What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kellen Winslow Suspended (1 Viewer)

shims3

Footballguy
PFT reports that KW2 has been suspended for a game.

BROWNS SUSPEND KELLEN WINSLOWPosted by Michael David Smith on October 21, 2008, 6:00 p.m.The Cleveland Browns have announced the suspension of Kellen Winslow.GM Phil Savage released a statement saying:“The Cleveland Browns are committed to winning and taking care of our players. We are also committed to protecting the privacy of our players, particularly with regard to medical issues. To that end, following discussions with Kellen Winslow and his representation, the Browns agreed to make every effort to maintain the confidentiality of his recent medical condition.“As an organization, we have worked hard to ensure the safety and well-being of our players. Consistent with this effort, we have consulted the team’s medical experts to ensure that any instances of staph infections are evaluated and treated thoroughly and expeditiously, and in accordance with the recommended standard of care. Further, steps have been and continue to be taken on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis to protect our players and personnel at our training facility and stadium.

so the guy gets a staph infection after being treated by an organization which has a history of players who suffer from Staph Infections and he calls them out and then gets suspended?

this just makes the whole issue with the outbreak of staph infections more wacky

list all the other teams that have had numerous players with staph infections, right here please:

so the guy gets a staph infection after being treated by an organization which has a history of players who suffer from Staph Infections and he calls them out and then gets suspended?
i would agree except that this infection may have been Winslow's own fault.

this just makes the whole issue with the outbreak of staph infections more wacky

list all the other teams that have had numerous players with staph infections, right here please:

St. Louis Rams

San Francisco 49ers

It's possible, but the team has a pretty shoddy record here, so I dunno if I'd take their side on this with their horrible history.

Man, has this been the "season of suspensions" or what?? Seems like more team suspensions than league suspensions too...........crazy. :lmao:

It's possible, but the team has a pretty shoddy record here, so I dunno if I'd take their side on this with their horrible history.
the rumor is that he had an infected tatoo. if true, i don't think he has much to stand on with this one.

As a brownnie I am glad he is going to be gone! I am surprised he lasted this long.

The writeing was on the wall when we traded up for Rucker in draft this year. He would already be gone if Rucker wasn;t injured!

His mouth pissed off the DAWG POUND right off! He did apolagise and amends were made but then the motocycle accident. Now this.

He won't be missed. Some one else can have his non blocking NUSIANCE mouth!

WE DONT WANT HIM IN CLEVELAND!

the rumor is that he had an infected tatoo. if true, i don't think he has much to stand on with this one.
There was also a rumor that Winslow had swollen balls. It's hard to blame Winslow for his staph infection when Cleveland has had numerous staph infections in the past couple years.

As a brownnie I am glad he is going to be gone! I am surprised he lasted this long.The writeing was on the wall when we traded up for Rucker in draft this year. He would already be gone if Rucker wasn;t injured!His mouth pissed off the DAWG POUND right off! He did apolagise and amends were made but then the motocycle accident. Now this. He won't be missed. Some one else can have his non blocking NUSIANCE mouth! WE DONT WANT HIM IN CLEVELAND!
Speak for your self!! :confused: He is the most athletic and talented player on that roster. He will be greatly missed when he decides to leave. Sure he may be immature, erogant, etc.... but there is no doubting his talent.

As a brownnie I am glad he is going to be gone! I am surprised he lasted this long.The writeing was on the wall when we traded up for Rucker in draft this year. He would already be gone if Rucker wasn;t injured!His mouth pissed off the DAWG POUND right off! He did apolagise and amends were made but then the motocycle accident. Now this. He won't be missed. Some one else can have his non blocking NUSIANCE mouth! WE DONT WANT HIM IN CLEVELAND!
Speak for your self!! :no: He is the most athletic and talented player on that roster. He will be greatly missed when he decides to leave. Sure he may be immature, erogant, etc.... but there is no doubting his talent.
Never questioned his talent! Talent vs team chemisty sometimes is better off to part. Just see DALLASfor example. And I am speaking for a lot more then myself. Trist me on that one! Browns will be a much better team without him! As proven against Giants just a little over a week ago!

There was also a rumor that Winslow had swollen balls. It's hard to blame Winslow for his staph infection when Cleveland has had numerous staph infections in the past couple years.
How, exactly, is it hard to blame Winslow when it's his own fault?

Speak for your self!! :no: He is the most athletic and talented player on that roster. He will be greatly missed when he decides to leave. Sure he may be immature, erogant, etc.... but there is no doubting his talent.
Never questioned his talent! Talent vs team chemisty sometimes is better off to part. Just see DALLASfor example. And I am speaking for a lot more then myself. Trist me on that one! Browns will be a much better team without him! As proven against Giants just a little over a week ago!
So it's TO's fault with Dallas' problems? It's Kellens' fault for the Browns struggles? I'm from NE Ohio, I hear what's going on. I bet there is alot more people wanting him here than want him gone. As to the Giants game, so Kellen not playing was the "reason" the Browns played the way they did? The problem is NOT Winslow, it is the pathetic coaching staff and the play of DA.

Preface: I do not own KW II in any leagues at all...

This is complete and utter HORSESPIT that Winslow got suspended. Phil Savage should be fired immediately by the owner for pulling this crap. This is a guy that just doesn't get it on any level. This was a team that was on the verge of becoming special but now I can see the Cleveland cycle starting all over again. Savage should have come out, and stated how committed he was to taking care of KW II and the entire team, that they would scrub the place down 8 times a day if need be, that he would personally oversee any injured players and make sure they get the proper medical treatment because Cleveland is a fantastic organization committed to not only winning but ensuring the safety and health of all their players. He should have grabbed Winslow, brought himk in his office, made him feel special even if he didn't want to and do what was best for his team.

Instead this motherless goat that smells of some wicked rotting chicken skinsnbones decides to let his NFL size EGO get in the way and decides to take the cowardly way out and suspend one of his best players and someone the organization should realize they need in order to win. not sure what happened in that rattle sounding brain of this turdmonster but he is completely wrong and has done nothing except alienate the fans of Cleveland and i hope the Dawg Pound has large signs calling for Savage's head in Sunday's football game. This is not the Pats, Giants, or Steelers that has such a winning rich tradition that you can suspend anyone without reason...this is the Brownies, and they took a large step backwards today.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe he got the tattoo on his balls?

The Browns players arent getting staph infections from the Browns facilities, they are probably cleanest in the NFL, they are getting them from the Cleveland Clinic. If there is anyone to blame it should be them.

Hospitals are not clean places. Im sure there are reasons for Savage not wanting to call out the CC publicly.

Winslow should have kept his mouth shut. Who knows how much of the truth he is telling anyway.

This is all about K2 wanting more money, period. He hinted at holding out in the offseason and now he says he thought about asking for a trade, why, to get a new contract/ signing bonus.

K2's knees are bad, REALLY BAD. The dude can barely walk off the field let alone walk up a flight of stairs. He has no more than 2 1/2 years left of playing football for a living and he might be done after next season. He wants a big fat signing bonus to set himself up for life after football and frankly I cant blame him. I just diagree with the way he goes about it.

Make no mistake, K2 gives everything he has when hes on the field and I, as a die hard Browns fan love him for it. I will enjoy the short time we have left with him.

The Browns players arent getting staph infections from the Browns facilities, they are probably cleanest in the NFL, they are getting them from the Cleveland Clinic. If there is anyone to blame it should be them. Hospitals are not clean places. Im sure there are reasons for Savage not wanting to call out the CC publicly.Winslow should have kept his mouth shut. Who knows how much of the truth he is telling anyway.This is all about K2 wanting more money, period. He hinted at holding out in the offseason and now he says he thought about asking for a trade, why, to get a new contract/ signing bonus.K2's knees are bad, REALLY BAD. The dude can barely walk off the field let alone walk up a flight of stairs. He has no more than 2 1/2 years left of playing football for a living and he might be done after next season. He wants a big fat signing bonus to set himself up for life after football and frankly I cant blame him. I just diagree with the way he goes about it.Make no mistake, K2 gives everything he has when hes on the field and I, as a die hard Browns fan love him for it. I will enjoy the short time we have left with him.
Then maybe his boss needs to break whatever contract they have with the Cleveland Clinic and send his players elsewhere for their treatments, because regardless of the blame Cleveland Clinic has to shoulder, it is still the Cleveland Browns organization that is putting the players at risk by sending them to a know germ sesspool.

Not much being said of Tom Bradys staph infection.

Or Peyton Mannings "infection"

Both of wich caused a second surgery to be performed.

Maybe other teams have players that understand how to keep their mouths shut about certain things.

Article in today's Cleveland Plain Dealer regarding the Browns and Staph infections.

Are staph infections plaguing the Browns?

Plain Dealer FileSix key members of the Browns have had staph infections in the past five years, is there a bigger problem?

Kellen Winslow's post-game disclosure to The Plain Dealer Sunday that the tight end's mysterious illness was another staph infection stirs another mystery: Why so many?

That makes six key Browns in five years to come down with the ailment. Seven cases total, given that Winslow has contracted the infection twice.

Despite the latest revelation, Browns head coach Romeo Crennel didn't believe the number suggested a pattern.

"I don't think there is a reoccurrence," he said during a news conference at the team's Berea headquarters Monday. "There have been a couple cases that we have had."

More than a couple. Since 2003:

This was Winslow's second infection. His first case came in 2005 after surgery to repair a torn knee ligament in which he was hospitalized and lost almost 30 pounds.

• Former Browns center LeCharles Bentley remains out of football after suffering a staph infection that he said was life-threatening. The infection was diagnosed shortly after surgery to repair a torn tendon in his left knee in 2006.

• Receiver Joe Jurevicius is still battling back from an infection that surfaced two weeks after his arthroscopic knee surgery in January.

• Receiver Braylon Edwards missed two games during his rookie year in 2005 with a staph infection that had to be surgically removed from his right arm.

• A recurring staph infection in an elbow all but wiped out former safety Brian Russell's 2006 season.

• In late 2003, former linebacker Ben Taylor wound up in the Cleveland Clinic for five days with a staph infection after reporting to practice with a scratch near his elbow and flulike symptoms that worsened during the day.

Associated PressThe Browns have tried to make the building safe by keeping areas where the players dine, dress and meet clean, Crennel said, and by hiring a "sports coating" company to routinely examine the place. And two years ago, the Browns installed a <a href="http://www.sani-sport.com/sanisport-machines.html">Sani Sport machine, which uses an ozone process to kill bacteria on sports equipment that can cause staph and other infections.

"We have had experts come in and talk to [players] to try to educate them, we have handed out educational material so they understand infections and how to deal with them," Crennel said. "I think the team is doing everything they can to try to keep our players safe. Even with that there is no guarantee."

Staph infections in and outside hospitals are common. But they are gaining greater attention because of the growth of antibiotic-resistant staph, known as MRSA (methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus). Staph infections of the skin are acquired through cuts and scrapes, and are often spread in athletic facilities. In hospitals, invasive procedures give the bacteria opportunity to invade deeper into the body.

Three Browns' cases -- Bentley, Jurevicius and Winslow's first infection -- were contracted post-surgery at the Cleveland Clinic.

Clinic spokeswoman Eileen Sheil said Monday the hospital would not comment on the medical problems of Winslow or other patients.

Staph may appear as surgical site, urinary tract or blood infections, and it preys most often on patients with weakened immunities. Most staph infections respond to treatment.

"Staph infections are the most common type of sports infections out there," said Cuyahoga County Health Commissioner Terry Allan. "The issue now is you're seeing increased incidence of resistance."

Ohio consumers have no way of knowing the extent of hospital-acquired staph infections because the information is not public. A measure requiring hospitals to report certain infections, including those caused by antibiotic resistant staph, is expected to be enacted in 2009.

"We don't know where they are picking it up or where it comes from," Crennel said. "If we knew that then we could pinpoint it and be able to address it."

Plain Dealer reporters Harlan Spector and Mary Kay Cabot contributed to this story.

Preface: I do not own KW II in any leagues at all...This is complete and utter HORSESPIT that Winslow got suspended. Phil Savage should be fired immediately by the owner for pulling this crap. This is a guy that just doesn't get it on any level. This was a team that was on the verge of becoming special but now I can see the Cleveland cycle starting all over again. Savage should have come out, and stated how committed he was to taking care of KW II and the entire team, that they would scrub the place down 8 times a day if need be, that he would personally oversee any injured players and make sure they get the proper medical treatment because Cleveland is a fantastic organization committed to not only winning but ensuring the safety and health of all their players. He should have grabbed Winslow, brought himk in his office, made him feel special even if he didn't want to and do what was best for his team. Instead this motherless goat that smells of some wicked rotting chicken skinsnbones decides to let his NFL size EGO get in the way and decides to take the cowardly way out and suspend one of his best players and someone the organization should realize they need in order to win. not sure what happened in that rattle sounding brain of this turdmonster but he is completely wrong and has done nothing except alienate the fans of Cleveland and i hope the Dawg Pound has large signs calling for Savage's head in Sunday's football game. This is not the Pats, Giants, or Steelers that has such a winning rich tradition that you can suspend anyone without reason...this is the Brownies, and they took a large step backwards today.
Great Post. This is pretty much how I see it as well. Seems like Phil Savage is more upset that Winslow may have hurt the Brown's bargaining power by letting it be known that for the 6th time in 4 years a key player has come down with a staph infection. If you are a free agent - do you want to go to Cleveland? Just ask Joe Jurevicius - has he even made it back from his injury?LeCharles Bently - who's career was ended because of complications from his staph infectionOr Braylen Edwards, Brian Russell, or Ben TaylorOf course Winslow was wrong to blast the organization, he was probably a little heated after the tough loss at Washington and not being able to perform at a high level. Phil Savage should have just sucked it up and did whatever it takes to keep Winslow happy.

Preface: I do not own KW II in any leagues at all...This is complete and utter HORSESPIT that Winslow got suspended. Phil Savage should be fired immediately by the owner for pulling this crap. This is a guy that just doesn't get it on any level. This was a team that was on the verge of becoming special but now I can see the Cleveland cycle starting all over again. Savage should have come out, and stated how committed he was to taking care of KW II and the entire team, that they would scrub the place down 8 times a day if need be, that he would personally oversee any injured players and make sure they get the proper medical treatment because Cleveland is a fantastic organization committed to not only winning but ensuring the safety and health of all their players. He should have grabbed Winslow, brought himk in his office, made him feel special even if he didn't want to and do what was best for his team. Instead this motherless goat that smells of some wicked rotting chicken skinsnbones decides to let his NFL size EGO get in the way and decides to take the cowardly way out and suspend one of his best players and someone the organization should realize they need in order to win. not sure what happened in that rattle sounding brain of this turdmonster but he is completely wrong and has done nothing except alienate the fans of Cleveland and i hope the Dawg Pound has large signs calling for Savage's head in Sunday's football game. This is not the Pats, Giants, or Steelers that has such a winning rich tradition that you can suspend anyone without reason...this is the Brownies, and they took a large step backwards today.
:rolleyes: Well said... :)

The Browns players arent getting staph infections from the Browns facilities, they are probably cleanest in the NFL, they are getting them from the Cleveland Clinic. If there is anyone to blame it should be them. Hospitals are not clean places. Im sure there are reasons for Savage not wanting to call out the CC publicly.Winslow should have kept his mouth shut. Who knows how much of the truth he is telling anyway.This is all about K2 wanting more money, period. He hinted at holding out in the offseason and now he says he thought about asking for a trade, why, to get a new contract/ signing bonus.K2's knees are bad, REALLY BAD. The dude can barely walk off the field let alone walk up a flight of stairs. He has no more than 2 1/2 years left of playing football for a living and he might be done after next season. He wants a big fat signing bonus to set himself up for life after football and frankly I cant blame him. I just diagree with the way he goes about it.Make no mistake, K2 gives everything he has when hes on the field and I, as a die hard Browns fan love him for it. I will enjoy the short time we have left with him.
Then maybe his boss needs to break whatever contract they have with the Cleveland Clinic and send his players elsewhere for their treatments, because regardless of the blame Cleveland Clinic has to shoulder, it is still the Cleveland Browns organization that is putting the players at risk by sending them to a know germ sesspool.
I can't believe I'm gonna do this but... :( Does anyone in the Browns organization take responsibility for this? Phil Savage is a POG and should be shown the door because this team is going to implode...think the team doesn't like KW? He will be in the ear of all of them...and GL signing any more free agents.

lol browns fans.

This is all about K2 wanting more money, period. He hinted at holding out in the offseason and now he says he thought about asking for a trade, why, to get a new contract/ signing bonus.K2's knees are bad, REALLY BAD. The dude can barely walk off the field let alone walk up a flight of stairs. He has no more than 2 1/2 years left of playing football for a living and he might be done after next season. He wants a big fat signing bonus to set himself up for life after football and frankly I cant blame him. I just diagree with the way he goes about it.
this part is a great summary of what's going on.as for those that think Savage should be fired, why would they let the inmates run the asylum?why do you assume this is the first problem the team has had with Winslow? we don't know what happens behind the scenes.the team is bigger than the individual.

The problem is Winslow going to the media about "Being treated like a piece of meat". That sounds like contract talk, not infection talk.

as for those that think Savage should be fired, why would they let the inmates run the asylum?
savage should be fired for other reasons. mainly, trading a ton of picks for brady quin. signing da for too much. trading more picks for fatass lineman. trading their best corner. stallworth lol.

as for those that think Savage should be fired, why would they let the inmates run the asylum?
savage should be fired for other reasons. mainly, trading a ton of picks for brady quin. signing da for too much. trading more picks for fatass lineman. trading their best corner. stallworth lol.
seriously? you're fishing, right?

This is the complete article that is currently up on PFT: Link

BROWNS SUSPEND KELLEN WINSLOW

Posted by Michael David Smith on October 21, 2008, 6:00 p.m.

The Cleveland Browns have announced that tight end Kellen Winslow has received a one-game suspension.

On Sunday Winslow publicly criticized the team for its handling of his recent hospitalization, which he said was a result of a staph infection. General Manager Phil Savage and coach Romeo Crennel said the public criticism was inappropriate and that Winslow could be disciplined as a result.

Today Savage released a statement detailing the reasons for the suspension.

“The Cleveland Browns are committed to winning and taking care of our players,” Savage said in the statement. “We are also committed to protecting the privacy of our players, particularly with regard to medical issues. To that end, following discussions with Kellen Winslow and his representation, the Browns agreed to make every effort to maintain the confidentiality of his recent medical condition. …

“His comments and behavior on Sunday evening, however, were unwarranted, inappropriate, and unnecessarily disparaging to our organization. His statements brought unjustified negative attention to our organization, and violated the team-first concept of our football squad. Therefore, disciplinary action will be taken in the form of a one-game suspension without pay for conduct detrimental to the club.”

Savage acknowledged in the statement that concerns about staph infections (which have hit several Browns players in recent years) are legitimate, but he insisted that the team is doing everything in its power to keep its players safe from staph infections.

“As an organization, we have worked hard to ensure the safety and well-being of our players. Consistent with this effort, we have consulted the team’s medical experts to ensure that any instances of staph infections are evaluated and treated thoroughly and expeditiously, and in accordance with the recommended standard of care. Further, steps have been and continue to be taken on a daily, monthly, and yearly basis to protect our players and personnel at our training facility and stadium.”

Winslow has not spoken publicly since the suspension was announced. He is expected to miss Sunday’s game against the Jaguars and return for the November 2 game against the Ravens.

I can't remember a move by a GM this bush league in quite some time. Unreal. The guy kept quiet while everyone was speculating he had a viagra problem or was faking or whatever. And the guy doesn't even check on his player in the hospital to do anything other than tell him not to let everyone know they have ANOTHER staph infection. He says he felt not cared for by the main man and then gets busted?

Beyond bush league.

J

Joe Bryant said:
I can't remember a move by a GM this bush league in quite some time. Unreal. The guy kept quiet while everyone was speculating he had a viagra problem or was faking or whatever. And the guy doesn't even check on his player in the hospital to do anything other than tell him not to let everyone know they have ANOTHER staph infection. He says he felt not cared for by the main man and then gets busted? Beyond bush league. J
:whoosh: Bizarre situation

my money's on KW2 going to the Raiders after this year.

A lot of teams will pass on him because of his temper and possible early end to his career.

Fallerjw said:
Is the Cleveland Clinic storing their scalpels in a pile of dung?
The amazing thing is that the Cleveland Clinic is year in and year out rated as one of the top hospitals in the US. It states in the article I posted a few posts up that "Three Browns' cases -- Bentley, Jurevicius and Winslow's first infection -- were contracted post-surgery at the Cleveland Clinic."That means 4 out of 7 were probably contracted from the training facility.

Those who've been following KW2... know how egotistical and f'd in the head he is. His old man , CERTAINLY didn't help (lest we forget the whole recruiting race card).

Users who are viewing this thread