What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones on Thanksgiving (1 Viewer)

Silver & Black

Footballguy
For the first time this year, I got to watch a whole Lions game and I was really shocked at the play calling. I couldn't believe how quickly Martz abandoned the run. I mean, I have read about it and saw the stats before, but just watching the game, I was really surprised that they simply stopped trying to run the ball in the second half for the most part. Especially because I thought Jones looked pretty good early on.

I read that Martz has gotten some heat from the team about it. The Lions usually play tough on Thanksgiving and I was wondering if people think he is a good play on Thanksgiving. And moving forward. Will Martz give him the ball more or stick to his guns and throw, throw, throw?

As an aside, I didn't think Jones looked to be slowed by his foot injury at all. Kitna's comments after the game against the Giants may have the team fired up. I think if he gets the ball more often, he can be a pretty solid rb down the stretch. Thoughts?

Id look for other options on Thanksgiving.

Green Bay is pretty stout against the run and allowing RBs to do much.

And they may be a bit pissed that the whole "bounty" thing is getting as much play as it is.

They did take a hit losing Jolly. But he was no higher than 3rd at DT behind Pickett and Williams.

Cole and Harrell should see more time with Jolly out.

I read that Martz has gotten some heat from the team about it. The Lions usually play tough on Thanksgiving and I was wondering if people think he is a good play on Thanksgiving. And moving forward. Will Martz give him the ball more or stick to his guns and throw, throw, throw?
This has already been disproven in the Grant thread. Detroit has gotten absolutely throttled the last three Thanksgiving day games.

This has already been disproven in the Grant thread. Detroit has gotten absolutely throttled the last three Thanksgiving day games.
this detroit team is alot better than the past threee seasons. And the Lion D has played pretty well at home. Also inthe last two losses, starting RT Jonathan Scott was out due to a bad thumb and George "false start" foster was in his place. Line play should be better

Not sure here. The last time Marinelli got mad about not running Jones had his biggest game of the year. With Martz who knows, but I am pretty sure the Lions will run the ball more.

The fact that Martz is not using KJ to run the ball doesn't surprise me much. The fact that Martz is not using KJ more in the passing game totally surprises me. Before he got hurt last season, KJ was gold in a PPR league. In STL Martz would throw up to 10 times per game to Faulk.

I'm really interested in seeing Detroit play tomorrow. KJ is being under-utilized, Calvin Johnson is being way under-utilized. Roy Williams has been so-so this season but the Lions have 6 wins. Who the heck is getting all the looks Furrey and MacDonald? Maybe tomorrow I will be able to get a better feel for what the Lions are trying to do - so far I'm lost.

Last edited by a moderator:
Shut down KJ against the GB defense. He has proven he's not worth much this year. There are backups to currently starting RBs garnering more points than KJ.

Shut down KJ against the GB defense. He has proven he's not worth much this year. There are backups to currently starting RBs garnering more points than KJ.
Backups? Like who?
Last week in my league which scores 1 pt 10 yard rush/rec 6 pt td, these back ups out scored Kevin Jones:Eckel NEEvans NEHall DenverA. Peterson ChicPittman TBBuckhalter PhillyDavenport PittBrown TennAnd none of these players were even starters for their teams :thumbup: Even if you gave Jones 1pt per rec (he had 3) most of these guys would still out score him last week. Green Bay will shut Jones down early, and Kitna will have to pass 50 times. Add a sore foot to boot and Jones will have a poor week.

I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that KJ admitted that he "tweaked" or "injured" (can remember his exact terminology) his surgically repaired foot week in the AZ game week before last. Anyone have more information on this? Homers?

I'm wondering if the coaching staff is taking it somewhat easy on KJ hoping his foot doesn't blow out. Either way, I'm not feeling it this week for KJ vs. a very stout GB defense. The problem for me is that I've got to decide between playing KJ or C. Benson this week and have to win my game in order to make the playoffs. Crossing my fingers that the fantasy gods give me some sign by tomrrow morning...

I read somewhere (sorry, no link) that KJ admitted that he "tweaked" or "injured" (can remember his exact terminology) his surgically repaired foot week in the AZ game week before last. Anyone have more information on this? Homers? I'm wondering if the coaching staff is taking it somewhat easy on KJ hoping his foot doesn't blow out. Either way, I'm not feeling it this week for KJ vs. a very stout GB defense. The problem for me is that I've got to decide between playing KJ or C. Benson this week and have to win my game in order to make the playoffs. Crossing my fingers that the fantasy gods give me some sign by tomrrow morning...
I think Jones is probably more banged up than people seem ready to believe. On top of that, the Lions have some tough rushing matchups coming up. 5 of their last 6 games are against stout run defenses ranked in the top 6 rush defenses by FO (and the Giants rank 7th). I'm sure it will be Martz's fault though if they don't succeed. :blackdot:

It's hard for a guy recovering from a Lis Franc injury to consistently carry the ball a lot without aggravating the injury.

He came back too soon, i'm very worried about that foot holding up going forward.

It's hard for a guy recovering from a Lis Franc injury to consistently carry the ball a lot without aggravating the injury.

He came back too soon, i'm very worried about that foot holding up going forward.
So, the fact that all the Doctors said that there was no risk of further injury to the foot means nothing too you, and he came back too soon? It is a question of pain tolerance and ability to play with the injury productively.

Backups? Like who?
Last week in my league which scores 1 pt 10 yard rush/rec 6 pt td, these back ups out scored Kevin Jones:Eckel NEEvans NEHall DenverA. Peterson ChicPittman TBBuckhalter PhillyDavenport PittBrown TennAnd none of these players were even starters for their teams :confused: Even if you gave Jones 1pt per rec (he had 3) most of these guys would still out score him last week. Green Bay will shut Jones down early, and Kitna will have to pass 50 times. Add a sore foot to boot and Jones will have a poor week.
Nice... single out a particular week.

this detroit team is alot better than the past threee seasons. And the Lion D has played pretty well at home. Also inthe last two losses, starting RT Jonathan Scott was out due to a bad thumb and George "false start" foster was in his place. Line play should be better
Sure they are better this year. However, the guy did say and I quote "The Lions usually play tough on Thanksgiving". That seems like a ridiculous statement when you look at what the Lions have done recently on Thanksgiving day.

Backups? Like who?
Last week in my league which scores 1 pt 10 yard rush/rec 6 pt td, these back ups out scored Kevin Jones:Eckel NEEvans NEHall DenverA. Peterson ChicPittman TBBuckhalter PhillyDavenport PittBrown TennAnd none of these players were even starters for their teams :lmao: Even if you gave Jones 1pt per rec (he had 3) most of these guys would still out score him last week. Green Bay will shut Jones down early, and Kitna will have to pass 50 times. Add a sore foot to boot and Jones will have a poor week.
:obc:

Kevin Jones goes off for 60 yards rushing and 25 receiving on 4 catches. The Packers defense is like nothing they've had since about 1998. They are the best tackling defense in the NFL right now. They will shut him down. Shaun McDonald is the play this weekend as Jarrett Bush will be "covering" him. And by covering, I mean watching him run around unmolested. ROY and Gobot won't do a whole lot.

I think the Detroit D is a sneaky play tomarrow. Sneaky, in that GB has been a bad matchup for Ds this year. Detroit gets lots of sacks, INTs, and FFs. I think one will end up a TD. I can see Favre trying to force a few on Turkey day...

The big thing I worry about is his pain management and recovery time on a 3 day rest instead of a 6 day rest. I'll still be starting him, though

I know the Packer D has been pretty good this year (I have them in a couple of leagues in fact), but they did just give up 382 yards to a Panther team with no Steve Smith and Vinnie Testeverde at QB, including 131 yards on the ground at about a 4.5 ypc clip.

Things don't look as bad to me for Jones as some in this thread are portraying it.

Backups? Like who?
Last week in my league which scores 1 pt 10 yard rush/rec 6 pt td, these back ups out scored Kevin Jones:Eckel NEEvans NEHall DenverA. Peterson ChicPittman TBBuckhalter PhillyDavenport PittBrown TennAnd none of these players were even starters for their teams :loco: Even if you gave Jones 1pt per rec (he had 3) most of these guys would still out score him last week. Green Bay will shut Jones down early, and Kitna will have to pass 50 times. Add a sore foot to boot and Jones will have a poor week.
Well the last THREE weeks in my league Kevin Jones has averaged 6 points per week, not hard for a back up to get six points. But maybe 6 points is not bad for a #2 FF RB?

i hate to break this to some people, but this is a PASSING LEAGUE

you arent going to be much of a contender unless you ahve a potent passing game

Once again, this seems to be boiling down to PPR or not. In non -PPR leagues, he's a risky start. In PPR, he's gold.
He wasn't last week. He only had one catch until their final drive.
Yeah but he's 25th in PPR scoring leagues and he missed the first two weeks and had a game where he had -4 yards rushing. He's 15th in PPR leagues over the past six weeks. If you're not playing him in a PPR league with LJ, AP, and Ronnie Brown out then you're in an 8 team league with no flex option and even then you might not be very smart.

I am in this same situation. Maroney or Kevin for my flex in a ppr league. Both burned me last week in a huge divisional showdown for top seed. My final decision is play Kevin. One thing I noticed is how Kitna kept trying to hit him deep last time I saw Detroit play his first or second week back. He missed then all but they were all 4 to 10 pt throws if they had hit them depending if he scored or not!

That play will be open against GB if Kitna has time to throw. And Moreny you never know whats up in NE but I am totally lost with him this year!

Gr00vus said:
I know the Packer D has been pretty good this year (I have them in a couple of leagues in fact), but they did just give up 382 yards to a Panther team with no Steve Smith and Vinnie Testeverde at QB, including 131 yards on the ground at about a 4.5 ypc clip.Things don't look as bad to me for Jones as some in this thread are portraying it.
2 things here: first, Carolina was down 28-3 5 plays into the 2nd half. They gained about 160 of their 380 yards and averaged 3.6 ypc before that point. GB was probably content to let Carolina run the clock down with some running plays at that point. second, their weakness is pass defense, so it would make sense for Martz to go after them with the pass at first.

I am in this same situation. Maroney or Kevin for my flex in a ppr league. Both burned me last week in a huge divisional showdown for top seed. My final decision is play Kevin. One thing I noticed is how Kitna kept trying to hit him deep last time I saw Detroit play his first or second week back. He missed then all but they were all 4 to 10 pt throws if they had hit them depending if he scored or not! That play will be open against GB if Kitna has time to throw. And Moreny you never know whats up in NE but I am totally lost with him this year!
I am in the same situation, a must win game with a division opponent - and have to choose 2 from Gore, Maroney and KJ (all crappy). I think anyone in the similar position (having 2 or more comparable players, one playing on a Thursday and the rest on a Sunday/Monday, has to lean towards starting the Thursday player for the following reason: you can adjust your Sunday line-up based on the performance of the Thursday player. For example, if I choose KJ and he puts up a miserable week (which is possible) - I can swap out my kicker (Gotskowski, NE - who is a lock for 6-9 pts but cannot and will not put up more) for a FA kicker like Dawson or Reed, who has the potential to kick 3 FGs. Also, can roll dice on the Cutler - Marshall combo hooking up again like last week, rather than benching Cutler for a more consistent QB like Garcia. In the end - I think that GB locks down on the two outside WRs and leaves a lot open in the middle for Furrrey, McDonald and Jones. If GB gets up big and the Lions have to pass, KJ should get multiple receptions, and of someone gets tackled inside the 5, he should get some GL work. While his low side is very low, I think he will outperform his ranking this week and then I can worry about adjusting my line-up later. Just my $.02

Id look for other options on Thanksgiving.Green Bay is pretty stout against the run and allowing RBs to do much.And they may be a bit pissed that the whole "bounty" thing is getting as much play as it is.They did take a hit losing Jolly. But he was no higher than 3rd at DT behind Pickett and Williams.Cole and Harrell should see more time with Jolly out.
Harrell could be a stud down the line. I definitely want to see the guy play.

I pulled KJ out of my lineup because I thought the matchup wasn't in his favor. Meanwhile, he puts up a 19 point performance on my bench.

I will not be benching KJ again, unless he is ruled "OUT" for that game.

:rolleyes:

I pulled KJ out of my lineup because I thought the matchup wasn't in his favor. Meanwhile, he puts up a 19 point performance on my bench.I will not be benching KJ again, unless he is ruled "OUT" for that game. :hey:
Me too. Rumors about re injuring the foot. I'm sick and tired of Fox and PFT spreading such garbage. Not listening ever again.

I pulled KJ out of my lineup because I thought the matchup wasn't in his favor. Meanwhile, he puts up a 19 point performance on my bench.I will not be benching KJ again, unless he is ruled "OUT" for that game. :unsure:
Me too. Rumors about re injuring the foot. I'm sick and tired of Fox and PFT spreading such garbage. Not listening ever again.
I left him IN and was very very happy.....I think he would have had 2 Td's if not for the Chop block penalty! After the Carolina game I thought GB could be run on.

Seems like I've been getting beat by guys that had what I considered bad match-ups all season. Yesterday KJ had a pretty bad match-up on paper but I was forced to use him because of injuries to Alexander and Jacobs. Maybe we make too big of deal about match-ups period.

For the second time all season I got to see Detroit play and I thought KJ looked pretty good. Seems to me that the biggest detriment to him putting up points is Martz. Maybe he learned something yesterday but I doubt it.

I think this is going to be a roller coaster ride the rest of the way. KJ is talented and capable of having a nice day regardless of matchup due to his ability to catch the ball. On the other hand, we've already been shown that Martz is capable of completely ignoring him in the offense. Not to mention he could tweak that sore foot at any time.

Right now I'd prefer to have a more consistent producer as a starting RB and leave KJ as a #3 or flex starter, but who has that luxury with all the RBs that have gone down?

Maybe we make too big of deal about match-ups period.
I agree. In general, I use match-up to decide between two equally talented players or similarly ranked players. The problem here was, given all of the ??? surrounding KJ's health and lack of involvement in the offense, he looked like a bad bet to start with. Throw the bad match-up on top of that and, of course you get over 100 combined yards and TD. Just the joys of this hobby.

I think this is going to be a roller coaster ride the rest of the way. KJ is talented and capable of having a nice day regardless of matchup due to his ability to catch the ball. On the other hand, we've already been shown that Martz is capable of completely ignoring him in the offense. Not to mention he could tweak that sore foot at any time.

Right now I'd prefer to have a more consistent producer as a starting RB and leave KJ as a #3 or flex starter, but who has that luxury with all the RBs that have gone down?
This is right on the money...KJ was supposed to be a great #3 bye week guy who if got 100% would be gold......now with Rudi injured/not playing well he is my #2 and is not very predictable. Although he looks like he is good for a TD almost every week.

If KJ can get it done against Green Bay but suck against the Jets and Cardinals, something doesn't make sense. Either they weren't using him properly in the first two games or Green Bay's run defense is more porous than we formerly believed.

If KJ can get it done against Green Bay but suck against the Jets and Cardinals, something doesn't make sense. Either they weren't using him properly in the first two games or Green Bay's run defense is more porous than we formerly believed.
I think a mix of the two. The run wasn't used much in those two games, but KJ was very much in the game vs GB. But GBs def let Carolina run, so perhaps it's not as stout as most believe.

Well GB was what 9th in rush D going into yesterday? Considering a 9-1 team is probably playing ahead a lot then I'm going to guess teams often don't have the opportunity to run on them as much as they would like. The Lions never played the Jets so I'm guessing you meant the Giants who statistically have a better rush D than the Packers. Cards and Packers came into yesterday's game about the same and the Lions came away with 134 yards rushing about 40 above what the Packers have averaged giving up going into the game. Also I would guess Rod Marinelli's comments last week about how they "abandoned the run" as an offense leads to the belief that they weren't using him correctly.

I think a mix of the two. The run wasn't used much in those two games, but KJ was very much in the game vs GB. But GBs def let Carolina run, so perhaps it's not as stout as most believe.
I did not think that the bold part was even in question!

Users who are viewing this thread