What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kubiak fired (1 Viewer)

Well at if we get Lovie our special teams will be the complete opposite of Marcianos sorry group
Considering what they saw in Chicago... I wouldn't be doing backflips for Lovie if I'm a Houston fan...

I'd go kick the tires on Sumlin.
Sumlin just signed a long-term contract so he's out.

Here is the list compiled by Houston beat writer John McCLain.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/12/potential-coaching-candidates-to-replace-gary-kubiak/#18642-1

Potential coaching candidates to replace Gary KubiakPosted on December 6, 2013 at 11:17 am by John McClain in 2013 season, General, Houston Texans
1. Jon Gruden, analyst, ESPNJust about everyone figures he’ll return at some point. Owners continue to check out his interest

2, Lovie Smith, former head coach, ChicagoThe native Texan led the Bears to a Super Bowl and was fired after going 10-6 last season

3, Wade Phillips, defensive coordinator, TexansThe interim coach took three teams – Denver, Buffalo and Dallas -- to the playoffs as a head coach

4. Darrell Bevell, offensive coordinator, SeattleBefore running the Seahawks’ offense and coaching Russell Wilson, he was the coordinator at Minnesota and Green Bay.
5. Gus Malzahn, head coach, Auburn

The native Texan has been a head coach for two seasons, but he helped Auburn win a national title as offensive coordinator.

6. Bill O’Brien, head coach, Penn State

The former New England assistant under Bill Belichick has done a solid job under difficult circumstances

7. Todd Bowles, defensive coordinator, Arizona

He’s got 15 years of NFL coaching experience, and he’s doing an outstanding job with the Cardinals’ defense.

8. Pete Carmichael, offensive coordinator, New Orleans

This is his eighth season with the Saints, and they’ve had one of the league’s most prolific offenses.

9. David Shaw, head coach, Stanford

The former NFL assistant is so hot right now he can almost have his pick of jobs if he wants to move.

10. Greg Roman, offensive coordinator, San Francisco

The former Texans’ assistant excelled under Jim Harbaugh at Stanford and followed him to the 49ers.

=====================

Shocked that Browns DC Ray Horton didn't even get a mention by McClain.
Sumlin signed an extension with a COLLEGE team... which is pretty meaningless for the chance to jump to the NFL. IMO that just keeps him from going to UT or USC or any of the other jobs in college. If the NFL comes knocking, and he's losing JFF and Evans... I'd bet he listens.

And McClain either isn't very informed or isn't very smart - I'd be pissed (if I was a Texans fan) if they hired any of the top 3 on that list. Idk if Gruden's ever returning to the field - generally doesn't end well when a guy has been out for that long. Lovie wasn't awesome in Chicago. Phillips has been a complete train wreck as a HC at every chance.

Surely they realize all of this.

If I were hiring and came out of the interview thinking he was a good leaders and not just a good X/O guy I'd start with Bowles.

Wicked vibes and posts mixed with a fair amount of naivety. Regardless of current feelings for Kubiak I am surprised so many folks have such hatred for the guy. He was looked at very highly as a coordinator before he landed in Houston. He was the 1st coach to lead the Texans into the playoffs. The guy stroked out coaching the team this year, unbelievable pressure cooker is the NFL. I wish him nothing but the best and regardless of your hatred for Schaub, he will be starting somewhere next season as he is way better than anything the bottom 5-10 teams have on roster or can find in the draft next year so I fully expect Schaub to go somewhere and actually be relevant.

He'll be 33 yrs old next season, still 2- solid years left for a franchise that might need a veteran QB with enough talent surrounding him. I can think of a couple where he could be signed rather quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
There are strong rumors that Lovie Smith is wanted in Tampa Bay where he has ties thru Tony Dungy, I'm sure the fans would love for TB to hire him. I'm not saying it is more desirable than Houston but I would look for Schiano to be fired very soon if interviews heat up for Smith.

Eminence said:
Gruden? If there's a prospective at QB he likes. I remember him gushing over Russell Wilson from Day 1.
Is there one he doesn't like is the real question. He's such a hack.

In 8 seasons with the Texans he had a .500 mark or better 5 times. Twice made the playoffs and also the 1st coach to win a playoff game in Houston, also the first head coach to win playoff games in consecutive seasons. 1st head coach in Houston to make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Good luck finding a replacement Houston, your next coach will impact the next 4-5 years of your franchise, hope it goes well.

JFS171 said:
Sumlin signed an extension with a COLLEGE team... which is pretty meaningless for the chance to jump to the NFL. IMO that just keeps him from going to UT or USC or any of the other jobs in college. If the NFL comes knocking, and he's losing JFF and Evans... I'd bet he listens.

And McClain either isn't very informed or isn't very smart - I'd be pissed (if I was a Texans fan) if they hired any of the top 3 on that list. Idk if Gruden's ever returning to the field - generally doesn't end well when a guy has been out for that long. Lovie wasn't awesome in Chicago. Phillips has been a complete train wreck as a HC at every chance.

Sumlin signed that contract knowing that Gary Kubiac would very-likely be fired.

He seemed to use the talk of him replacing Gary as leverage.

Not sure of the legalese of the contract but even if he technically 'could' walk from the newly signed college contact and the Texans made him an offer, IF he walked he would like like a d-bag and I think he would never would have signed that contract if he was angling for the Texan job.

Kubiak likely ends up as the COlts OC next year, replacing Pep Hamilton and, at this rate, might bring Ben Tate with him.

THe vacancy now suddenly looks a lot like the Chiefs this year. Team with some good talent with a totally inept season and a top draft pick.

Go get the right coach, Houston, and you may find yourselves back in a competing position.

Kubiak likely ends up as the COlts OC next year, replacing Pep Hamilton and, at this rate, might bring Ben Tate with him.

THe vacancy now suddenly looks a lot like the Chiefs this year. Team with some good talent with a totally inept season and a top draft pick.

Go get the right coach, Houston, and you may find yourselves back in a competing position.
And he may work out well as the OC. Just don't let him be HC because he has no balls.

Why would he bring Ben Tate there and why would Tate want to go there? He is one of the few guys Kubiak actually held accountable and benched several times.Personally I don't really want to retread NFL coach... I'd rather get a guy like Shaw or Bill O'Brien... Someone who can make their mark and their legacy here.

Can't see Bill O'Brien leaving Penn State for the Texans. Sure, he'll eventually get an offer he can't refuse, but what ties does he have to the area? And the owner has already come out saying it's a short rebuilding process. Why leave the safety of Happy Valley for what could be a pressure-packed,short-term gig?

I could see BoB being a candidate in NY if Coughlin ever decided to retire.

Start dialing up the retreads!
Which is the problem to begin with. Everyone knows everyone's game. Those that can't make adjustments...KUBIAK, eventually....after a lot of pain, get fired.

Which brings me to the topic of OC. This Gilbride fella used to coach the run and shoot in HOU in the early 90s. The spread O is nothing more than the run & shoot w/3 WRs and a TE. So what happened to that guy? now his offense resembles what comes outta my ###.

Yesterday morning, Ross Tucker was saying he couldn't believe nobody has hired Mike Zimmer as a HC. He wondered if Gus Bradley's success would lead people to hire a defensive guy like Zimmer.

I'm also surprised at the venom coming from the Houston fans. Yeah, the team fell apart totally this year. But Kubiak's overall record as a HC was pretty strong IMO. He inherited a 2 - 14 disaster a few years removed from expansion and took the team almost to the top of the league, winning playoff games two years in a row. It might have been time for a change, but no need to kick the guy on his way out the door. Plenty of franchises would gladly take the Kubiak years in Houston over what their team has mustered over the same time frame.

Can't see Bill O'Brien leaving Penn State for the Texans. Sure, he'll eventually get an offer he can't refuse, but what ties does he have to the area? And the owner has already come out saying it's a short rebuilding process. Why leave the safety of Happy Valley for what could be a pressure-packed,short-term gig?

I don't follow. Why are you saying it would be a short term gig?

Ministry of Pain said:
Wicked vibes and posts mixed with a fair amount of naivety. Regardless of current feelings for Kubiak I am surprised so many folks have such hatred for the guy. He was looked at very highly as a coordinator before he landed in Houston. He was the 1st coach to lead the Texans into the playoffs. The guy stroked out coaching the team this year, unbelievable pressure cooker is the NFL. I wish him nothing but the best and regardless of your hatred for Schaub, he will be starting somewhere next season as he is way better than anything the bottom 5-10 teams have on roster or can find in the draft next year so I fully expect Schaub to go somewhere and actually be relevant.

He'll be 33 yrs old next season, still 2- solid years left for a franchise that might need a veteran QB with enough taint surrounding him. I can think of a couple where he could be signed rather quickly.
In 8 seasons with the Texans he had a .500 mark or better 5 times. Twice made the playoffs and also the 1st coach to win a playoff game in Houston, also the first head coach to win playoff games in consecutive seasons. 1st head coach in Houston to make the 2nd round of the playoffs.

Good luck finding a replacement Houston, your next coach will impact the next 4-5 years of your franchise, hope it goes well.
I'm also surprised at the venom coming from the Houston fans. Yeah, the team fell apart totally this year. But Kubiak's overall record as a HC was pretty strong IMO. He inherited a 2 - 14 disaster a few years removed from expansion and took the team almost to the top of the league, winning playoff games two years in a row. It might have been time for a change, but no need to kick the guy on his way out the door. Plenty of franchises would gladly take the Kubiak years in Houston over what their team has mustered over the same time frame.
Agree 100%

I'm in agreement. I believe the team is doing the right thing in moving on from Kubiak, but I think too much of what's said is just long-held frustration finally being fully vented.

Kubiak wasn't a horrible coach, but he did a great job taking the worst roster in the NFL and turning it around into what came close to being a contender. He did better than most of the coaches in the league over that same time frame. As a Houston fan I'm glad he gave me something to cheer about after the utter desolation that was the Casserly-Capers years.

Maybe he'll go out and evaluate himself and improve on the areas he needs to. I don't think that happens, he's too set in his ways which is part of why I think it was time to move on. He's not getting out of this roster what he should be able to. But I don't bear him any malice.

Matt Schaub either. I was just as frustrated as other Texans fans with the poor play and interceptions since the end of last year, and again I think moving on is the right thing to do. But I still recognize he was a better QB than half the teams in the league had for most of his time here, and thank him for that.

McNair said he expects the rebuild will NOT be long-term, which to me sounds like he expects to win right away. If the new guy doesn't win right away, how much patience would the owner show?

ETA - you also have the scenario that happened with Mike Mularkey....Get hired by GM living on borrowed time, owner whacks GM, new GM brings in his own guy.

JFS171 said:

Sumlin signed that contract knowing that Gary Kubiac would very-likely be fired.He seemed to use the talk of him replacing Gary as leverage.

Not sure of the legalese of the contract but even if he technically 'could' walk from the newly signed college contact and the Texans made him an offer, IF he walked he

would like like a d-bag and I think he would never would have signed that contract if he was angling for the Texan job.
If I read correcly sumlins contract is prohibative to get out of for two or three season

McNair said he expects the rebuild will NOT be long-term, which to me sounds like he expects to win right away. If the new guy doesn't win right away, how much patience would the owner show?

ETA - you also have the scenario that happened with Mike Mularkey....Get hired by GM living on borrowed time, owner whacks GM, new GM brings in his own guy.
Well McNair's track record shows that he is pretty darn patient....

Well McNair's track record shows that he is pretty darn patient....
He definitely is, I actually think that's a good characteristic for an NFL owner.

But on the long or short term... yes McNair expects to get back to the playoffs right away. They should because the roster has a lot of talent on it still, right?

If it was being asked to go to <pick your choice for worst roster in the NFL> and win short term I'd agree it might not be very desirable. But this should be more of an opportunity like the Chiefs was with Reid than, say, what Gus Bradley hired on to after last year.

I'm in agreement. I believe the team is doing the right thing in moving on from Kubiak, but I think too much of what's said is just long-held frustration finally being fully vented.

Kubiak wasn't a horrible coach, but he did a great job taking the worst roster in the NFL and turning it around into what came close to being a contender. He did better than most of the coaches in the league over that same time frame. As a Houston fan I'm glad he gave me something to cheer about after the utter desolation that was the Casserly-Capers years.

Maybe he'll go out and evaluate himself and improve on the areas he needs to. I don't think that happens, he's too set in his ways which is part of why I think it was time to move on. He's not getting out of this roster what he should be able to. But I don't bear him any malice.

Matt Schaub either. I was just as frustrated as other Texans fans with the poor play and interceptions since the end of last year, and again I think moving on is the right thing to do. But I still recognize he was a better QB than half the teams in the league had for most of his time here, and thank him for that.
Yeah a lot of venting going on, but what more do you expect on a message board? I liked Kubiak and hope he takes time to get his health right. I briefly got to meet him once and shake his hand and he seemed like a genuinely likable guy. He'll probably make someone a very good OC and maybe even get another shot at a head coaching gig if he stays healthy. From what I hear though he's got the habits of the guys you see on MadMen, work-a-holic that loves his red meat, scotch and cigars.

It's time to part ways though and I'm hoping that means with Marciano & Wade as well.

Kubiak and schuab were never embraced in houston. Many if not most fans wanted. Kubiak fird after 2010 and a large group did not want schuab extended. Neither public personality is particularly interesting or engaging. They were like person in your circle you did not mind so much but ionce anything goes wrong( especially really wrong) people are ready for them to go away.

Kubes was a good, stand up guy and ran a pretty nice offense, but he was a putz on Sundays. Couldn't handle basic stuff like clock management and challenges. He was also way too conservative with a lead. Was typically very anxious to kick field goals and punt rather than go for it on 4th down or get aggressive.

But he did milk everything he could out of Schaub. The guy wasn't mobile and didn't have a big arm but he has a career 7.7 YPA which is largely due to his high completion percentage which I think it largely due to Kubiak designing/calling plays that played to Schaub's strengths.

One of my biggest complaints with Kubiak was his loyalty. He kept bringing in scrubs from Denver and promoting sh***y coaches from within. If Wade Smith hadn't been forced on him, our defense would be substantially worse. Frank Bush was a disaster.

Appearing on NFL Insiders Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.
if this pans out it opens up a spot for kubiak in washington

Yesterday morning, Ross Tucker was saying he couldn't believe nobody has hired Mike Zimmer as a HC. He wondered if Gus Bradley's success would lead people to hire a defensive guy like Zimmer.
Eventually someone is going to wake up on Zimmer, and they're going to get themselves a helluva coach. I was beating the drum for him in Carolina, and honestly thought he'd be the coach in 2014+... Obviously Riverboat Ron has completely changed that picture, as he loosed the reins and started coaching to win. Perhaps that's as good an indication as any that a patient owner can sometimes be rewarded - RR isn't going anywhere now.

That's also a situation where the GM was fired and coach retained -- while it was assumed RR would be canned this year by Gettleman, there's no chance of that now. And given the results of last year's draft, it would appear the two key members of this new regime function well together.

Point being, Smith's going to hire the coach he feels is best for the job. If McNair ultimately decides Smith isn't the right GM, that's not automatically damning for the coach.

Back to Zimmer - he's very blunt and dry, and from what I've read and heard/seen on twitter, radio, etc, he's not the best when it comes to interviewing. Part of that is due to the bluntness - there's no sugar coating with that guy, and there's no shades of gray. Sometimes that doesn't get you the job... but it doesn't mean he won't be a great HC one day.

Appearing on NFL Insiders Friday, ESPN's Chris Mortensen floated current Redskins coach Mike Shanahan as a possible candidate for the Texans' head-coaching vacancy.
Would Kyle Shanahan go with his dad? Or would the Redskins try to promote him to HC to maintain continuity for RGIII and Morris?

Would Kyle Shanahan go with his dad? Or would the Redskins try to promote him to HC to maintain continuity for RGIII and Morris?
I think Kyle is on shakier ground than his father with the way the offense has come crashing back to Earth.. Just spitballin', but I could see a scenario where Snyder wants Kyle fired, Mike refuses, and Snyder uses that as grounds for termination.

Wish they would have fired him before the game last night ...before he he had a chance to destroys Tates stats.

Obviously you think the Houston fans are overreacting. And maybe they are venting a lot because of what a big disappointment this season has been considering what the expectations were coming in.

Gary Kubiak has a very good offensive mind and knows how to run a good offense. That alone has helped him get the Texans to be a .500 team. But as a head coach, as others have said, he is far too loyal to "his" coaches and players to the point where it hurts the team.

Getting to the playoffs in your 6th and 7th year of coaching a team is not that great an accomplishment. Winning two playoff games at home against the Bengals with a very substandard Andy Dalton is not that great an accomplishment. Going from 11-1 to start last year to 4-15 since is not that great an accomplishment.

Based on all that, I saw no indications he was ever going to take us any further than the divisional round of the playoffs. After all, in 8 seasons with the Texans, what is his signature win? Winning in Denver in September last year? Maybe, but signature wins in September don't always mean a whole lot when you lose 3 out of 4 games at the end of the season and have to host a wildcard game instead of getting a week off.

I wish him well, but I would like a coach who has a higher ceiling than Kubiak. Even if they are bad without Kubiak, they are currently last in the league with him, so what's the difference?

if they wanted continuity they'd keep shanahan sr

I'd be shocked if jr outlasts sr

What an awesome situation for a new coach to walk into, especially if they end up picking really high in the draft and land a future franchise QB. Too much talent for this team not to rebound big time next year.

I can see a scenario where Mike keeps his job, Kyle gets replaced by Kubiak as OC.

Users who are viewing this thread