What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Smith Injury (1 Viewer)

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/playerbreakingnews.asp?sport=NFL&id=4638&line=223683&spln=1

The Detroit News confirms that Kevin Smith (ankle) is expected to start Sunday's game against the Raiders.

DetroitLions.com has essentially said the same thing. The Raiders have been getting rocked by opposing running games since their Week 9 bye, allowing enemy tailbacks to average over 5 1/2 yards per carry. Smith's ankle is not nearly the concern it was two weeks ago. Fantasy owners looking for a high-upside Week 15 starter should get Smith into their lineups as an RB2 or flex. Dec. 16 - 3:14 pm et

Smith's ankle is not nearly the concern it was two weeks ago.
Huh? The guy has tweaked his ankle every time he's played the last 3 weeks, plus he could barely make cuts on it a few days ago. That ankle is definitely still a major concern.

Huh? The guy has tweaked his ankle every time he's played the last 3 weeks, plus he could barely make cuts on it a few days ago. That ankle is definitely still a major concern.
Agreed it is still a concern, but what's this about "he could barely make cuts on it a few days ago?"I haven't heard anything like that at all...if you have news like that, please share it.

Agreed it is still a concern, but what's this about "he could barely make cuts on it a few days ago?"I haven't heard anything like that at all...if you have news like that, please share it.
Agreed. Unless he's referring to last Fridays practice, that's the last time I've heard any negative news in the ankle.

LeSean McCoy

Chris Johnson

Kevin Smith

The entire fantasy universe wants me to believe (again) that Chris Johnson will come through this weekend.

I have a knot in my gut telling me to sub in Kevin Smith over Chris Johnson.

(Then again, could just be beef brisket from the holiday party, having a tough way through.)

LeSean McCoy

Chris Johnson

Kevin Smith

The entire fantasy universe wants me to believe (again) that Chris Johnson will come through this weekend.

(Then again, could just be beef brisket from the holiday party, having a tough way through.)
I'm going through a similar dilemma in a 2-week matchup where I'm presently down 75 points and need some high upside guys.Ray Rice

Felix Jones

Kevin Smith

I'm sure odds are astronomically low of both Jones and Smith making it out of their respective feature back matchups healthy and unscathed but for some reason I'm weighing the idea of starting Smith ahead of Rice (who is probably destined for a safe 15-16 points at best).

According to this he is "questionable" but is expected to play. Nothing about a starter being declared yet.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-evinmithnkleuestiona
he doesnt need to start, he just needs his 12-15 touches. No way I would start Kevin Smith over Felix Jones. good luck with CJ though, thats a tough call

According to this he is "questionable" but is expected to play. Nothing about a starter being declared yet.http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=rotowire-evinmithnkleuestiona
Detroit news has a small blurb on his expected to start-nesshttp://detnews.com/article/20111216/SPORTS0101/112160432/1126/rss14Pro football talk parrots that and adds more analysishttp://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/12/16/kevin-smith-expected-to-start-for-lions/Sbnation says there are numerous reports that he will starthttp://detroit.sbnation.com/detroit-lions/2011/12/16/2641498/kevin-smith-injury-lions-week-15I just hope he lasts the game. He's averaging 11 FPs a quarter, and I could use a 40!

I'm going through a similar dilemma in a 2-week matchup where I'm presently down 75 points and need some high upside guys.

Ray Rice

Felix Jones

Kevin Smith

I'm sure odds are astronomically low of both Jones and Smith making it out of their respective feature back matchups healthy and unscathed but for some reason I'm weighing the idea of starting Smith ahead of Rice (who is probably destined for a safe 15-16 points at best).
Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight.

That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight. That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
Felix against an awful TB defense sounds like a good plan to me; Certainly a safer bet. I understand your reticence though as Felix was coming up small before his injury. Maybe D Murray's performances in his absence put a sense of urgency in him.

Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight. That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
I'd go with Felix and not think twice. He's healthy, motivated and has a nice matchup. We don't even know for sure if smith will start and I can all but guarantee you that he doesn't last the game. He's dropped, untouched in his last two appearances. Go with Jones.

LeSean McCoy

Chris Johnson

Kevin Smith

I'm going through a similar dilemma in a 2-week matchup where I'm presently down 75 points and need some high upside guys.Ray Rice

Felix Jones

Kevin Smith

Don't over think this. Do not start Smith over Rice or Jones. I'm as big a Kevin Smith fan as there is, but there is no way I start him over two healthy and productive backs in the ff playoffs.

I am having trouble deciding whether Kevin Smith is a good start too. I have a flex spot to fill and it is between Spiller, Beanie, Santana Moss, Ryan Matthews and Kevin Smith. Matthews is playing against the #2 rush denfense, but has been doing really well the past 3 weeks. Beanie has a great matchup against Cleveland, Moss is going against a weak pass defense, Spiller is playing a Miami team in flux and Smith is playing against a Raiders defense that is giving up a ton of yards and points. This is my playoff week and I just need to make the right call.

Laurent Robinson over Smith? Obviously have to decide today. OR....my bail out plan could be Torrey Smith if Kevin can't go or isn't starting or whatever at the last minute.....

I'm up 42-0 thanks to Roddy and MJD and this to reach the SB.

Do I go with Smith over Sproles in PPR league? Tempted to but not sure I can wait 'til the late game and take the chance.

Laurent Robinson over Smith? Obviously have to decide today. OR....my bail out plan could be Torrey Smith if Kevin can't go or isn't starting or whatever at the last minute.....I'm up 42-0 thanks to Roddy and MJD and this to reach the SB.
Keep us posted!

Felix against an awful TB defense sounds like a good plan to me; Certainly a safer bet. I understand your reticence though as Felix was coming up small before his injury. Maybe D Murray's performances in his absence put a sense of urgency in him.
There is no one to steal Felix' carries and IMO he is a better back. I would go with him over a gimpy Kevin Smith anyday. I don't understand the uber love for Smith. He has played in four games this season and only had one great game. Yeah, it was a great fantasy game against CAR at home. Isn't Oakland a better run D especially in Oakland?

There is no one to steal Felix' carries and IMO he is a better back. I would go with him over a gimpy Kevin Smith anyday. I don't understand the uber love for Smith. He has played in four games this season and only had one great game. Yeah, it was a great fantasy game against CAR at home. Isn't Oakland a better run D especially in Oakland?
i dont take advice from someone who doesnt know that rbs have rushed all over oakland this year in fact the 4th most fantasy points to rb's. kevin smith is a high risk high reward type of player.

'Topes said:
'Lascelle said:
I'm going through a similar dilemma in a 2-week matchup where I'm presently down 75 points and need some high upside guys.

Ray Rice

Felix Jones

Kevin Smith

Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight.

That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
Jones has a juicy matchup and when in doubt "always play the healthy player". My choices are tougher-Smith or Spiller and in another league Smith or A Brown. Going with Smith for now in both unless the news changes.

Still debating putting Smith in over M. Bush.

With Suh and (probably?) Fairley back, DET's inside will stiffen up a bit compared to some of their recent outings. I see DET putting a lot of points on the board, with OAK trying to rush early, then having to go hard to the passing game by the early 2nd quarter to catch up.

In that situation, I'd think Bush obviously will have his opportunities to catch passes out of the backfield, but I foresee a lot of 3-and-outs as Palmer tries to make up points with big, low % passes, rather than dink/dunk down the field.

They play each other late, so I have the luxury of seeing how my opponent is sitting during/late in the early games. As of the start of the late games (in addition to my choice of Bush vs. Smith) he'll have PIT D/ST and Akers on Monday night vs. my Wallace, so I'm going to plan on losing 10 pts. overall (or more) on Monday night.

If I'm down more than 10 and need a homerun, and Smith is projected to play, I'll probably put him in and hope he can go a full game. If the game is close at 2:45, I'll probably keep Bush in and hope he can get me something in the ballpark of 15. Then I have to pray Roethlisberger plays and Wallace can be relevant on Monday.

No need for the sarcastic "tell us how it turns out :rolleyes: " posts I'm just relaying a a bit of strategy that others may have at their disposal. Someone else may be able to make a similar Home Run vs. Small Ball decision, based on their matchups...and this is my take.

Should be an interesting weekend of football!

I would start Helu, but what about smith vs bradshaw mathews or jacobs. I want to hope he makes it a half and gets me 20 pts.

I would start Helu, but what about smith vs bradshaw mathews or jacobs. I want to hope he makes it a half and gets me 20 pts.
I don't like Mathews matchup at all, especially with SD's inconsistency. I def like Smith over the NYG backs. Unless I hear some bad news about the ankle, I would go with Smith.

Still debating putting Smith in over M. Bush.With Suh and (probably?) Fairley back, DET's inside will stiffen up a bit compared to some of their recent outings. I see DET putting a lot of points on the board, with OAK trying to rush early, then having to go hard to the passing game by the early 2nd quarter to catch up.In that situation, I'd think Bush obviously will have his opportunities to catch passes out of the backfield, but I foresee a lot of 3-and-outs as Palmer tries to make up points with big, low % passes, rather than dink/dunk down the field.They play each other late, so I have the luxury of seeing how my opponent is sitting during/late in the early games. As of the start of the late games (in addition to my choice of Bush vs. Smith) he'll have PIT D/ST and Akers on Monday night vs. my Wallace, so I'm going to plan on losing 10 pts. overall (or more) on Monday night.If I'm down more than 10 and need a homerun, and Smith is projected to play, I'll probably put him in and hope he can go a full game. If the game is close at 2:45, I'll probably keep Bush in and hope he can get me something in the ballpark of 15. Then I have to pray Roethlisberger plays and Wallace can be relevant on Monday.No need for the sarcastic "tell us how it turns out :rolleyes: " posts I'm just relaying a a bit of strategy that others may have at their disposal. Someone else may be able to make a similar Home Run vs. Small Ball decision, based on their matchups...and this is my take.Should be an interesting weekend of football!
Good post. I'm getting tired of the "tell us how it turns out" champs, too. I think it's very useful to have someone give a glimpse into the thought process used to make a lineup decision, and it certainly is easier to follow when specific players (and in this case, game times) are used instead of trying to get so generic that it becomes difficult to follow.

Still debating putting Smith in over M. Bush.With Suh and (probably?) Fairley back, DET's inside will stiffen up a bit compared to some of their recent outings. I see DET putting a lot of points on the board, with OAK trying to rush early, then having to go hard to the passing game by the early 2nd quarter to catch up.In that situation, I'd think Bush obviously will have his opportunities to catch passes out of the backfield, but I foresee a lot of 3-and-outs as Palmer tries to make up points with big, low % passes, rather than dink/dunk down the field.They play each other late, so I have the luxury of seeing how my opponent is sitting during/late in the early games. As of the start of the late games (in addition to my choice of Bush vs. Smith) he'll have PIT D/ST and Akers on Monday night vs. my Wallace, so I'm going to plan on losing 10 pts. overall (or more) on Monday night.If I'm down more than 10 and need a homerun, and Smith is projected to play, I'll probably put him in and hope he can go a full game. If the game is close at 2:45, I'll probably keep Bush in and hope he can get me something in the ballpark of 15. Then I have to pray Roethlisberger plays and Wallace can be relevant on Monday.No need for the sarcastic "tell us how it turns out :rolleyes: " posts I'm just relaying a a bit of strategy that others may have at their disposal. Someone else may be able to make a similar Home Run vs. Small Ball decision, based on their matchups...and this is my take.Should be an interesting weekend of football!
Good post. I'm getting tired of the "tell us how it turns out" champs, too. I think it's very useful to have someone give a glimpse into the thought process used to make a lineup decision, and it certainly is easier to follow when specific players (and in this case, game times) are used instead of trying to get so generic that it becomes difficult to follow.
:goodposting:

:goodposting:
:goodposting: Agreed my man. I have exact same scenario with both Bush and Smith. Have Felix in right now against Dez and Witten. Have Rodgers vs. Bree's tomorrow. If Brees out duels Rodgers (which is very possible) I may switch Smith in for Bush.

I am debating starting Smith over Marshawn Lynch! Lynch is playing a tough Bears defense. It is crazy. I think that Smith could have a massive day against the Raiders. I am over thinking this I am sure.

going with smith over mendenhall. Mendenhall will probably give me 10-16 points in ppr, but i'm a big underdog and need the upside that smith offers.

I still might plug Smith in over Barber due to upside & I am down going into today's game.
Contemplating the same 2 players here in a non-ppr. Championship is today. He had Romo last night, so I'm behind now. Wish they both were at the same time. Having a real hard time making a decision, I don't want it to be the reason I lose.Will there be any other news on Smith before 1:00 or will we likely have to decide based on the current info?

I am debating starting Smith over Marshawn Lynch! Lynch is playing a tough Bears defense. It is crazy. I think that Smith could have a massive day against the Raiders. I am over thinking this I am sure.
In the same boat, but I just can't bring myself to bench Lynch. If Smith were 100%, yeah sure, but not with a gimpy ankle. Plus, I'm hoping the Bears offense may yield some short fields and give Lynch an opportunity to score.

I'm looking at KSmith or CJ Spiller. KSmith has the much better matchup but I'm worried he only plays a couple series and retweeks his ankle.

I really wish I knew about a few more lineup decisions for owners. It's been fascinating thus far.
This thread really epitomizes everything wrong with the Shark Pool. How it hasn't been locked is beyond me.
And people like you posting something similar to this in every thread has been far more annoying than people explaining their reasoning/comparisons for players.

I really wish I knew about a few more lineup decisions for owners. It's been fascinating thus far.
This thread really epitomizes everything wrong with the Shark Pool. How it hasn't been locked is beyond me.
People who have nothing better to do than complain about threads that they obviously dont care about are whats wrong with the shark pool. Some of us are interested in any shred of information we can find about a critical lineup decision which is clearly in bounds of what is and should be what the shark pool is about.

Users who are viewing this thread