cities that are predominantly black?
There is no hypocrisy. There is no NIMBY. The amount of help people in Martha’s Vineyard offered was heartwarming. The only reason that they moved them to Cape Cod was because the facilities were better.

DeSantis isn’t brilliant; he just looks like a ridiculous fool for doing this.
Excuses are like buttholes: everybody's got one.

The fact of the matter is the people of Martha's Vineyard did not want them there. That's why they sent them somewhere else. I didn't see anyone opening any doors for them.

But that certainly didn't stop them from talking the talk.
This is a false narrative. You’re getting bad information.

Once again the conservative rejection of the mainstream media is preventing us from having a reasonable conversation. There aren’t two sets of facts.

Do you really think they are that far away from the city? They are right near Ohare and the other just near the 294 corridor...its outside of downtown, but still very much in what people would consider "Chicago".
Why would I know that answer myself? Hotel in the burbs cost less than hotel in the city...less for the taxpayer to worry about. Are you under the impression that they are that far out of actual Chicago?
I hope the transporting of the illegals by the Pres gets more press as Biden tries to drum up charges against the TX and FL governors.
Feds fly thousands of migrants to Florida in the middle of the night without telling anyone - crickets. DeSantis flys 50 to mv - media storm and outrage.
Very little difference. The migrants have no idea where they’re going and most don’t care as long it’s in the us. I get it’s a political stunt by Republicans but it being done to bring attention to the issue since the media and administration are silent. The states ultimately bear the financial and resource burden with no support federally. It’s like me saying I really like goats but karma you are going to house and fed them in your backyard with no financial support from me. What’s your address?
The media and the administration have long been trying to bring attention to this issue. Attention is not the problem; the problem is that the modern day conservative approach to this issue is unacceptable to the rest of us. We don’t want a wall on our border or shut it down. We don’t want the “Remain in Mexico” policy. . We don’t want to deport people. We don’t want to treat them inhumanely.
Almost everyone wants an orderly, legal immigration system. We don’t want border cities overburdened. But we’re not going to accept Trumpian “solutions”. Come up with something else.

ETA: also just wait for people cheering on the glorious use of this 12M start chirping about fiscal responsibility and government waste in another thread too.
The 12 million will likely save many more millions. If this causes democrats to admit that we are being overwhelmed(declaring emergencies and crisises pretty much equals an admission), we will see some changes.

I am sure that will be the outcome from this. The Ds woke up today and realized the error of their ways. :lol:

The media and the administration have long been trying to bring attention to this issue. Attention is not the problem; the problem is that the modern day conservative approach to this issue is unacceptable to the rest of us. We don’t want a wall on our border or shut it down. We don’t want the “Remain in Mexico” policy. . We don’t want to deport people. We don’t want to treat them inhumanely.
Almost everyone wants an orderly, legal immigration system. We don’t want border cities overburdened. But we’re not going to accept Trumpian “solutions”. Come up with something else.
The administration has repeatedly denied there’s not a border crisis or problem. They repeat the same lie that border is secure and no one is just walking in while we all watch videos showing the exact opposite. We need something in between what we have now and closed borders that is organized and planned. Now is pure chaos.

I am sure that will be the outcome from this. The Ds woke up today and realized the error of their ways. :lol:
Yeah, when your state is #2 in COVID cases and #6 in deaths; negligent use of COVID $$ for your election campaign.

The administration has repeatedly denied there’s not a border crisis or problem. They repeat the same lie that border is secure and no one is just walking in while we all watch videos showing the exact opposite. We need something in between what we have now and closed borders that is organized and planned. Now is pure chaos.
Well then come up with a plan, I’m all ears. I will not accept the “plan” offered by the politicians you appear to be supporting.

Have you paid any attention to the reactions from this. The word IF belongs nowhere in your thought. We already SEE the reactions. Apparently in the US MSM the story goes "GOP heartlessly sent a bunch of immigrants to places they didn't understand they were going and locals accepted them, fed them and gave them a place to stay while they found a more long term solution for them".

If you think this is bridging the gap, I'm not sure where we go from here. As one who's been critical of every single administration on this issue, this is just as dumb and divisive as any stunt pulled by any other administration since I've been alive. It's political theater using individuals as pawns. It's gross and disgusting. And save the "whataboutisms"....I said the same thing under Trump and Obama. NONE of them want to fix it and it's pathetic that our electorate is putting up with any of it. We fix this by staffing many more lawyers and many more judges. We build facilities suitable for processing the volumes. That's how the immigrant issue gets fixed. Same as it ever was.

Yeah, when your state is #2 in COVID cases and #6 in deaths; negligent use of COVID $$ for your election campaign.
Give us a couple more summers and we'll be #1 in covid deaths :thumbup:

I didn't see anyone opening any doors for them.
Switch your news sources...you can read all about it on media outside the US....they were taken in by the people there, fed and provided a place to stay. :shrug:
LINK

The scene left some of the island residents who volunteered to shelter them in a church for two nights in tears. Locals had come together to donate money, toiletries and toys for the migrants. A local thrift shop donated clean clothes, restaurants took turns organizing meals and pro-bono lawyers flew in to help the migrants with paperwork and immigration cases.

Let me guess - the narrative is that because they didn't literally open their doors and house them on their own property, that is "owning" them for their position on immigrants.

Did you watch the segment you linked? The reason they are thanking DeSantis is because they “were very well received” at Martha’s Vineyard. Very well received? That doesn’t quite fit into the conservative narrative of this story, and I strongly doubt it was DeSantis’ intent that they would be very well received since nobody on the receiving end was told they were even coming.

Typical Twitter news clips - love the nebulous "they" again. "They" are thanking DeSantis - All of them are thanking DeSantis? What are the ones who are thanking him, thanking him for exactly?

Do you listen to and care about what the opinions and thoughts of the immigrants are all the time, or just the times they agree with your position? Ie if I link to a group of immigrants talking negatively about a wall, how they have been treated, or the previous administration would that move the needle for you?

Funny that people would believe this group of people all have the same thoughts about their situation.

Did you watch the segment you linked? The reason they are thanking DeSantis is because they “were very well received” at Martha’s Vineyard. Very well received? That doesn’t quite fit into the conservative narrative of this story, and I strongly doubt it was DeSantis’ intent that they would be very well received since nobody on the receiving end was told they were even coming.
I was going to circle back to that point. Probably not quite the reaction they think it is - John's link almost comes of as though they are thanking DeSantis for sending them somewhere where people acted like they gave a crap about them.

ROFLMAO. Now NBC isn't reporting accurately. As usual, you guy's make up your mind and then seek out information that supports your chosen POV instead of seeking out factual data and using that to form your opinion.

ROFLMAO. Now NBC isn't reporting accurately. As usual, you guy's make up your mind and then seek out information that supports your chosen POV instead of seeking out factual data and using that to form your opinion.
I didn't say they weren't reporting accurately. I have no doubt that there were people in the group that were thankful. Just pointing out the use of "they" doesn't mean much but implies all or most, which is misleading but that's what media does for the most part. Also, that thanking DeSantis because they were well received isn't quite the compliment towards him I would guess people thought it was - and not sure how it goes against the dem talking points like you posted, but feel free to elaborate on that for us.

Of course. :lol:
I am guessing he is accusing of me and tim of something - not sure exactly what, but he can clear that up. Assuming something that is not accurate though - like I usually blindly believe NBC (despite not really using them), but am chosing to push back on details of his twitter link for... reasons?

More like your description of the reporting being not completely forthcoming.

I missed the reason why MV was chosen. Simply because it's a rich area that voted heavy D, or is it a beef with DeSantis and somebody from MV?

Personally, I think it's great they are thankful. Speaks to the quality of persons coming here and flies in the face of the fearmongering being sold a large portion of our electorate. It's rather obvious they are being treated much better where they landed than they would have been if they stayed in Texas. Of course if one digs deeper into the incident beyond the "ends justify the means" (and I don't think these people care much about that, but we certainly should) the "issues" with this approach should be something we all agree on, but here we are.

They will have to. Because 25 more of these flights are on the way.

“When we got on the plane, they told us they would give us jobs, a place to live, everything,” Dela Hoz said through a translator. “The whole group is pretty upset. But they did take us to a nice place.”

"I simply feel misled because they told a lie and it has come to nothing," Pedro Luis Torrelaba, 36, said Friday.

Is this little caveat what we're hanging our hat on? :lol:

Is this the Mother Jones talking points today? A serious take on the situation:

“Not even operating a leaf blower.” Could the Babylon Bee be any more tasteless and bigoted? And why would you link to this putrid attempt at satire? Do you really find it amusing?

So much craziness in this political stunt. Did it really cost 12 million to fly 50 immigrants to Martha's Vineyard? $240,000 per immigrant? 12 million was allocated but I can't imagine it was all spent on this one series of flights. Why would DeSantis send immigrants from Texas? Doesn't he have illegal immigrants in Florida? While many of the immigrants may have been deceived, this will likely work out much better for them than if it had not happened.

“Not even operating a leaf blower.” Could the Babylon Bee be any more tasteless and bigoted? And why would you link to this putrid attempt at satire? Do you really find it amusing?
Jokes are only funny when they're not making fun of my side!

If you're really that concerned about tasteless jokes, I would have seen you say something in one of the 60,000 Trump or 1/6 threads.

So much craziness in this political stunt. Did it really cost 12 million to fly 50 immigrants to Martha's Vineyard? $240,000 per immigrant? 12 million was allocated but I can't imagine it was all spent on this one series of flights. Why would DeSantis send immigrants from Texas? Doesn't he have illegal immigrants in Florida? While many of the immigrants may have been deceived, this will likely work out much better for them than if it had not happened.
It's been mentioned a couple times - the $12M is what Fl has set aside to perform these stunts flights of immigrants to other parts of the country. not that this individual flight cost $12M.

To your other question, I have 0 clue why Fla is getting involved in sending people from Tx to other parts of the country, unless they were supposed to be going to facilities in Fla.

Yep, this was my assuption as to what the reaction was going to be to this junk, not what para was hoping for. I am not a fan of this stuff either. I hate what DeSantis did, but I also hate the jumping to their actions being overtly racist and jumping up the rhetoric to kidnapping and abuse. It's enough that the action was dumb and ill-advised and the immigrants were used for photo ops and political points. Just politics in the US now, I guess.

I missed the reason why MV was chosen. Simply because it's a rich area that voted heavy D, or is it a beef with DeSantis and somebody from MV?
I’m sure it’s the first part. They got exposed hard here. Yes, the masses did help them, but it’s ironic that no big names helped, they just complained.

I’m sure it’s the first part. They got exposed hard here. Yes, the masses did help them, but it’s ironic that no big names helped, they just complained.
Yeah, we won't agree what or who got exposed here.

If we agree its the first part, then unless they specifically were talking about this or Desantis what got exposed more is the ignorant assumptions about the other "team" that is driving our country apart.

I mean of course all well off voters of Joe Biden believe X about immigration, right?

Why don’t you want a orderly legal immigration system? WE want one, YOU want a free-for-all.

Yeah, we won't agree what or who got exposed here.

If we agree its the first part, then unless they specifically were talking about this or Desantis what got exposed more is the ignorant assumptions about the other "team" that is driving our country apart.

I mean of course all well off voters of Joe Biden believe X about immigration, right?
The next group should go to Hollywood. The hypocrity of NIMBY totally applies. When our administration can’t make one trip to Texas to see firsthand, that is all we need to know.

What does this stand for/mean?
Not in my back yard. Basically allow the people in as long as they don’t have to deal with it.
Here's the problem I have with this thinking along with my point above about the assumption that all these people think the same about the topic: we can't honestly expect them to house people in their house, that's not realistic. So if the point is that either these areas have 0 support set up for immigrants or people who are down and out or they have them but aren't using them - I get that point more (still can be made without actually sending people there).
If the point is that these are just rich lib areas, so let's send them there regardless of the infrastructure involved there, then it's dumb.

And yes it sucks, but there are issues that are national issues that effect some states more than others- immigration is one. It's part of the dynamic of our country.

And yet the assertion that this was an overtly racist action because of some comparison to an 1858, yes 1858, event is totally relevant and a-ok to let slide by?

Somehow of those three articles the Babylon Bee one was the objectionable one? Effing hysterical.

Users who are viewing this thread