What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kubiak fired (1 Viewer)

In 8 seasons with the Texans he had a .500 mark or better 5 times. Twice made the playoffs and also the 1st coach to win a playoff game in Houston, also the first head coach to win playoff games in consecutive seasons. 1st head coach in Houston to make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Good luck finding a replacement Houston, your next coach will impact the next 4-5 years of your franchise, hope it goes well.
Obviously you think the Houston fans are overreacting. And maybe they are venting a lot because of what a big disappointment this season has been considering what the expectations were coming in.

Gary Kubiak has a very good offensive mind and knows how to run a good offense. That alone has helped him get the Texans to be a .500 team. But as a head coach, as others have said, he is far too loyal to "his" coaches and players to the point where it hurts the team.

Getting to the playoffs in your 6th and 7th year of coaching a team is not that great an accomplishment. Winning two playoff games at home against the Bengals with a very substandard Andy Dalton is not that great an accomplishment. Going from 11-1 to start last year to 4-15 since is not that great an accomplishment.

Based on all that, I saw no indications he was ever going to take us any further than the divisional round of the playoffs. After all, in 8 seasons with the Texans, what is his signature win? Winning in Denver in September last year? Maybe, but signature wins in September don't always mean a whole lot when you lose 3 out of 4 games at the end of the season and have to host a wildcard game instead of getting a week off.

I wish him well, but I would like a coach who has a higher ceiling than Kubiak. Even if they are bad without Kubiak, they are currently last in the league with him, so what's the difference?
No problem with your POV, doesn't mean you are right. Miami has not won a playoff game since Dave Wandstedt was HC, haven't really been a threat since Don Shula retired, Jimmy Johnson didn't do that much for the Phins…we're going back 20 years. I really hope you all find what you're looking for and maybe that coach is sitting out there but ask yourself…how often has a coach who has been away from the game other than TV for 3-5 years, when was the last one of these that lead you to the promised land? I can't think of many, some stepped down to a DC/OC type role but they were still breathing it in live every day. I see names tossed around like Gruden, Cowher, and to be honest I would love them as a Phins fan but then again these types of hirings when they happen don't seem to work out that well but maybe someone has a perfect example.

Nice post, I guess I feel bad for him, the mini stroke should not be overlooked and I don't fault the owner for doing this now, I'm sure it wasn't easy for him. The players also need to look at themselves as well. It can't be just flip another QB in and all is well. These guys are not perfect by any stretch and for the most part they did not execute on offense when they needed it. Maybe a new coaching team can shape things up in Houston, good luck to all involved.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are strong rumors that Lovie Smith is wanted in Tampa Bay where he has ties thru Tony Dungy, I'm sure the fans would love for TB to hire him. I'm not saying it is more desirable than Houston but I would look for Schiano to be fired very soon if interviews heat up for Smith.
What this firing does is speed up the thought/action process of every other team thinking about canning their head coach by the end of this season.

Appearing on NFL Insiders Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.
if this pans out it opens up a spot for kubiak in washington
I'd love to see Shanahan go to Houston. Or Beirut. Anyway but DC.

As to Kubiak in Washington, no thanks. We already have a bad HC who's overmatched on Sundays.

so what is the real reason for the Texans failure?

Sure seems like Schaub just lost it and now they are toast
I know tendency is to look for a single scapegoat, but like most meltdowns this colossal, there was a lot going wrong that contributed.

Schaub early on was a mix of very good and very bad. The timing of the very bad was particularly harmful to the team. The fans made it even more toxic and then he totally imploded.

Injuries mounted. Three Pro Bowlers on IR in Cushing, Foster and Owen Daniels. Both starting safeties gone (D. Manning to injury, Ed Reed sucked). Duane Brown missed a couple of games, as did the #2 CB Kareem Jackson. The two other ILBs who platoon have both missed some time, and other backups are on IR, have had to start one guy they signed off the street.

And Foster was a bright spot this season until he was lost. The team definitely felt his loss. I like Tate as a RB, but he isn't Foster. I think it also hurt the passing game, not just as Foster is a better weapon as a receiver, but he's much better handling blitzes than is Tate or Dennis Johnson.

Dumb penalties have been a big issue this year. It's been a near sure thing that Jackson or J-Jo will get a 40 yard PI once or twice a game. The Swearinger penalties last night are an even worse example.

Special teams has been largely atrocious. Keshawn Martin has had some nice returns yardage-wise, but has turned it over too much and in ways the were crushing. Coverage hasn't been great, Randy Bullock has missed a lot of kicks that would have made a difference in the outcome.

Kubiak struggling to keep his job even after the season was lost for the team so his goal (win games) and the organization's goal (give the young guys playing time) were at odds. The stroke didn't help matters at all. Plus all of Kubiak's normal shortcomings, being too conservative when up, etc.

Keenum hasn't done that great in replace of Schaub. Even when he's been able to move the ball, he's made the kind of little mistakes that end up costing you games, like taking sacks when you were in FG range and he could have gotten rid of the ball.

Lack of turnovers cannot be overlooked, and it probably is in most discussions about this. Early on they just didn't get the turnovers. Then in the stretch when Schaub got really bad they got blown out early. The vast majority of turnovers come in the passing game, and teams weren't having to pass for long against them.

The defense has actually been better than I think most would say, even with the loss of Cushing and the starting safeties. They tend to give up a couple of easy scores and otherwise play really stout. But those scores have been too much with either Schaub turning the ball over, or Keenum not moving the offense enough.

7 losses by 7 points or less. Which is an NFL record according to Elias. You do so many of the little things wrong and it adds up on the scoreboard.

Kubiak appears to be one of those guys who is a much better coordinator than head coach. He'll do fine if catches on somewhere next year as an OC, but just look at last year's game against the Patriots on MNF: when an entire team shows up as flat as the Texans did that night, that is on coaching. And considering how big that game was, that was the beginning of the end for Kubiak.

I posted in the game thread last night that they should fire him before the team left the field and let him find his own ride home. This was at halftime when he went ballistic on the refs for supposedly letting two too many seconds run off the clock (meaningless seconds) when he barely gave his safety any grief at all after following up one of the dumbest taunting fouls in NFL history with a defensive holding penalty.

McNair wants to 'evaluate' Case Keenum. Tell you what Bob: He sucks. He isn't a starting NFL quarterback and he never will be.

I have no dog in this race, so I really don't care what the Texans do. But 'evaluating' Case Keenum shouldn't be a priority.

I truly feel sorry for Texans fans if he somehow looks decent enough in the next three games to warrant the team not drafting a QB if one is available.

McNair wants to 'evaluate' Case Keenum. Tell you what Bob: He sucks. He isn't a starting NFL quarterback and he never will be.

I have no dog in this race, so I really don't care what the Texans do. But 'evaluating' Case Keenum shouldn't be a priority.

I truly feel sorry for Texans fans if he somehow looks decent enough in the next three games to warrant the team not drafting a QB if one is available.
I agree Keenum isnt the answer but there is absolutely no point EVER playing Matt Schaub again. His best days are long gone and he wont be here next year. Case will be and even if he is 3rd string behind a vet FA and a rookie he is cheap depth to whom you can give some experience. Not sure why theyd do anything else at this point.

Not a surprise that he was let go, but a little bit of surprise that he's let go before Black Monday. A lot of Houston fans got what they where hoping for.
It was just his time and Marcianos (special teams coach) time also.

I'm also surprised at the venom coming from the Houston fans. Yeah, the team fell apart totally this year. But Kubiak's overall record as a HC was pretty strong IMO. He inherited a 2 - 14 disaster a few years removed from expansion and took the team almost to the top of the league, winning playoff games two years in a row. It might have been time for a change, but no need to kick the guy on his way out the door. Plenty of franchises would gladly take the Kubiak years in Houston over what their team has mustered over the same time frame.
I'm a season ticket holder from day one and those are just a few disgruntled fans. The majority of the fans love and respect Kubiak

and wish him nothing but the best. With all the talent this team has there is no reason to be 2 - 11 and lose to the Jags twice.

Kubiak keeps getting outsmarted by the opposition and cannot make in game adjustments.

He had lost his team and we could tell that several games ago. It is what it is in the NFL. Like McNair said, it's results oriented and Kubiak

was going the opposite direction. Anyway. don't pay attention to the few pathetic fans on this board, the man is loved here in H town.

I'm also surprised at the venom coming from the Houston fans. Yeah, the team fell apart totally this year. But Kubiak's overall record as a HC was pretty strong IMO. He inherited a 2 - 14 disaster a few years removed from expansion and took the team almost to the top of the league, winning playoff games two years in a row. It might have been time for a change, but no need to kick the guy on his way out the door. Plenty of franchises would gladly take the Kubiak years in Houston over what their team has mustered over the same time frame.
I'm in agreement. I believe the team is doing the right thing in moving on from Kubiak, but I think too much of what's said is just long-held frustration finally being fully vented.

Kubiak wasn't a horrible coach, but he did a great job taking the worst roster in the NFL and turning it around into what came close to being a contender. He did better than most of the coaches in the league over that same time frame. As a Houston fan I'm glad he gave me something to cheer about after the utter desolation that was the Casserly-Capers years.

Maybe he'll go out and evaluate himself and improve on the areas he needs to. I don't think that happens, he's too set in his ways which is part of why I think it was time to move on. He's not getting out of this roster what he should be able to. But I don't bear him any malice.

Matt Schaub either. I was just as frustrated as other Texans fans with the poor play and interceptions since the end of last year, and again I think moving on is the right thing to do. But I still recognize he was a better QB than half the teams in the league had for most of his time here, and thank him for that.
As a Texans homer, you are spot on.

Phenix said:
Top of the wish list. No clue if he wants to come back and coach though.
The setting is right.

Big city, nice weather, good defense, potential on offense with some elite talent and production and possibly the #1 pick and ability to have as much say as he wants? I also think he could get a QB via FA or trade (Mallett) and use the #1 Pick on Clowney. Wow!

Good of chance as any to land Cowher.

Appearing on NFL Insiders Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.
if this pans out it opens up a spot for kubiak in washington
Why would Houston want a guy with the exact same philosophy and dumb decision making? It obviously didnt work before.

If Texans do get Shanny (and his unqualified son), I will wish them well deserved failure for years to come.

I hope Shanny gets fired from Washington too, his time as a head coach has ran its course anyways.

In 8 seasons with the Texans he had a .500 mark or better 5 times. Twice made the playoffs and also the 1st coach to win a playoff game in Houston, also the first head coach to win playoff games in consecutive seasons. 1st head coach in Houston to make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Good luck finding a replacement Houston, your next coach will impact the next 4-5 years of your franchise, hope it goes well.
You list these stats like they are going to be impressive. For a franchise that is only 11 years old, they most certainly are not. His past achievements mean nothing when your team loses 11 games in a row and you continue to show selective accountability with your players (ie. benching Tate and Keenum, continuing to trot out Schaub and Bullock). As Lovie Smith learned in Chicago, owners don't pay coaches to just be over .500 all the time, they pay them to win championships. Kubiak was never going to be able to make that leap. Kubiak had a nasty habit of hiring his buddies onto the staff, from the GM, to all his offensive coordinators, to the failed defensive coordinator buddies before McNair made him get Wade. When Coach Joe immediately got fired from the special teams after Kubiak was gone, that should be all the proof you need McNair was sick of Kubiak's buddy system. Kubiak was the only reason Joe has been employed.

No Houston fan is kicking Kubiak on the way out. We all have total respect for Kubiak as a man and person. He never bucked responsibility and he was always total class. We only have beef with his coaching performance. I wish him nothing but the best in his future jobs.

Sweet Love said:
Bracie Smathers said:
Best wishes to Gary, hope he takes care of his health.

I think the reason is obvious, replacing Keenum just to try and salvage his job when he should have kept him in the game to possibly develop him and for the front office to get a better look at Case so they aren't forced to take a QB with the first pick that they seem destined for.

IF Case shows enough over the final three games he might allow the Texans to pass on Bridgewater and trade that pick but more than likely Keenum doesn't show enough and they take Bridge but with the firing of Kubiac it opens the door for Keenum to show what he can do over the last stretch of the season.
I am not saying Keenum can't be a decent starter in the league, but if you are Houston, you don't pass on the chance to draft a guy like Bridgewater. I am not even saying Bridgewater will be better than Keenum (though I really do think he will be), but the chance at a #1 overall should not come around too often and if you (1) have a need at QB and (2) there is a deserving QB at #1, you end it there.
Yeah, I can't see the odds being too high that Texans fans and front office would be saying "Man I'm glad we passed on Bridgewater to keep Keenum" 5 years from now.

What's interesting to me is that there has been no discussion on how this may affect Foster going forward. Kubiak's system is well known for benefiting RBs to a tremendous degree at the expense of leaving the QB extremely vulnerable.

Moving away from Kubiak combined with Foster's back issues have me seeing a major downgrade for both Foster and the entire Houston run game going forward. And yet no mention of that yet. Weird.

What's interesting to me is that there has been no discussion on how this may affect Foster going forward. Kubiak's system is well known for benefiting RBs to a tremendous degree at the expense of leaving the QB extremely vulnerable.

Moving away from Kubiak combined with Foster's back issues have me seeing a major downgrade for both Foster and the entire Houston run game going forward. And yet no mention of that yet. Weird.
Maybe some of us might want to wait and see what type of coach/scheme that comes so we are not typing ill-founded speculation based on empty analysis.

Maybe some of us might want to wait and see what type of coach/scheme that comes so we are not typing ill-founded speculation based on empty analysis.
How many zone blocking scheme coaches are there now? I guess if they bring in a guy with a hurryup offense like Chip Kelly it could be a plus or net wash, but it seems to me that the likelihood is it will be a different system that they likely won't have the exact linemen personnel to run properly yet.

Speculation is the name of the game in FF. Especially for those in keeper and dynasty leagues. If you wait to know for sure, you can end up losing big.

Moving away from the ZBS would make Foster pretty much useless. It is a big time for Foster fantasy owners. If McNair hires a defensive minded coach, maybe he keeps the offensive scheme intact. If not, Foster and Owen Daniels take huge hits imo.

And if Shan & Son end up in Houston it will be the Foster show all over again (if healthy).
I don't see McNair waiting until the end of the season to find a new coach. So Washington would have to can him soon. After Kubiak, there is no way we would want the Shannys as head coach. They are exactly the same.

How many zone blocking scheme coaches are there now?I guess if they bring in a guy with a hurryup offense like Chip Kelly it could be a plus or net wash, but it seems to me that the likelihood is it will be a different system that they likely won't have the exact linemen personnel to run properly yet.

Speculation is the name of the game in FF. Especially for those in keeper and dynasty leagues. If you wait to know for sure, you can end up losing big.
you don't think people are already concerned about foster's back surgery?

The impact of a coaching change has been brought up several times over the last few weeks in the myriad of Foster and Tate threads. Personally I'd rather see one of them bumped to discuss it since there are so many, and this is the only thread devoted to the coach's history and what went into the firing.

The quality of the roster, high draft selection, mediocre division, and no state income taxes makes the Texans head coaching position one I suspect will be filled by a "name" head coaching candidate.

This is the type of situation the likes of David Shaw and Bill Cowher wait for. If offered the job (assuming they want to be a head coach in the NFL) they should take it. Lovie Smith may be a quality head coaching candidate but Houston can do better IMO. Bob McNair should be able to land his #1 choice and have them locked up before the first playoff game kicks off.

I'm guessing McNair is comfortable with the defense and will look at an offensive head coach. I'm also going to assume he wants one with NFL pedigree, one that can make it work with players like Andre Johnson and Arian Foster already on board and a rookie signal caller like Teddy Bridgewater behind center. That leads me to somebody like Jon Gruden being the name head coach that comes out of the MNF booth to lead the Texans into their next phase.

I sure hope that he doesn't get too stressed out and hurt his heart again or whatever happened at halftime of that one game. I may make some bad comments about the guy, but he really is a class act.

There are strong rumors that Lovie Smith is wanted in Tampa Bay where he has ties thru Tony Dungy, I'm sure the fans would love for TB to hire him. I'm not saying it is more desirable than Houston but I would look for Schiano to be fired very soon if interviews heat up for Smith.
What this firing does is speed up the thought/action process of every other team thinking about canning their head coach by the end of this season.
Looks like the Redskins have speeded things up.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10101919/mike-shanahan-was-ready-quit-washington-redskins-2012-season

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2013/12/08/report-shanahan-was-ready-to-leave-redskins-in-january/

Obviously you think the Houston fans are overreacting. And maybe they are venting a lot because of what a big disappointment this season has been considering what the expectations were coming in.

Gary Kubiak has a very good offensive mind and knows how to run a good offense. That alone has helped him get the Texans to be a .500 team. But as a head coach, as others have said, he is far too loyal to "his" coaches and players to the point where it hurts the team.

Getting to the playoffs in your 6th and 7th year of coaching a team is not that great an accomplishment. Winning two playoff games at home against the Bengals with a very substandard Andy Dalton is not that great an accomplishment. Going from 11-1 to start last year to 4-15 since is not that great an accomplishment.

Based on all that, I saw no indications he was ever going to take us any further than the divisional round of the playoffs. After all, in 8 seasons with the Texans, what is his signature win? Winning in Denver in September last year? Maybe, but signature wins in September don't always mean a whole lot when you lose 3 out of 4 games at the end of the season and have to host a wildcard game instead of getting a week off.

I wish him well, but I would like a coach who has a higher ceiling than Kubiak. Even if they are bad without Kubiak, they are currently last in the league with him, so what's the difference?
No problem with your POV, doesn't mean you are right. Miami has not won a playoff game since Dave Wandstedt was HC, haven't really been a threat since Don Shula retired, Jimmy Johnson didn't do that much for the Phins…we're going back 20 years. I really hope you all find what you're looking for and maybe that coach is sitting out there but ask yourself…how often has a coach who has been away from the game other than TV for 3-5 years, when was the last one of these that lead you to the promised land? I can't think of many, some stepped down to a DC/OC type role but they were still breathing it in live every day. I see names tossed around like Gruden, Cowher, and to be honest I would love them as a Phins fan but then again these types of hirings when they happen don't seem to work out that well but maybe someone has a perfect example.

Nice post, I guess I feel bad for him, the mini stroke should not be overlooked and I don't fault the owner for doing this now, I'm sure it wasn't easy for him. The players also need to look at themselves as well. It can't be just flip another QB in and all is well. These guys are not perfect by any stretch and for the most part they did not execute on offense when they needed it. Maybe a new coaching team can shape things up in Houston, good luck to all involved.
So you're missing all the championships Wannstadt would have brought you, if they hadn't fired him? Just kidding, just trying to make a point.

As others of said, I appreciate Gary Kubiak as a person, but he wasn't, and I don't think ever will be a great head coach. I hope he hooks on with the right team as an offensive coordinator. I attribute much of Shanahan's success in Denver after Elway and Davis left, to Kubiak. After Kubiak left in 2005 Shanahan has been a mediocre to bad head coach.

Besides living in Houston and being a Texans fan as a result, I grew up in Philadelphia so I am still a big Eagles fan. I liked Andy Reid a lot, but think they got rid of him at the right time. Seeing what Chip Kelly has done so far, I am very excited for that team and its future. I hope Houston can make a similar hire and have a similar turnaround.

I appreciate your well wishes for everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread