What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

***KC Chiefs(9-4) at LA Chargers(8-5)*** AFC West Showdown on Thursday Night Football (1 Viewer)

We spend three hours watching huge dudes grappling each other, Lilly is just a nice break from it in between.

Somehow people find something wrong with it.
I mean, there's a reason every sideline reporter is an attractive woman.  Find me one real dog of a lady in front of the camera who works for the NFL, just one.

Reddit is liberal, 4chan is conservative.

Also reddit has better browsing so when I'm trying to look up something for an obscure video game it's the best place to go.

I used to read the Linux threads there. But Arch Guy got annoying, so thus I don't anymore.

I do use Arch BTW, as well as Debian, Solus, MX Linux, Void, and Nix. Sometimes Pop OS, Slackware, anything but Ubuntu.

Last edited by a moderator:
The ultimate reason why the Chargers lost was they had way too many drives that went deep into the Chiefs territory were they came away with nothing. Once because of a fumble and 3 times because of coaches decisions. The Chargers were 1 for 4, on 4th downs. The call end the end of the half looks especially bad. 

If the Chargers were playing a different team, say the Raiders, they likely would have kicked field goals more often, Instead they played like riverboat gamblers all night and kept crapping out. There are times where you should go for it. The end of the half was not one of those times. Neither was 4th and 2 from the 27 in the 3rd quarter. In both of those instances the Chargers played different than than normally would just because they were playing the Chiefs. 

I used to read the Linux threads there. But Arch Guy got annoying, so thus I don't anymore.

I do use Arch BTW, as well as Debian, Solus, MX Linux, Void, and Nix. Sometimes Pop OS, Slackware, anything but Ubuntu.
I'm a total pleb who hasn't used anything but from the box windows and android my whole life (hate Apple).  Already aware I've sold my soul to Microsoft and Google so no reason to change now.

I'm a total pleb who hasn't used anything but from the box windows and android my whole life (hate Apple).  Already aware I've sold my soul to Microsoft and Google so no reason to change now.

I only use MacOS and Linux. Linux mostly at home. I can shrink my OS and tailor it to what I want. I know where everything is, and what it does, all the way to the kernel, which I can tweak.

Teams try too hard when they play the Chiefs. They do dumb things like not kicking FG's and going for it on 4th down continually. IF the Chargers had just kicked the FG at the end of the half they probably win. 
just wanted to comment on this...cause I hate this ####....teams used to get roasted for not being more aggressive against the Chiefs...and it was a "recipe for losing"....taking FG instead of trying to score TD's...now when they are aggressive they get slammed for it too....which is it....I get it there might be a happy medium maybe somewhere in there....but when you are game planning against the Chiefs and in the heat of the moment, you just have to make the call....making a blanket statement like above doesn't really do it justice....

just wanted to comment on this...cause I hate this ####....teams used to get roasted for not being more aggressive against the Chiefs...and it was a "recipe for losing"....taking FG instead of trying to score TD's...now when they are aggressive they get slammed for it too....which is it....I get it there might be a happy medium maybe somewhere in there....but when you are game planning against the Chiefs and in the heat of the moment, you just have to make the call....making a blanket statement like above doesn't really do it justice....

The thing is they were continually get stuffed and stopped on short yardages situations. I really don't think the Chiefs are a vastly better team than the Chargers. But the Chargers kept gambling like they thought they were the inferior team. Going for it from the 5 yard line on the opening drive? Very questionable. Going for at the end of the half instead of going up 7, very questionable. Going for it on 4 and 2 from the 27 in the 3rd quarter, knowing you have failed on short yardage plays all night. Very questionable. 

The Chiefs on the other hand kicked a field goal down 14-10 on a  4and 7 from the 11. That was  the difference in the game. The Chiefs played it straight and the Chargers played it risky and lost because of it. If the Chargers play it straight they win.

lets be honest....the Chiefs of three years ago or so started this whole....we need to go for it on 4th down and we need to get TD's instead of FG's thing....then it morphed a little after that until we are at a point when teams are going for it on 4th down in their own territory and ####....the LAC coach rode that wave for awhile as one of the first to do it....everybody was up on his nuts...then it catches up to you when you dont convert....and you get caught....

IMO its almost getting to the point where you are sending a message to your team that I don't think you can beat these guys straight up.......so we have to do some weird ####....and there is some pressure in that message....

I can see his point in the respect that opposing teams respect how explosive the KC offense is with Mahomes at quarterback. It's exponentially more dynamic than when Alex Smith was behind center. When facing an aggressive team, you have to match it with even more aggression.

The thing is, being aggressive only works when it works, because when it doesn't, it can work against you. Usually in turnovers, and 3rd down conversions. This game was different due to how many attempts were made trying to convert 4th downs, as those are rarely attempted, only by aggressive coaches like John Harbaugh, Kyle Shanahan and such. The "Riverboat Gambler" coaches. When it works, they are geniuses. When it doesn't , they are called out for it.

you dont know that....you just dont...sorry

I know for sure they left 6 points on the field. Why go for it from the 5 on the opening drive? No analytics in the world say that is the right move. The end of the half was even worse because in that circumstance you do not even pin the Chiefs deep if you fail because it was the last play of the half.

IMO its almost getting to the point where you are sending a message to your team that I don't think you can beat these guys straight up.......so we have to do some weird ####....and there is some pressure in that message....

I think it's more situational than that. They practice for situations like this. And good teams practice defending situations like this. I think it's the opposite of what you're pointing out because they are basically challenging an opponent on a certain situation, and challenging the team to execute that situation means you have the confidence in the team to execute it with success. You've prepared them already for it. It's in the game plan.

lets be honest....the Chiefs of two years ago started this whole....we need to go for it on 4th down and we need to get TD's instead of FG's thing....then it morphed a little after that until we are at a point when teams are going for it on 4th down in their own territory and ####....the LAC coach rode that wave for awhile as one of the first to do it....everybody was up on his nuts...then it catches up to you when you dont convert....and you get caught....

Could not disagree more.  On almost everything.

While a few of the decisions tonight involving longer than "short" yardage are debatable, your overall premise of playing it conservative stinks like a bad ref.

the mystique of Mahomes at 26 years old has changed the game.....even when teams aren't playing the chiefs they are thinking about playing the chiefs....and changing the way they call/manage games....

4th down has become a different down because of Reid/Mahomes.......

IMO its almost getting to the point where you are sending a message to your team that I don't think you can beat these guys straight up.......so we have to do some weird ####....and there is some pressure in that message..
I think this is absolutely the subtext when HC get a little reckless. It’s like “Yo man you don’t trust us, do ya?” And it seeps into their thinking. “We’re not as good as those guys so we have play mistake free.”

When you start thinking about not messing up, that’s when you mess up. When you’re confident you don’t think, you’re in the flow.

the mystique of Mahomes at 26 years old has changed the game.....even when teams aren't playing the chiefs they are thinking about playing the chiefs....and changing the way they call/manage games....

4th down has become a different down because of Reid/Mahomes.......

Analytics

I know for sure they left 6 points on the field. Why go for it from the 5 on the opening drive? No analytics in the world say that is the right move. The end of the half was even worse because in that circumstance you do not even pin the Chiefs deep if you fail because it was the last play of the half.
you and I and the rest of the football world that gives a #### know that after that KO return and getting that close to the goal line and punching it in would have been a almost early game changing kind of moment.....analytics be damned....that was a huge turn....

While a few of the decisions tonight involving longer than "short" yardage are debatable, your overall premise of playing it conservative stinks like a bad ref.

No analytics in the world say it is the right move to go for it from the 5 yard line early in the 1st quarter.  That is pure gambling against the odds.

typical response when you don't want to admit somebody else might have made a good point...."almost" as a backpedal safeguard protecting you from not committing to anything...followed quickly by a diversion into personal attacks....solid play... they should check with you on 4th down decisions...you have it all covered no matter how it plays out...

laughing emoji

I just took a peek at the Politics Forum, and yeah (and I don't say this that often because Joe and I and reasons), I think Joe did the right thing by taking away a trigger point with a simple emoji lulz.

And all I had to do was look at the topic headers. Especially the one at the very top.

I get timeouts because I trigger 49er fans, that place is way too thin of ice to skate on.

I just took a peek at the Politics Forum, and yeah (and I don't say this that often because Joe and I and reasons), I think Joe did the right thing by taking away a trigger point with a simple emoji lulz.

And all I had to do was look at the topic headers. Especially the one at the very top.

I get timeouts because I trigger 49er fans, that place is way too thin of ice to skate on.
I haven’t been back since the week after the election. I joked the only way he’s getting to 270 is if he loses 50 pounds. Got 50 or 60 days off (I forget.) First time offender. #truestorybro

Unflicking real. Immodestly, I’m the least troublesome member here. Never, ever get into it with anyone. Don’t insult or belittle or call people names. Help people all the time in TSP and active in FFA threads. Two months for what is actually a pretty damn good joke?

Been a year, I should maybe think about letting it go eh.

:lmao:

I haven’t been back since the week after the election. I joked the only way he’s getting to 270 is if he loses 50 pounds. Got 50 or 60 days off (I forget.) First time offender. #truestorybro

Unflicking real. Immodestly, I’m the least troublesome member here. Never, ever get into it with anyone. Don’t insult or belittle or call people names. Help people all the time in TSP and active in FFA threads. Two months for what is actually a pretty damn good joke?

Been a year, I should maybe think about letting it go eh.

:lmao:

They have a 273 page thread over a member of congress in her second term. Imagine arguing over a woman who wouldn't date any of them. It's a dystopia of the lonely!

typical response when you don't want to admit somebody else might have made a good point...."almost" as a backpedal safeguard protecting you from not committing to anything...followed quickly by a diversion into personal attacks....solid play... they should check with you on 4th down decisions...you have it all covered no matter how it plays out...

Coaching scared is like ref'ing scared.  It's why most never make it to that next level.  Or the one after that.  And so on.

They have a 273 page thread over a member of congress in her second term. Imagine arguing over a woman who wouldn't date any of them. It's a dystopia of the lonely!
She’s not my Congresswoman but in her first term she came into a billiards 🎱 hall with her bf and another couple. We were having a goodbye party for a colleague and I don’t think most realized who she was. Anyway, IDC what perceptions of her are. Seemed like the most normal and humble chick you’d see around.

I have totally disengaged from following any politics since the short fingered Vulgarian vacated.

Coaching scared is like ref'ing scared.  It's why most never make it to that next level.  Or the one after that.  And so on.

I would say going for it on 4th and Goal from the 5  in a scoreless game is playing scared. You are scared your defense can't stop the other offense.

She’s not my Congresswoman but in her first term she came into a billiards 🎱 hall with her bf and another couple. We were having a goodbye party for a colleague and I don’t think most realized who she was. Anyway, IDC what perceptions of her are. Seemed like the most normal and humble chick you’d see around.

I have totally disengaged from following any politics since the short fingered Vulgarian vacated.

My local congressman is a cool dude, he endorsed a friend of mine when she ran for a local city council seat. He's a chair of a committee caucus too. The thing I like most about him: he works for our district, not try to push his own agenda nationally. He is a physician who informed us through a pandemic, he's moderate, and his district is diverse economically and socially. Our district has conservative LBGTQ business people who are Republican. They understand a diverse economy is a robust economy. Personally, I don't believe in left or right politics as they don't really exist anymore. I just know that fringe politics never work, I have seen San Francisco politics struggle with them, only to find out San Francisco knows one thing true to politics: politics are all about the dollars, and there is nothing wrong with that. As long as you can pursue freedom with your talent and hard work, anything is possible. People should be able to create their own destiny. People should be encouraged to innovate themselves. People should be able to walk their own chosen path. But most of all, people should hold themselves to a higher standard, and not lower themselves to a resentment of others. It doesn't allow your own path to freedom and autonomy.

San Francisco has always been a beacon of that. It's now mired in a dystopia of other people's ideals. Who aren't even from California. California's economic output rivals the whole of Europe alone. But it doesn't mean we can't do better, say like get a better quarterback than Jimmy Garoppolo. Because I can only believe in so much, and all the serious analytics will still not grant him an arm who can chuck the ball downfield because even though he has a 27 million dollar smoochy face, the money should be in his arm instead. Which he doesn't have. Unless he becomes Lee Majors all of the sudden.

Look at George Kittle. He has the body of Adonis, but that face. He's like an overgrown Jeff Garcia. Who married a Playmate of the Year, but still. If it weren't for Kittle, Garoppolo is even uglier than Terry Bradshaw.

Users who are viewing this thread