What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kellen Winslow had a staph infection. (1 Viewer)

top dog

Footballguy
From Rotoworld..

Kellen Winslow revealed Sunday night that he was sidelined in Week 6 by a staph infection.

Winslow said he felt like a "piece of meat" when GM Phil Savage didn't call him in the hospital. "There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," K2 said. "Just look at the history around here." The Browns have had seven known players fall victim to staph infections in the past four seasons. Winslow added that he considered requesting a trade before the Oct. 14 deadline. This sounds like it came out of frustration after a loss. Winslow saw 10 targets in the game and looks plenty healthy. Oct. 19 - 9:42 pm etSource: Cleveland Plain Dealer
Can't believe they had ANOTHER staph infection there.. I'd move the training facility!

More from the linked article..

There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," said Winslow. "Just look at the history around here." It was the second staph infection suffered by Winslow since 2005 and the sixth by a key player since 2005. It was the seventh known staph infection in the past four years. Others include former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, receiver Joe Jurevicius, receiver Braylon Edwards, former safety Brian Russell and former linebacker Ben Taylor. Bentley's career might be over because of the staph and Jurevicius is still battling to recover from the infection. There's a good chance he'll be placed on injured reserve in the next couple of weeks. "A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me. "I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."

There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," said Winslow. "Just look at the history around here." It was the second staph infection suffered by Winslow since 2005 and the sixth by a key player since 2005. It was the seventh known staph infection in the past four years. Others include former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, receiver Joe Jurevicius, receiver Braylon Edwards, former safety Brian Russell and former linebacker Ben Taylor.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Bentley's career might be over because of the staph and Jurevicius is still battling to recover from the infection. There's a good chance he'll be placed on injured reserve in the next couple of weeks.

"A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me.

"I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."
Gawd, he's a whiny tool. I would have had no problem if they had traded him for decent value. His act is extremely stale.

So would it be safe for us to assume that most of the Cleveland training/medical staff got their degrees at Hollywood Upstairs Medical College now?

"Hi, Dr. Nick!!"

Or maybe the whirlpool in the trainer's room is a non-filtered, direct feed straight from the Cuyahoga?

Is it possible that the Browns have a Steelers fan working on the training staff? Or perhaps the janitorial staff? That's what I call a staff infection.

Yes, I know that was really lame.

There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," said Winslow. "Just look at the history around here." It was the second staph infection suffered by Winslow since 2005 and the sixth by a key player since 2005. It was the seventh known staph infection in the past four years. Others include former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, receiver Joe Jurevicius, receiver Braylon Edwards, former safety Brian Russell and former linebacker Ben Taylor.

<a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Bentley's career might be over because of the staph and Jurevicius is still battling to recover from the infection. There's a good chance he'll be placed on injured reserve in the next couple of weeks.

"A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me.

"I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."
Gawd, he's a whiny tool. I would have had no problem if they had traded him for decent value. His act is extremely stale.
I agree. He's a prima donna.

At least they seemed to catch this in time, no? On a useless tidbit note, I might package him off with another player to upgrade at RB2 to cover for Bush.

Did he see 10 targets this week and not get a catch?

At least they seemed to catch this in time, no? On a useless tidbit note, I might package him off with another player to upgrade at RB2 to cover for Bush. Did he see 10 targets this week and not get a catch?
"Target" is a pretty loose term. DA threw it in his general direction, but he had 0 hope of catching most of them.

There's obviously a problem and we have to fix it," said Winslow. "Just look at the history around here." It was the second staph infection suffered by Winslow since 2005 and the sixth by a key player since 2005. It was the seventh known staph infection in the past four years. Others include former Browns center LeCharles Bentley, receiver Joe Jurevicius, receiver Braylon Edwards, former safety Brian Russell and former linebacker Ben Taylor. <a href="http://" target="_blank"></a>Bentley's career might be over because of the staph and Jurevicius is still battling to recover from the infection. There's a good chance he'll be placed on injured reserve in the next couple of weeks. "A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me. "I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."
Gee, I thought he said, the other day, he wasn't going to discuss his "undisclosed illness" and that the Browns' organization made that decision and he was definitely in accord with them. He also said he was a football player paid to catch passes and that questions about his condition were intrusive.Now, he's upset with, supposedly, the guy who wanted the illness kept under wraps. Could be Kellen was disgruntled with how he was used in the game or maybe that his team lost. But this is an "about face" from the formerly tight-lipped soldier about his stance on his problem. What happened to the notion that "talking football" was justifiably Winslow's priority the other day and that posters on this board who persisted (excuse me----hammered) on this topic were out of bounds?

Last edited by a moderator:

Pretty bad coming from a guy that missed a whole season for his own stupidity and the Browns reworked the deal to let him keep most of his money. He never seems to mention that fact when talking about the Browns.

FWIW the MRSA staph infections are reaching epidemic proportions, kinda silently. My gf (who is a doctor says the #' s of these are steadily growing ina ll walks of life. That 7 browns have gotten them may say more about Cleveland, than about the Browns training facilty)

The Great MRSA Epidemic: Is It Time to Worry?While Studies Keep Drug-Resistant Bug Fears Alive, Some Say Worries May Outweigh RiskBy DAN CHILDSABC News Medical UnitJan. 23, 2008—Flesh-eating bacteria. A drug-resistant menace, spreading silently through hospital hallways.If one were asked to come up with a recipe for a panic-inducing disease, it would be hard to come up with something more horrifying than methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus -- or MRSA.But even as new research suggests that the disease may be spreading though the homosexual community -- and could even be developing into a full-blown epidemic -- health experts studying MRSA say panic over the disease may be premature.Just ask Dr. Daniel Pallin, director of clinical research in the department of emergency medicine at Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston.Pallin led a team of investigators to track the rise in the number of infections from drug-resistant staph germs between 1993 and 2005 using government-provided data. Their mission: to determine whether we have an epidemic on our hands."In simple terms, the answer is yes," Pallin says. "The number of emergency room visits for these skin infections increased by about triple."Specifically, Pallin and his colleagues discovered that visits to emergency departments due to MRSA rose from 1.2 million in 1993 to 3.4 million in 2005. Community-acquired MRSA infections have become the No. 1 cause of abscesses in otherwise healthy emergency room patients.But Pallin, whose study will appear in the upcoming issue of the journal Annals of Emergency Medicine, says that despite the confirmation that a MRSA epidemic is in full swing, the disease does not pose the level of disaster that the use of the term might suggest."This suggests to us that this actually is an epidemic, though it is an epidemic of a minor disease, and we don't want to create hysteria," he says. "I would say that people should be concerned but maybe not afraid or worried. But a certain level of concern is appropriate."According to the study, the overall percentage of all emergency room patients who had MRSA skin infections rose from 1.35 percent in 1993 to 2.98 percent in 2005. And researchers found that of these cases, only 14 percent required admission to the hospital. Many cases did not even require treatment with antibiotics.From Hospitals to Homosexuals, Worries SpreadBut some say MRSA fears are spreading faster than the disease itself. Joel Ginsberg, executive director of the Gay and Lesbian Medical Association, says a different piece of research released last week may have been twisted to foster a wave of homophobia.In a study released by the Annals of Internal Medicine Jan. 14, researchers at the University of California at San Francisco looked at populations of men in both hospitals and a clinic for HIV-positive patients. What they found was that men who had sex with men were 13 times more likely to get a certain form of MRSA.Immediately, news organizations reported that the infection was passed through gay sex -- even though no hard evidence of such a route of transmission existed. One U.K. paper labeled the strain as "the new HIV.""It seemed like there was some impulse to go straight to the most salacious way of talking about this issue," Ginsberg says. "We've seen that so much with issues affecting gay men's health. It strikes a nerve."In particular, Ginsberg cites a comment last week by one of the study's lead researchers to Reuters reporters that may have been used by anti-gay groups in a barrage of what he characterizes as stereotypes and misinformation."Once this reaches the general population, it will be truly unstoppable," researcher Binh Diep was quoted as saying Jan. 14. He also suggested that the germ may be spread through sexual activity -- a statement that, as noted in the discussion section of the paper, was not directly supported by the study's findings.Diep has since said that his statements were mischaracterized. But some groups have already pointed to this notion as proof that gay sex facilitates MRSA's spread. One of these groups is Concerned Women for America."The medical community has known for years that homosexual conduct, especially among males, creates a breeding ground for often deadly disease," said Matt Barber, policy director for cultural issues at the CWA, in a statement issued over the weekend. "When two men mimic the act of heterosexual intercourse with one another, they create an environment, a biological counterfeit, wherein disease can thrive."But Ginsberg says messages like the one conveyed by the CWA may give the public the wrong idea about the disease."The stereotype about gay men is that they are very promiscuous and are vectors for disease," he says. "We know that there are hate groups eager for any confirmation of their prejudices, and that they will seize upon anything they can to make the point that gay people are fundamentally sick."It's unfortunate that good quality research out of a respectable institution could become fodder for these hate groups."Ginsberg says the CWA episode is reminiscent of diseases that, in the past, have been labeled "gay diseases." In the 1980s, AIDS was largely thought to be a disease that was spread primarily through gay sex.And in 1976, a group of proctologists in New York City coined the term "gay bowel syndrome" to describe an illness that comprised hemorrhoids, anal fissures and other conditions of the lower intestine. The "disease" was later criticized as a collection of unrelated maladies, none of which were exclusively experienced by homosexual male patients.Possible Behavioral CausesStill, the question remains: Why was this strain seemingly more prevalent in the gay communities the researchers studied? The authors of the UCSF study speculated in their discussion that certain behaviors could be at play."It is not clear whether the behavior potentiating these infections among men who have sex with men is anal sex & skin-abrading sexual practices or increased frequency of skin-to-skin contact; prevention messages may therefore need to suggest caution in each of these practices," the UCSF researchers wrote.But confirmation of a link between such practices and the spread of the disease remain tenuous at best, as noted in a Jan. 16 press release from the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention."MRSA is typically transmitted through skin-to-skin contact, which occurs during a variety of activities, including sex," the statement reads. "There is no evidence at this time to suggest that MRSA is a sexually transmitted infection in the classical sense."Beating an Epidemic -- With Common SenseIn the face of the concerns over MRSA, what is the appropriate course of action? While mention of the word "epidemic" may have some people shopping for protective suits and stocking up the bomb shelter larders, Pallin offers a different suggestion."It's really a question of simple hygiene," he says. "People should keep their hands clean, keep their bodies clean, and if they notice any skin infection, see their doctor within a couple of days."Pallin adds that it is also important for people to realize that MRSA can be acquired in the gym and around the home -- not just in hospitals. And he notes that even if a person suspects that he or she is infected with MRSA, such an infection is far from a death sentence."The majority of these conditions are skin abscesses or other conditions that are unlikely to be fatal," Pallin says. "These are really rare cases, and they make it into the news because it's alarming and it makes good press."He estimates that less than 1 percent of the cases of MRSA that show up at emergency rooms are potentially fatal -- though he says the medical community still has an obligation to do whatever is possible to limit the spread of the disease."The most important thing the medical community has to do is to develop and maintain hygienic protocols," he notes. "That prevents staff workers at hospitals from transmitting it from one person to another."Also, doctors need to be judicious with their prescription of antibiotics. If doctors are using antibiotics when they are not necessary, then you have the chance of having the appearance of resistant types."Along with these measures, Pallin says, the best prescription is likely a deep breath and a moment of calm."We don't want people to think this infection is going to be immediately fatal," he says. "Most doctors are comfortable in dealing with this infection. There is no need for a midnight ambulance ride with you see a red spot on your skin in most cases."Copyright © 2008 ABC News Internet Ventures

And the season continues to spin out of control for the Browns.

This is crazy. I know staph is on the rise these days, but come on. I don't know what the team is supposed to do. We went in and sterilized the entire facility. There's not much we can do other than move the entire place?

Regarding K2 speaking up- bad timing. On one hand I think he's angling for a new contract and this is a totally **** way of going about it. On the other hand he's maybe the best offensive player we have and he plays his heart out. I can understand that if what he's saying is true (Browns tried to hide his staph) that he would be pissed. The front office's job in a large part is to keep our top 3-5 players happy. If K2 is upset then they need to deal with it.

But honestly dude, this is not the time nor the place to be dragging the front office's name through the mud.

And the season continues to spin out of control for the Browns.Regarding K2 speaking up- bad timing. On one hand I think he's angling for a new contract and this is a totally **** way of going about it. On the other hand he's maybe the best offensive player we have and he plays his heart out. I can understand that if what he's saying is true (Browns tried to hide his staph) that he would be pissed. The front office's job in a large part is to keep our top 3-5 players happy. If K2 is upset then they need to deal with it.But honestly dude, this is not the time nor the place to be dragging the front office's name through the mud.
He stands out in a me-first environment, throwing his hands up in the air and having a tantrum whenever the ball is either poorly thrown or not going to him. I'd hate to be his QB.

He needs to try making it through a season before he goes whining about "giving his all" and all that other crap he spouted. Basically, he just needs to ####.

More from the linked article.. "A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me. "I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."
:goodposting: :cry: :cry: Get over it you big baby! What a whiny ####### toolbag. :cry: :cry: :cry:

This is no Joke... MRSA is a serious disease; I do not blame anyone who would refuse to go into that building w/ its history now.

A bad case of MRSA could sideline a player for a yr... once u have it, its almost impossible to get rid of.

My Wife has been battling it for 2 yrs since her C-Section... its afwul.

I'm not here to talk trash or make jokes, Staph is serious.

I'm honestly just flabbergasted that this is still an ongoing problem with Cleveland's facilities.

I'm not here to talk trash or make jokes, Staph is serious. I'm honestly just flabbergasted that this is still an ongoing problem with Cleveland's facilities.
Agree. Staph is a really bad one and to see this happen again with the Browns players really won't do a lot for team morale as a whole. I can understand if KW2 is scared ####less by the possiblity that this, or a later recurrence, could end his career and even endanger his life. He's looking for support from the Browns front office. Whether or not this is true, he could be justified in saying that the front office didn't lend a hand out to him. On the other hand, all the other Browns are in the same boat. He's got to play with the team, and to cut and run -- and let other Browns players deal with future staph infections -- says a lot about his own selfishness. He's always a gasket waiting to blow.

I'm not here to talk trash or make jokes, Staph is serious. I'm honestly just flabbergasted that this is still an ongoing problem with Cleveland's facilities.
I got a staph infection in my knee from a scrape... It was the most pain I have ever felt.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3652303

For the legal minds out there, Winslow just did the football equivalent of turning state's evidence. He'll be perceived either as a hero or a disruptive rat. Based on the board sentiment so far, rat seems to be winning.

Has the team made any official statement yet about these comments? Does anyone have anything from Phil Savage yet?

Agree. Staph is a really bad one and to see this happen again with the Browns players really won't do a lot for team morale as a whole. I can understand if KW2 is scared ####less by the possiblity that this, or a later recurrence, could end his career and even endanger his life. He's looking for support from the Browns front office. Whether or not this is true, he could be justified in saying that the front office didn't lend a hand out to him. On the other hand, all the other Browns are in the same boat. He's got to play with the team, and to cut and run -- and let other Browns players deal with future staph infections -- says a lot about his own selfishness. He's always a gasket waiting to blow.
Football is a business. No one is going to pay Winslow if his health is destroyed by reoccurring staph infections. Right now, the Browns will have a hard time attracting future free agents and Winslow's own future fa payday prospects will also be diminished. He has every right to complain. I will say the the Browns were more then fair with him regarding his motorcycle accident and they probably feel he should return the favor regarding the Staph issue.

More from the linked article.. "A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I never heard from the man upstairs -- Phil Savage -- and that really disappoints me. "I feel I've done a lot for this team, played through a lot of pain and given it my all. I just thought I deserved a little better than that."
:thumbdown: :rolleyes: :cry: Get over it you big baby! What a whiny ####### toolbag. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think Winslow's disappointment in not hearing from Savage is understandable. A staph infection is very serious, and I think it's lame that Savage didn't express any concern or exhibit any support to Winslow. I think a General Manager should show he is concerned about the welfare of his player, and be concerned over the fact that staph infections are not isolated happenings there at their facility.

:rolleyes: :cry: :cry: Get over it you big baby! What a whiny ####### toolbag. :cry: :cry: :cry:
I think Winslow's disappointment in not hearing from Savage is understandable. A staph infection is very serious, and I think it's lame that Savage didn't express any concern or exhibit any support to Winslow. I think a General Manager should show he is concerned about the welfare of his player, and be concerned over the fact that staph infections are not isolated happenings there at their facility.
I'm sure Savage was concerned. But make no mistake, Winslow's outburst was not about the way Savage handled the situation, it was about :( , period.

rumor is that it was an infected tatoo. that might explain why he didn't get much sympathy from Savage.

There's speculation he may be suspended for running his mouth.
No flippin' way. Jeez, you'd think keeping three stinkin' TEs on your roster would be unnecessary. But with Winslow and Shockey being consistently infected, rejected, and defected, I can only hope that John Carlson keeps his act together.

Kellen Winslow revealed on Sunday that his undisclosed illness was another staph infection. ""A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel, and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I heard from my teammates. But I never heard from the main man - Phil Savage - and that really disappoints me. Sometimes I don't even feel a part of this team."

Statements like this make me sick. Winslow continues to make idiotic comment after idiotic comment. I could not imagine being mad at my boss because he didn't stop by the hospital to see me or give me a call. He is my boss....not my Momma or best friend. Winslow continues to think the world does and should continue to revolve around him.

Kellen Winslow revealed on Sunday that his undisclosed illness was another staph infection. ""A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel, and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I heard from my teammates. But I never heard from the main man - Phil Savage - and that really disappoints me. Sometimes I don't even feel a part of this team." Statements like this make me sick. Winslow continues to make idiotic comment after idiotic comment. I could not imagine being mad at my boss because he didn't stop by the hospital to see me or give me a call. He is my boss....not my Momma or best friend. Winslow continues to think the world does and should continue to revolve around him.
Imagine that you got a staph infection at work because of something your boss asked you to do. You don't expect your boss would be sensitive enough to ask you if you're ok? You must have a pretty crappy boss. A good boss always looks after his/her employees.Disclaimer: I don't have one lick of sympathy for Winslow regarding his general behavior and could care less about his NFL career.

Kellen Winslow revealed on Sunday that his undisclosed illness was another staph infection. ""A big reason I'm upset right now has to do with [the staph infection]," said Winslow. "I heard from Romeo Crennel, and I heard from my position coach [Alfredo Roberts] when I was in the Clinic. I heard from my teammates. But I never heard from the main man - Phil Savage - and that really disappoints me. Sometimes I don't even feel a part of this team." Statements like this make me sick. Winslow continues to make idiotic comment after idiotic comment. I could not imagine being mad at my boss because he didn't stop by the hospital to see me or give me a call. He is my boss....not my Momma or best friend. Winslow continues to think the world does and should continue to revolve around him.
Imagine that you got a staph infection at work because of something your boss asked you to do. You don't expect your boss would be sensitive enough to ask you if you're ok? You must have a pretty crappy boss. A good boss always looks after his/her employees.Disclaimer: I don't have one lick of sympathy for Winslow regarding his general behavior and could care less about his NFL career.
imagine the reason he got the infection may have been his own fault and it caused him to miss almost two weeks worth of work, and you could see why the boss might not be all that sympathetic.further imagine he then shows up for work, performs poorly and then does an interview with the local paper demanding a raise.if any normal guy did this at their job, (especially during the busiest season of the year), i imagine they would be almost immediately fired.

amnesiac said:
imagine the reason he got the infection may have been his own fault and it caused him to miss almost two weeks worth of work, and you could see why the boss might not be all that sympathetic.further imagine he then shows up for work, performs poorly and then does an interview with the local paper demanding a raise.if any normal guy did this at their job, (especially during the busiest season of the year), i imagine they would be almost immediately fired.
:thumbup: Winslow is a fine player. But he is a source of dissonance at a time when the team needs unity. Crennel gets a lot of heat, but while Browns' fans may not agree, the coach is doing his best to keep that team together and keep them in games. A 3 point loss to Washington and 4 point loss to Pgh are nothing to be embarrassed about. I'd like to see what Crennel's record would be with the Cowboys' talent. Somehow I don't think they'd be blown out by the Rams or upset by Arizona.

Users who are viewing this thread