What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Smith Injury (1 Viewer)

Going with K Smith over Spiller based on FB Guys and the SP recommendations. I have gotten bad advice the last 3 playoffs from FBG, if they miss again this year I am done paying and will just use Shark pool and other free sites for my guesses on who to start.

I really wish I knew about a few more lineup decisions for owners. It's been fascinating thus far.
This thread really epitomizes everything wrong with the Shark Pool. How it hasn't been locked is beyond me.
I really don't get the hate.What is wrong with people posting their actual lineup decisions, and some of their thoughts/rationale, if it could help other Shark Pool readers who have the exact/similar decisions to make?Maybe someone hasn't considered an angle of why X would be a better play than Y...and isn't helping each other out part of why we come here?

I really wish I knew about a few more lineup decisions for owners. It's been fascinating thus far.
This thread really epitomizes everything wrong with the Shark Pool. How it hasn't been locked is beyond me.
Some of us like to hear other people's reasoning. It adds depth, perspective, context. So get lost.
You like to hear reasoning? Then I'm sure all of these posts I'm about to quote were incredibly helpful. This thread is about Kevin Smith's INJURY, not who you may or may not be starting him over. The ACF is for help with lineup decisions. It's not for asking who you should start and letting us know that you're up or down after the previous games. HTH.

'Topes said:
Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight.

That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
Laurent Robinson over Smith? Obviously have to decide today. OR....my bail out plan could be Torrey Smith if Kevin can't go or isn't starting or whatever at the last minute.....

I'm up 42-0 thanks to Roddy and MJD and this to reach the SB.
Looks like Kevin Smith is going to make or break a bunch of us....I am rolling with him over Spiller, Mendenhall, and Stevie Johnson.
Do I go with Smith over Sproles in PPR league? Tempted to but not sure I can wait 'til the late game and take the chance.
What about smith vs L Blount.?
Starting KSmith over Bradshaw. Playing with the house's money at this point and have to go for it...
Thinking about starting him over Helu...
Fascinating and hard hitting discussion here. Incredibly helpful info related to Kevin Smith's INJURY. For those complaining about us complaining about a thread I don't care about, I DO care about the thread. I came here for injury update info and had to scroll through post after post after post of nonsense that is completely unrelated to his injury.

ETA---I couldn't even post all the nonsense because I went over the quote limit.

Last edited by a moderator:
'Ty_Webb said:
Messageboard wanna be moderator guy is 10 times worse than sit'em/start'em post guy.
:goodposting: Peeps need to relax, if you want strict injury news go to the gameday Kevin Smith Injury thread.

'gianmarco said:
Fascinating and hard hitting discussion here. Incredibly helpful info related to Kevin Smith's INJURY. For those complaining about us complaining about a thread I don't care about, I DO care about the thread. I came here for injury update info and had to scroll through post after post after post of nonsense that is completely unrelated to his injury.ETA---I couldn't even post all the nonsense because I went over the quote limit.
Wouldn't your post fall in the same category? How is it related to Kevin Smith's injury in anyway whatsoever? At least the others are related to it.

'gianmarco said:
Fascinating and hard hitting discussion here. Incredibly helpful info related to Kevin Smith's INJURY. For those complaining about us complaining about a thread I don't care about, I DO care about the thread. I came here for injury update info and had to scroll through post after post after post of nonsense that is completely unrelated to his injury.ETA---I couldn't even post all the nonsense because I went over the quote limit.
Wouldn't your post fall in the same category? How is it related to Kevin Smith's injury in anyway whatsoever? At least the others are related to it.
Pretty sure there is a Sunday thread with News only.

'gianmarco said:
:goodposting:

He is starting for me over Hillis in one league, and McGahee and Forte (injury) in another. Love the matchup, and his upside is the sort of thing that wins you championships.

:football:

'gianmarco said:
The third, sixth and seventh(I think) I didn't mind at all, since they were telling me what they were either doing or thinking of doing. The others, well, I agree, we're in the wrong forum.

He is playing, just looks really ordinary.

Sick to my stomach, can't believe I let FBG's talk me into starting Smith over CJ Spiller. NEVER EVER start a RB with health issues over a 100% RB.

He is playing, just looks really ordinary.Sick to my stomach, can't believe I let FBG's talk me into starting Smith over CJ Spiller. NEVER EVER start a RB with health issues over a 100% RB.
I started him over Spiller one league and over Hillis in another. :wall:

Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight. That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
Felix against an awful TB defense sounds like a good plan to me; Certainly a safer bet. I understand your reticence though as Felix was coming up small before his injury. Maybe D Murray's performances in his absence put a sense of urgency in him.
There is no one to steal Felix' carries and IMO he is a better back. I would go with him over a gimpy Kevin Smith anyday. I don't understand the uber love for Smith. He has played in four games this season and only had one great game. Yeah, it was a great fantasy game against CAR at home. Isn't Oakland a better run D especially in Oakland?
i dont take advice from someone who doesnt know that rbs have rushed all over oakland this year in fact the 4th most fantasy points to rb's. kevin smith is a high risk high reward type of player.
Lexdizzile: Actually, I live in Oakland viewing area and their Run D has not been that bad the last half of the season. They got gashed by Denver, like most teams. Anyway, Kevin Smith was totally shut down today. And it wasn't his injury. The Oakland defense just didn't give him any holes.

Felix Jones or Kevin Smith? Tough call, but has to be made tonight. That time angle puts a bit more safety toward Jones than would normally be warranted.
Felix against an awful TB defense sounds like a good plan to me; Certainly a safer bet. I understand your reticence though as Felix was coming up small before his injury. Maybe D Murray's performances in his absence put a sense of urgency in him.
There is no one to steal Felix' carries and IMO he is a better back. I would go with him over a gimpy Kevin Smith anyday. I don't understand the uber love for Smith. He has played in four games this season and only had one great game. Yeah, it was a great fantasy game against CAR at home. Isn't Oakland a better run D especially in Oakland?
i dont take advice from someone who doesnt know that rbs have rushed all over oakland this year in fact the 4th most fantasy points to rb's. kevin smith is a high risk high reward type of player.
Lexdizzile: Actually, I live in Oakland viewing area and their Run D has not been that bad the last half of the season. They got gashed by Denver, like most teams. Anyway, Kevin Smith was totally shut down today. And it wasn't his injury. The Oakland defense just didn't give him any holes.
This and he was in a lot of the game picking up blitzers, plus he dropped a wide open pass in the last drive (that eventually won it for the lions)

He is playing, just looks really ordinary.

Sick to my stomach, can't believe I let FBG's talk me into starting Smith over CJ Spiller. NEVER EVER start a RB with health issues over a 100% RB.
Never let anyone decide your lineup other than yourself!

Pedestrian effort, but it's not like he's the only RB that didn't have a good game. What I am surprised most about is how little he was used in the passing game.

He will be much better next week while riding most people's benches (if they are still in their playoffs).

For me, next week ill have to decide b/w smith and spiller. I still think smith is a talent, and if i hear reports that his ankle is good to go for next week i will probably insert him again in my lineups in the 2 super bowls i am in

Pedestrian effort, but it's not like he's the only RB that didn't have a good game. What I am surprised most about is how little he was used in the passing game.
Yeah, I don't get that. I read something about him being in on a lot of blitz pickups, but seems like you use the screens/dump offs to stop the blitzes. Smith and then Morris/Williams when Smith got tweaked were averaging 9 receptions a game the last 4 weeks and today Smith is healthy start to finish and he gets 1? Especially, considering they were behind basically all game.Oh well, amazingly, I got lucky (first time all year I can say that) in the one league I have him starting and still alive so I didn't need him this week. Just glad he stayed healthy, so maybe next week his is completely 100%. Not sure if they kept him out of the passing routes to make sure he stayed healthy, but I would hope he gets more action next week.

Most teams wil be smart enough to devote more attention away from the LOS when playing the Lions. Oakland was playing the run on the way to the passer at the expense of coverage which was GREAT for Det WRs, but not so much for Smith. Oakland's D line is pretty nasty, and McClain was on top of his game the last 2 weeks (since shooting incident).

Is it possible that the natural grass surface, while maybe being more gentle on Smith's ankle, was a slight detriment to his production? I recall how sharp his cuts were on turf in Detroit and New Orleans -- perhaps TOO sharp. For those who saw the game, can you comment on what impact if any the natural turf of Oakland may have had on Smith's day?

Is it possible that the natural grass surface, while maybe being more gentle on Smith's ankle, was a slight detriment to his production? I recall how sharp his cuts were on turf in Detroit and New Orleans -- perhaps TOO sharp. For those who saw the game, can you comment on what impact if any the natural turf of Oakland may have had on Smith's day?
I don't think it had any impact. Smith was clearly not healthy enough to do much of anything.

'zamboni said:
As a Lion fan, I loved the fact the Megatron went for 9-210-2. Would much rather see more of Megatron than an offense centered around dump off passes. They are good for a change of pace, but that should not be your go to play.

I'm choosing from among Wells, F.Jones and K.Smith this week.

<< I know, keep us informed... >>

There, I did it myself so the ever-worried proper forum police (relatives of Goodell?) don't need to try to suspend me.

For me, I see Wells and Smith as having higher ceilings, and Jones having a higher floor.

With these three, injury risk is everywhere. I mean, when Wells is your "safest" injury risk, you know you have problems.

I'm leaning toward starting Smith due to his potential for a very big day, even if it is low probability. I figure I could get a bust with any of them; might as well go with the guy who has recently been very explosive.

I can live with Smith at 85% or so. But I'm going to try to figure out if he's more like 65%. In that case, I don't think there really is an upside. Obviously, like everyone else, I'll be tuning in to see the daily reports. A lot of us are in this same boat, I suspect. How much credence do you give to upside? And how much upside is really there?

I'm choosing from among Wells, F.Jones and K.Smith this week.<< I know, keep us informed... >>There, I did it myself so the ever-worried proper forum police (relatives of Goodell?) don't need to try to suspend me.For me, I see Wells and Smith as having higher ceilings, and Jones having a higher floor.With these three, injury risk is everywhere. I mean, when Wells is your "safest" injury risk, you know you have problems.I'm leaning toward starting Smith due to his potential for a very big day, even if it is low probability. I figure I could get a bust with any of them; might as well go with the guy who has recently been very explosive.I can live with Smith at 85% or so. But I'm going to try to figure out if he's more like 65%. In that case, I don't think there really is an upside. Obviously, like everyone else, I'll be tuning in to see the daily reports. A lot of us are in this same boat, I suspect. How much credence do you give to upside? And how much upside is really there?
Interesting post (to me anyway). Forum police can eat it. I too have Beanie and Smith, but my 2 other RB's are Rice and Gore. I was wondering if your league was PPR or standard. I don't see starting Smith in any scenario, but Beanie and Gore could be interchangable. Smith really let down a lot of owners last week. (I played him in one league as a flex over A. Hernandez and almost lost because of it). Is it just me, or does his floor seem a lot lower now, after all those 10 pt/quarter games? FBG's nailed it calling him an RB2 with RB1 upside and RB5 downside.

Chargers front 7 is not as good as Oakland, and Oakland was obviously not giving Calvin extra attention. Like I said earlier, the Raiders were playing the run on the way to the QB as a defensive gameplan. Everybody else has been beating the Lions lately by giving Calvin 2 or 3 defenders. If San Diego does this as well, I think Smith has a fine 12-20 points in standard or PPR respectively.

Users who are viewing this thread