What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Krista4's Beatles 1-25 List Thread! Count down will start Mon Feb 14 noon ET. Will take new lists til then... (2 Viewers)

Busily preparing ***official*** write-ups, I nearly forgot to post about this date in history.  Today's a funny one (to me, at least):  on this date in 1962, Brian Epstein brought the Beatles in front of Peter Pilbeam, a producer of radio shows for teenagers at the BBC, in hopes of getting the group onto some shows.  While the group received an overall "yes" from Pilbeam and were booked for a show a few weeks later, Paul didn't fare so well.  Of Paul's performance of "Till There Was You" and "Like Dreamers Do," Pilbeam simply wrote "No."  John, on the other hand, got a "Yes" for "Memphis, Tennessee" and his original song, "Hello Little Girl."

Busily preparing ***official*** write-ups, I nearly forgot to post about this date in history.  Today's a funny one (to me, at least):  on this date in 1962, Brian Epstein brought the Beatles in front of Peter Pilbeam, a producer of radio shows for teenagers at the BBC, in hopes of getting the group onto some shows.  While the group received an overall "yes" from Pilbeam and were booked for a show a few weeks later, Paul didn't fare so well.  Of Paul's performance of "Till There Was You" and "Like Dreamers Do," Pilbeam simply wrote "No."  John, on the other hand, got a "Yes" for "Memphis, Tennessee" and his original song, "Hello Little Girl."
Mr. Pilbeam has a seat in history right next to Michael Jordan’s high school basketball coach.

This happened 52 years ago Friday. First Beatle on Top of the Pop's as a solo artist.

Alan White on drums. Klaus Voorman (Revolver cover art) on bass. Yoko Ono on stool.

(yes, it’s miming, though from the double tracking echo I think John’s mic is on - all the artists, even Hendrix, lip synced that show)

To the uppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!

This happened 52 years ago Friday. First Beatle on Top of the Pop's as a solo artist.

Alan White on drums. Klaus Voorman (Revolver cover art) on bass. Yoko Ono on stool.

(yes, it’s miming, though from the double tracking echo I think John’s mic is on - all the artists, even Hendrix, lip synced that show)

To the uppermost of the poppermost, Johnny!

short/shorn John is a much more powerful & charasmatic figure than the emaciated hippy from the latter Beatles days. 

loved this look on both of 'em -  both chops were done in Central Park on NYE, iirc.

short/shorn John is a much more powerful & charasmatic figure than the emaciated hippy from the latter Beatles days. 

loved this look on both of 'em -  both chops were done in Central Park on NYE, iirc.
Denmark actually

This was during the period they were chasing her daughter (Kyoto Chan Cox) & her dad around Europe. Eventually the ex- kidnapped her, joined a cult, & there was no contact for 23 years.

Last edited by a moderator:
of course it did, but the point is moot, inasmuch that greasy/stringy long hair junkie looks more the feeb than butch cut boy. 

i believe he had kicked by then, tho ... "Cold Turkey" and all.
that’s his account (to RS the following year - 1970), but others say he didn’t get fully clean until 1979 with deprivation therapy 

allegedly never injected but…ya know, addicts…habitual liars  

that’s his account (to RS the following year - 1970), but others say he didn’t get fully clean until 1979 with deprivation therapy.

i thought he was all but completely flushed by the time of his lost weekend, at the latest. 

just boozin' it up with Nilsson, et al, in El Lay - they were the antics/shennanigans of a flat-out drunk (tampon head? 😁), not a smack junkie. 

allegedly never injected but…ya know, addicts…habitual liars  

yes, even when in recovery. 

i thought he was all but completely flushed by the time of his lost weekend, at the latest. 

just boozin' it up with Nilsson, et al, in El Lay - they were the antics/shennanigans of a flat-out drunk (tampon head? 😁), not a smack junkie. 

yes, even when in recovery. 
Memory is a funny thing, no joke. We tell ourselves narratives, and in the retelling we usually soften the edges. Humans, eh.

The other day I found my response to @krista4’s writeup on Rocky Racoon three years ago. Essentially “not my favorite song but has sentimental value, singing it on a beach with my shipmates years ago - though I can’t remember if it was Haifa 🇮🇱 or Palma de Mallorca.” 🇪🇸)

Welp, a few days before - having long ago forgotten my other post -I said almost the same thing. Except the beach was in southern France.

Imma stop giving Macca a hard time for misremembered tales. Middle age is a #####.

Memory is a funny thing, no joke. We tell ourselves narratives, and in the retelling we usually soften the edges. Humans, eh.

The other day I found my response to @krista4’s writeup on Rocky Racoon three years ago. Essentially “not my favorite song but has sentimental value, singing it on a beach with my shipmates years ago - though I can’t remember if it was Haifa 🇮🇱 or Palma de Mallorca.” 🇪🇸)

Welp, a few days before - having long ago forgotten my other post -I said almost the same thing. Except the beach was in southern France.

Imma stop giving Macca a hard time for misremembered tales. Middle age is a #####.

sounds like your personal "No-No" song 

😁

All things considered, Paul has done an incredible job of providing details on the Beatles days. Their schedule was insane and they accomplished tons of things EVERY DAY. That he can remember what happened and what he was thinking back then more than a fraction of the time is remarkable. 

All things considered, Paul has done an incredible job of providing details on the Beatles days. Their schedule was insane and they accomplished tons of things EVERY DAY. That he can remember what happened and what he was thinking back then more than a fraction of the time is remarkable. 

whereas i have no reason to doubt that most of what he recounts is true, it's hella easy to misremember and put one's own spin on things when four of the most important figures (John, George, G. Martin, Epstein) are all gone. 

dunno if a cat who has inhaled so much ganja is really that sharp on the details. 

:shrug:

recently listened to a 28-hour audio version of Anthology. was funny how often young Paul had a different recollection than older Macca. all good - it’s a treasure to have all the interview footage/recordings we do have. I can’t get enough.

whereas i have no reason to doubt that most of what he recounts is true, it's hella easy to misremember and put one's own spin on things when four of the most important figures (John, George, G. Martin, Epstein) are all gone. 

dunno if a cat who has inhaled so much ganja is really that sharp on the details. 

yeah what I’m describing is very similar to combat soldiers sharing recollections. historiography evolves over time - sometimes, more so as we reminisce with others (i.e., if they are more strident we’ll give in thinking well that must be what happened.)

This is why professional historians give greater credence to contemporaneous accounts. Detailed remembrances decades later go through the narrative prism - changes how it is told.

Hope that makes sense. 

the three form an alliance against Faul/Paul (yeah, who didn't see THAT one coming) ... then once the "cute" one is banished, George cozies up to Ringo to get rid of the other "egomaniac star" - leaving the transcendental, gentle genius to outsmart the drummer. 

Harrison, hands down. 

I have until midnight, correct? 🤔

I started the list last night and I intend to complete it during the Superbowl.  I am doing my list in a speed dating format. I am not listening to anything as I do this. I am going off memory and I suppose how I feel right now. I will admit I am struggling to get this done.

I should probably put this in the depression thread but I will put it here. I think I have somewhat found my cure for depression. My personal cure of the moment is to be so busy you don't have time to feel super depressed. I have gone back to school while working full time. I am almost in a continual panic about getting class assignments done on time. One class in particular is a 16 week class condensed to 8 weeks. I did not realize that when I signed up but I am in it now and it is tough. Constant panic are probably the wrong words to use but you get the idea. I will say the satisfaction of finishing an assignment on time is very gratifying. It may be having a challenge and meeting it is what is keeping me level at the moment. I suppose the meds are helping as well. 🙂 

That was a very long winded excuse for being late.

I promise a list by the end of the Super Bowl. 

Finally submitted my list.  My final three cuts:

• Nowhere Man
  • All My Loving
  • If I Fall
Really love all of them but just not enough room, hopefully they got some love from others.
Two of three are on my list.

Funny, I was writing one is these up last night and noted his differing versions of a story, and I specifically ascribed it to weed use, too.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry I wasn’t able to contribute this time around, life has been a little too hectic these last few weeks. 
Sorry to hear.  Best to you and Mrs Punk!

(Also you can use your list from last time if you want.)

I have until midnight, correct? 🤔

I started the list last night and I intend to complete it during the Superbowl.  I am doing my list in a speed dating format. I am not listening to anything as I do this. I am going off memory and I suppose how I feel right now. I will admit I am struggling to get this done.

I should probably put this in the depression thread but I will put it here. I think I have somewhat found my cure for depression. My personal cure of the moment is to be so busy you don't have time to feel super depressed. I have gone back to school while working full time. I am almost in a continual panic about getting class assignments done on time. One class in particular is a 16 week class condensed to 8 weeks. I did not realize that when I signed up but I am in it now and it is tough. Constant panic are probably the wrong words to use but you get the idea. I will say the satisfaction of finishing an assignment on time is very gratifying. It may be having a challenge and meeting it is what is keeping me level at the moment. I suppose the meds are helping as well. 🙂 

That was a very long winded excuse for being late.

I promise a list by the end of the Super Bowl. 

You’re not late!  Happy to hear you’re feeling better.  Your “stay busy” strategy sound like a great one.

the three form an alliance against Faul/Paul (yeah, who didn't see THAT one coming) ... then once the "cute" one is banished, George cozies up to Ringo to get rid of the other "egomaniac star" - leaving the transcendental, gentle genius to outsmart the drummer. 

Harrison, hands down. 
meanwhile Pete Best has spent the last 60 years trying to figure out WTH…

(Occam's razor - he wasn’t that good & Ringo was a better mate…but conspiracy theorist folks say he was too good looking lol)

No extension will be happening.

fair enuff - but when i signed up for this it was supposed to be finished with by now. 

i understand extenuating circumstances pushed it back roughly 2 weeks, but - it's just time to get it the #### on. 

/fin.

👃✌️ <---- for Mr. Starkey. 

meanwhile Pete Best has spent the last 60 years trying to figure out WTH…

(Occam's razor - he wasn’t that good & Ringo was a better mate…but conspiracy theorist folks say he was too good looking lol)

he looked best of 'em all in the ol' pomp hairdo - think he would've bolted once they decided to go all mop-top 

:lol:

fair enuff - but when i signed up for this it was supposed to be finished with by now. 

i understand extenuating circumstances pushed it back roughly 2 weeks, but - it's just time to get it the #### on. 

/fin.

👃✌️ <---- for Mr. Starkey. 
No way am I posting 172 songs in 14 days.  :no: :lmao:

Users who are viewing this thread